WARNING: Beware this Wii design flaw

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So last night we were having a little surprise birthday party for my dad and I thought it would be nice to bring the Wii over for everyone to play.

I have the component cables and an HDTV, so I have the Wii set to 480p/16:9. But my parents only have a 12-year-old TV, so I brought the composite cables along. I hooked everything up and couldn't get a picture. It took me a second to realize that this was because the system was still configured for progressive scan via the component cable.

"No problem," I thought. I'd had a similar experience with a progressive scan DVD player. "Surely there's some button configuration or reset procedure that will revert the video settings." So as all the party guests waited patiently, I was flipping through a PDF manual for the Wii looking for how to do this. No dice. Nor could I find any such instructions anywhere on Nintendo's site. A Google search only turned up one instance of someone in a similar situation, and he was only able to resolve it by "feeling" the buttons using the vibration in the remote and sounds of the menus to somehow find his way to the screen settings. I was unable to perform this feat myself and ultimately had to send everyone home disappointed. Not fun.

So I guess the moral here is if you know you're going to be switching back to the composite cables, make sure you downgrade the video signal BEFORE you disconnect from your progressive scan screen. Hopefully Nintendo will address this in a future firmware upgrade.

My DVD player is the same way. I downgraded my DVD player from progressive to S-video when I got my Wii component cables and noticed that the picture on my DVD player was nuts. I had forgotten to turn off the progressive scan option. I had to keep turning the DVD player on and off until I could see enough of the menus to finally turn progressive off. There was no reset that I could find in the manual. So this problem can occur with other video devices as well.

I would think that Nintendo would be able to address this somehow with a firmware update, but this situation is not going to be very common so I don't know how motivated they will be to fix it.

I reposted this exact message in Nintendo's Wii tech forum, so hopefully a mod there will get it to the right people.

I did notice a couple posts there from people who either thought they had HDTVs or EDTVs or were just fooling around with the settings and turned progressive scan on and now could not get their picture back, so that's another way this could occur. It's definitely something that needs to be addressed. They could make it something simple, like pressing the Reset and remote sync button at the same time, or pressing a button on the remote in combination with Reset. Otherwise, this setting can temporarily brick your system.

Same thing with the PS2. I just bought the Component cables and I had to switch it over in the menu before using them. Kinda Gay.

Wow thanks for the warning. I'm bringing the Wii with me for the holidays and I would have been very disappointed to not be able to play it.

"Feel your way" through the menus to change the display settings? That's ridiculous. How is that even possible? With my luck, by the time I was able to find to correct screen settings, my Wii menus would be in French and I would have download 4 Virtual Console games, bought 5000 more points, and downloaded eight more. Donkey Kong twice!

[quote name='Cambot']"Feel your way" through the menus to change the display settings? That's ridiculous. How is that even possible? With my luck, by the time I was able to find to correct screen settings, my Wii menus would be in French and I would have download 4 Virtual Console games, bought 5000 more points, and downloaded eight more. Donkey Kong twice![/QUOTE]

I actually think it would be pretty simple. I would just need to see pics since I dont remember where exactely the TV Setting is on the setting menu. 3rd down maybe? Not sure.....

I'm not exactly sure if this would work, but couldn't you just plug in your component cables?

Considering that the Wii will not output in higher def (or even provide the option) if you are using component cables, you could plug them in, the Wii would know that its currently running on component cables, and thus default to the 'standard' option.

Don't know if that would work, as I don't have the composite cables. A possible solution... maybe.

But that's certainly too bad you didn't convert more people last night. I hope the rest of the party was at least fun.

This didnt happen with me when I switched to composite cables with my other TV. My wii switched automatically to 480i, and the only thing I had to change was the widescreen.

[quote name='hack']I'm not exactly sure if this would work, but couldn't you just plug in your component cables?

Considering that the Wii will not output in higher def (or even provide the option) if you are using component cables, you could plug them in, the Wii would know that its currently running on component cables, and thus default to the 'standard' option.

Don't know if that would work, as I don't have the composite cables. A possible solution... maybe.

But that's certainly too bad you didn't convert more people last night. I hope the rest of the party was at least fun.[/QUOTE]

He could have jsut connected the green and gotten a black and white image with rolling every few seconds.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its a good thing to give people a heads up about this, but its pretty normal for anything that displays in a higher resolution.[/QUOTE]
it's normal to not display the higher resolution. It's not however normal that it doesn't give you an option to reset it back to a normal viewing setting.

[quote name='hack']I'm not exactly sure if this would work, but couldn't you just plug in your component cables?[/quote]

A) I didn't have them with me because...

B) Their TV doesn't have component hookups.

Everything was fine once I got the system home and hooked it back up to my TV.

But that's certainly too bad you didn't convert more people last night. I hope the rest of the party was at least fun.

It was fine, but I felt like an idiot. And I think I damaged Nintendo's reputation because people were saying, "Well that's stupid! Doesn't seem very easy to use."

