Were you a gamer in the early 80's?

As long as theres no physical damage and with proper cleaning I could get any cartridge to work. Now I've run across CDs were it doesn't matter how well you buff, it's just a lost cause.

[quote name='Rodimus']As long as theres no physical damage and with proper cleaning I could get any cartridge to work. Now I've run across CDs were it doesn't matter how well you buff, it's just a lost cause.[/QUOTE]

+1. There is no such thing as a dead cart in my house. :D

Even if the outer case is destroyed it will still work. Basically the only thing that could stop a cart from working is damage to the board.

[quote name='venturin']Ah but for many the natural progression from the Commodore 64 was the Amiga. What an amazing machine, ahead of it's time in many ways. The games were so good, the graphics so advanced, the sound so immersive.

I took a nice detour with the Amiga before I settled in to my life long love of console gaming.[/QUOTE]

So here's something I was always curious about. How big was the Amiga in Europe or America, for that matter. TBH, I never started paying any real attention to computers until a few months before the Windows 3.1/MS-DOS to Windows 95 transition so I never heard much on the Amiga outside of the fact it was used in Babylon 5. I always thought that, in Europe, PC gaming was just much larger than console gaming to the point where people there would rather get remakes of PC games than console ones.

Atari 400 - my oldest brother bought it for the family for xmas in early 80's. Got Space Invaders with it, then Pacman for the following Easter. Eventually the industry crashed and I got a bunch of games for 3-5 bucks: Jungle Hunt, Joust, Ms. Pacman, Football, Pole Position, Eastern Front 1942, Robotron, Centipede, Basketball. It was great because it looked more like the arcade, unlike the 2600.

My earliest memories are on my Apple IIe. I remember playing the "games" on it's tutorial disk for hours. It was just a green monochrome monitor.

Then we upgraded to a color monitor so I could play Kings Quest. I remember buying PC games at Waldenbooks.

I remember the Pizza Hut had a NES cabinet with SUper Mario Bros and excitebike (?) on it that you could choose from.

@Slowdive, The Atari Jackets aren't running that expensive and actually has some style going. I wonder what my size would be.. Americans in the 80's were much slimmer.
5e74_1_sbl.JPG

I remember Phantasy Star IV and Chrono running close to the 100 price tag. I got my parents to buy me SF2 at sears on the SNES, it was like 76 and I had it about a month or two before its official release.

@Eldergamer

1044768-playchoice10_large.jpg

[quote name='Theenternal']@Slowdive, The Atari Jackets aren't running that expensive and actually has some style going. I wonder what my size would be.. Americans in the 80's were much slimmer.
5e74_1_sbl.JPG

[/QUOTE]

That is the same style, but mine was all silver, not blue

like this one:
H5sA

http://flic.kr/p/H5sA

[quote name='Theenternal']Wow, that's pretty 80's looking lol...but also sorta looks like the drive jacket[/QUOTE]

As far as the sizes go, I think the true vintage ones were only youth sizes, so most adult males would need a XL if they are average (140-165 lbs) build. If you are about 125 you could go with a L.

yea I would have not even thought about that. Thanks! I'm actually going to put one of those auctions in my list for a reminder to check them out. I might need an XXL, as ive had experience with other size classes.

(A&F)%20Womens%20Down%20Jacket%20(Down%20Coat)%20in%20Navy%20Blue.jpg

A few years ago I bought something like this without the fur at Dillards it was an XL, I bought one for my brother too at XXL. I don't normally wear those sizes, but I know some clothing sizes can be real different depending on the store. And this is what fit, That week As I'm wearing the jacket I had multiple girls mention "how cute" the jacket looked on me. Never, "that jacket looks good on you." A few days later I give my brother his jacket and he was complaining that it was too small, and I was calling him fat for not fitting. But I did notice that mine was pretty small too so decided to take them back.

I take the coat back to dillards, and get this very noticeably gay clerk to help me with returning the jacket. He can't find where it came from, I told him I got it from the clearance rack, he thought about it for a sec and then asked me to follow him, and there in the women's section was a rack of those coats.

I used to have an Atari 2600 and I used to love the old arcade in Glendale, CA. Many quarters were spent there playing Zaxxon and QBert.

[quote name='Theenternal']yea I would have not even thought about that. Thanks! I'm actually going to put one of those auctions in my list for a reminder to check them out. I might need an XXL, as ive had experience with other size classes.

%28A&F%29%20Womens%20Down%20Jacket%20%28Down%20Coat%29%20in%20Navy%20Blue.jpg
A few years ago I bought something like this without the fur at Dillards it was an XL, I bought one for my brother too at XXL. I don't normally wear those sizes, but I know some clothing sizes can be real different depending on the store. And this is what fit, That week As I'm wearing the jacket I had multiple girls mention "how cute" the jacket looked on me. Never, "that jacket looks good on you." A few days later I give my brother his jacket and he was complaining that it was too small, and I was calling him fat for not fitting. But I did notice that mine was pretty small too so decided to take them back.

I take the coat back to dillards, and get this very noticeably gay clerk to help me with returning the jacket. He can't find where it came from, I told him I got it from the clearance rack, he thought about it for a sec and then asked me to follow him, and there in the women's section was a rack of those coats.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha Yeah, that's a woman's coat! My brother had a similar experience. He was leaving his girlfriend's apartment in Chicago and she let him borrow one of her sweaters since he didn't have any other clothes with him. He took a cab and the Indian cabbie asked "Are you going to the parade?" The parade he was referring to was the gay pride parade because he saw the sweater was a woman's cut.

My parents got the family an Atari 2600 for Xmas around 1981. I used to play the crap out of that machine. The machine died within 3 or 4 years. After that, my next system was a NES which died within 2 years due to a power surge. As I mentioned in another thread, I started collecting 2600 games after finding about a dozen cartridges in my childhood bedroom 2 years ago, then finding a 2600 system and ~20 games at a garage sale for $25.

[quote name='matrix9280']Back then did people pay the same prices that we pay now for new games? The idea of paying 50-60 bucks for an Asteroids or Jr.Pacman cartridge seems silly to me.[/QUOTE]

My dad relayed a story to me over the holidays which I clearly have forgotten over the last 30 years. Apparently I had some sort of homework contract with my 3rd grade teacher where if I did all my work every week, Dad would buy me a 2600 game, at roughly $30 each. Dad complained about how much that contract cost him back in the day.

bread's done
Back