Was Fall 2007 Over-rated? Could Fall 2008 be better?

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!
I remember so many people saying that Fall 2007 was one of the best holiday seasons evers. In retrospect was 2007 a little over-rated? Could Holiday 2008 be better? I mean I look at the list of games coming out this holiday season and it seems to me that there are more games coming out this year that I'm interested in then there were last year. Just off the top of my head check out all these games:

Fable 2
Fallout 3
Little Big Planet
Gears of War 2
Spore
Resistance 2
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Mirror's Edge
Soul Calibur IV
Mortal Kombat vs. DC
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Prince of Persia
Left 4 Dead
Call of Duty: World at War
Deadspace
Far Cry 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Brutal Legend
Saint's Row 2
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Project Origin
Legendary
Tomb Raider Underworld
Rise of the Argonauts
Fracture
WET
Quantum of Solace
Damnation
Tom Clancy's Endwar
SOCOM Confrontation
Rockband 2
Megaman 9

Not to mention that we've already had a ton of great games realeased this year (GTA 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Smash Brothers, Devil May Cry 4, Burnout Paradise, Boom Blox, No More Heroes, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
In hindsight, it's rarely ever the number of good games that come out in a holiday season, it's how many of the generation defining games hit during the holidays.

Between Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Super Mario Galaxy, you have 2 of the biggest FPS, that will likely be used to define the generation (as Goldeneye did 2 generations ago), and Super Mario Galaxy will be thought of in the light of the other great Mario games of previous generations. With just those 3 (and that's completely ignoring other potential entrants), I don't think you call 07 overhyped.

08 will be massive for what was already released. But,the bulk of the games listed won't be played 5 years from now (though, I am intrigued by LBP, to see if that lives to the hype).

[quote name='lordxixor101']In hindsight, it's rarely ever the number of good games that come out in a holiday season, it's how many of the generation defining games hit during the holidays.

Between Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Super Mario Galaxy, you have 2 of the biggest FPS, that will likely be used to define the generation (as Goldeneye did 2 generations ago), and Super Mario Galaxy will be thought of in the light of the other great Mario games of previous generations. With just those 3 (and that's completely ignoring other potential entrants), I don't think you call 07 overhyped.

08 will be massive for what was already released. But,the bulk of the games listed won't be played 5 years from now (though, I am intrigued by LBP, to see if that lives to the hype).[/quote]I agree with your point in that a holiday season is usually remembered for the big generation defining games. I don't agree with your notion that 2007 necessarily has more of those games then 2008 will. Especially if you include non-holiday releases since GTA 4, MGS 4, and Super Smash Brothers: Brawl came out this year. But even disregarding those titles I think games like Fallout 3, Spore, and Little Big Planet have as much potential to be all-time greats as any game released in 2007. Furthermore out of all the other potentially great games (Fable 2, Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2, Mirror's Edge, Resistance 2, Call of Duty: World at War, etc.) I'm sure some of those will totally deliver on all their promises and be games to remember (I'm sure some of them will dissapoint as well).

Basically what I'm saying is that there are way too many promising games that are set to release in Holiday 2008 to be able to say that Holiday 2007 will have more generation-defining games. We'll have to wait and see.

Remember the number of "huge" games that will still turn out to disappoint or get delayed. Think Lair, Assassin's Creed, and UT III. All of them would have been at the top of this list last year but have not succeeded (even Halo 3 seems not to be living up to the hype in retrospect by getting overshadowed by both COD 4 and Gears). Also GTA was still scheduled for November still at E3 time last year I believe, so who knows what will be delayed still.

Certainly as a whole year 2008 will be better than 7 but that's because the consoles are still maturing. Also don't forget my second most anticipated game of the year, Persona 4.

This thread will be interesting to come back to thats for sure.

What is the list of games for 2007. There were a lot of hyped games.

Fall 2007 was way overrated. Most of the good games were really just okay. Fall 2008 looks to be a little better, though most of the really interesting stuff either already came out or is coming out next year.

Strictly on the 360, IMO there were 7 games that were AAA titles that I thought were all awesome. I loved all 7 and thought all lived up to expectations.

Assassin's Creed
BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Mass Effect
The Orange Box
Rock Band

It's going to be hard for this year to top that. I only see 6 games that I'm expecting to be in the same category and both Saints Row and Fable would fall below all 7 games from last year.

