Warcraft 3: ROC

crystalklear64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Planning on trying this game out again. Got super frustrated upon my initial plays due to there being way too much stuff for me to keep track of, but I want to give it another go.

Gonna need some people to play with, and I don't have Frozen Throne.

Anyone interested LMK.

This is neither here nor there, but wouldn't it be awesome if there was a SC VS WC game? Undead VS Zerg or Humans VS Protoss?

I have it, we could play sometime if you'd like. I just need to figure out how to assign hotkeys ingame again and I'll be set.

I'd love to play with you on B.net sometime, but you should also get Frozen Throne, Defense of the Ancients Allstars is one of the most addicting map settings games ever created. PM your name and realm and we'll play sometime

ck, an easy comp can actually be pretty tough.. don't get discouraged. the learning curve is high because it's such a deep game. seriously, with a little practice it's one of the most rewarding videogames ever made.

I've literally played thousands of ladder matches, and surely 10k+ games total... I spent like 2 years of my life playing WC3 70+ hrs a week. Even then, I was just top 100 on USEast.. most games that kind of dedication would make you a top player worldwide. Yeah.. man.. that was a dark time for me...

But really the game is absolutely amazing once you get decent at it. Instead of jumping right into 1v1's on ladder or vs comps, try finding equally newb friends, or give team games a shot (so you sometimes win thanks to your ally).

The best tip I can give any new player is keep your hero active all the time and spend all your resources. The two biggest mistakes newbs usually make is keeping an idle hero (just hanging around their base or something) and letting their resources pile up. Keep your hero either creeping or terrorizing, keep resources spent, and you're bound to get better pretty quickly. Once you're about on par with Normal comps, start watching replays to pick up the more advanced tricks, and just practice to increase your micro.

Or, of course, you could do like most people and fall back on custom maps... tower defense maps & DotA can be pretty fun... they aren't nearly as deep & rewarding as the main game, but still entertaining.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I think I changed my mind after getting rolled repeatedly by the comp on easy. Brings back why I hated it.[/quote]

Same reason why I hate this fucking game. I'm an avid RTS player ... love every single one I've played and played each one for hours upon hours. Never in my life had I had so much trouble against an easy computer then warcraft 3. I would always get stomped so quickly. Hell I don't think one match I ever had was longer then 15 mins.

I see that more stores have been carrying the game now too ... every time I see it I just remember frustrating match after match and want to throw the box across the store.

I used to have WC:3, lost track of the CD and CD-Key though. The main attraction for me was the custom content like DotA and TD's so I never really got in to the actual RTS component.

How much of the campaign have you played? Trying that can help you ease into learning how to play, using certain units, etc. Easy skirmishes and observing online 1v1's can help too, as mentioned. One of the big things is not to stand at your base and assume you'll be able to fend off an attack. A lot of times the computer won't come near your base till they have a decent force, and if you don't have a good army and you haven't leveled up your heroes, it's over.

I've never gotten as good at this game as I was able to in Starcraft, but if you play enough you should see improvement. If that fails, things like Dota, Footies, and Enfos are always fun...

[quote name='Koggit']The best tip I can give any new player is keep your hero active all the time and spend all your resources.[/quote]

Keep enough for a new town hall or whatever so you don't screw yourself over once a goldmine runs out, but otherwise yeah.

I'm an avid RTS player and I always hated that I couldn't micro enough in WC3. In any skirmish match the AI could do way more than you could. I really like the fact that the dev of Halo Wars limited the AI as they were a human so they couldn't micro every unit on the map. I still have fond memories of WC3 though, mainly the campagin and yea custom maps.

[quote name='TruthinessFC']How much of the campaign have you played? Trying that can help you ease into learning how to play, using certain units, etc. Easy skirmishes and observing online 1v1's can help too, as mentioned. One of the big things is not to stand at your base and assume you'll be able to fend off an attack. A lot of times the computer won't come near your base till they have a decent force, and if you don't have a good army and you haven't leveled up your heroes, it's over.

I've never gotten as good at this game as I was able to in Starcraft, but if you play enough you should see improvement. If that fails, things like Dota, Footies, and Enfos are always fun...