[quote name='sarausagi']He could have jsut connected the green and gotten a black and white image with rolling every few seconds.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea, and if I had known that and had the component cable with me, I would have used it. ;)

[quote name='Santurio']it's normal to not display the higher resolution. It's not however normal that it doesn't give you an option to reset it back to a normal viewing setting.[/QUOTE]

Yes, its normal. Most DVD players work the same way unless there is a resolution button on the front or remote, which just recently they started to do. Before you would always have to go into the menu and manually changed the resolution/turn progressive scan off. It wasnt seen before because on systems before now you have to hold buttons to get the games to boot up in progressive scan. Its not actually a flaw in the design of the wii if you ask me. I am very critical of Nintendo for many things, but this isnt something to get upset about.

Well, bad news for me. I had mine hooked up with component cables, and then sold it on Ebay w/o the component cables. That means my buyer will get it and not be able to play it. Crap crap crap. I suppose I have to give him the money to go to the store and buy component cables, but then again, if he doesnt have an HDTV the components are useless. God damn you Nintendo!

EDIT: I formatted system memory right before I sent it, maybe that reset it to 480i??

[quote name='rodeojones903']Yes, its normal. Most DVD players work the same way unless there is a resolution button on the front or remote, which just recently they started to do. Before you would always have to go into the menu and manually changed the resolution/turn progressive scan off. It wasnt seen before because on systems before now you have to hold buttons to get the games to boot up in progressive scan. Its not actually a flaw in the design of the wii if you ask me. I am very critical of Nintendo for many things, but this isnt something to get upset about.[/QUOTE]
I was mainly talking about videogame consoles in my statement. Yes you did have to hold down buttons on both the PS2 and the GC to get them to play in ProScan which I consider a "precaution' that they took to make sure you didn't get stuck in that mode. Also, if you did go into the mode and your TV couldn't display it then you would get a warning and you had the option of resetting the correct viewing settings. The original Xbox would display the menu screen in 480i for the exact reason that someone may have had the settings on 720p and now that display isn't available so you could change whatever settings you needed, again a "precaution" that while I never used I'm sure it helped some.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Yes, its normal. Most DVD players work the same way unless there is a resolution button on the front or remote, which just recently they started to do. Before you would always have to go into the menu and manually changed the resolution/turn progressive scan off. It wasnt seen before because on systems before now you have to hold buttons to get the games to boot up in progressive scan. Its not actually a flaw in the design of the wii if you ask me. I am very critical of Nintendo for many things, but this isnt something to get upset about.[/QUOTE]

I've owned three progressive scan DVD players at varying price points, and all three had some sort of button combination reset feature that would revert progressive scan back to 480i.

I did that recently. But the 480i TV I was hooking it back up to was using the component cables. And on my tv (with components) it merely split the signal in two so I had double vision. The left side of the screen displayed half the feed, the right side of the screen was displaying the other feed (odd/even). I had to go really slow with the remote because it made controlling the hand difficult, but at least I was able to easily switch back to 480i mode.

[quote name='Cambot']"Feel your way" through the menus to change the display settings? That's ridiculous. How is that even possible? [/QUOTE]
Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him. This time, let go your conscious self and act on instinct. Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings.

[quote name='Scrubsy']This didnt happen with me when I switched to composite cables with my other TV. My wii switched automatically to 480i, and the only thing I had to change was the widescreen.[/quote]

I just tested this out myself and the Wii reverted back to 480i automatically.

Test:

- Component cables connected, Wii set to 480p and 16:9.
- Powered off Wii
- Removed component cables, connected composite cables to the Wii and the composite input on my TV
- Powered on Wii
- Switched to the composite input on TV
- Wii displayed fine
- Went into Wii Settings menu, checked TV resolution - it had automatically switched to 480i (480p was grayed out)

Apparently the Wii knows how to handle this situation just fine. Maybe the TV was jacked and not the Wii.

Scrubsy is right, just the widescreen settings stayed the same, and since you can set it to widescreen in either 480i or 480p, that makes sense.

What?

I just carry around a 42" penis HDTV around with me at all times! It fits in my men's carry-all (IT'S NOT A PURSE, DAMMIT!).

I HAVE NO NEED FOR YOUR LIES, TYBEE.

Besides, computers have had this issue for a long time. Have you ever moved your system from a decent LCD to a 10 year old CRT, and forgot to downgrade the resolution?

My god. The horror. I had to right click and guess where the appropriate resolution settings were, all the while battling that horrid "screen is half on, half off, and there's two of them" effect that happens.

I've tried this, and the Wii automatically switched back to 480i. I'm guessing it was either widescreen settings or the television itself.

[quote name='Strell']My god. The horror. I had to right click and guess where the appropriate resolution settings were, all the while battling that horrid "screen is half on, half off, and there's two of them" effect that happens.[/quote]

Next time: safe mode. ;)

[quote name='BREVITY']Thanks for the warning OP.[/QUOTE]

Others have already confirmed it's not an issue. There must have been something wrong with the TV.

[quote name='lebowsky']I just tested this out myself and the Wii reverted back to 480i automatically.

