WERID UPDATE is it hard to file a complaint against the post office

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
i sold a FF7 game for 60 bucks shipped.. game worked when it left... get an email from the person saying the game dont work ..... i put 100 bucks of insurance on it .... so what do i do now

do i go down and file the complaint

does the buyer go down with the item

or what

thanks

i told them i file it against the post office... they are demanding that i refund their money and then they will send the game back .....

i got almost 250 feedback on ebay they got 9

just got this back anyone know what it means

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 < Recipient address rejected:

You have to go as the shipper , and im not sure theres much you can do in this case but just know that anything you do will take months !

[quote name='slidecage']
i told them i file it against the post office... they are demanding that i refund their money and then they will send the game back .....[/QUOTE]I think Limegreen is right; the shipper has to file the insurance claim. Once you file it, USPS starts its investigation and will probably go to the person you shipped to at that time.

Did they pay with Paypal? Paypal will require the buyer return the game before forcing you to give a refund (unless they're obnoxious and do a CC chargeback).

You aren't going to get anything back from the post office. Only way you could get something back is if it was broken and you had proof the package was damaged enough to break the game.

I would be weary of the buyer. He might pull a switch on you. Meaning, he already had a non-working copy of the game. He will send that one to you. You refund his money, he now has a working copy for free. Be very careful of this. If you know it was working i would just refuse the refund. Paypal can't take the money from you since he got the game. Ebay doesn't do anything. I would just refuse the refund if you are positive it worked properly.

[quote name='schuerm26']I would be weary of the buyer. He might pull a switch on you. Meaning, he already had a non-working copy of the game. He will send that one to you. You refund his money, he now has a working copy for free. Be very careful of this. If you know it was working i would just refuse the refund. Paypal can't take the money from you since he got the game. Ebay doesn't do anything. I would just refuse the refund if you are positive it worked properly.[/QUOTE]Refusing the refund won't stop the buyer from filing a claim with Paypal, at which point the buyer would have to return the game and slidecage would be forced to give the refund. I don't think there's really anyway for OP to protect himself from someone pulling a switcheroo like that (except maybe photo evidence that the games are different).

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Refusing the refund won't stop the buyer from filing a claim with Paypal, at which point the buyer would have to return the game and slidecage would be forced to give the refund. I don't think there's really anyway for OP to protect himself from someone pulling a switcheroo like that (except maybe photo evidence that the games are different).[/QUOTE]

another question... if im forced to refund the money , do they get all the money or just the auction money

Meaning the auction closed for 50 and the shipping was 2/3 day mail so it cost another 10 bucks (cost almost 8 just to ship it)

so do i have to refund the entire 60 bucks or the 50.... Why should i have to refund shipping I didnt profit from it..... i know for a fact the game worked....

[quote name='slidecage']another question... if im forced to refund the money , do they get all the money or just the auction money

Meaning the auction closed for 50 and the shipping was 2/3 day mail so it cost another 10 bucks (cost almost 8 just to ship it)

so do i have to refund the entire 60 bucks or the 50.... Why should i have to refund shipping I didnt profit from it..... i know for a fact the game worked....[/QUOTE]
I think you would have to refund the shipping, since Paypal believes that you sent them a not-as-described item. For the shipping costs, you are out shipping, but so is the buyer (since they cover the return shipping).

i find this fishy in a email they sent back

I acutally bought it for my brother and was just testing it on my PS2. I'll see if it works with his system. I had a copy of FFVII myself and it used to work in my PS2 with no problems. I tried other PS1 games today and they work too. For some reason, this one just won't boot up...

They had a copy of this game and it stopped working... now mine isnt working.. if you ask me they are trying to keep my working copy and give me his piece of SHIT ....

[quote name='slidecage']i find this fishy in a email they sent back

I acutally bought it for my brother and was just testing it on my PS2. I'll see if it works with his system. I had a copy of FFVII myself and it used to work in my PS2 with no problems. I tried other PS1 games today and they work too. For some reason, this one just won't boot up...

They had a copy of this game and it stopped working... now mine isnt working.. if you ask me they are trying to keep my working copy and give me his piece of SHIT ....[/QUOTE]
That email doesn't sound fishy at all. He said that he used to have a copy of FFVII that worked on his PS2, but that doesn't mean he still has it and it stopped working on his PS2. He probably just doesn't have the copy anymore (otherwise he probably would have given it to his brother). It just sounds like he's trying to be reasonable and double check that it's the game and not his PS2 that's the problem.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Refusing the refund won't stop the buyer from filing a claim with Paypal, at which point the buyer would have to return the game and slidecage would be forced to give the refund. I don't think there's really anyway for OP to protect himself from someone pulling a switcheroo like that (except maybe photo evidence that the games are different).[/quote]

No he wouldn't. As long as the game gets there, they can't do anything. The buyer would have to get the item appraised for damage in order for paypal to do anything. He won't do it. It is a huge hassle. As long as the item gets there Paypal won't do anything.

