Well, here's a new way to get screwed by buyers and PayPal!

secretvampire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
141 (100%)
So I sold a copy of Cubivore a couple of months back, I sold a ton of stuff in that week. Buyer pays normally, and I see that they have a Canadian address. I use a postal printer (Endicia) for my domestic stuff and print out labels manually for international packages and fill out the customs forms. I send it off.

Two weeks later, I get a notice from the buyer of "Did you send it yet?" I said, yes, I sure did, a while back. "Did you see my notice at the bottom of the PayPal payment that it's not really a Canadian address?" fuck. How many of you actually check those user notes every time? I ship to their damn PayPal address dammit, no questions asked.

So now I'm fucked because the package never shows up and never gets bounced back. I offered him a half refund since we are both screwed, he tries to claim it's no fault of his. Buyer does a credit card chargeback and I have no recourse since I can't prove I sent the package even though their address is fucked up. Thanks again as always, PayPal! I can't wait until Google designs something to crush your ass.

I always check the notes in the message. You never know what the buyer might say there. I agree it's unfair with what happened to you though.

[quote name='secretvampire']So I sold a copy of Cubivore a couple of months back, I sold a ton of stuff in that week. Buyer pays normally, and I see that they have a Canadian address. I use a postal printer (Endicia) for my domestic stuff and print out labels manually for international packages and fill out the customs forms. I send it off.

Two weeks later, I get a notice from the buyer of "Did you send it yet?" I said, yes, I sure did, a while back. "Did you see my notice at the bottom of the PayPal payment that it's not really a Canadian address?" fuck. How many of you actually check those user notes every time? I ship to their damn PayPal address dammit, no questions asked.

So now I'm fucked because the package never shows up and never gets bounced back. I offered him a half refund since we are both screwed, he tries to claim it's no fault of his. Buyer does a credit card chargeback and I have no recourse since I can't prove I sent the package even though their address is fucked up. Thanks again as always, PayPal! I can't wait until Google designs something to crush your ass.[/QUOTE]

I'm not taking sides.. but if he stated in the paypal notes that it wasnt a Canadian address than yes it is your fault. I check my notes every time receiving payment. I also don't bother sending to countries other than the USA for the sole fact of reasons like the above wether it be true he is screwing u over or not.

BTW for future reference.. never refund a buyer's money without fileing a claim through paypal first. It can only escalate further and you could of saved that half of the money you gave back to him/her, wether they decide to leave negative feedback or not. Than you could file a claim with EBay to get it removed.. not only would you have made out with the money and no negative feedback, you could of gotten rid of a screwey EBayer.

Don't take any offense to the above, just giving my 2 cents. :)

I mean, I do try to check the notes, but still...fix your fucking address!!! I don't have a problem sending internationally like some people, because the percentage of bad transactions is TINY. Like less than domestic honestly (been hit TWICE in the past with "fraud" accounts.) But COME ON.

Luckily, I hadn't given him the half refund yet because he wasn't agreeable to it. And trust me, I'm not offended, I'm a big boy and not a newbie to Ebay and PayPal at all. This is partially my fault, but dammit, it's partly his fault too.

[quote name='secretvampire']I mean, I do try to check the notes, but still...fix your fucking address!!! I don't have a problem sending internationally like some people, because the percentage of bad transactions is TINY. Like less than domestic honestly (been hit TWICE in the past with "fraud" accounts.) But COME ON.

Luckily, I hadn't given him the half refund yet because he wasn't agreeable to it. And trust me, I'm not offended, I'm a big boy and not a newbie to Ebay and PayPal at all. This is partially my fault, but dammit, it's partly his fault too.[/QUOTE]

Make sure payment clears from your paypal account to your bank account before sending out anything.. that'll keep you in the clear. Wether it takes 3 days or not for you to send out the buyers product. I think you can state when selling your items now.. shipment will be made after a certain amount of days and why.

i had this happen 2 times but both in the USA

said

confirmed address
xxxx

but in the note it says

dont send me my address but send it here

I already sent the item and told them too bad item was shipped ANd paypal says ITEM MUST BE SHIPPED TO CONFIRMED ADDRESS

i just emailed paypal saying that and i won both times

have no clue if the buyer got the item or not ,..... then again these were both usa addresses dont know about canada

if they are stupid enough to put 2 addresses in the thing that is their fault

yep i agree with slide. i always send it to them with their default paypal addy no matter what.

also if you guys read my fiasco a while ago, i dont sell to canada anymore.

