Warning: PSN now charges tax in more states

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I live in PA, have to pay taxes. Now I would be fine with this, except for the fact that if I buy a $20 card, I can't buy $20 worth of games and have enough to cover taxes. I wish there was a way I could buy a PSN card pay the tax in store, and then have that auto added to my account.[/QUOTE]

ha, dude, im originally from hazleton. what a shithole.

i too now "live" in miami, but i cant use my credit card since the billing info doesnt match. weak. all i want is a god damned dead nation avatar!

[quote name='8bitArtist']i too now "live" in miami, but i cant use my credit card since the billing info doesnt match. weak. all i want is a god damned dead nation avatar![/QUOTE]

Why won't your bank allow you to change for billing info?

You can add Michigan to the list of taxing states.

This is complete and utter bullshit. I am not getting a physical copy of a game here. I'm getting data bits sold to me electronically, and I've already paid the taxes to my state every month for the priviledge of data communication through my ISP. So, yes, we ARE being double taxed.

And on top of not purchasing any physical item, we aren't actually buying games at all. We're buying LICENSES to play these games for a period of time and that license can be revoked by Sony at any time they deem necessary. It's a service, and in Michigan, there aren't any taxes on services (yet).

[quote name='videogamer910']I hate this new tax system. My debit card doesn't work because it has a really complicated/confusing billing address(won't verify my address at all) meaning I HAVE to use the PSN cards. It sucks that I can only buy cards in 20 and 40 dollar chunks. With tax it makes it even more of a hassle.

It would be nice if we could prepay "ANY AMOUNT" we want on a custom card so this tax won't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

So I get taxed on the PSN cards and then on the product I buy with them?

[quote name='Chickenmumbo']So I get taxed on the PSN cards and then on the product I buy with them?[/QUOTE]

you dont get taxed on the psn cards, youre still paying $20 for them at the register... and this is where the problem lies. before, you would be able to buy 2 $9.99 games with 1 card. now youll be able to buy 1 and have like $9 and some odd cents left, but not enough to buy another $9.99 game.

I wish they would just tax the card instead of the digital purchase. Would save me a headache when buying stuff on PSN. But I guess the problem with that is not everyone uses PSN cards like me.
@8bitartist That EXACT situation happened to me on Xmas. Seriously frustrating. I felt so ripped off.

and rightfully so djratchet. since you use psn cards, you need to change your address to one of the states mentioned in this thread to avoid that until they start charging tax at the register to avoid such the headache.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']

Anyone on here from Washington state? How are the taxes there?[/QUOTE]

My county only Charges 8.6%. It's worse then nothing, but better then San Diego where I spent Christmas where it was 9.75%.

I've got no problem with it as I don't pay state income tax.

[quote name='lokizz'] i would like to know why suddenly it seems more and more states are collecting taxes from psn purchases. why change now when theyve been tax free for years?[/QUOTE]

Because we're in a recession and most States are completely broke and are looking to generate additional revenue wherever they can.

This really bothers me. This completely blows for people who rely on PSN cards for their wallet, because as said, you can end up miniscule cents away from being able to buy content. Combined with the bizarre-ass pricing on some things (why are PS1 Classics 5.99 instead of just 5 dollars?), I'd rather just deal with SpaceBucks at this point.

Ugh... Buying $9.99 dollar content means adding an extra 70 cents now. This ruins it for some people that like to buy two $9.99 games with a $20 PSN card.

bread's done
Back