I have had this happen to me before. If he files a claim you then have several options. Give him a refund after he returns it, Disagree with the buyers claim, etc...

Click that you disagree. Paypal will then in most cases say that you are covered because all you have to do is get the game to the buyer. Which you did. If they don't say this, then the buyer will have to take the video game to an "appraiser" and get record of it being damaged. Then he has to fax that paperwork to paypal. Then paypal will decide. It is a huge huge hassle for the buyer.

i got another email off the person... asking to refund the money and they will return the game... they dont want me to go down to the post office to file a damage claim ........

in my auction it said

all sales are final No returns ..... if they file a chargeback would i be out of luck cause it says ALL SALES FINAL No returns

[quote name='slidecage']i got another email off the person... asking to refund the money and they will return the game... they dont want me to go down to the post office to file a damage claim ........

in my auction it said

all sales are final No returns ..... if they file a chargeback would i be out of luck cause it says ALL SALES FINAL No returns[/quote]

Tell them you have to file a claim or you'll be stuck with shipping fees and a broken item.

Basically go down to the post office, you'll fill out a few forms the post master will then call their post office who will contact them and make inquiries. If you get lucky they might crack and drop the whole thing, if not before paypal refunds their payment they must ship the item back to you, at which point either it gets lost (remember DC confirmation is needed) or it arrives and you can inspect it and contact paypal if the problems aren't as discribed by the buyer.

Sounds like a case of buyer's remorse or possibly an attempt to switch out a bad set of disks.

this last email now makes me wonder if they r bootlegers

See, that's the problem with playing games straight from CD or DVD... consoles need to start coming with nice sized hard drives!

i might b reading that wrong but to me it sounds like they want to make back ups... even with hard drivres the games would stilll run off the dvd

lucky i stilll have my own personal copy of the game . so once i get it back it will be very easy to tell if they sent me back a bootleg

i went down to the post office today around 7am when they opened... and was told that the person who has the package has to take the item down to the post office to start the claim

i emailed the dude and was shocked they emailed me back so fast... they said they dont have to do anything and they are demanding that i send their money back to them ... they said they dont have time to take the game down to the post office and dont have to deal with the post office and they want their money back NOW.....

any ideas what to do now or am i mostly scewed

it did say in the auction that all sales are final no returns but it did say th e game worked (what it did when it left my house)

thanks again

No item, no refund. If you refund in advance, then you've lost all leverage you may have had with the customer.

But yea, you're basically screwed. The PO will in all likelyhood say that there's nothing that they could have done to optical media to mess it up, and deny your claim simply based on that.

You have it in writing that all sales are final, in a "legally binding contract"... and to guarantee they got a working product, insurance was purchased. They're refusing to file a claim, therefore it's their problem.

It sounds to me like they've got something to hide. I wouldn't return their money, if I were in your shoes.

Tell him you can't give him a refund unless he takes it down to the post office so they can assess the damage. And seriously, who doesn't have time to go to the post office? They're open six days a week, even on Saturdays; albeit shorter office hours.

However, if you do plan on refunding him if he sends the game back to you, he'd still have to wait until the game arrives back according to eBay and Paypal. Either way, you can't refund him immediately.

[quote name='slidecage']i went down to the post office today around 7am when they opened... and was told that the person who has the package has to take the item down to the post office to start the claim

i emailed the dude and was shocked they emailed me back so fast... they said they dont have to do anything and they are demanding that i send their money back to them ... they said they dont have time to take the game down to the post office and dont have to deal with the post office and they want their money back NOW.....

any ideas what to do now or am i mostly scewed

it did say in the auction that all sales are final no returns but it did say th e game worked (what it did when it left my house)

thanks again[/quote]

Tell him he's free to file a paypal dispute but that paypal will require to ship the item back to you before any refund is issued, I'm not sure if they would require him to participate in a USPS claim.

It really seems like he wants is refund and then he'll just forget to ship your item back.

thanks for all the help... i sent around 400 items out in the last 5 years and this is the first time i ever had to file a real claim

Tell them he either files a claim with the post office or he keeps his item. If he does not want to follow your instructions let him file a claim with paypal and then let him ship it back to you first.

