Warning about Goo Gone...

STATIC3D

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Okay, so many of us on here have talked about using Goo Gone to remove stickers from game cases/etc. I've used the stuff for several years for all sorts of stuff. However, I found something you DO NOT want to use it on...game discs (probably DVDs too).

I purchased a couple of XBOX games on ebay recently. They came in today and it turns out the person had purchased them from a video store which used those clear protective sticker covers on the discs (paint side). I don't usually use these, and decided to remove them from the discs (testing the edge of one first to make sure it wasn't TOO stuck and might hurt the disc to pull it off). Also, I didn't want the movie store logo on the discs. Anywho, both of the sticker covers came off pretty easy with no problem. One of them left some sticky residue on the game disc thou.

As I've done with stuff many times before, I decided to use Goo Gone to soften the sticky glue and wipe it off the disc (just like it works on XBOX cases with stickers/residue all the time). I put the Goo Gone on the disc and let it sit to losen the glue. I came back to wipe it off and was able to get some of it off. There was still some of it stuck on. So, I put some more Goo Gone on the disc, let it sit for a while and came back to check it. This time, the residue was coming of very easily by using my finger to wipe it off.

HOWEVER, apparently the Goo Gone had weaked the plastic of the dics. I picked up the disc (too look for the final amounts of glue left), and wiped some last spots of glue toward the outer edge of the disc. I suddenly heard several slight cracking sounds. The INSIDE hole of the disc was splitting with cracks. Now, I wasn't pushing hard or anything else like that, the Goo Gone had made the plastic soft/brittle? and caused the disc layers to actually start to separate. I know it was delaminating because, since the disc was ruined, I decided to see how bad it was damage was and found I could actually peel the top (paint) and bottom (clear) layers of the disc apart.

So, be warned, Goo Gone can damage game dics.

While it was a bummer to lose the game, it was one I was planning on getting rid of on ebay as it was the other disc in the auction I really wanted. Luckily, it had no glue residue on it when I removed the protective sticker, so I had not put put any Goo Gone on it (whew).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You really shouldn't have taken off the stickers in the first place because of the risk of ruining the disc.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't think anybody around here has actually tried to use Goo Gone to remove stickers from game discs. Cases, sure, but not discs.

Since it was an ebay purchase, I didn't know they had those protective stickers on em. Normally when I purcahase used discs, I try and make sure they are in good condition (like at GS/EB). Those stickers can protect the discs, but after years of being on there, lots of adhisives start to give up and then those things could start pealing off in a machine.

Anywho, I started with the edge of the sticker on the game disc I really didn't care about, just in case it would have caused a problem. It was coming up just fine and simply left a bit of sticky adhesive on the surface of the disc. The sticker on the second disc came completely off without any residue or anything.

Since I've used Goo Gone on TONS of stuff (lots of it plastic) over the years, and the discs are basically plastic, I didn't think there would be a big problem. Guess not...lol. Anywho, at least it happened to a disc I didn't care about.

Never purchase discs with stickers on them. Discs are only meant to be a specific weight, and if you buy a disc with a sticker on it it throws off the weight/balance and can do major damage to your hardware. Thats why major rental retailers stopped using stickers on discs years ago.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I heard tooth paste is good to get rid of scratches on discs.[/quote]

seriously? i've got a ton of movies that are scratched from the kiddies.

Well duh this is why Disc is a cheapy and more used format. After awhile not storing your discs correctly can lead to an entire disc being reduced to a slim piece of plastic. The data parts of a discs is basically Alluminuim that is no diffrent from the ones flight recorders used back.

However reaurdles of what metal the disc is on a form of plastic and as we all learned plastic is not a solid nore it is a liquid. In fact plastic is allways moving.

The Goo gone was probably to cold/hot and had a acidic base that removed the glue.

In short goo gone could be refered to a disc be gone. It would be funny to see a disc being wiped clean with goo Gone with a automated disc cleaner.

Ive successfully removed small stickers from discs many times, but I think the op is talking about those giant, same size as the disc, disc-shield security stickers that blockbuster and other rental places sometimes put on discs.

I have never tried to remove one of those, it just seems too dangerous. As a matter of fact, I return any disc I get with that disc shield on it if possible.

Well i have been able to remove those big clear stickers but it takes allota time. I thought that I could use a knife or scaper tool but I peeled of the artwork by accident.

What I would do is remove the sticker by hand which is hard to do seeing how when pealing the sticker will break off sometimes.

[quote name='gaelan']seriously? i've got a ton of movies that are scratched from the kiddies.[/quote]

Hah hah, no. Tooth paste is an abrasive and will further scratch your discs. I was only kidding.

Could it have been the that the disc was already been through some abuse? Previous wet sanding to remove scratches? I have a bunch of toasted DVD-Rs I can test this out on.

Trying to remove the sticker in the first place was a bad idea... the actual data layer is closer to the printed face than the under-surface.

When you say you "let it sit for a while and came back to check it," how long was that? I thought you were only supposed to leave it on for a few seconds.

Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='MadFlava']Could it have been the that the disc was already been through some abuse? Previous wet sanding to remove scratches? I have a bunch of toasted DVD-Rs I can test this out on.[/quote]

The OP mentions that the game was previously a rental game. I think 'prior abuse' is a pretty good assumption. ;)

I've removed the blockbuster stickers before with googone. Let it sit for like 5-10 minutes. And it should come off with no problem..

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Well duh this is why Disc is a cheapy and more used format. After awhile not storing your discs correctly can lead to an entire disc being reduced to a slim piece of plastic. The data parts of a discs is basically Alluminuim that is no diffrent from the ones flight recorders used back.

However reaurdles of what metal the disc is on a form of plastic and as we all learned plastic is not a solid nore it is a liquid. In fact plastic is allways moving.

The Goo gone was probably to cold/hot and had a acidic base that removed the glue.

In short goo gone could be refered to a disc be gone. It would be funny to see a disc being wiped clean with goo Gone with a automated disc cleaner.[/quote]
Is there a translator on BabelFish for RegalSin?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Hah hah, no. Tooth paste is an abrasive and will further scratch your discs. I was only kidding.[/QUOTE]

U BASTARD!!!

\

Kidding :lol:

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Hah hah, no. Tooth paste is an abrasive and will further scratch your discs. I was only kidding.[/QUOTE]

This actually works, and I'm not kidding. I've done it, the trick is not to rub too hard. It's not for very deep scratches obviously, but it DOES work!

Not surprising. I use googone at work all the time and we've found that it'll discolour some plastics after prolonged contact. Dell C series laptops to be more specific. It seems to have a whitening effect on their black towers too if you don't get it all washed off.

[quote name='keithp']This actually works, and I'm not kidding. I've done it, the trick is not to rub too hard. It's not for very deep scratches obviously, but it DOES work![/QUOTE]
You also have to make sure the toothpaste doesnt have those crystals in them, but otherwise, yes, it does work. I've done it multiple times in the past.

bread's done
Back