Gears 2
Fable 2
Fallout 3
GH:WT
RB2
Saints Row 2

I will thoroughly enjoy games like The Force Unleashed, Midnight Club and Left 4 Dead. It is possible that a game like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space or Brutal Legend is better than I'm expecting. But I still think 2007 will end up better.

Fall 2007 wasn't overrated at all IMO. If you go from August on as you did in your list for 2008 I was stoked for (and ended up loving):

Metroid Prime 3
Bioshock
Halo 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Call of Duty 4
Mass Effect
The Orange Box

This year only Gears of War 2 has me really stoked...though there are several other games I'm interested in (and will no doubt end up loving some of them) once I see more or give them a try. Stuff like Too Human, Fall out 3, Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead etc.

Really, which is better and whether 2007 was overrated comes down to tastes. Fall 2007 was definitely very FPS/shooter heavy as far as the AAA games go, and there's more variety this fall in the big releases it seems. I love FPS games so Fall 2007 was great for me, but I can see it being underwhelming for folks who don't dig FPS games.

But I was definitely excited about more forthcoming games at this time last year than I am now. Though part of it is probably just that I'm much busier this summer/fall than I was last year so my time/interest in gaming has went down some.

[quote name='Zerostatic']I agree with your point in that a holiday season is usually remembered for the big generation defining games. I don't agree with your notion that 2007 necessarily has more of those games then 2008 will. Especially if you include non-holiday releases since GTA 4, MGS 4, and Super Smash Brothers: Brawl came out this year. But even disregarding those titles I think games like Fallout 3, Spore, and Little Big Planet have as much potential to be all-time greats as any game released in 2007. Furthermore out of all the other potentially great games (Fable 2, Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2, Mirror's Edge, Resistance 2, Call of Duty: World at War, etc.) I'm sure some of those will totally deliver on all their promises and be games to remember (I'm sure some of them will dissapoint as well).

Basically what I'm saying is that there are way too many promising games that are set to release in Holiday 2008 to be able to say that Holiday 2007 will have more generation-defining games. We'll have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]

Here is my problem, we are calling this is holiday 2008 better than holday 2007. In fairness, that throws out GTA4, SSBB, Mario Kart, MGS4 (if you make a list of the top 10 of this generation, a few of those games may make it). But, they aren't holday games. If you want to discuss 07 versus 08, fine. I think we just need to define the conversation.

I also don't disagree with you on your 2008 assessment. Some of these games might be great. But, over the past 15 years, I've been too hyped for too many games that didn't cut it when released. So, sure, some of these future releases might be great, some might not be.

So, my main arguments were really trying to focus on 07 not being overrated, more than trying to diss 2008. I'm hoping 08 blows 07 out of the water, that woudl be great for all gamers.

[quote name='Chacrana']Fall 2007 was way overrated. Most of the good games were really just okay. Fall 2008 looks to be a little better, though most of the really interesting stuff either already came out or is coming out next year.[/quote]

this, plus I think so far early this year has had better releases. MGS4, GTAIV, as well as a few other big name sequels.

[quote name='lordxixor101']
So, my main arguments were really trying to focus on 07 not being overrated, more than trying to diss 2008. I'm hoping 08 blows 07 out of the water, that woudl be great for all gamers.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was my point as well. 2008 could end up being great, and I hope it does. But I'm just not stoked so far.

Only 2008 game I've played so far is Space Invader's extreme. Will start GTAIV this weekend but I'm not that stoked for it since I didn't like GTA3 much and didn't play the others.

No PS3 or Wii (anymore) so no MGS4 or Smash Bros but I never liked those franchises anyway. SCIV looks good and I'll pick that up eventually--but I have a hard time paying $60 for a fighing game since I'm only casually interested in them these days. So in short this year has been lack luster and I've just been catching up on older 360 games and playing CoD4 online.

The fall looks good, but is full of a lot of "wait and see" games for me. If a lot of those pan out it could end up being as good or better than 2007--but like I said I was stoked for a lot of games last fall and this year it's really just Gears 2 and a lot of wait and see games so it's more up in the air.

But yeah, my main point was that to me 2007 was not over-rated at all-- I've been gaming since the late 80s (even a little atari playing before that when I was very young) and I'd easily say fall 2007 was the best period for great game releases that I can recall. 1998 was damn good as well though.

But at the end of the day, it's a silly debate as it's totally subjective and depends on what types of games you like and your opinion on indivdual games.

bread's done
Back