Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive $20 after $80MIR @ Bestbuy instore

flizmo007

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
[quote name='SpottedNigel']If i didnt have things like Bills and a Vacation to pay for, i'd be all over this[/QUOTE]

Some people don't even have money for a vacation, so I guess it depends on your financial situation. :D

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Some people don't even have money for a vacation, so I guess it depends on your financial situation. :D[/QUOTE]

...who said i had MONEY for a vacation?

Stupidity
+
Credit
=
Disney World for 7 days.

I hope i fucking enjoy it :)

Holy crap. I might have to look for this. Are BB rebates reliable?

Oh! Also, does anyone know anything about putting an internal drive into a case of somesort (to make it an extra hard drive for my 40gig laptop)? What kind would I need and/or how much they generally cost? The information would be GREATLY appreciated.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']...who said i had MONEY for a vacation?

Stupidity
+
Credit
=
Disney World for 7 days.

I hope i fucking enjoy it :)[/QUOTE]

Don't go to Epcot. It is totally lame and nothing like I remembered it as a kid.

[quote name='SDC']Holy crap. I might have to look for this. Are BB rebates reliable?

Oh! Also, does anyone know anything about putting an internal drive into a case of somesort (to make it an extra hard drive for my 40gig laptop)? What kind would I need and/or how much they generally cost? The information would be GREATLY appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I am also looking into this so any info would be appriciated! I bought the HD today. Like many people I have heard about so far the barcode on the coupon didn't work so they had to manual take off $20.

Awsome deal, Im going to pick one up today... But please note this everyone:

$50 rebate: Expires On: 08/20/2005 Postmark By: 09/20/2005

$30 rebate: Expires On: 08/20/2005 Postmark By: 30 days after purchase

So its over in two days it seems? hurry up and grab this

I got my harddrive and my rebate.:D

Yeah, the bar code didn't work but all ended well. I just finished filling out the rebates. I'll install it by tomorrow, one of my better CAG finds so far.:cool:

Yeah got the last one from the store near me. Even the employees asked where i got the $20 off coupon. Good find!

Finnished the rebates and have the drive in. It wouldnt let me make the drive bigger than 137 gb though... ohh well thats big enough..

Thanks for this deal... And good luck to people finding drives...

That $20 off coupon also has an interesting $90 off on memory. Also doesnt say that you cant use it more than once. Might just try getting some free RAM.

[quote name='Lice']
Finnished the rebates and have the drive in. It wouldnt let me make the drive bigger than 137 gb though... ohh well thats big enough..
[/QUOTE]

You need to have XP with SP 1 I believe to be able to see more than the 42 partions (137GB+). I think there is ways to do it in other operating systems but I'm not sure.

I believe there is a bios limit on older PCs of around 130 some gigs of space.

Just like my Pentium 90 PC has a limit of 2 gigs
My Pentium Pro 200 PC has a limit of 8 gigs

There should be a software overlay driver to possibly fix that limitation. I know Western Digital used to have software with their drives for older PCs.

damn I cant believe I missed the in-store coupon, oh well, I already got my 50 buck rebate check, I bought the drive about a month ago

I have a computer question...

My computer has been restarting A LOT over the past 2 days. I reformatted my drive twice and it is still restarting. This can't be that new virus, since I reformatted right? Does this sound like a hard drive error, or a more internal problem? I have a 2.8 ghz comp with 1 gig ram. Has worked great for a year.

I'm asking because this hard drive is a good deal and if it sounds to be my problem, than I may go and buy this.

[quote name='tayaf69']I have a computer question...

My computer has been restarting A LOT over the past 2 days. I reformatted my drive twice and it is still restarting. This can't be that new virus, since I reformatted right? Does this sound like a hard drive error, or a more internal problem? I have a 2.8 ghz comp with 1 gig ram. Has worked great for a year.

I'm asking because this hard drive is a good deal and if it sounds to be my problem, than I may go and buy this.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound like a hard drive to me?. Is anything overheating? Lots of times I computer will automaticly restart when it reaches certain temperature.

