Weird problem with desktop, I really need some help...

StateofMind

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (94%)
I haven't used my desktop in a while (been on this laptop), but I got on it the other day and was greeted by terrible performance. There was a program called VirusRemover2008 on the desktop that I instantly recognized as malicious because 1.) I didn't put it there and 2.) It was very busy with prompts. I ran AVG and it took forever to scan my computer, but after two attempts (the computer just didn't want to work, I had to use the task manager to open programs because I couldn't get to the task bar) it finally finished its scan and found tons of adware/spyware/etc., along with two "threats" that took some effort to get rid of. I ended up using a program remover to get rid of "VirusRemover2008" and whatever it had in my registry.

So, after a restart or two my computer is running relatively well. I'd say it's healthy now...except for the fact that it will not connect to the Internet. It thinks it is...but my browsers won't load, programs can't update, etc. My connections show that I'm connected, my router and my modem say that I'm connected (tried bypassing router, no difference), and no restarting/disabling/connection repairing or anything else has made a difference. From my amateur technical perspective, everything is perfectly fine...except my computer just seems to be missing some step that I don't understand. It looks fine, everything checks out...but apparently there's no connection.

My laptop connects fine, as does my PS3. However, my PS3 is no longer detecting the media server from my PC (this happened before I bothered with my PC). I just don't get it. Any ideas before I spend $50 to talk to a tech guy from HP over the phone who'll probably just have me send it in for some insane price?

After you get rocked that hard by a virus, it's pretty tough to reverse all the damage it's done. Is reformatting a viable option for you?

[quote name='Liquid 2']After you get rocked that hard by a virus, it's pretty tough to reverse all the damage it's done. Is reformatting a viable option for you?[/quote]

Never done it, don't know how to do it, I don't know...

Does that mean I'd lose everything?

[quote name='hero101']Do you have a backup of all your vital data before the virus/trojan hit ya? If so, format away.[/quote]

Maybe? I haven't actively backed anything up. Is there a way for me to tell, and how exactly do I go about formatting? What am I to expect after doing it?

Thanks for the replies.

You can still access your files and such, right? Just hook up an external HDD, save all your data, and then format with a new OS. The installers are really straightforward.

[quote name='Liquid 2']You can still access your files and such, right? Just hook up an external HDD, save all your data, and then format with a new OS. The installers are really straightforward.[/quote]
I don't have an external HDD, but I guess I could sacrifice most of the data...

Am I going to need to find a copy of Windows? I'm not sure that I still have the one that came with my PC, assuming one did.

Did you try the program: Spybot and/or superantispyware? Just burn a copy on a cd from a non-infected pc/mac and you should be good to go.

If you have a flash drive: then just install the program on the flashdrive and make sure you install all the updates.

[quote name='StateofMind']I don't have an external HDD, but I guess I could sacrifice most of the data...

Am I going to need to find a copy of Windows? I'm not sure that I still have the one that came with my PC, assuming one did.[/QUOTE]

You could easily grab an external, get your data, install a new OS, copy the data back, and return the external.

And yeah, you're going to need a new OS. I'd suggest the Windows 7 Beta, except it expires in August. You could either get another copy of Windows, or you could opt for a linux distribution.
Ubuntu, for example, is extremely accessible.

Ok I fixed the problem...somehow. I remembered that the Internet didn't refuse to work until I had "wiped" the program with my program remover, which had to delete three items from my registry. I had a registry cleaner on my computer and went ahead and ran it to see if I could get lucky, and it did the trick. Sort of a last resort before I formatted. After it repaired the registry I gave Firefox a try and it popped right up!

Have to recommend Eusing Free Registry Cleaner now. Promise this isn't a viral ad lol.

Thanks for all the help guys. Was getting a bit worried since I just started a new semester at college and definitely need that computer working.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I still wouldn't feel safe doing secure things on that computer though. I really, really think you should format it.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with Liquid. Although your computer may be fully operation, it isn't necessarily safe to use. Back up what you need then reformat, it's the only sure-fire solution.

Where do you go to school?

Unless you know exactly the virus/malware and the full extent of an infection by it and can guarentee that there was only 1 and not multiple viruses, no.

bread's done
Back