What am I doing wrong in my Wii selling?

To the OP: piss off. You're complaining that you're not making an even more exorbitant sum of money by depriving people who actually want a Wii of one.

To Myke; yeah, it takes two to tango, and I harbor ire for the people who decide a small hunk of plastic is worth a thousand dollars (read: PS2 launch and others like it), but I'd take their side in this one...people like the OP simply exacerbate the issue, and that's what really pisses me off.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh and Myke, who are the third and last wrestlers in that weird 'dancing'animation on your post? I recognize the rest and I'm thinking the one on the far right is Macho Man. Sorry, I KNOW the second one is Andre.[/quote]

Pretty sure the last one is Macho Man and the third is Hacksaw Jim Duggan. That game didn't have too many characters and they're all the same era.

The fact still stands ... if you want a Wii at retail cost ... wait in line until the store opens or when an online store has it in stock. People who buy them on Ebay are just to lazy to beat the resellers at there own game. After a while any amount of time waited doesn't make up for the profit they'ed make.

No ones forcing these people to buy these systems, there's no gun to their head. There were plenty of systems from March'ish to November'ish. If it was that important it should of been thought out before hand and maybe saved up the money before hand. If you could afford it now you could afford it then more then likely. It just required some time and effort balancing the checkbook differently.

There's no need to whine ... to complain about something that was so simply avoidable a month or so ago. Everyone knew there would be shortages at this time. It's freakin christmas, nothing other than that should of been expected. If it's such a big deal dishing out the extra cash ... maybe the mind set towards who gets what presents should be different. Everyone likes more then one gift ... more then one type of gift.

Again it's freakin christmas, expect a shortage in everything. Buy early spend less.

Sadly Strikeratt, most people don't understand the demand of certain products around this time. Wii's, DS' (again), etc. I don't mean to sound like a complete jerk, but I really don't feel sorry for anyone who waited this long, especially since I know many people have found out before when they were coming in stock at places and just decided it was not important enough to be there early (im talking when the store opened or even 1-2 hours after). Maybe working retail has made me extremely bitter since I deal with this everyday, but I think it is more the lack of common sense that "hot items" that barely stay in-stock during the normal time of the year are just magically supposed to stay in-stock at any given time of the day for these people. How about this, if you are looking for a Wii, Toys R' Us will have them this Sunday and should have some for the following (they are supposed to split the latest shipment for the next two Sundays). You are all welcome and good luck finding one now.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Bullshit have you shipped a 10 pound box lately? Priority is 20-25 depending on what options are on there.[/QUOTE]

Oops...sorry about that.
Yes, $20-$25 for priority and about $12-$15 for parcel.
Still a lot less to someone than being required to pay $40 for overnight.
I know it's faster, but I'd rather have the choice to save $15-$18 after already having to plunk down close to $400 for something.

It doesn't help... having a shit load of ass wipes buy multiple Wiis with the intention of price gouging as well as taking advantage of the shortage. :roll:

fuck you Nintendo but fuck you price gougers even more. It's fucking lame.

BTW, I'm not looking to get a Wii... although I have a sister that is.

I was at target and witnessed a 6 year old korean boy crying in the middle of the gaming section when his mom told him there werent any wiis for sale. Thats the kind of person who will end up on ebay buying a Wii for their child.

I am suprised no one mentioned that the two winnings bids on the higher auctions we're from 0 transaction buyers.

There's a good chance that it could be the orginal auction seller making fake accounts to bid against the buyers and drive the price of his own auction up.

Everyone that's e-mailed me from CL has been from a law firm or hospital. Honestly, I don't care if I'm taking their money. They have enough of it to spare. I want to make the most money possible off of this to pay my bills, get my own Wii with an extra set of a controller combo and maybe Galaxy, and then donate my GC and the rest of the profit somewhere. I'm weary about donating to a place like Savers or SalArmy though. I'd rather give it directly to a person.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']
Buying up Wiis purely to resell, then coming here and whining about it when you don't get the price you were hoping for on eBay? Boo fucking hoo; that makes you a douche.[/QUOTE]

welll said.... like gatsby mentioned..... reselling,people do it and yeah it can annoy people... i don't find it that bad. its nothing illegeal and if people are willing to pay then ohwell.

.... but then complaining that your reselling isn't getting you what you expected ?... that is pretty douchey

[quote name='xdl']If this thread is enough to put you off the deep end, you need to seek mental therapy.[/quote]

No, I've been "off the deep end" over Wii flippers for sometime now.

See other threads.

OR were you just trying to troll without doing research? Mmmm yes, you were. Grats.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I am suprised no one mentioned that the two winnings bids on the higher auctions we're from 0 transaction buyers.