Keep enough for a new town hall or whatever so you don't screw yourself over once a goldmine runs out, but otherwise yeah.[/QUOTE]
I've cleared the campaign without too much issue, but it doesn't seem much like the actual online part of the game to me.

I also love playing DOTA, but everyone seems to have moved on to DOTA allstars, which requires frozen throne.

The only custom maps i've seen for ROC online were hero line defense games, and there were 5 of them.

I think one of my issues is that I don't even know the units well enough. I've just been playing humans since they seem to be straight forward. The footmen look like a pretty sturdy unit, I assume they are your basic meatshield tank unit, so my "strategy" so far has been to build a few of those, upgrade their weapons/armor, then build a hero, then go start killing the npc monsters. However, as soon as I go off killing monsters, and this never fails, I'll be attacked by some army of ridiculous size and a level 6 hero at my town, when I've just reached level 3 and a level 1. Now, I can usually survive that attack thanks to my defensive structures being able to hold them off till I can run my ass all the way back to my town, but it costs me my whole army and at least 1 hero most of the time. Then in a couple of minutes, the second wave comes and I get destroyed.

Just tried again, got owned of course, but this time I saved a replay to see what the computer was doing.

It just caused even more rage.

I was ahead of the computer in everything, I got my units out first, starting killing the monsters first, even established my second base first. That didn't seem to matter though, because once our forces met, it STILL somehow managed to beat me. Even with 2 guard towers on my side. I just don't understand what I can do different. Apart from, you know, not losing.

word of warning to those of you who haven't played DotA. it's super competitive and everybody and there mother thinks they are super pro and better than you. seriously, if you die once or twice and are trying to learn (it's got a steep learning cuve, takes quite a few games to learn the ins and outs), they'll probably just tell to you leave because "they'll do better without you."

the holier than thou jackass community is why i don't play DotA anymore.

[quote name='TruthinessFC']Keep enough for a new town hall or whatever so you don't screw yourself over once a goldmine runs out, but otherwise yeah.[/QUOTE]

Never should you be in a situation where you only have one goldmine that's about to collapse.. you should only have one goldmine in the very beginning. Fast expand should have a second mine within 8 minutes, standard tech should be around 15 minutes.. when your first collapses the second will still have a good deal left. Most games will end long before the second collapses, but in long games you should get a third when the second is around 50%...

[quote name='crystalklear64']Just tried again, got owned of course, but this time I saved a replay to see what the computer was doing.

It just caused even more rage.

I was ahead of the computer in everything, I got my units out first, starting killing the monsters first, even established my second base first. That didn't seem to matter though, because once our forces met, it STILL somehow managed to beat me. Even with 2 guard towers on my side. I just don't understand what I can do different. Apart from, you know, not losing.[/QUOTE]

focus fire your units, retreat your weak units, keep hero alive and keep its mana down, kill their hero, there I taught you how to play WC3 :D

ck, if you want I can observe you play vs a computer (or person) on bnet and and give some tips.. if I'm in as ref I can talk to you as you play, that might be helpful, some real-time feedback

You guys are pretty hardcore. I just blew most of my weekend to almost finish ROC on normal. I think it's a pretty fun game but I'm just in it for kicks...

[quote name='camoor']You guys are pretty hardcore.[/QUOTE]
no way..

Korean professional gamer Jae Ho "Moon" Jang has signed a three-year, $486,500 contract to play with WeMade FOX in the Korean gaming leagues.
that guy is..

though I've never played moon (he played kalimdor-only when I played lorderon), back in my heyday I used to play with the 4k guys who often played with him.. so I'm two degrees away from a guy that makes $162k/yr clicking wisps.

[quote name='Koggit']no way..

that guy is..

though I've never played moon (he played kalimdor-only when I played lorderon), back in my heyday I used to play with the 4k guys who often played with him.. so I'm two degrees away from a guy that makes $162k/yr clicking wisps.[/QUOTE]

You ever play for a team Koggit?

Kinda hard to believe you are anywhere close to moon since I know all the top North American players and they can't touch Moon

bread's done
Back