Weight Sets?

Your're already doing what I would do. Just keep checking craigslist. I'd shoot for spending $.50/lb or less. You may not get everything you want/need in one shot, but if you're patient, you'll eventually be able to put together a nice (but maybe not matching) set.

If you've got to have it right away...do you have a Play It Again Sports in your area?

Alternatively, you can wait for places like Dick's to have a sale on a weight set.

I forget where but I think it was sports authority was just having a sale ona 300lb weight set for $150.

Which, like m6oo, said is what you want to spend. anymore than 50 cents a pound is a too much.
Although esportsonline has iron plates for about 75 cents a pound and free shipping on orders over $50 I believe.

but CL is the best way. if you can find someone whos moving or something and just giving them away.

Check Goodwill. Occasionally they have weights at the one near me.
Play It Again is alright but there prices are kind of expensive for weights (at least the last time I check, which was admittedly a while ago).

Why use weight sets, Never Gymless, by Ross Enamait. I just ordered it looks very promising. As for weight sets, if you get them off craigslist rusted, soak em in coke-cola, i've read so many articles about saved weight sets.

Restoring Weights

rusty.jpg
rusty1.jpg
rusty2.jpg

I found this abondoned set of rusty dumbbells in a garage. The first thing I did was get them under a hose and clean the gunk off of them with a wire brush. I then quickly dried them off with a towel and then I placed them in a turkey pan where I covered them with Coca-Cola - yes. Coca-Cola. I left them in the Coke for four days and swished them around once a day. When I took them out, I put them under a hose and washed off all of the rust using a wire brush. The rust came right off. Then I quickly dried them off and sprayed them with WD-40.
My next step will be to paint the plates as shown below.
- Shenandoah

Yea, keep trying craigs list, also make sure to look in the free section. Some "quick to be thick" people pick up some weights on impulse and end up letting them set around eventually just trying to let them go for cheap or free to move them.

The coke idea is great.

I've been wanting to pick up, but don't have the room right now :(. Fortunately I have free gym access from school. Never Gymless is aight, and could be perfect for what the TS is looking depending on what kind of conditioning he wants, and what type of physique he is going for.

bread's done
Back