Watchmen Production Blog - New Costumes Debut

jaykrue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Coming exactly one year from now (03/06/09 - if there aren't any delays). Here's hoping it doesn't suck. Rorschach, at least, looks to be spot on. The rest of the costumes look fairly close to the comic version w/ some alteration for real life vs. 4-color print.

Linky

They all look good, well...except Ozymandias...Did they learn nothing from Batman and robin?....THE NIPPLES!!!!! also he looks like a giant tool...on steroids. and Silk spectre looks silly....but then again...she looked silly in the book as well..so..yeah.

And how are they going to pull off Doctor Manhattan?...go for a full on "place convient shadow/prop here" like they did in Beowulf?....or give him some tiny shorts or perhaphs a cod piece

[quote name='jaykrue']Coming exactly one year from now (03/06/09 - if there aren't any delays). Here's hoping it doesn't suck. Rorschach, at least, looks to be spot on. The rest of the costumes look fairly close to the comic version w/ some alteration for real life vs. 4-color print.

Linky[/quote]

Oh.My.God. Is that Tobey MacGuire playing Ozymandias? Gotta check IMDB, that would be horrible.

Hmmm, he's played by Matthew Goode. No idea who that is.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

Billy Crudup is playing Dr. Manhattan, other than that castis pretty anonymous.

[quote name='joe2187']They all look good, well...except Ozymandias...Did they learn nothing from Batman and robin?....THE NIPPLES!!!!! also he looks like a giant tool...on steroids. and Silk spectre looks silly....but then again...she looked silly in the book as well..so..yeah.

And how are they going to pull off Doctor Manhattan?...go for a full on "place convient shadow/prop here" like they did in Beowulf?....or give him some tiny shorts or perhaphs a cod piece[/quote]

I'm guessing a lot of CG work. And you've gotta remember, Ozymandias WAS a tool... on steroids considering what he did in the comics.

[quote name='JolietJake']I haven't ever read the wacthmen series, but that owl looking guy seems to be a batman ripoff to me.[/quote]

Owl-Man is indeed a satirical take on Batman.

[quote name='jaykrue']I'm guessing a lot of CG work. And you've gotta remember, Ozymandias WAS a tool... on steroids considering what he did in the comics.[/quote]

You've got that right. Other than the chiseled ab stomach plate, I think the costume looks dead on. I just want to see how it translates to his athletic/gymnastic abilities in the film.

[quote name='JolietJake']I haven't ever read the wacthmen series, but that owl looking guy seems to be a batman ripoff to me.[/quote]

And you would only be partly right. The Watchmen characters are primarily based on characters from a company called Charlton Comics which was later acquired by DC. Nite-Owl (II) is actually a lot closer to Blue Beetle. And Rorschach is a nod to The Question. The Comedian is a nod to the Punisher & the development of the 'anti-hero' or more closely The Peacemaker. The Silk Spectre shares her origins w/ Black Canary. And Ozmandias is modeled after Thunderbolt.

You've gotta understand Alan Moore did this series almost as a homage to pulp-era comics w/ a more mature tone and a modern day twist. He took offense at the idea that comics, as a medium, were 'only for kids'. Watchmen was pivotal in that it gave credence to the idea that comics could have lofty adult themes & carry them well. This, along w/ Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, both published in '86, showed that comics are not only for kids & that it could hold its own against the more traditional 'adult' media such as TV or radio.

Yeah i noticed the resemblance to the question in "Rorschach" like you said. I assume he's called that because his face looks like an ink blot test?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Never read the comics, is this a serious dark comic or more like a satire?[/quote]

A bit of both, actually. It's very dark but still thoughtful & highly entertaining as per Alan Moore's modus operandi. You've gotta understand this was written in '86 when the Cold War was still a real scare so this is something akin to what would superheroes do in such a universe.

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah i noticed the resemblance to the question in "Rorschach" like you said. I assume he's called that because his face looks like an ink blot test?[/quote]

Yup.

[quote name='JolietJake']So what are the individuals powers/talents?[/quote]

There's... quite a few. I'll just link to the wiki and you can check them out yourself:

linky

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Never read the comics, is this a serious dark comic or more like a satire?[/quote]

It's both and so much more. It's just so complex, so robust...just great and compelling storytelling, from the bit players all the way to the big picture. A great reflection of the mood of the times as well. In a word, it's brilliant. I'm very skeptical of them being able to pull of a feature film that is even 1/10 as good as the original series.

