Was this suspicious?

Ice Gargoyle

CAG Veteran
I had a customer come in today with a bag of a few games. At first he stands behind my register, then he moves away from that register and goes to another one, even though I'm the only one at the store. I tell him to come over to my register. In this bag were receipts with markings all over them from another game/book store and Walmart. I think on the Walmart receipt it had "r" written next to each item. I think now that he "returned" all of those items for cash or credit at the store, since Walmart takes anything unopened.

Anyway, so I look at the games. The DS games were missing cases and one was called "My Boyfriend." This was a grown man. He says he wants cash, so I ask for his ID, which is required by law for cash trades at pawn stores.

I ask for his phone number, and he tells me his mother's phone number. I ask him for his, and he says he uses the same phone. He looked to be in his 40s. He has a far-out-of-state ID. So I input his ID, he asks for the cash amount, which I can't see until I get his signature and info first. I let him know that. After I input his info and the signature screen pops up, he throws a fit, says I treated him poorly from the beginning, that I input every single bit of info on his ID, and that no other store ever asked him for that before. Seems he was awfully concerned about his info being taken. He told me to erase all the info I had on my computer about him, which wasn't actually recorded because I voided the transaction. I wish I had actually taken it though and warned other stores about him.

So does this sound like a case of someone trying to pawn stolen goods, or a case of a paranoid customer?

Yes it sounds like he was shady. Whenever someone throws a hissy fit over seeing their id,getting their signature or just about mild info like you needed,then they're most likely a shady person cause they seem to think you'll back down to "make the customer happy"...at least in my experience anyway

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Does your store have security cams?

Send it to America's Most Wanted just to play it safe ;)[/QUOTE]

Might do more good sending it to America's Least Wanted.

Sounds like this guy that was in line in front of me at GS yesterday morning, with a huge stack of games, and took $9 cash for it all, which included some good games. The guy was shifty, very twitchy and seemed a bit evasive.

Then, this morning in the news that some old lady had her purse snatched in that same plaza yesterday, sure enough, that guy was one of the pair.

So, I'll have to say the games, in this case, were definitely stolen.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/29786195/detail.html

[quote name='Strell']My Boyfriend has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R...[/QUOTE]
If the guy trying to trade the games gets caught, his boyfriend's first name will likely be B-U-B-B-A.:lol:

totally shady - people that have nothing to hide aren't concerned about their information when it comes to returning goods.

Reminds me of a this dude 4 years ago selling a brand new ps3 60gig to gamestop for like 200 (probably less) or something like that. I wanted to buy it off him but he was so antsy to sell it and leave, he couldn't wait 10 minutes. He was like I need the cash now!!! I think he stole it from somewhere and wanted to unload quickly and get some drugs. He looked/acted like a crack head.

[quote name='Sethra']totally shady - people that have nothing to hide aren't concerned about their information when it comes to returning goods.[/QUOTE]I'm not giving out my ID to return something to the store.

This thread is about pawning goods.

bread's done
Back