Way to spend only Amazon Promotion Credit?

nnthomas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
I have some Amazon credit, but partial of this is promotional credit from games I've bought. The rest is a regular certificate.

Is there a way to only spend the promotional credit, while not touching the gift certificate, and using that for a future purchase? If I try to pre-order something above the promotional credit amount, it uses the gift certificate money, and I'd like to not do that.

My Fable 3 credit expires at the end of the month, so I want to just get something and use that before it expires, while saving the gift certificate for a different purchase.

The checkout page clearly knows the difference between the amounts, but it bundles it up as one whole amount.

Is there some sort of workaround I could do, such as pre-ordering something that's not a game (applying the gift cert), then using the credit on a game, and then canceling the other item to get my gift cert back?

When selecting the card you are going to use as a payment, there should be an option to uncheck/check which credit you are going to use.

It's been a couple months since I've used amazon credit, so it might have changed.

The only way to spend promo credit w/o using a gift certificate or regular credit on Amazon is to find an item you want that comes close to the total for the promo credit.

Case in point, I ordered the :ps3:GTA IV Lockbox Edition from them last week, since it's $14.89 and I had a $15 promo credit to use.

[quote name='Amblix']When selecting the card you are going to use as a payment, there should be an option to uncheck/check which credit you are going to use.

It's been a couple months since I've used amazon credit, so it might have changed.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping this would have been my option, but the only options I get are either my card, or all of my credit.

[quote name='nnthomas']Is there some sort of workaround I could do, such as pre-ordering something that's not a game (applying the gift cert), then using the credit on a game, and then canceling the other item to get my gift cert back?[/QUOTE]

I would have suggested this. Should work...

Could preorder the Star Wars blu rays ($90 for the full set) or something and then cancel after using the game credit.

Promo credit is gone and unrefundable once it's been used, so as I said earlier your ONLY shot at using JUST the promo credit and nothing else is to find something you want for the amount of the promo credit alone or pretty close to it.

I see only an XBL tag for you on your user profile on CAG OP, so might I suggest the GTA IV Lockbox Edition. It was $16 the last time I checked. At the worst you could use a credit/debit card to pay the last $1-3 and still have the regular gift certificate remain untouched.;)

The promo credit will only be gone and unrefundable if he uses it and doesnt cancel the order, or if the promo credit is expired.

Go to a previously made order. Apply your gift card balance to that order. Now youve got your promo credit to make your order. Then cancel whatever it is you used the gift card balance on.

If you do not have a previously made order, place one and dont use any of your credits on it. After placing it, you can then apply your gift card balance to it by doing what I just said. It wont apply your promo credit. Then place another order to use up your promo credit. Now cancel the gift card balance order.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Promo credit is gone and unrefundable once it's been used, so as I said earlier your ONLY shot at using JUST the promo credit and nothing else is to find something you want for the amount of the promo credit alone or pretty close to it.

I see only an XBL tag for you on your user profile on CAG OP, so might I suggest the GTA IV Lockbox Edition. It was $16 the last time I checked. At the worst you could use a credit/debit card to pay the last $1-3 and still have the regular gift certificate remain untouched.;)[/QUOTE]

I have all systems... but I primarily game on 360. I was gonna use your suggestion and look for something that would fit my criteria, but Amazon has been sparse on deals lately - at least for games I want.

Make sure you do what I said on a pre-order and not anything that will enter the shipping process as youre messing with it. If you need me to be more specific let me know.

[quote name='nnthomas']I have all systems... but I primarily game on 360. I was gonna use your suggestion and look for something that would fit my criteria, but Amazon has been sparse on deals lately - at least for games I want.[/QUOTE]

Your best bet is to do what was posted by ShockandAww. Pre-order something with your CERTIFICATE credit so that it is all used up. Then pre-order what you actually wanted with your PROMOTIONAL credit. Now, cancel the pre-order on the thing you didn't want/used CERTIFICATE credit on. (I believe you can even go back and to your preorder and change the extra payment amount (i.e. 60 - Promotional credit) to your normal certificate credit).IATCG is wrong in saying you have to buy something close to the amount of credit you have though he is correct in his warning that if you try to return or cancel what you bought with your PROMOTIONAL credit that it will not be returned to you.

[quote name='Chris249942']Your best bet is to do what was posted by ShockandAww. Pre-order something with your CERTIFICATE credit so that it is all used up. Then pre-order what you actually wanted with your PROMOTIONAL credit. Now, cancel the pre-order on the thing you didn't want/used CERTIFICATE credit on. (I believe you can even go back and to your preorder and change the extra payment amount (i.e. 60 - Promotional credit) to your normal certificate credit).IATCG is wrong in saying you have to buy something close to the amount of credit you have though he is correct in his warning that if you try to return or cancel what you bought with your PROMOTIONAL credit that it will not be returned to you.[/QUOTE]
What....the.....fuck!?!?!?

You people are making the OP do an extra step just to spend a promo credit. There is NO NEED to use up the normal credit/gift card/gift certificate BEFORE using the promo credit.

All the OP has to do is find something they want to buy either just below or right at the amount of promo credit they have. This will vary though depending on whether or not their state requires Amazon to charge sales tax on stuff though.

If so, then they should figure out what the sales tax will be and plan accordingly. But to tell them to go through the extra steps of pre-ordering and then cancelling said pre-order just to assure them 100% that they won't use even a penny of the normal credit is asinine.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What....the.....fuck!?!?!?

You people are making the OP do an extra step just to spend a promo credit. There is NO NEED to use up the normal credit/gift card/gift certificate BEFORE using the promo credit.

All the OP has to do is find something they want to buy either just below or right at the amount of promo credit they have. This will vary though depending on whether or not their state requires Amazon to charge sales tax on stuff though.

If so, then they should figure out what the sales tax will be and plan accordingly. But to tell them to go through the extra steps of pre-ordering and then cancelling said pre-order just to assure them 100% that they won't use even a penny of the normal credit is asinine.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Not really. The whole thing can be done in literally 2 minutes, and in this way you dont need to look for something close to the amount of your promo credit. In fact doing it your way limits him in price since it uses promo credit first, then goes on to GC balance. What he is trying to do is basically reserve his GC balance for something later, and the only way to set it aside momentarily is to use it up on something and then cancel it after using the promo credit.

So again, in under 2 minutes, you can: Place an order without using any credits. After placing the order apply GC balance to order. Place 2nd order using promo credit. Cancel GC balance order.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if he's just wanting to use the promo credit and not the GC balance, then he should just look for something he might want close to that value and use the promo credit, which should be used FIRST, as long as the item he chooses is sold by and ships from Amazon.

bread's done
Back