[quote name='JolietJake']So what are the individuals powers/talents?[/quote]

Like jaykrue said, check out the wiki...virtually everyone is baseline human, though.

Dr Manhattan is the only super powered being...with others having incredible skills/fighting ability, inate talents etc.

So this ozymandias guy dresses like superman, but has no powers? Hell, at least batman had gadgets. They all seem to have some sort of super human, detective, firearms or martial arts skills, but what does he do?

[quote name='JolietJake']So this ozymandias guy dresses like superman, but has no powers? Hell, at least batman had gadgets. They all seem to have some sort of super human, detective, firearms or martial arts skills, but what does he do?[/quote]

Well, he's what superman would be if he didn't have any 'powers' per se. I don't equate him w/ Batman since Bats doesn't see himself as a 'perfect human'. Ozymandias is the pinnacle of human perfection, both in body & mind or at least that what the mass media in the comic say. He's in peak physical condition, is a master of several martial arts. Also has complete control of his mind & has been hinted at that he has telepathic powers (such as catching bullets).

He suffers from a more concentrated version of the 'white man's burden' in that he feels anyone other than himself is inferior in terms of moral intellect. Thus, due to this god-complex, it's his duty or 'burden' to babysit or nurture the inferior in mind & body & the ends justify the means. I won't say what he does but I personally think it's on one of the highest levels of douchebaggery any being, super or otherwise, could do.

They don't really seem to fit the mold of what a superhero usually is. Judging from some of their pasts and opinions, they seem like the villains.

[quote name='JolietJake']They don't really seem to fit the mold of what a superhero usually is. Judging from some of their pasts and opinions, they seem like the villains.[/quote]

They aren't villains, most of what you read on the bios is what takes place during the course of the comic and plays out in a more realistic outcome other than "beat up bad guy senseless and then throw em in jail and everyone has a good laugh", and they aren't superheros either, they are regular human beings playing a game of masqeruade, they arent perfect

[quote name='joe2187']They aren't villains, most of what you read on the bios is what takes place during the course of the comic and plays out in a more realistic outcome other than "beat up bad guy senseless and then throw em in jail and everyone has a good laugh", and they aren't superheros either, they are regular human beings playing a game of masqeruade, they arent perfect[/quote]Granted you're right about what i read taking place over the course of the book, but some of them seem like borderline psychopaths.

[quote name='JolietJake']They don't really seem to fit the mold of what a superhero usually is. Judging from some of their pasts and opinions, they seem like the villains.[/quote]

And that's what makes Watchmen so good. It goes back to that saying:

"Who watches the watchers?"

meaning, although they say they're looking out for us, how do we know if this is in fact true?

[quote name='JolietJake']Granted you're right about what i read taking place over the course of the book, but some of them seem like borderline psychopaths.[/quote]

Have you already forgotten about Batman? Punisher? Red Hood? Any of them could be described that way.

[quote name='jaykrue']And that's what makes Watchmen so good. It goes back to that saying:

"Who watches the watchers?"

meaning, although they say they're looking out for us, how do we know if this is in fact true?

Have you already forgotten about Batman? Punisher? Red Hood? Any of them could be described that way.[/quote]Punisher i agree with, red hood I'm not familiar with, but batman usually isn't in the business of killing people. At least not from what i remember from the comics. These days they reboot characters so often that bats may be carrying a gun at this point.

[quote name='JolietJake']Granted you're right about what i read taking place over the course of the book, but some of them seem like borderline psychopaths.[/quote]

I assume you're talking about Rorshach and The Comedian, and if you are than you'd be 100% correct. they have different views of justice. You have to understand that this isnt the Xmen or Superman and batman.

here's an example of how the mind of Rorshach works, his brand of justice and one of the more stunning examples of how completely far removed this version of "superheros" is from the traditional.

WARNING Alot of image scans under the tag.
wm_01.jpg

wm_02.jpg

wm_03.jpg

wm_04.jpg

wm_05.jpg

wm_06.jpg

wm_07.jpg

wm_08.jpg

wm_09.jpg

wm_10.jpg

wm_11.jpg

wm_12.jpg

[quote name='JolietJake']Punisher i agree with, red hood I'm not familiar with, but batman usually isn't in the business of killing people. At least not from what i remember from the comics. These days they reboot characters so often that bats may be carrying a gun at this point.[/quote]

Batman's a total psycho. He may not kill but the brutality w/ which he metes out his justice could be considered cruel & unusual punishment (not that the ones on the receiving end didn't deserve it but still). The 'new' Red Hood is Jason Todd, one of Batman's former Robins who has no qualms about killing... sometimes indiscreetly. And originally Batman did use guns (to disable, not kill) but he eventually found them distasteful as it goes against his personal ethos.

