We are the Champions Online

I'm in the Beta currently, and yes, it is pretty fun, and a bit quicker paced than WoW or CoH/V. As such, the game really lends itself to using a 360 Controller over Keyboard, movement and skill use become a bit easier.

One thing that makes it stand out is total character customization, as in you can deviate from classes entirely and pick whatever abilities you want once you meet their requirements.

Meaning, if I want to use Fire and Psychic, or Guns and Swords (currently am), or Force Lighting Ice, I can. Doesn't necessarily mean the build will work in the long run, but it does open itself up rather nicely.

I'm definitely looking forward for this being released on the 360, so I don't have to upgrade my computer and can play on my HDTV. :)

I'm HotShotX in the game, if any other CAGs would like to meet up.

~HotShotX

While I'm certainly not getting the lifetime or the six-month sub (I don't normally last that long in an MMO), I'm excited about this one.

I wonder if NCSoft is running scared over this one. For many years now, they've had a corner on the superhero MMO market. Now they have a hip new competitor based on a fairly successful tabletop RPG.

Im going to preorder. I hope it runs well on my macbook pro. Anyone want to start a Cag Guild? lol

[quote name='Anthem85']Im going to preorder. I hope it runs well on my macbook pro. Anyone want to start a Cag Guild? lol[/QUOTE]

If one is made, I want in.

~HotShotX

Okay, so I know it's still technically a beta and everything, but this has been one of the most bumpy starts I've ever seen. Even after all the fixes, I still can't get the patcher to actually finish.

I started to download the updated client from File Planet, but with the amount of people bum rushing to get it, God knows how long that will be... :(

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Okay, so I know it's still technically a beta and everything, but this has been one of the most bumpy starts I've ever seen. Even after all the fixes, I still can't get the patcher to actually finish.

I started to download the updated client from File Planet, but with the amount of people bum rushing to get it, God knows how long that will be... :([/QUOTE]

I got everything working. I used to play CoH/CoV a lot, and I don't really see anything here that differentiates it so far.

I never did the beta for it and was aware of the issues, but I picked it up yesterday, anyway. I'm enjoying it so far. Did anyone else pick it up? Feel free to add DeathTrip if so.

[quote name='Reichan']Is this better than COH and is it free to play?[/QUOTE]

You'll get varying opinions. It's probably a little better in some ways, but not others. Personally I didn't care a lot for either game to play it for more than a month.

[quote name='Reichan']is it free to play?[/QUOTE]

No.

does it have a free trial or something????
And how about the grind???

So many questions so little time hehehehe....

I'm sure they give you 30 days free when you purchase the game initially. For those who don't purchase the game? I don't know. You can find information on this at the games official website more than likely though.

As for the grind, I'm not sure as I didn't make it past the second major zone in beta as the rest was blocked off. It was pretty simple to level using quests though.

I picked this one up too.

Played since head start. The launch day nerf was pretty bad (and indicates some poor planning), but it really just means you need some smart playing since the mobs are fairly tough.

Upsides:
- Classless, skill-based system. Always a plus.
- Character creation... every mention of CO is required to bring this up.
- Single server, for all players worldwide. Splitting up players based on IRL geography is one of the worst things an MMO can do, and is completely against the spirit of a worldwide internet.

Downsides:
- Respec'ing cost a ton of money.
- Lag. CO has terrible lag. People complain about it constantly, so I know its not me. I frequently get rubber-banded back to where I was once my teleport wears out. Or I hit block and my character keeps attacking for several more seconds. This is the worst problem, IMO.
- Crafting is pretty terrible right now. Most people probably won't care, though.
- Single server. Split up into 100 player instances. Means you probably won't run into the same people like you would in a sharded system. This has its ups and downs.
- PvP. Not sure why they bothered. PvP is completely CC-based... player skill counts for very little vs. a superior build. Cryptic have no real PvP experience and it shows.
- One leveling path. All your chars will do the same missions, in the same order. This will almost certainly get fixed in the future though.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head, not a review. Overall... I'm still playing. With the amount of patching Cryptic has done, this might be a wait and see. That said, CoH is still going strong, so I think they know how to make a lasting product.

The grind hasn't been so bad for me so far. Just make sure you do all the optional missions in each zone (check the forums if you have to). Also, be sure and do both Canada and the desert before doing Millennium City.

I think that DCUO could be the big competitor to CO, but I think they will still be different enough gameplay-wise to co-exist.

Also, be sure and do both Canada and the desert before doing Millennium City.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I did the desert and then went to MC at 13. After the first couple of quests, it was pretty rough. I then headed to Canada. The first few quests in Canada were really low for my level, but I'm now picking up lvl 11-12 quests.

I had planned on playing CO a lot last week because I was on vacation, but I ended up picking up Batman Arkham Asylum and Beatles Rock Band for my 360 and that kept me away.

Is anyone still playing this? I made it to lvl 18 and then kind of lost interest. It's sad. I had such high hopes for this.

I am. Though at about level 20 I get bored and make a new hero. When I bought the game I pretty much knew I was paying for a hero creator, not really for a game.