[quote name='m0dem']Tell them he either files a claim with the post office or he keeps his item. If he does not want to follow your instructions let him file a claim with paypal and then let him ship it back to you first.[/QUOTE]

bad thing with shipping it back to me is that it VOIDS the insurance on the package... both workers i talked to at the post office said if they send the item back the insurance will be VOID

i went into my account today and seen this

Super fast shipping as promised! **Fantastic** communication!

if the game is broken why would you leave positive feedback???

i told them to take the game back to the post office to start the claim. I wonder what is really going on. do they know they broke it and wont take it back to the post office (i told them take it back monday and they still havent) Do they know they got caught trying to do a switch?

hopefully by next week i will email them back to see if they finally sent the game to the post office

Maybe he finally tried it on his bro's console and saw that it worked. (I didn't see you mentioning that he said he did that in later posts.) I actually had something like that happen to me before. I sold a used copy of Metroid Prime that I knew for sure worked, and the buyer emailed me saying it didn't work. I suggested to him to first try it on a friend's Gamecube to make sure it's the game and not a finicky console. I don't ever get a response back from him; instead I get positive feedback that says "Everything works fine. Fast delivery and great communication, thanks!"

How is any of this the problem of the USPS? The only thing insurance covers is damage caused during shipping and no one has claimed any problems there - did the buyer state the package was damaged/crushed when it arrived? How did the game magically "stop working" while in the mail?

Either the buyer is trying to scam you as others have said or you sent the game knowing it had problems and are trying to scam the P.O. using insurance (reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.) Either way, I hope whoever handles the claim will call shenanigans and toss it out quickly.

Just curious, was insurance required or just offered in the auction?

[quote name='Johnny Postman']How is any of this the problem of the USPS? The only thing insurance covers is damage caused during shipping and no one has claimed any problems there - did the buyer state the package was damaged/crushed when it arrived? How did the game magically "stop working" while in the mail?

Either the buyer is trying to scam you as others have said or you sent the game knowing it had problems and are trying to scam the P.O. using insurance (reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.) Either way, I hope whoever handles the claim will call shenanigans and toss it out quickly.

Just curious, was insurance required or just offered in the auction?[/QUOTE]

insurance is required on all my items. after watching one post worker toss my sega cd though the air years ago i always demand insurance be put on the items..

all i know is game worked before i sent it. if i wanted to scam the post office i wouldnt of told them there was cracks on the plastic case . i could of went

DUDE YOU CRACKED MY CASE : )

i told them to keep in touch and mail me a copy of the claims letter when they take it down there (if they do) and i told them if the post office Rules against then and i get the package back and its my cds i would refund the cash then... im not going to be one of these #$#$#$# on ebay who screws people out cash

like the person who just screwed me out of 25 bucks today. (would been 140 bucks if ebay buyer protection didnt kick in ) Those #$#$#

You insured it for too much. Even if they refunded you, which it sounds like they will not, they will not pay you more than it sold for. In actuality it is more likely they will give you the original msrp in an eBay item case. But anyway if you insured it for $50 or less the insurance claim would have been handled in office. This is very important for one reason...in office means the local postmaster decides. PMs will almost always just give you the money to avoid ticking off a custojmer. Once it gets over $50 it goes to the claims office in St. Louis, which not only takes 2-3 months but almost never pays out, especially on eBay stuff. Insuring it for more than you sold it for is also a big red flag to them.

[quote name='crowbb']You insured it for too much. Even if they refunded you, which it sounds like they will not, they will not pay you more than it sold for. In actuality it is more likely they will give you the original msrp in an eBay item case. But anyway if you insured it for $50 or less the insurance claim would have been handled in office. This is very important for one reason...in office means the local postmaster decides. PMs will almost always just give you the money to avoid ticking off a custojmer. Once it gets over $50 it goes to the claims office in St. Louis, which not only takes 2-3 months but almost never pays out, especially on eBay stuff. Insuring it for more than you sold it for is also a big red flag to them.[/QUOTE]

i have always been told to put the price at what it would cost to replace it. they fetch 60-70 now. so i guessed that what the price would be to replace it IF the prices continue to go up and something happens.

i have been told a number of times to over insure the packages from the workers themself. I go in and put 30 on an item and they go

" you might as well make it 50 bucks cause it cost you the same"

If it takes that long it takes that long.

I have had some clerks tell me that as well. They say to just put $50 worth of insurnace on it. What I hate is the strange looks I get when I ask for $5 worth of insurance on an item. Anything under $20, insurance is optional and I have had people pay the $1.35 for insurance even on a $5 item. Anything I sell for over $20 has the insurance cost added into the shipping fee.

That is completely incorrect. There is a gray area where "collectibles" are concerned but the post office always leans towards themselves. If it is under $50 you can probably get away with showing the auction email as proof of value. This is only because it is entirely within the domain of the local office. They will NEVER give you over the value you got unless you somehow scam the supervisor or the Postmaster you deal with.

