Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II - Gold Edition [PC Digital Download] $4.99 at Amazon

Thanks, I have wanted these games and for $5 I can't pass them up no matter my how many games I have in my backlog.

[quote name='Gamehead']I wonder when the expansion will be $10 or less.[/QUOTE]

Amazon did match Retribution at $7.49 back when Steam did it, some time ago...before Steam jacked the price up to $15, not too long later.
So, you might wanna keep ya eyes peeled...

[quote name='The End']The list of games that can be activated on Steam doesn't mention the warhammer series.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

I know that that list has gaps, so it's possible that it does activate. Can anybody verify that though?[/QUOTE]

Look again
Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7

I activated DOW 2: Gold fine on Steam.
Keep in mind, DOW2: Gold requires both Steam and G4WL.

[quote name='The End']The list of games that can be activated on Steam doesn't mention the warhammer series.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

I know that list has gaps, so it's possible that it does activate. Can anybody verify it though?[/QUOTE]

Its not that it has gaps it is just that it lists things differently. They are listed as Dawn of War and not Warhammer. And I can assure that it activates because I just bought it via Amazon and it works just fine.

[quote name='MysterD']Look again

I activated DOW 2: Gold fine on Steam.
Keep in mind, DOW2: Gold requires both Steam and G4WL.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. I looked for Warhammer. Glad I was wrong. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks also to Kaltic

[quote name='Kaltic']Its not that it has gaps it is just that it lists things differently. They are listed as Dawn of War and not Warhammer. And I can assure that it activates because I just bought it via Amazon and it works just fine.[/QUOTE]

There are definitely gaps. Game of Thrones: Genesis, Stronghold 3, Hamiliton's Great Adventure, Sequence etc off the top of my head.

The list is not an end all be all by any means, but Amazon is pretty good about specifying if a game requires Steam, even if it is in the fine print. You can also try searching the user reviews for the word "Steam". If a game does require it, it's almost guaranteed at least one person will bitch about that in the reviews. :p

So I went ahead and bought it.

I've activated keys for games before, but this is the first time that I've ever tried to activate a game bought at another digital distribution store. If I were to activate this game on Steam, would that prevent me from ever playing this game through Amazon? I probably wouldn't want to ever play it through Amazon, but I'm just curious as to how it works.

[quote name='The End']So I went ahead and bought it.

I've activated keys for games before, but this is the first time that I've ever tried to activate a game bought at another digital distribution store. If I were to activate this game on Steam, would that prevent me from ever playing this game through Amazon? I probably wouldn't want to ever play it through Amazon, but I'm just curious as to how it works.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, no, it shouldn't prevent you from downloading/playing from Amazon's game client. Think of getting the key to activate on Steam as a bonus (much like those Humble Indie Bundles that always pops up). Come to think of it, DoWII might be a Steamworks game. If so, it would then require Steam to play.

And in regards to the deal: totally worth it. Even if you have only a slight interest in fantasy-RTS.

[quote name='immanewb']As far as I know, no, it shouldn't prevent you from downloading/playing from Amazon's game client. Think of getting the key to activate on Steam as a bonus (much like those Humble Indie Bundles that always pops up). Come to think of it, DoWII might be a Steamworks game. If so, it would then require Steam to play.

And in regards to the deal: totally worth it. Even if you have only a slight interest in fantasy-RTS.[/QUOTE]

DOW2: Gold Edition requires both Steam and G4WL.

Retribution dropped G4WL; it ONLY requires Steam.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Been pretty interested in the series but always held off...for $5 I'm in.[/QUOTE]

I love DoWII, haven't gotten retribution yet waiting for a sale but have beaten vanilla & Chaos. Anyway I've been playing DoWII casually for the past two years (it's GFWL as well as steam required) so I have achievements dating back to 2009 haha. Anyway GREAT games, a very nice change of pace from SC2, more micro based with very good RPG elements in terms of gear and skills. Basically control hero units. Anyway $5 I think for any RTS fans + steam fans it's a no brainer.

Enjoy!

FYI, if you buy this and already own DoW II, you will be able to gift the extra copy.

I mention this because it is not always the case (like owning a title in a Humble Indie Bundle)

Quick question to those who bought it; do you get two separate keys?
I already have the original, just want it for the Chaos rising. I would like to be able to give away the other key.

[quote name='wedge119']Quick question to those who bought it; do you get two separate keys?
I already have the original, just want it for the Chaos rising. I would like to be able to give away the other key.[/QUOTE]

Haha... 1 post up my friend :)

[quote name='The End']Just one key.[/QUOTE]

It's 1 key but it activates on Steam as 2 products. You can gift the extra DoWII.

[quote name='mikejenks']Haha... 1 post up my friend :)

It's 1 key but it activates on Steam as 2 products. You can gift the extra DoWII.[/QUOTE]

Busted!
Thanks for the info, that's what I needed.

This deal will prompt me to finally create a Steam account just for my wife, so she can get this game from Amazon for $5 and play it with me co-op.

Great deal for a ton of gaming!

Now, here is to hoping that the Steam program when its signed in on hers, doesn't make us download it again on the computer that she usually uses, cause its on the harddrive already from my Steam account.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='brokenpavement']Thanks, OP! In for one. I was planning on waiting for the next Steam sale, but I don't see it getting much cheaper![/QUOTE]

I don't see it getting much cheaper either, but I never kick myself for purchasing a good game for $5 or under, regardless of what the price is in the future.

In for 1!

Thanks OP, I didn't see this deal mentioned in the official Amazon DD thread and it's of much greater interest to me, personally, than those posted.

[quote name='loomis1975']This deal will prompt me to finally create a Steam account just for my wife, so she can get this game from Amazon for $5 and play it with me co-op.

Great deal for a ton of gaming!

Now, here is to hoping that the Steam program when its signed in on hers, doesn't make us download it again on the computer that she usually uses, cause its on the harddrive already from my Steam account.[/QUOTE]

Steam will recognize games on the hard drive. When my brother signs in on my computer it annoys him because it shows this big list of games he doesn't have, and can't play from his account. The play button becomes a purchase button or something. Oddly, not all of them show up... but I imagine all the ones she owns would show fine.

So it should show up normally for her.

Can anyone here that bought it and installed it confirm if this still requires GFWL?

I ask because I cannot stand when games on Steam utilize another needless and ridiculously annoying DRM.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Can anyone here that bought it and installed it confirm if this still requires GFWL?

I ask because I cannot stand when games on Steam utilize another needless and ridiculously annoying DRM.[/QUOTE]

Or can you not stand when GFWL uses other annoying DRM?

And yes it uses GFWL and it always will until the end of time.

bread's done
Back