[quote name='jaykrue']Batman's a total psycho. He may not kill but the brutality w/ which he metes out his justice could be considered cruel & unusual punishment (not that the ones on the receiving end didn't deserve it but still). The 'new' Red Hood is Jason Todd, one of Batman's former Robins who has no qualms about killing... sometimes indiscreetly. And originally Batman did use guns (to disable, not kill) but he eventually found them distasteful as it goes against his personal ethos.[/quote]
Ah that's right, i had heard todd came back. Some people are like warts that just won't go away...:lol:

Bats is brutal, but theres a difference between brutality and murder. Plus considering the situations he puts himself in, if he wasn't brutal he'd probably be dead. He could have just shot bane, but instead he fought him and nearly died from it. Instead we have a character who:

"Laws no longer mattered to Rorschach, and he was the only masked adventurer to continue to operate without government sanction after the ratification of the Keene Act. His stance toward the Keene Act was epitomized in his killing of a notorious serial rapist: he subsequently deposited the body in front of a police station with a note attached to it, saying "NEVER!""

[quote name='JolietJake']

"Laws no longer mattered to Rorschach, and he was the only masked adventurer to continue to operate without government sanction after the ratification of the Keene Act. His stance toward the Keene Act was epitomized in his killing of a notorious serial rapist: he subsequently deposited the body in front of a police station with a note attached to it, saying "NEVER!""[/quote]

The scans i posted pretty much sum that part up.

BTW I got some more scans if anyone's interested in a particular scene or character background Info.

I didn't even notice the scans. I'm not saying it isn't justice, but it wouldn't be by legal definition. I know bats is wanted by the cops, but thats because he does a better job than they do.:roll:

Of course, considering his track record of keep criminals locked up, it might be better if he did kill them. Though the book probably would have ended decades ago.

Holy shit, The Comedian looks fucking boss! I can't wait for this movie, although I sincerely doubt it will be anywhere near as good as the book.

I started reading this because one of my friends had gotten into it. It had always looked interesting, I just never took the time to actually start reading it, but now, since my friend had started it, I figured I might as well start too. I couldn't believe how deep/complex this series was. I picked it up expecting a cliché super-hero comic book, but what I got was so much better. Seriously, if you haven't read it yet, get your ass to Barnes & Noble right now. I've started reading it for a second time, and will likely start again once I'm finished.

From the costume pics posted recently, I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed. The Comedian they nailed, I mean that costume is fucking spot-on. But the Nite Owl looks like shit, I mean whats with the metal armor and the ears being at a weird angle? He wore leather. And Ozymandias looks scrawny as hell compared to his character in the book. Also, from what I remember, the Silk (or Silver, can't remember) Spectre never looked that badass. And Rorshach looks pretty good, if a bit stiff.

Maybe it'll be better in motion, only the trailer will tell.

[quote name='CaptainPlanet!']From the costume pics posted recently, I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed. The Comedian they nailed, I mean that costume is fucking spot-on. But the Nite Owl looks like shit, I mean whats with the metal armor and the ears being at a weird angle? He wore leather. And Ozymandias looks scrawny as hell compared to his character in the book. Also, from what I remember, the Silk (or Silver, can't remember) Spectre never looked that badass. And Rorshach looks pretty good, if a bit stiff.

Maybe it'll be better in motion, only the trailer will tell.[/quote]

I think Nite Owl looks ok. Granted it's supposed to be leather but I don't think it would really work as a movie costume.

[quote name='jaykrue']I think Nite Owl looks ok. Granted it's supposed to be leather but I don't think it would really work as a movie costume.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with Nite Owl is that the costume looks too good, if that makes sense. It always seemed to me that part of what Moore was pointing out was the absurdity of the costumed hero, especially with the middle-age Nite Owl putting on a sort of dorky costume when he was out of shape. It was a little pathetic. With an armored costume like the one in the pictures, that same feeling won't be there. I hope I'm wrong, and this does justice to the source material.

