Was looking for a new TV. Just jumped on one...thoughts?

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I really don't know a lot about TVs I just know I wanted something bigger than I had and I wanted to check out 3D for as cheap as I could get. So I finally found one for what I think is a good deal but was wondering everyone's thoughts on it.

It's a used good condition (Amazon Warehouse) Toshiba 55WX800U: 1080p 55 inch 3D LED 240Hz for $750

Now just about every other TV I've seen with those specs was at least $100 more and usually at least a couple hundred more so I didn't think a lot I just saw the specs and the price and kinda blindly jumped on it. I'm already figuring it won't include glasses for the 3D..

So anyone have any experience with this or something similar? Tell me that I didn't just waste $750?? Should I spend more on something better quality and not be so damn cheap when it comes to something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
it dont come with the 3D Glasses

For real 3D video, just pair the WX800 with Toshiba Active Shutter 3D glasses, and enjoy Blu-ray 3D discs, along with a growing amount of broadcast content. 3D footage is shot with two special cameras spaced apart 2.5 inches to mimic our eyes. These state-of-the-art glasses (sold separately) create a dazzling 3D effect by opening and closing lenses 120 times per second. This requires a television iwth exceptional video features, and that of course will benefit all your 2D viewing.

[quote name='starmask2k3']it dont come with the 3D Glasses

For real 3D video, just pair the WX800 with Toshiba Active Shutter 3D glasses, and enjoy Blu-ray 3D discs, along with a growing amount of broadcast content. 3D footage is shot with two special cameras spaced apart 2.5 inches to mimic our eyes. These state-of-the-art glasses (sold separately) create a dazzling 3D effect by opening and closing lenses 120 times per second. This requires a television iwth exceptional video features, and that of course will benefit all your 2D viewing.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I saw that and the 3D isnt very good anyway. Also it's apparently pretty reflective. I think those were the 2 biggest complaints. I'll just wait til I get it and see if I like it enough to keep. Otherwise I'll just return or sell it. Any which way at least I'll have a better idea of what exactly I want after checking it out.

Why in the world ANYONE would buy a TV without seeing the quality of the picture first is beyond me. This isn't something you just blindly buy. You need to go to a store and look around, note the brands you like and the specific models that have a good picture.

/e: Starmask is such an interesting account. The guy doesn't usually make sense, and more often than not, he copies and pastes stuff from alternate sources as a reply. It's always a very fun read :)

[quote name='Scorch']Why in the world ANYONE would buy a TV without seeing the quality of the picture first is beyond me. This isn't something you just blindly buy. You need to go to a store and look around, note the brands you like and the specific models that have a good picture.

/e: Starmask is such an interesting account. The guy doesn't usually make sense, and more often than not, he copies and pastes stuff from alternate sources as a reply. It's always a very fun read :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's just that price lol. Like I said if I dont like it Im not too worried because I can just return or resell it without too much of a hassle. And I would go look at all the TVs in store but christ knows the only thing I'll like after seeing them are the LG Infinias or the Samsungs or whatever crazy priced TVs that are out now that are just too pricey for me at the moment.

And I read that the 2D picture on the one I'm getting is good it's just the reflectiveness and the 3D is an issue but Im not concerned enough about the 3D to pay a couple hundred more just for better 3D.

this is the baby i am waiting for http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-K..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QDRN2QAT4R35DDANJ8K

Product Description
Size: 46-Inch
From the Manufacturer
Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX850 46-Inch 1080p 3D LED Internet TV, Black

Pro-grade detail: X-Reality PRO
Experience precise motion clarity with Motionflow XR 960
Frameless design with Corning’s Gorilla Glass
Dynamic Edge LED backlight for amazing contrast & color
Movies, music & apps w/ Sony Entertainment Network1
3D effects in every 3D scene2
Stream HD entertainment wirelessly with built-in Wi-Fi1
Make life-sized video calls with Skype
PC and tablet content3 on your TV with Intelligent Connect
Media Remote app to control your TV with a smartphone4
Connect to the TV via Wi-Fi without using a router3

Experience all the features of the Sony KDL46HX850 1080p 3D LED Internet TV as it becomes the centerpiece of your living space. Featuring crisp transcendent picture quality in each scene in everything you watch—HD movies, sports, even YouTube clips—is presented with unprecedented detail and astonishing color from Sony’s exclusive X-Reality PRO picture engine. Also, enjoy ultra-clear, realistic motion during slow scenic sweeps and fast action sports courtesy of Motionflow XR 960.

Vivid, Lifelike Entertainment

X-Reality PRO Picture Engine

Enjoy lifelike picture quality in each scene with everything you watch—HD movies, sports, even YouTube clips and home movies—is presented with unprecedented detail, and astonishing color as Sony's exclusive X-Reality PRO picture engine draws on its database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display our most lifelike picture ever.

Dynamic Edge LED

Perfecting a natural look, Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with local dimming allows for an exceptionally slim design while delivering pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes that pop with vibrant color. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right spots for a more realistic picture.

Experience Sony 3D

3D in Full HD

3D Reality Creation

Feel like you're standing alongside your favorite actor as the environment surrounds you with exceptional 3D detail.2 Ultra-realistic effects are achieved by X-Reality PRO 3D Super Resolution, optimizing each area of the 3D scene by drawing on its database of patterns, shapes and textures.

Smart Design, Smart Features

OptiContrast Panel with Corning Gorilla Glass

Corning's exclusive Gorilla Glass lets you enjoy an incredibly durable, remarkably lightweight, frameless design with a seamless, sophisticated look. Paired with the OptiContrast panel, Gorilla Glass helps boost contrast and brightness while minimizing unwanted light reflections.