If it's over $50 it has to go to the claims center. There is no choice in this. The claims center has done a complete reversal in the past 5 years. They used to always pay out, now they almost never pay out. They also require more proof than an eBay auction or email. Emails and eBay auctions are officiall not recognized as proof by the post office, but like I said if it's below $50 they will likely accept them if you can convince them they are legit. I have discussed this very issue with the accountables clerk at my office who has to deal with these issues on a daily basis. Also he would have to file the claim because he is in possession of the item. He'd have to bring the item AND the packaging into the post office. You do not get to keep the item when collecting in insurance. You really get screwed when trying to collect on insurance with the USPS these days.

If a clerk has told you to insure an item for more than you sold it for he is very bad at his job.

But as for the actual issue don't give the guy a dime until you get the game back.

[quote name='slidecage']i have always been told to put the price at what it would cost to replace it. they fetch 60-70 now. so i guessed that what the price would be to replace it IF the prices continue to go up and something happens.

i have been told a number of times to over insure the packages from the workers themself. I go in and put 30 on an item and they go

" you might as well make it 50 bucks cause it cost you the same"

If it takes that long it takes that long.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']That is completely incorrect. There is a gray area where "collectibles" are concerned but the post office always leans towards themselves. If it is under $50 you can probably get away with showing the auction email as proof of value. This is only because it is entirely within the domain of the local office. They will NEVER give you over the value you got unless you somehow scam the supervisor or the Postmaster you deal with.

If it's over $50 it has to go to the claims center. There is no choice in this. The claims center has done a complete reversal in the past 5 years. They used to always pay out, now they almost never pay out. They also require more proof than an eBay auction or email. Emails and eBay auctions are officiall not recognized as proof by the post office, but like I said if it's below $50 they will likely accept them if you can convince them they are legit. I have discussed this very issue with the accountables clerk at my office who has to deal with these issues on a daily basis. Also he would have to file the claim because he is in possession of the item. He'd have to bring the item AND the packaging into the post office. You do not get to keep the item when collecting in insurance. You really get screwed when trying to collect on insurance with the USPS these days.

If a clerk has told you to insure an item for more than you sold it for he is very bad at his job.

But as for the actual issue don't give the guy a dime until you get the game back.[/QUOTE]

so after the claim is done the post office sends the broken game back to me? or the person who took it in

Either you or him can file the claim. It doesn't matter who. But if they pay out on the claim you aren't getting the game back. If the USPS pays an insurance claim the item becomes USPS property and is usually then tossed in the garbage in our office. I'm not sure what they do at the national claims center. So if he collects on the insurance you should not be paying him anything and if you collect he should get a refund. Just filing the claim though won't guarantee the PO will pay you or the amount they will pay you. If they refuse the claim they should give the item back to the office it was returned to and in turn to whoever filed the claim in the first place. It can also take 2-3 MONTHS before the claim is completely processed. Plus I think you have to wait 30 days from the original mailing date to even file a claim. Though that may be only for lost packages. That would make more sense. I'll have to ask the accountables clerk on that one. Postal insurance is loads of fun, no? ;)

[quote name='slidecage']so after the claim is done the post office sends the broken game back to me? or the person who took it in[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']Either you or him can file the claim. It doesn't matter who. But if they pay out on the claim you aren't getting the game back. If the USPS pays an insurance claim the item becomes USPS property and is usually then tossed in the garbage in our office. I'm not sure what they do at the national claims center. So if he collects on the insurance you should not be paying him anything and if you collect he should get a refund. Just filing the claim though won't guarantee the PO will pay you or the amount they will pay you. If they refuse the claim they should give the item back to the office it was returned to and in turn to whoever filed the claim in the first place. It can also take 2-3 MONTHS before the claim is completely processed. Plus I think you have to wait 30 days from the original mailing date to even file a claim. Though that may be only for lost packages. That would make more sense. I'll have to ask the accountables clerk on that one. Postal insurance is loads of fun, no? ;)[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info. its Very hard to get info here in the city. Not one post worker knows anything about claims (they said go downtown to the claims window - its like 50 miles from where i live and im not going to drive down their ever day if i got a question)

Last update since the claim seems to be overwith and its werid

I told the dude he had the package so he had to go down to the post office to start the claim. About 5 weeks later i get an email like this

i didnt have time to make it down to the post office. I found a disk only copy for 30 bucks so i just took your case and manual and i got a complete copy now .

I think the dude was trying to pull a scam cause who would pay over 100 bucks for a complete copy of FF7?

paid like 70 for mine then paid 30 for disc only. I think it was nothing more then a scam

bread's done
Back