I've been waiting on this movie for 16 years (when i finally read watchmen when I was 13). This movie had better not fail. I'll be there opening night. ^_^

[quote name='JolietJake']Punisher i agree with, red hood I'm not familiar with, but batman usually isn't in the business of killing people. At least not from what i remember from the comics. These days they reboot characters so often that bats may be carrying a gun at this point.[/quote]

He started out carrying a gun and crippling/wounding criminals (hell, I'll have to check but I think he even killed some early on..I'm talking the actual Golden Age earliest issues, not the various retcons). See his earliest golden age appearances. Grant Morrison just recently did a brilliant retcon though tying this together,
by basically saying he carried the gun that killed his parents with him until he returned it to its rightful owner, the murderer of his parents (criminal/mafioso Joe Chill or whatever his name is). Once he found him, he gave him the gun and basically terrified the guy so much, with the fear that he would haunt this guy forever, that he drove the criminal to kill himself with said gun.

Who watches the Watchmen/Watchers?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

[quote name='joe2187']The scans i posted pretty much sum that part up.

BTW I got some more scans if anyone's interested in a particular scene or character background Info.[/quote]

God I love that backstory...just the slightest taste of why Watchmen is so damn good. Everyone should seriously just go and pick up the trade paperback at their LCBS, it's like $20 or whatever, probably nicely discounted here and there on the web, amazon, etc.

You should post the prison escape sequence for these guys, that was so damn bad ass too.

The funny thing is, Alan Moore was interviewed here and there (hell, this may even be in the trade paperback/Ultimate edition) where he's stated that so many people ask him specifically about Rorschach, they relate to him, etc. which totally bothers him because he was the character he was rallying against. I'll see if I can dig up some info on this...

I don't see how you can't relate though, if you've even seen a fraction of how evil this world can be and all too often is. Especially that damn quote of his that just sums him up perfectly:

"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Damn, gotta go re-read it tonight. SO glad I have a couple of minty complete sets of the original 12 issue run, that and V for Vendetta's 10 issue run. Such good stuff.

[quote name='CaptainPlanet!']From the costume pics posted recently, I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed. The Comedian they nailed, I mean that costume is fucking spot-on. But the Nite Owl looks like shit, I mean whats with the metal armor and the ears being at a weird angle? He wore leather. And Ozymandias looks scrawny as hell compared to his character in the book. Also, from what I remember, the Silk (or Silver, can't remember) Spectre never looked that badass. And Rorshach looks pretty good, if a bit stiff.

Maybe it'll be better in motion, only the trailer will tell.[/quote]

Sure, the costumes are a tad different, but don't five the costumes more weight than they deserve...it will be the story told, and the appeal of the characters that makes or breaks this. Hell, look at the X-Men movies. Okay not #3, but 1 and 2...I went into the first with WAY low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. So it's not perfect, it's not what we grew up with or are accustomed to or imagine, but it's still good storytelling. Now if only I could swallow the same about the Transformers movie, ugh.

Yeah i know, but a lot of golden age history has been rewritten or just thrown away. Hell, superman couldn't even fly at first, thus the "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" line.

I remember bats using the "who guards the guardians" line in JLU.

So who exactly are these guys helping/protecting? Maybe i just have to strong of an idea of what a hero is. It just seems to me that these guys would do more harm than good.

I understand this more after reading some comments on amazon. So they're after whoever killed one of their former teammates essentially? Thats the main story arc?

[quote name='JolietJake']So who exactly are these guys helping/protecting? Maybe i just have to strong of an idea of what a hero is. It just seems to me that these guys would do more harm than good.[/quote]

Read the trade paperback or watch the movie. You'll find out soon enough. :cool: But if you haven't already noticed, the themes surrounding Watchmen is that "the road to evil is paved with good intentions" and the world can't be easily divided into clearly defined black & white areas; it's all shades of gray. Just because they're 'seen' as heroes (either by characters in the comic or us as the audience), that's not necessarily the case.

And to karkyco:

Joe Chill's been partially retconned due to the events in 52. On some of the 52 universes, Joe Chill's the killer, on others he's not but some unnamed random thug.

[quote name='strummerbs']I think the problem with Nite Owl is that the costume looks too good, if that makes sense. It always seemed to me that part of what Moore was pointing out was the absurdity of the costumed hero, especially with the middle-age Nite Owl putting on a sort of dorky costume when he was out of shape. It was a little pathetic. With an armored costume like the one in the pictures, that same feeling won't be there. I hope I'm wrong, and this does justice to the source material.[/quote]

I think Nite Owl's costume makes sense to me. If you remember, Nite Owl (who is actually the 2nd Nite Owl since the first one was the one in leather) is a technological expert and so his accoutrements should reflect that, especially if you're a pouchy, out of shape middle-aged man. If you were him, would really want to fight crime in leather that armor-piercing rounds could penetrate or kevlar-lined technologically advanced armor?