There's a good chance that it could be the orginal auction seller making fake accounts to bid against the buyers and drive the price of his own auction up.[/quote]

Problem is- eBay doesn't care, at all.

I tracked 1 seller a month ago. Found out he had 2 stores set up. He was 1) profiting on shipping fees, roughly 200% a sale; 2) he admitted it in an email to me from his eBay store (meaning he wrote it ON eBay); 3) offered insurance, made buyers pay for insurance, but then gave us a Bond instead. I contacted the Bonding firm and discovered he was misusing the Bond. The Bonding firm contacted him and tried to correct it (they're still going around with it), and I let eBay know about all this- illegally charging for insurance knowing that it wasn't insurance, with over 250,000 sales....that's pure profit, and combined with shipping scam fees, easily over 1/2 a million dollars *this year alone* in "side" fees.

eBay's response: "Sorry, you need to resubmit this to the..." So I did. "sorry you need to resubmit to this...."

They really don't care.

Some of you on here really need to learn to read the OP's orginal post, instead of just scrolling down and reading all the dumb ass comments some people write. The guy was asking for help with his ebay auction listing, and was wondering why similiar auctions were selling for more than his was. No where in that post was the OP asking for sympathy or whinning. Nor did he say, "Please give me a speech on how my moral compass is out of whack, and I am responsible for the fall of western society." Unfortunately most of you one here are usually more worried about flaming people than helping them out, which really is a shame, because this used to be a place where you could have pretty good conversations about things, but lately its just turned into an xbox live esk cluster fuck, and most people are going to just stop asking questions because they don't want to sort through the random bullshit that people spew out of their mouths. Half of you that posted on here are so full of it, its not even funny. I never hear anyone bitching about someone buying a copy of Nocturne (or any rare game that is in demand for that matter) for XX.XX amount of dollars at a flea market or gamestop and flipping it on ebay for about the same amount of profit that the op made off his Wii. In fact it's usually, "Good Score Man! High Five!" So i guess those people are suppose to be rewarded for taking their time to shop at a flea market and look around for a deal that they can flip, but this guy is a douche bag for taking his time and waiting in line for a Wii? Why is that any different? By most of your reasoning the guy that shops at the flea market is a douche bag for flipping that game, because he should have left it for someone that really wanted to play the game to come and buy it. Or for that matter, lets just make every game that is ever made free and accessible for everyone whenever they want to have it, so no one can make a profit off anything and everyone has a happy good time. Seriously come off it.

To the op, I always try to end my auctions on sundays around the time frame of 7-10pm EST. I always have better luck when they end around that time. I figure because everybody is sitting around the computer on sunday watching tv and relaxing, so they are more likely to see an auction ending that day. Also as stated before, write NEW in the title, most people don't know acronyms like NIB, Hell people on here still have trouble with YMMV and B&M.

[quote name='hx214']Some of you on here really need to learn to read the OP's orginal post, instead of just scrolling down and reading all the dumb ass comments some people write. The guy was asking for help with his ebay auction listing, and was wondering why similiar auctions were selling for more than his was. No where in that post was the OP asking for sympathy or whinning. Nor did he say, "Please give me a speech on how my moral compass is out of whack, and I am responsible for the fall of western society." Unfortunately most of you one here are usually more worried about flaming people than helping them out, which really is a shame, because this used to be a place where you could have pretty good conversations about things, but lately its just turned into an xbox live esk cluster fuck, and most people are going to just stop asking questions because they don't want to sort through the random bullshit that people spew out of their mouths. Half of you that posted on here are so full of it, its not even funny. I never hear anyone bitching about someone buying a copy of Nocturne (or any rare game that is in demand for that matter) for XX.XX amount of dollars at a flea market or gamestop and flipping it on ebay for about the same amount of profit that the op made off his Wii. In fact it's usually, "Good Score Man! High Five!" So i guess those people are suppose to be rewarded for taking their time to shop at a flea market and look around for a deal that they can flip, but this guy is a douche bag for taking his time and waiting in line for a Wii? Why is that any different? By most of your reasoning the guy that shops at the flea market is a douche bag for flipping that game, because he should have left it for someone that really wanted to play the game to come and buy it. Or for that matter, lets just make every game that is ever made free and accessible for everyone whenever they want to have it, so no one can make a profit off anything and everyone has a happy good time. Seriously come off it.

To the op, I always try to end my auctions on sundays around the time frame of 7-10pm EST. I always have better luck when they end around that time. I figure because everybody is sitting around the computer on sunday watching tv and relaxing, so they are more likely to see an auction ending that day. Also as stated before, write NEW in the title, most people don't know acronyms like NIB, Hell people on here still have trouble with YMMV and B&M.[/quote]

Stole the words outa my mouth. I see some people that seem to try to destroy reps. and kick others down more then they are willing to help.