[quote name='111111']yep i agree with slide. i always send it to them with their default paypal addy no matter what.

also if you guys read my fiasco a while ago, i dont sell to canada anymore.[/QUOTE]
Why is that? Link please.

From my point of view and opinion, its not the buyers fault. He stated that its not a Canada addess. It could be PayPals fault. My PP account is confirmed and verified, but for what ever reason, one day, my account became unconfirmed and unverified. I dont know how this happened considering I didnt change any information at all. But after a few days or so, it went back to confirmed and verified.

What PayPal should do is put the NOTE at the top so sellers can see it before they scroll down to the address payment.

So the delivery address on the payment was Canadian, but they put a seperate US address to 'really' mail to in the notes? PayPal lets you put in whatever address you want as part of the payment process (it just wouldn't be confirmed if you change it) What a PITA.

[quote name='AcePuppy']Make sure payment clears from your paypal account to your bank account before sending out anything.. that'll keep you in the clear. Wether it takes 3 days or not for you to send out the buyers product. I think you can state when selling your items now.. shipment will be made after a certain amount of days and why.[/QUOTE]

There really is no need to wait for the money to clear from you PP into your bank account. If you are worried about things, just do the withdraw as soon as the money comes in and mail out normally. It will easily be cleared into your account before any sort of complaint would come up. Besides most of us that sell on eBay routinely will always have money coming in, so there isn't much point.

I have seen a few guides advise you should wait a few days as it's possible a payment will come back as fraudulent (which apparently takes PP a few days to figure out) but to me it's worth the very small risk of that in order to have happier buyers.

[quote name='iazybandit']It could be PayPals fault. My PP account is confirmed and verified, but for what ever reason, one day, my account became unconfirmed and unverified. I dont know how this happened considering I didnt change any information at all. But after a few days or so, it went back to confirmed and verified.
[/QUOTE]

PayPal had some sort of problem several weeks or so ago around confirmed addresses. That was probably the deal with that. I don't remember exactly, but I know they had a blurb advising sellers to lift any restrictions around only accepting payments from confirmed addresses and that all payments made during that time period would be eligible for seller protection no matter if the address is confirmed or not.

It only takes a day for a payment to come back as fraud. and just because you withdraw into your bank account.. paypal can take it back until it actually clears.. thats why it takes a couple days for it to actually go through.

thats definately the buyers fault before you make the payment paypal lets you pick the ship to address and he picked that address the seller technically has to ship to that address because thats the address provided to him from the buyer.

[quote name='wubb']PayPal had some sort of problem several weeks or so ago around confirmed addresses. That was probably the deal with that. I don't remember exactly, but I know they had a blurb advising sellers to lift any restrictions around only accepting payments from confirmed addresses and that all payments made during that time period would be eligible for seller protection no matter if the address is confirmed or not.[/QUOTE]
Mine actually happened a couple months ago.

[quote name='AcePuppy']It only takes a day for a payment to come back as fraud. and just because you withdraw into your bank account.. paypal can take it back until it actually clears.. thats why it takes a couple days for it to actually go through.[/QUOTE]
Actually it doesnt take a day. I had someone pay me with a stolen PayPal account and bidded with a stolen eBay account and tried to send it to Africa or something. It took PayPal 3 days before they reversed the payment. I actually had to personally call the actual owner of the eBay account to make sure. Luckily he was on the phone with eBay at the same time I called. Obviously I didnt send.

All you should have to do is tell PayPal you shipped to the confirmed/verified address, granted you did this through PayPal then there is your proof, tell them he requested to have it shipped to another address and they should side with you.

I love how all these American are in here "Oh I don't trade to Canadians for that reason"

Guess what guys? I had someone from the USA do this to me and I am from Canada!

Bought my DS + Games, sent payment and requested to be shipped to a different address. I said whatever and shipped it because I did a bit of snooping and determined it was both their houses.

Regardless, read your PayPal notes and get delivery confirmation ALWAYS, costs an extra $1.50, but would have saved you how much here?

Also, by not shipping to Canadians, you're hurting yourself by closing the doors to tons of possibly buyers, our dollar has been hanging around yours for quite a while so a lot of Canadians are buying from Americans right now with the high dollar and as long as you're smart enough to take the proper safety measures, I can guarantee you will not get ripped off.

It's when you ship to Joe Shmoe with 0 feedback, untracked, no delivery confirmation you get ripped off. A simply signature from Joe on his doorstep proves he got it and only cost you a $1.50.

bread's done
Back