Built-in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Maximize your entertainment while reducing cable clutter. Wirelessly stream beautiful, HD entertainment straight from the internet or your home network using built-in Wi-Fi connectivity.1 In addition, Wi-Fi Direct allows your friends to share their personal photos and videos on your beautiful HDTV. With Sony's Wi-Fi Direct Mode, your friends can throw personal content to your TV without connecting to your home network. Wi-Fi Direct completely bypasses the Wi-Fi access point/router, so it’s easy to set up.3
Skype video calls bring your family and friends closer than ever as they appear as large as life on your big screen—for free.1 Just connect the easy-to-use Skype camera (sold separately) for a face-to-face look at the caller on the beauty of your Sony HDTV.

Intelligent Connect

Experience your content on a grand scale simply by connecting your compatible smartphone, computer or Sony Tablet S via your existing Wi-Fi network. After simply connecting, you can easily "throw" your videos, photos and music files to your HDTV.3

Media Remote App
Enjoy one less remote control on the coffee table. Just download the free Media Remote app and turn your iPhone, Android phone or Sony Tablet S into a versatile remote control with a full QWERTY keyboard.4 It makes changing channels and typing searches ultra-fast and convenient.
Track ID

Want to know what that song in the TV show, movie or commercial you’re watching? Press 'TrackID' on your remote and get the song name and artist instantly.5 You can also conveniently start TrackID by shaking a smartphone that’s running the Media Remote app.4$

Eco Drive

Enjoy lower energy bills with reduced power consumption of up to 30% while maintaining beautiful image quality with Eco Drive technology. It automatically reduces power consumption while boosting color and detail on the screen and conserving energy used by the backlight.6
Game Mode

Play your PlayStation Vita system or other handheld gaming consoles (with SD output) on your HDTV with no irritating black borders surrounding the picture. Just select Game Mode for an ideal fit to your TV screen according to the input. Better yet, Super Resolution Processing delivers a clear, crisp view in HD size.
iManual

You will never lose your TV manual again. The iManual is available through the menu system on the TV – always there if you need it.
Video Search

Searching for shows and music on your TV is so simple. Just press 'GUIDE' on your remote and see what's on and what's coming up with a handy image to go with it. You also get an episode synopsis, cast and crew details and suggestions to related shows, on-demand movies and Blu-ray Disc titles.5
Music Search

Find music easily with Music Search. Music Search with the TrackID button cleverly recognizes the melody of the music playing on your TV. Want to go further? Search to find more songs by the same artist and other related web content and share your discovery with the world via Twitter.5

Sony Entertainment Network

Enjoy one less remote control on the coffee table. Just download the free Media Remote app and turn your iPhone, Android phone or Sony Tablet S into a versatile remote control with a full QWERTY keyboard.4 It makes changing channels and typing searches ultra-fast and convenient.
Track ID

Want to know what that song in the TV show, movie or commercial you’re watching? Press 'TrackID' on your remote and get the song name and artist instantly.5 You can also conveniently start TrackID by shaking a smartphone that’s running the Media Remote app.4$

Eco Drive

Enjoy lower energy bills with reduced power consumption of up to 30% while maintaining beautiful image quality with Eco Drive technology. It automatically reduces power consumption while boosting color and detail on the screen and conserving energy used by the backlight.6
Game Mode

Play your PlayStation Vita system or other handheld gaming consoles (with SD output) on your HDTV with no irritating black borders surrounding the picture. Just select Game Mode for an ideal fit to your TV screen according to the input. Better yet, Super Resolution Processing delivers a clear, crisp view in HD size.
iManual

You will never lose your TV manual again. The iManual is available through the menu system on the TV – always there if you need it.
Video Search

Searching for shows and music on your TV is so simple. Just press 'GUIDE' on your remote and see what's on and what's coming up with a handy image to go with it. You also get an episode synopsis, cast and crew details and suggestions to related shows, on-demand movies and Blu-ray Disc titles.5
Music Search

Find music easily with Music Search. Music Search with the TrackID button cleverly recognizes the melody of the music playing on your TV. Want to go further? Search to find more songs by the same artist and other related web content and share your discovery with the world via Twitter.5

Track ID

Eco Drive

Game Mode

iManual

Video Search

Music Search

Track ID

Eco Drive

Game Mode

iManual

Video Search

Music Search

Track ID

Eco Drive

Game Mode

iManual

Video Search

Music Search

Just when I think I've seen it all, Starmask goes and copypasta's the ENTIRE INTERNET into one post.

OP, your Toshiba is awwsome for $750. You pretty much paid less than the price of a no-name TV for a name-brand one. The only downside is the active-shutter glasses, those can feel like 24-style eye torture for some people (like me). The newer TVs use the same disposable glasses that the theaters sell for $3.

The only real concern is the fact that it's used from AWD. Usually they deal with new products at Amazon that accidentally received box damage during their travels in the warehouse even when it's listed as used, so it should be ok.

Of course, there's always the chance that it's a customer return from someone watching Pokemon in active 3D who had a seizure all over the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, he's an interesting account.

Yeah it's just that price lol. And I would go look at all the TVs in store but christ knows the only thing I'll like after seeing them are the LG Infinias or the Samsungs or whatever crazy priced TVs that are out now that are just too pricey for me at the moment.

This is the weakest argument ever. The whole "gotta have it right now!!" mentality is such bs. Save a little longer and get something that's quality, not something you just bought solely based on the price. You've been this long without it, wait a little longer and buy something more expensive that doesn't look like garbage and won't die after a year or two. I paid a pretty penny for my Samsung a few years back (2007) and it's still going strong.

I love my Bravia. Don't regret a cent of the ~$1300 I've spent on it.

I love my old Toshiba too, but every Toshiba TV since that one has had bad reviews.

bread's done
Back