[quote name='JolietJake']I understand this more after reading some comments on amazon. So they're after whoever killed one of their former teammates essentially? Thats the main story arc?[/quote]

Yes, but it goes so far beyond that, it's not even funny.

[quote name='JolietJake']I understand this more after reading some comments on amazon. So they're after whoever killed one of their former teammates essentially? Thats the main story arc?[/quote]

Tip of the iceberg, really. You're going to hafta read the comic (or your local wiki entry :lol: ) to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I wish it looked more like the graphic novel (The Silver Age look) than it did The Matrix, or any other action movie.

That's a missed opportunity, right there.

BTW thanks for the update on Batman regarding 52...that helps make a lot of sense of where they stand.

Though hopefully they won't start going crazy with retcons in a vain attempt to "straighten out" the history of the DC universe yet again, and end up with the problem they initially had - having contradictory stories and not keeping track of, or being vague about, which universe/earth the story is taking place on.

Anyway, jolietjake please go read the graphic novel! So damn good, and the Absolute Edition, which is just beautiful and makes a fantastic coffee table book, is almost half off on amazon. EDIT: Bah, here is the link. 37% off, no tax and free shipping. Fantastic deal. Unfortunately there are no discounts on Absolute Dark Knight and Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths, $99 ouch. Thank God I have all these in their original print runs. But I love me the Marvel Hardcovers/Omnibuses and DC Absolute Hardcover editions...I love to toss one or two on the coffee table for friends and family to take a look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Abso...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204925878&sr=8-2

[quote name='Brak']I wish it looked more like the graphic novel (The Silver Age look) than it did The Matrix, or any other action movie.

That's a missed opportunity, right there.[/quote]

I agree with that, the costumes and the backgrounds, just look off to me. I guess they don't have that darker, grittier, under exposed film look.

[quote name='karkyco']BTW thanks for the update on Batman regarding 52...that helps make a lot of sense of where they stand.

Though hopefully they won't start going crazy with retcons in a vain attempt to "straighten out" the history of the DC universe yet again, and end up with the problem they initially had - having contradictory stories and not keeping track of, or being vague about, which universe/earth the story is taking place on.[/quote]

The thing is, they don't need to. It really doesn't matter whether or not Crisis of Infinite Earths or 52 happened as the events of Kingdom Come & the concept of Hypertime essentially negate any retcons by making everything possible. Even if the current DC Executive Editor Dan DiDio disavows its existence, once he's either retired, fired, or dead, you can bet some writer will bring the concept back thus retconning that pronouncement. :lol:

[quote name='Brak']I wish it looked more like the graphic novel (The Silver Age look) than it did The Matrix, or any other action movie.

That's a missed opportunity, right there.[/quote]

I dunno if it could be pulled off that way. The 4 colors don't really translate very well to a 'real life' interpretation. I don't think Sin City would apply either since it's monochromatic for the most part and 300 is more surreal than real. Plus you have to consider the extreme level of detail in the graphic novel. Gibbons work (at Moore's direction) is chock full of little things in a single splash page. W/ moving pictures & a 2 hr something constraint, there's only so much you can pull off. That's why I'd prefer this as a limited mini-series on HBO a la Rome because it lends itself well to detail & exposition

I have a copy just lying around, I got it for 2.50 at a Warehouse music store closing sale. and i'll only charge shipping. I also got V for Vendetta at 1.32 and the Entire Garth Ennis Preacher series for 15 dollars.....Im looking to give em away to people that appreciate a good story, Give me a PM and work something out.

[quote name='darthbudge']I agree with that, the costumes and the backgrounds, just look off to me. I guess they don't have that darker, grittier, under exposed film look.[/quote]

I don't know, the Comedian sure looked gritty and grimy to me. Rorshach as well. I thought the pics were pretty dark and set a great mood/tone reflective of the original work...bad or dark lighting...

And if I recall, the original was more a commentary on the Bronze Age, the mid to late 70's and early 80's where comics took that dark, initial extra violent and darker turn and tone...that's what I think Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were commenting and reflecting on if I recall some of the interview statements correctly (and in particular on comments regarding Rorshach).

They were showing the dark reflection of the present, both in comics and the mood of the world, to the imagined/perceived/remembered glory days of the Gold (WW2/Baby Boom) and Silver Age (pre-Vietnam, height of the Cold War pro USA).

bread's done
Back