Weird shipping problem

Rynoceros

CAGiversary!
I recently won an auction for a audio/video receiver (Yamaha 661) and DHL totally screwed up the delivery. I eventually ended up having to drive an hour+ to their office to pick it up myself.

DHL apologized for my trouble and gave a refund. Unfortunately, they couldn't just give it to me, they had to refund the shipper's account. Of course, now the shipper won't respond to my requests to have the money transferred over to my paypal account (it's been a week since I first notified them of the problem).

That money should be mine, as I am the one that paid for shipping and I am the one that had to go through all the trouble that caused the refund from DHL.

How do I properly file a complaint to get the funds transferred back to me? Hopefully the seller will respond to me soon (it's a big-time seller with 5000+ ratings), but if he doesn't, I'd like to know what my options are.

DHL has already refunded the shipping costs.

The problem was they twice promised to be at my home at a certain time period so I could sign, and they twice didn't show. Both times caused me to have to leave work for no reason.

I ended up driving over an hour total to get the package from their distribution center. When I picked it up, the clerk processed the refund in front of me.

I just received
correspondence from the seller, he wrote-

"i assure you we did not received no refund from dhl
i rarely see dhl refund on shipping on ground

Steve Saff "

I wrote back -

I am not merely suggesting that you or DHL should refund, I am saying that DHL definitely refunded. The clerk that handed me the package when I traveled to their office processed the refund right in front of me. Check your account.

Please refund the $35 shipping charge to my paypal account as soon as possible.

Thank you

-------

Aside from just waiting to see what happens, do I have any other recourse?

I don't think you'll be able to force the seller to refund the shipping costs. Is the $35 what you paid the seller for shipping or what DHL refunded? Keep in mind that most sellers charge more than actual shipping cost. A really good seller would just refund the amount you paid anyway.

Your only recourse that I see is to keep on the seller for the refund and then negative feedback. Up to you if this is enough to leave bad feedback.

IMO I'd consider the breakdown like this:

Great: Refund full S+H paid
Acceptable: Refund amount refunded by DHL
Poor: Pocket the DHL refund as extra profit.

I wouldn't leave neg for the top two, possibly for the bottom one.

I do not think you should expect the full $35 back. The fee structure on Ebay almost makes sellers add extra into their shipping to cover the expenses.

Plus also remember that Paypal's fee's are taken out of the entire amount with shipping included.

If it were me I would refund my cost to ship (which would be the amount that I paid). This will likely only be around $15 or less, especially if they are a high-volume seller.

However I don't think this seller is under any obligation to refund your money. He completed his end of the deal. He shipped the item and you gladly paid for it.

Your complaint is with DHL. They are the ones that screwed this up. The seller does not deserve a neg since you did agree to the original terms and he delivered.

Yes, but my complaint with DHL has been satisfied. They have refunded their charges. It is now up to the seller to get that refund to me.

From the beginning of this, I basically saw the same 3 scenarios Wubb laid out. I am willing to lay negative feedback if the seller does not refund the amount DHL deposited back into his account. I don't want to put that on the seller as a threat here in the early stages, but will let him know that is my plan if communications break down.

I'll keep you guys updated if/when the seller responds.

I appreciate the opinions/views, but I disagree.

Why don't I deserve the refund? I am the one that paid $35 for the shipping. I am the one that DHL screwed. When DHL issued the refund, it was because of the disservice to me, not the shipper.

Obviously the seller doesn't deserve the refund, he didn't pay for the shipping and his service was fine. Therefore, the seller is in possession of my refund due to the way DHL issues their refunds. Because it is mine, it is only right that he transfer it to my account. It is not his to keep.

I am still wondering if anyone knows of a resource through Paypal that I can use in case the seller won't transfer the funds.

Thanks for reading

How does the OP not deserve atleast part of the refund he jumped threw the hoops to get the refund so he should get atleast part of it.

I see the OPs point, I think my biggest problem is threatening with a negative feedback. The seller did fullfill his end of the deal, the DHL thing is seperate.

bread's done
Back