Watchmen Ultimate Cut $48/$43 @ WBShop [Price Up to $65]

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
One of the harder releases to find in the BD format is back, $47.95 at WBShop:

http://www.wbshop.com/product/watch...ray+1000095490.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

If you're an Insider, you can get 10% off (making it $43.XX). Free ship over $50. Tax is applied in some states.

Given the rarity of this release (sealed copies recently have sold for $125-$200), I would jump on this asap. Thanks to the poster in the Blu-Ray . com forums for pointing it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I got this when I tried placing my order....but I still got an email confirmation.

There was a problem with your order.
spacer01.gif
We are unable to process your order at this time. To place an order by phone, please call customer service at 866-373-4389 8am to 10pm Pacific, Monday through Saturday.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Hmm I got this when I tried placing my order....but I still got an email confirmation.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your order!
Your order confirmation number is *******3. You will also receive an email order confirmation shortly. Please add
[email protected] to your address book to make sure that WBshop.com emails are always delivered to your inbox.
If you have any questions about your order, please contact us at 866-373-4389.

That's what i got.

hahah... how many did you guys order?

I placed an order for four the first time through and got the same message SSJ did, about experiencing an error although I got the order confirmation as well.

I figured maybe they were going to cancel orders with multiples so I placed a second order of just one unit and had no issues what so ever

[quote name='GBAstar']hahah... how many did you guys order?

I placed an order for four the first time through and got the same message SSJ did, about experiencing an error although I got the order confirmation as well.

I figured maybe they were going to cancel orders with multiples so I placed a second order of just one unit and had no issues what so ever[/QUOTE]

I only ordered one, and got the message :whistle2:?

I honestly think this listing is just some error that occurred when they redesigned the site. Somehow they must have reactivated the product. This has been OOP for some time now so it'd be odd for them to all of a sudden get them back, especially when it coincides directly with their website revamp. I'd love to be wrong on that though. I bought a copy a year or two ago from them for like $35 shipped, and sold it for around $50+ (can't recall exact amount). Wish I held unto it though, now that I see how much it's going for :(

I ordered 3. 1 for myself, and 2 for 2 friends who were interested. I really hope this goes through.

I ordered one... So what exactly is the ultimate cut? I see it says it integrates the tales of the black freighter into it. So does that mean it's going to be a mix of live-action and anime? That seems weird.

And why is it so expensive, even at MSRP?

[quote name='Darknuke']I ordered one... So what exactly is the ultimate cut? I see it says it integrates the tales of the black freighter into it. So does that mean it's going to be a mix of live-action and anime? That seems weird.

And why is it so expensive, even at MSRP?[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what it is, and it is a bit strange, but does seem to flow quite well. This makes the release well over 3 hours long and can feel like a bit of a pain to get through, but still pretty decent. I wish it came with the other cuts as well, but sadly it does not. I picked up the director's cut blu and theatrical dvd so I'd have them all, but still seemed odd to not have those in there.

It's done to mimic the flow of the graphic novel, which intertwines the Watchmen's story with the Black Freighter one (which is actually a parallel for the watchmen story). I've only seen Black Freighter separately and I was a little disappointed with it, mostly because of the art style. I hear it works quite well when put together with the film though.

They don't just jump into the animation either. There are scenes added to show a kid reading the Black Freighter comic at a newsstand, just like in the graphic novel. I already have the director's cut of Watchmen, so if this order doesn't go through I may end up getting the Ultimate Cut on DVD, which is just $15 shipped at wbshop

[quote name='Darknuke']And why is it so expensive, even at MSRP?[/QUOTE]

It went out-of-print fairly quickly. High MSRP + low print run = pay through the teeth if you really want it. Or you can buy the Ultimate Cut DVD at GoHastings for $17 :)

My rocky history with Watchmen:

Read and enjoyed the graphic novel decades ago. Skipped the freighter parts.
Rented the DVD and fell asleep 1 hour in.
Bought the Motion Comic DVD to laugh at man voicing lady-parts. never watched it.
Bought the DVD, never watched it.
Bought the Ultimate Cut BD, decided to sell it sealed for great profit.
Bought the super-expensive Amazon exclusive Nite-Owl ship version BD when it was crazy-priced at $15.

The Nite-Owl is a very nice display piece despite being cheap plastic. I still haven't seen the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have tried to order this atleast twice now and both times they were cancelled and this was a long time ago. I placed another one just for the fun of it.

