Well, Fry's was useless today... no Phantom Brave for me.

eldad9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I went to try to find the Phantom Brave limited edition. The San Diego ad didn't specifically say "limited edition", but it did have the same 7-digit number that outpost.com used for the limited one.

The store had perhaps 5 copies, 2 with one #, 3 with the other - but they were all identical. No limited edition.

The senior sales guy had no clue why the single game had two #s, but assured me that's all the store had.

I left empty handed, of course. Phantom Brave was a maybe purchase as it was, since it seems to be as infinitely customizable and configurable as some kind of PC management sim. The limited edition for $40 tipped the scale - but it seems it was not to be.

[quote name='BigHow']
Maybe another Fry's could hook you up?[/quote]

I agree, I remember trying to find Typing of the Dead when it first came out and it was sold out at the Fry's I went to. But one of the clerks there helped me find what other Fry's stores had it in stock.

They weren't really that helpful.

I'd mail outpost.com, but all I'll get is that "the web site and the stores are different bla bla bla" speech.

Are you sure Fry's even carries the Special Edition? Might be pointless to go to all of their other stores when they don't even carry it.

This is limited edition. I scanned back cover. You can identified it. IT says "Special Edition".

PBSE.jpg

Yeah, on the outside there is very very little difference on the boxes. They're identical except for that little spot that masha scanned.

PBSE.jpg

Special Edition (from Masha)

test1.jpg

Regular Edition

Thats the only difference. You probably missed it. I know on the websites they had a different cover for the Limited Edition, but its not.

Cool! That means mine is limited edition at the LA Fry's -- not that it matters a whole lot, as I'd be happy either way. I saw two copies there: one stuck randomly on the shelf and the one the employee brought me when I asked.

By the way, that was my first trip to Fry's. It's amazing. Kicks Best Buy and Circuit City's butts in many ways. Could've spent hours (and hundreds) there, but was with the girlfriend.

one time, i went to fry's to buy la pucelle tactics ($34.99 first week it came out) and they didn't have anymore. i called them the next day to see if they were getting anymore and the clerk told me they had a grip! he said although the shelf was empty, there were still a lot in the back. i dunno if you asked, but maybe they were kept someplace else. ah well, good luck in finding it. :)

I went to Aero drive. it's kinda half way between work and home.

I did ask if they had any more, they said no, and I think they actually did check the inventory system.

No biggie. It's not like I have time to play it or anything.

I went to theFry's in Vegas and they had one copy of Phantom Brave SE. The other difference between the the 2 besides the "special edition" on the back cover it on the sticker Sony uses to seal it on the the number there it has an S ant the end of it.

Thanks masha and dafoomie.

This is ridiculous. If the publisher wants people to pay more for the limited edition, we should be able to tell the difference without forensics.

This is ridiculous. If the publisher wants people to pay more for the limited edition, we should be able to tell the difference without forensics.

I wouldn't go too hard on Nippon Ichi, I think this is their first time self publishing in the U.S. so mistakes are bound to happen. The special edition was mostly for preorders anyway, and they weren't charging any more for it.

Would have been really nice to have some different packaging though, like the cover art that was originally shown for LE before release.

I haven't opened mine yet, still have a backlog before I get to that.

But I wouldn't have spent $40 on it if I didn't think it would be very good. Its a tactical rpg with a couple different things, I heard that instead of having your party just start the fight, you have to summon them into objects on the battlefield, the spirit will take the object's place, and their attributes will be related to the object. Adds a little more strategy to it I guess.

I put in an order at outpost.com for the limited edition, it was cancelled earlier today : (

Normally I live near a Fry's, so I would have just gone and checked, but I'm going to school out in the midwest and there's like no Fry's here : ( : (

bread's done
Back