As for the last persons comment, I can second the sunday tip. Also ... start the auction low, it'll go up anyways

[quote name='meesterjojo']No, I've been "off the deep end" over Wii flippers for sometime now.

See other threads.

OR were you just trying to troll without doing research? Mmmm yes, you were. Grats.[/quote]
Glad you've found and outlet for expressing your disgust for these flippers. Why not come play some pigskin pickem? It'll soothe your nerves for sure.

||
||
||
V

Even though it costs 20 dollars I would recommend doing the featured plus thing for it and big name ticket that is currently really popular on ebay.

From watching bundles with wii play w/ the featured goes from 550 usually to 600... without is like about 500 or so. So that is worth it. I would ahve to assume it is worth it with just the plain Wii too.

I would also try to make the listing look more professional. I see you have tons of feedback but you have the big pics of mario, luigi, and the lakitu.

I would drop the 10 cents for an ebay border and the such, or make your own.

People want to feel like they are buying from a reputable store, not somebody who camped in front of TRU in a sleeping bag to get a few Wii's.

That's about all the advice I can give.

On a side note. I don't care if people try to resell the Wii. They aren't *that* hard to get anymore. I managed to get one right on Black Friday on Amazon. I just logged on my computer at 3 am, clicked add to cart and bam. They were up there for like 20-25 minutes too.

I think selling the Wii for extra is not as bad as the people who take advantage of folks at yard sales selling something they don't know is valuable. I've seen people talking about how they talked a person down from 6 to 4 bucks for a FF7 black label, etc. Or how they've snagged Suikoden1,2, Xenogears, FF7, etc. together fo 15 bucks. In my eyes that is worse. Of course I'm not saying I wouldn't buy up those games cheap, I just don't cast any stones at resellers.

[quote name='briansraregames']Glad you've found and outlet for expressing your disgust for these flippers. Why not come play some pigskin pickem? It'll soothe your nerves for sure.

||
||
||
V[/quote]
Actually, I'm not the only person flaming the OP, but thanks nonetheless:) hehe

And to the other idiot trying to garner compassion for the OP in his noble (haw) quest to find help for his scalper auction: fuck you. It's our right to trash him, and his abusive actions.

He's taking advantage of society, he's a piece of shit.

yea, your search does not come up under Wii .. you had a plus sign next to Wii ....... you need to space your words ... you are lucky at least some people found it

wow this thread is amazing.

i can understand if you are too lazy to do what it takes to get yourself a Wii in the current market, but don't blame those that are more ambitious than you are for your lazyness.

the lazy have two choices -- pay the stupid amount of money that the current market is demanding or stop being lazy and go out and do what it takes to get the system you want.

blaming ebay resellers is just stupid.

do you blame BestBuy who buys the systems at $220ish and sells for $250? No

do you blame Nintendo who makes the systems at $170ish and sells them for $220? No

Then why the hell blame the guy who buys them for $270 after taxes and then spends his own time & effort to make a meager profit from the sale to some lazy fool?

-----
Edit for OP -- some suggestions.

1. Your title needs to be fixed. These aren't ebay pro's buying your auction. They are moms & dads who don't know what the heck NIB means. Also get rid of those plus symbols. They don't help.
2. Your subtitle is incorrect. 135 day warranty? That's a hell of a lot shorter than Nintendo's 12 month warranty. Or 15 if you register the console.
3. Your shipping is also too high. Many folks don't like to pay high shipping. It's a weird ebay logic that they will pay more for an item that has lower shipping. I'd recommend having this shipped via UPS instead of the post office right now. Also, include insurance in your shipping cost and state this in your auction. Insurance on a high ticket item should not be optional.
4. Probably most important -- try listing it as a fixed price auction and name the price you want. Many folks will just buy it now and be done with it rather than waiting for an auction to end.

you guys need to lay off the OP. he's not taking the wii away from anyone who wants one. what he's doing is giving someone without the time to wait outside a store the oppurtunity to get a Wii by essentially hiring him to wait in line for them.

for some people.. the premium will be worth it for the service he's providing.. for others, it won't.

some here have said that people only need to wait in line because of people like the OP reselling? Not true at all.. if there weren't lines to begin with, the resale market wouldn't be able to sustain itself(see the PS3 last year as an example)

so before you go badmouthing the guy.. keep in mind that time is money, and he certainly put his time and effort into securing this merchandise.