I tried to get this when they did the last gasp of them in 2010, but it didn't happen. I put my order in as soon as I saw this post.

Here's hoping!

[quote name='shrike4242']None of these will ship out. If they do, I'll be extremely surprised.[/QUOTE]

Yea would be surprising. The last 3 times they magically came in stock they were canceled, canceled, and then some fulfilled with rest canceled.

It worked out well with a $20 off $100 code since the code stayed intact on leftover items. The first two times, at least. Then the third time I wound up with 11 copies of Watchmen....but I didn't argue nor have trouble getting rid of them :)

Someone at blu-ray.com claims their order has shipped, guess we'll see.

The fact that they completely removed it from their site leans towards it being a complete error.

I ordered one yesterday when it was like $48 and it put the hold on the money in my account. I checked again today and it put a hold on my account for another $65, which is the cost of one today. It seems they put mine through twice, so be on the lookout. I have to call back in tomorrow for them to attempt to cancel the $65 one.

WBShop does put a hold on funds on the initial order timeframe and then the hold drops off if the item doesn't ship close to the order date.

They will put another hold on the funds when they are ready to ship, and usually ship in 24-48 hours after that timeframe.

I placed an order with them for some items, one of which was backordered. This was back in mid-January, and the hold made at time of order dropped off after 3-5 days. It didn't come back until about two weeks ago, when the order was finally ready for shipment, and it shipped out about a day later.

[quote name='shrike4242']WBShop does put a hold on funds on the initial order timeframe and then the hold drops off if the item doesn't ship close to the order date.

They will put another hold on the funds when they are ready to ship, and usually ship in 24-48 hours after that timeframe.

I placed an order with them for some items, one of which was backordered. This was back in mid-January, and the hold made at time of order dropped off after 3-5 days. It didn't come back until about two weeks ago, when the order was finally ready for shipment, and it shipped out about a day later.[/QUOTE]

I figured they'd hold the funds... most places do. But to hold it twice for only one order? Ordered for $48 and it's showing a $48 order and a $65 order, both from WB. I called my bank and such to check for any activity, but the odds of someone stealing my card and ordering the exact same thing I did are slim. WB said I'd just have to call and cancel the $65 one tomorrow.

[quote name='ssjmichael']No doubt the order went through twice, no fraud or anything since the second charge is the current price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, WB just said to check with the bank because I did a guest checkout so my crap doesn't show in their system for 24-48 hours.

I might end up keeping both if they go through and selling one to a buddy for $50. He wants it as well.

I had placed two orders, and just now someone from WB actually called me to confirm whether my second order was not a duplicate. I dont know if that means they have them or if that means they'll send the orders to a warehouse to try and fulfill them (and find out they dont have any) but just thought I'd share. At least I think it was WB, it could have been EB but that makes less sense since its Gamestop anyways.

I just got the call moments ago too. I asked if these were going through because I told her I have had several doers over the last year or so all get cancelled. She said they will ship. I told sure go ahead and put in both orders and again I told there is no way you’re going to be able to fulfill them. She said well we hope to surprise a lot of people around the country.

This can get everyone ready for the Watchmen prequels (assuming this works out).

And then Watchmen Babies - V for Vacation.

Both of my orders disappeared from my bank records, so I assume that means mine were canceled. I can't imagine them springing a $120 charge back on randomly if they actually do ship.

[quote name='Grammar Police']Both of my orders disappeared from my bank records, so I assume that means mine were canceled. I can't imagine them springing a $120 charge back on randomly if they actually do ship.[/QUOTE]

they are holding charges that disappear unless the item ships first at which point it becomes final. once the item ships they'll recharge your card.

[quote name='oldboy26']they are holding charges that disappear unless the item ships first at which point it becomes final. once the item ships they'll recharge your card.[/QUOTE]

Don't the holding charges stay on, as in actually "hold" the funds? That's the way it worked when I ordered from other places, just not WB. That could screw stupid people up. What if they thought they had the $120 extra since the orders disappeared and the funds have been recredited, only to have them recharged once the $120 is spent? Overdraft galore.

No they don't. Unless they reauth the charge then it will drop off and go through when they ship it. Most good retailers won't keep that charge on there past when it falls off if it hasn't shipped yet. It's kind of dickish to hold someones funds for the entire time before it ships, especially if that takes a month to ship.

I don't know why my previous post asking this was removed so I'll ask again. Of the people who received theirs, who got digibooks and who got Amaray cases?

bread's done
Back