Test:

- Component cables connected, Wii set to 480p and 16:9.
- Powered off Wii
- Removed component cables, connected composite cables to the Wii and the composite input on my TV
- Powered on Wii
- Switched to the composite input on TV
- Wii displayed fine
- Went into Wii Settings menu, checked TV resolution - it had automatically switched to 480i (480p was grayed out)

Apparently the Wii knows how to handle this situation just fine. Maybe the TV was jacked and not the Wii.

Scrubsy is right, just the widescreen settings stayed the same, and since you can set it to widescreen in either 480i or 480p, that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. Since you are the second person to note that this is the case, my guess is it was their punk-ass television. I should add that this whole affair had the side benefit of getting my dad chewed out by my mom for his apathy (more like outright refusal) in replacing "this piece of shit" for so long. So they'll be getting an HDTV soon (the last time he came over to watch football helped seal the deal).

[quote name='BIG5']Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him. This time, let go your conscious self and act on instinct. Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings.[/QUOTE]

My wife actually said that to me. "What, are you using the Force?"

[quote name='BIG5']Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him. This time, let go your conscious self and act on instinct. Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings.[/quote]

:lol: this is sig worthy

Yeah, it SHOULD have automatically reverted back to 480i, but Tybee, in your case, there's always the possibility that it didn't.

In order for for 480p to be an option, the Wii has to see that it has component cables plugged in. It "sees" that by means of an extra pin or two in the jack that goes into the Wii. I read about when those crazy people were making their own component cables.

Whether or not the system always detects that well reamins to be seen. Tybee, the system was/is fully updated?

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, it SHOULD have automatically reverted back to 480i, but Tybee, in your case, there's always the possibility that it didn't.

In order for for 480p to be an option, the Wii has to see that it has component cables plugged in. It "sees" that by means of an extra pin or two in the jack that goes into the Wii. I read about when those crazy people were making their own component cables.

Whether or not the system always detects that well reamins to be seen. Tybee, the system was/is fully updated?[/quote]

It is fully updated, and it did not switch automatically. And the TV is old, but it's not THAT old. It's got S-Video inputs, for Pete's sake. So something went wrong somewhere.

I don't have this problem. Took this over to my parents house for Thanksgiving and using composite cables (was ONLY using Component cables since Day 1). Never had an issue.

Were the component plugged in and the wii in standby mode when you switched to the composite? Maybe it needs to be powered off (red light) before switching instead of standby?

this is more of a problem:

game_mariogalaxy.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I'm gonna make sure to set it off progressive scan before I take it to the folks home on new years.

Isn't there some way the console can goto autosensing to see if it works. Kind of like how you hold down the power button on the ps3 to go straight to video settings?

I had the same problem with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on the original Xbox. I had just gotten the game, and my family and I were going out of town on a road trip, so I was going to play it in the car. When I turned it on, all I got was a blank screen. The other games detected that the TV couldn't handle 720P and downscaled (or maybe they didn't support 720P in the first place), but THPS3 didn't. With the original Xbox, you couldn't adjust the HDTV settings without a component cable connected, and I had left the component cable at home, so I couldn't play THPS3 until we returned home from our trip.

[quote name='njchris']Were the component plugged in and the wii in standby mode when you switched to the composite? Maybe it needs to be powered off (red light) before switching instead of standby?[/quote]

I should have included this when I posted about my test, but my Wii was in Standby (Orange) mode when I switched the cables. The Wii was not off.

Thanks for that seemingly obvious but incredibly helpful tip Lebowsky. I just got the component cables and hit the HD option in the Wii Screen menu, fully knowing I didn't have an HD TV, just to see what would happen. Needless to say, what happened was very very bad. Screen went haywire--all black and white streaks, no indication of anything on the screen -- terrible.

I thought "surely in a moment it will reset the resolution, like Windows does...Does this look okay? If not the screen will reset in 15 seconds.: No reset. No surrender.

I called NOA because (like the OP said) absolutely no info about this design oversight. I am not used to being able to nearly brick a console with a *menu option*:bomb:. The girl on the other end of the line sounded like she was underwater or had a cold the size of a small planet and kept saying "I duhn't see adeefing dat can hewp you." And luckily I saw this post during my agonizing call.

You saved a Wii bit of Christmas for me, and I had to say thanks, because only somehting mammoth like this would make me go through the trouble of registering for a forum I don't make it to very often to comment.

[quote name='lebowsky']I should have included this when I posted about my test, but my Wii was in Standby (Orange) mode when I switched the cables. The Wii was not off.[/quote] So, does it work when it's powered off completely (red light, or unplugged) and you switch cables? It would sound like it only checks the cable when it is actually powered off (not standby)

"It would sound like it only checks the cable when it is actually powered off (not standby)"

Mine recognized the new cable when I switched them on standby. I think it's a function of the TV not the Wii. Because my TV is crappy and utterly incapable of 480p, the combo of that and only having the normal output cables did the trick.

bread's done
Back