I love the travel abilities. So much walking in MMOs, and teleporting and super jumping is much more fun.

Yeah, I went back and forth on this game, but I used one of the free retcons to completely redo my character. Grabbing regeneration, force shield, an AoE energy builder and main attack, along with some tap DOTs has made the game a lot better. The problem with this game is that there are thousands of ways to ruin your character (since the individual skills are so unbalanced) and comparatively few to make it good.

I still think it's fun, and for me it's a nice break from my 'serious' MMO, Aion.

[quote name='Gden']Bump, anyone still playing this? Would love to start a team/guild whatever its called.[/QUOTE]

I still have a character on there but there has been little to no interest in this game even with it going fully F2P.

I got bored with this game 1-2 months after launch.

The way they set-up the powers were so stupid. You can basically try every power in the game by level 25 (or around there). Really silly.

Game went free today for silver members, which, it seems is all the game's content from lvls 1-40, and a constricted hero creator.

I might check it out again. Are any CAGs interested in trying a laid back guild on the server for the time being?

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Game went free today for silver members, which, it seems is all the game's content from lvls 1-40, and a constricted hero creator.

I might check it out again. Are any CAGs interested in trying a laid back guild on the server for the time being?

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

I'm not silver but I have access to all content. Hero Name: Megazell. I was playing with some of my younger cousins today. I play from time to time but I doubt this game will get much more time out of me. I updated the links on my list for the game along with a guide for fast leveling and content leveling.

My main is called Felinostorm, but that may change when my gold runs out (since he's electricity ,and apparently that's not one of the archetypes you can use)

So it seems that in FFA there at roughly 7-8 archtypes available, and they come with specific abilities (i.e. all abilities are pre-assigned by level, and you only get to choose 2 of them)

From what I can recall from memory, available archtypes in FFA include:

Fire
Ice
Psychic
Archer/Ranger
Shooter/Soldier
Blades/Melee
Tank/Behemoth (or whatever it's called)
and something else.

Although their icons are available (due to a bug), a Gun/Blade hybrid and "Scrapper" are shown as well.

As mentioned before, additional content can be bought as you go, but the overall game and all content from lvl 1-40 is available. For someone like me who hates paying month-to-month, as I feel like I have to play more to get my "money's worth" of the game, I can appreciate the laid back plan.

Aside from that, I opted for a "Shooter" class. "HotShotX" is on CO.

~HotShotX

[quote name='Shimrra']Just setup my character last night, anyone can recommend a guild to join?[/QUOTE]

We'll probably set up a CAG guild once we get up to speed, though I suspect a few of us who already play can do so already.

~HotShotX

Btw, guys when you look someone up I'm pretty sure you have to look them up by the account name, mine is Gdenkun. We all need to get on at the same time so we can start a supergroup. You need to have 5 people in a group total to be able to start a supergroup

fun game so far. Still like Allods Online more as a Free to Play MMO. This game really has a ugly art style, no matter what you do your characters look like ugly. even if you spend alot of time on them in the character creation.

[quote name='Gden']Btw, guys when you look someone up I'm pretty sure you have to look them up by the account name, mine is Gdenkun. We all need to get on at the same time so we can start a supergroup. You need to have 5 people in a group total to be able to start a supergroup[/QUOTE]

I'll add you on when I get home tonight.

[quote name='maingon']fun game so far. Still like Allods Online more as a Free to Play MMO. This game really has a ugly art style, no matter what you do your characters look like ugly. even if you spend alot of time on them in the character creation.[/QUOTE]

I put in a couple hours into Allods Online. Personally I got bored with it, only because it just reminded to much of every other fantasy MMO out there (Runes of Magic, WoW, Pandora Saga, 4Story etc etc.). The art style reminds me of Comix Zone for the Genesis. Character design and look, the other night I saw someone created and play as Red Hulk which looked too exactly like the comic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started playing this the other day once it went F2P. I'll be on the lookout for the startup of the CAG guild.

Look me up online. My account name is PurpleFlames.

Before starting a guild, we need a name for it. I propose CAG Heroes, something generic and easily transferable across multiple superhero games if necessary.

~HotShotX

Tried the trial last year and thought this was fun, but not enough to pay for. Gotta admit this is tempting free-to-play.

The character creator is insane, too.

[quote name='Gden']Yeah, I'm for an acronym that spells CAG, like Champions Against Goons (or Gravity, and all have flight)[/QUOTE]

Too late, already chose acrobat for my travel power (keeping my hero realistic).

~HotShotX

Good luck with that Acrobatics is a terrible, and weak travel power. (WEll really any travel power that lets you fly or jump higher would still be defying gravity so would still work so no tunneling or super speed). Also, is anyone else having a hard time friending the other CAG members? I'm apparently never on at the same time as all of you. Maybe we should agree on a server time to all be on at the same time so we can friend each other and start the super team

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gden'] Also, is anyone else having a hard time friending the other CAG members? I'm apparently never on at the same time as all of you. Maybe we should agree on a server time to all be on at the same time so we can friend each other and start the super team[/QUOTE]

I'm hopping on right now for a bit. Hero's name is HotShotX

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back