[quote name='Looshi']That doesn't sound like a hard drive to me?. Is anything overheating? Lots of times I computer will automaticly restart when it reaches certain temperature.[/QUOTE]
It's not overclocked, but does the bios stay the same after reformatting? Maybe something is wrong there. I thought I knew everything about computers, but I guess I know nothing. Before reformatting, my computer (win xp) kept going to a blue screen with a lot of code on screen about an error. Now that it's reformatted, it just keeps restarting. WTF

[quote name='tayaf69']It's not overclocked, but does the bios stay the same after reformatting? Maybe something is wrong there. I thought I knew everything about computers, but I guess I know nothing. Before reformatting, my computer (win xp) kept going to a blue screen with a lot of code on screen about an error. Now that it's reformatted, it just keeps restarting. WTF[/QUOTE]

The BIOS is on hardware (the motherboard), so it dosen't get touched with reformating. What you're going through definately sounds like overheating. Try running your computer with the sides off and clean all of the fans out with some canned air. Also, get a program that'll let you monitor your CPU/mobo's temperature. If it's anything over 60C you might want to worry about there being problems (though there are a few processors that run over that normally, so you might want to do research on your specific one to see if it's abnormally hot).

Anyways, just scored on the last HD at the Montgomeryville, PA location. Heh, it looked like there was some other dude there looking for the same one, but he didn't think to check through all the other WD shelves to see if there was one accidentally misstocked. :D

[quote name='tayaf69']It's not overclocked, but does the bios stay the same after reformatting? Maybe something is wrong there. I thought I knew everything about computers, but I guess I know nothing. Before reformatting, my computer (win xp) kept going to a blue screen with a lot of code on screen about an error. Now that it's reformatted, it just keeps restarting. WTF[/QUOTE]

As well as overheating might also be your power supply. Make sure there arent any cables not loose and the such. Might also be your hard drive dieing as what your are describing is one of the symptons.

[quote name='dtarasev']That $20 off coupon also has an interesting $90 off on memory. Also doesnt say that you cant use it more than once. Might just try getting some free RAM.[/QUOTE]

Sold out near me, damn it!

Anyway, the $90 off memory is off memory AND installation - I don't know how much BB's installation runs, so that may not be as great a deal after all. Guess it depends on what type of memory you need. Retailers don't even carry my type, so I'm always S.O.L!

Last time i Checked the memory installation was something rediculous near $70 ... that was about 3 years ago when I checked, and that inspired me to learn how to install my own computer parts.

Yeah that limit on the HD space is retarted. My computer is not by any means old.... Its just a fun microsoft extra that was included free with my copy of windows! :)

Don't blame Microsoft for any problems your computer might have not recognizing the extra space on this drive.

Addressing modes

There are two modes of addressing the data blocks on more recent hard disks. The older mode is CHS addressing (Cylinder-Head-Sector), used on old ST-506 and ATA drives and internally by the PC BIOS. The more recent mode is the LBA (Logical Block Addressing), used by SCSI drives and newer ATA drives (ATA drives power up in CHS mode for historical reasons).

CHS describes the disk space in terms of its physical dimensions, data-wise; this is the traditional way of accessing a disk on IBM PC compatible hardware, and while it works well for floppies (for which it was originally designed) and small hard disks, it caused problems when disks started to exceed the design limits of the PC's CHS implementation. The traditional CHS limit was 1024 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors; on a drive with 512-byte sectors, this comes to 504 MiB (528 megabytes). The origin of the CHS limit lies in a combination of the limitations of IBM's BIOS interface (which allowed 1024 cylinders, 256 heads and 64 sectors; sectors were counted from 1, reducing that number to 63, giving an addressing limit of 8064 MiB or 7.8 GiB), and a hardware limitation of the AT's hard disk controller (which allowed up to 65536 cylinders and 256 sectors, but only 16 heads, putting its addressing limit at 2^28 bits or 128 GiB).

When drives larger than 504 MiB began to appear in the mid-1990s, many system BIOSes had problems communicating with them, requiring LBA BIOS upgrades or special driver software to work correctly. Even after the introduction of LBA, similar limitations reappeared several times over the following years: at 2.1, 4.2, 8.4, 32, and 128 GiB. The 2.1, 4.2 and 32 GiB limits are hard limits: fitting a drive larger than the limit results in a PC that refuses to boot, unless the drive includes special jumpers to make it appear as a smaller capacity. The 8.4 and 128 GiB limits are soft limits: the PC simply ignores the extra capacity and reports a drive of the maximum size it is able to communicate with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk#Other_characteristics

In their paper ad thingy I saw the exact same thing as the coupon except it was not a coupon and was a instore offer. Its wording was also different :
untitled2lz.png

So technically the coupon was most likely a missprint.

I did manage to get a drive though. I should have tried using several coupons at once to get the drive for -20 dollars.

It was sold out by the time I got there last night, but checking the site, they've got another offer.

Here

It's a $99.99 Western Digital 120 GB. As far as I know, that original $20 in-store coupon should work. Plus $60 MIR

$30 MIR
$30 MIR

So, that plus $60 MIR should still get you a good offer.

BTW, MIRs are valid between 8/21-8/27.

bread's done
Back