Went to goodwill today and picked up a great deal

mcdaking84

CAG Newbie
picked up Final Fantasy VII 3-disc set, Final Fantasy Anthology 3-disc set, and Metal Gear Solid 2-disc set all for 75 dollars. All originals complete.

Will beat both ff games for the first time and hopefully sell all 3 for a large amount.

What was the spread on the three? $25 each? If so, MGS is a tad high at that price, but overall you did well.

I think ShopGoodwill, their auction site, has a lot to do with rising prices of stuff. Stores that use that have to have noticed by now that certain games make bidders freak out. When a lot that has, say, Madden 96, Tiny Tank, and Ridge Racer fetches $4, and the same lot with, oh, Intelligent Qube fetches $50, it's an easy guess what that store is going to do whenever they get in copies of Intelligent Qube.

In fact, there's an auction on there right now for the same three games OP got and it's up to $53 with two days left. How's that for a coincidence? =P

[quote name='moiety']Yeah I am a bit surprised at the price too. Still a good deal, just seems so expensive for Goodwill...[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the reality of today's Goodwill. They've been trying to reinvent themselves as a 'boutique' sort of store for the last few years. The auction site doesn't help matters, either. To me, the whole idea is pretty laughable, considering it's glorified trashpicking. I stopped going to Goodwill on a regular basis a couple years ago, and it's been months since my last visit period. Maybe it's just me, but when I go to a 'thrift' store, I have certain expectations in mind, one of which is not an employee pricing games by the number of discs included and trying to 'cut me a deal' on a game that's missing a disc by knocking a disc's or 2 worth off the price. No thanks.

LOL The word thrift is lost on modern thrift stores in MANY areas anymore. The Salvation Army stores around here price games like gold($10 for a 10 year old common PS1 game that I can get for .90 @ Gamestop? no thanks).

I was shocked I got 3 Genesis games last week for $1 each from them.

i actually stopped in a goodwill today just for the heck of it since everytime i go everything is ridiculously overpriced and the only games they had were Jeopardy for PS1 priced $14.99 each.

[quote name='Pi573']What was the spread on the three? $25 each? If so, MGS is a tad high at that price, but overall you did well.

I think ShopGoodwill, their auction site, has a lot to do with rising prices of stuff. Stores that use that have to have noticed by now that certain games make bidders freak out. When a lot that has, say, Madden 96, Tiny Tank, and Ridge Racer fetches $4, and the same lot with, oh, Intelligent Qube fetches $50, it's an easy guess what that store is going to do whenever they get in copies of Intelligent Qube.

In fact, there's an auction on there right now for the same three games OP got and it's up to $53 with two days left. How's that for a coincidence? =P[/quote]

saw that today, I am also trying to win that auction and sell those games.

[quote name='Porksta']FFA is 3 discs? Doesn't the cover say 2?[/quote]

It came with a soundtrack disk as the third disk, but since it's not a game disk, it's not listed on the cover.

Bah, it's not a deal if you paid more than 5 per game.

I stick to ignorant pawn shops and flea markets. Most thrift stores around me have nothing but garbage anyway. I've yet to find a decent game in a thrift. Plus those places smell like urine.

[quote name='xRiskyx']Bah, it's not a deal if you paid more than 5 per game.

I stick to ignorant pawn shops and flea markets. Most thrift stores around me have nothing but garbage anyway. I've yet to find a decent game in a thrift. Plus those places smell like urine.[/quote]

I was lucky at my local good will I picked up a Sims 2 Life Stories for 5$ and an NES for 10$

Wow. The Goodwill here charges $4.99 for PS1 games. On the other hand, they price original Playstation and N64 consoles for $30 and SNES and Genesis consoles for $20 (with or without hookups).

[quote name='jbroush99']Wow. The Goodwill here charges $4.99 for PS1 games. On the other hand, they price original Playstation and N64 consoles for $30 and SNES and Genesis consoles for $20 (with or without hookups).[/quote] My goodwill has ps1's for 20$ my cousin goodwill had ps1's for 30$ SNES for 20$ N64 for 45$

[quote name='masterofdarkness']My goodwill has ps1's for 20$ my cousin goodwill had ps1's for 30$ SNES for 20$ N64 for 45$[/quote]

There's a thrift by me with a complete N64 for 14 dollars.

LOL That Shopgoodwill site is hilarious. Comes with 1 mile of cabling...overstate much I wonder?

Mind you, the one game bundle is kinda nice, but eh, I know I'd be outbid for it.

yeah.. they seem to be taking advantage of peoples donation and selling them 20 to 30 times more than they would have sold them for.

Poke around in the music CDs. They don't know the difference a lot of the time. I got PS Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Marvel vs Street Fighter, Tactics Orge, and Diablo for $3.99 each once.

I've never found anything that good since.

bread's done
Back