[quote name='daminion']wow this thread is amazing.

i can understand if you are too lazy to do what it takes to get yourself a Wii in the current market, but don't blame those that are more ambitious than you are for your lazyness.

the lazy have two choices -- pay the stupid amount of money that the current market is demanding or stop being lazy and go out and do what it takes to get the system you want.

blaming ebay resellers is just stupid.

do you blame BestBuy who buys the systems at $220ish and sells for $250? No

do you blame Nintendo who makes the systems at $170ish and sells them for $220? No

Then why the hell blame the guy who buys them for $270 after taxes and then spends his own time & effort to make a meager profit from the sale to some lazy fool?[/quote]

Ya, we're lazy, all 9000 sold/day on Ebay is because of lazy people who just didn't like to stand outside at 4am to get an item which WOULD OTHERWISE BE IN STOCK if it weren't for scalpers.

That's what people like YOU don't seem to understand: We. Should. Not. Have. To. Do. That.

Scalpers are holding the entire market HOSTAGE. I mean, what do you not understand about that?

As for me- I've got 3 friends, and 1 relative in another state lined up for this sunday, early AM just to get 1 Wii.

just
for
Wii

How fucking retarded is that?

So yes, blaming eBay SCALPERS is completely legit- if they weren't doing it, the market wouldn't be held captive, the supply chain would be restored, and prices would be normalized.

9,000/day on eBay.

Get fucked.

[quote name='meesterjojo']We. Should. Not. Have. To. Do. That.[/quote]
I actually agree with you. However that is what the market is demanding of you.

It's really a simple matter of supply & demand. When demand is high and supply is low prices rise.

The good thing about the Wii is that it's an optional commodity. It's a luxury.

From the level of maturity presented in your post I'm sure you are far to young to remember the gas shortages of the 70s. That was not an optional commodity and that had a far greater effect on the overall community than the Wii is today.

Also I have to ask, if you wanted a Wii so bad why didn't you try to get one when they were actually available. You are a member of CAG afterall. It would have been a simple matter to snag a Wii not 2 months ago.

[quote name='hx214']Some of you on here really need to learn to read the OP's orginal post, instead of just scrolling down and reading all the dumb ass comments some people write. The guy was asking for help with his ebay auction listing, and was wondering why similiar auctions were selling for more than his was. No where in that post was the OP asking for sympathy or whinning. Nor did he say, "Please give me a speech on how my moral compass is out of whack, and I am responsible for the fall of western society." Unfortunately most of you one here are usually more worried about flaming people than helping them out, which really is a shame, because this used to be a place where you could have pretty good conversations about things, but lately its just turned into an xbox live esk cluster fuck, and most people are going to just stop asking questions because they don't want to sort through the random bullshit that people spew out of their mouths. Half of you that posted on here are so full of it, its not even funny. I never hear anyone bitching about someone buying a copy of Nocturne (or any rare game that is in demand for that matter) for XX.XX amount of dollars at a flea market or gamestop and flipping it on ebay for about the same amount of profit that the op made off his Wii. In fact it's usually, "Good Score Man! High Five!" So i guess those people are suppose to be rewarded for taking their time to shop at a flea market and look around for a deal that they can flip, but this guy is a douche bag for taking his time and waiting in line for a Wii? Why is that any different? By most of your reasoning the guy that shops at the flea market is a douche bag for flipping that game, because he should have left it for someone that really wanted to play the game to come and buy it. Or for that matter, lets just make every game that is ever made free and accessible for everyone whenever they want to have it, so no one can make a profit off anything and everyone has a happy good time. Seriously come off it.

To the op, I always try to end my auctions on sundays around the time frame of 7-10pm EST. I always have better luck when they end around that time. I figure because everybody is sitting around the computer on sunday watching tv and relaxing, so they are more likely to see an auction ending that day. Also as stated before, write NEW in the title, most people don't know acronyms like NIB, Hell people on here still have trouble with YMMV and B&M.[/quote]

:applause:
Amen.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Ya, we're lazy, all 9000 sold/day on Ebay is because of lazy people who just didn't like to stand outside at 4am to get an item which WOULD OTHERWISE BE IN STOCK if it weren't for scalpers.

That's what people like YOU don't seem to understand: We. Should. Not. Have. To. Do. That.

Scalpers are holding the entire market HOSTAGE. I mean, what do you not understand about that?

As for me- I've got 3 friends, and 1 relative in another state lined up for this sunday, early AM just to get 1 Wii.

just
for
Wii

So yes, blaming eBay SCALPERS is completely legit- if they weren't doing it, the market wouldn't be held captive, the supply chain would be restored, and prices would be normalized.

9,000/day on eBay.

Get fucked.[/quote]
your thinking is flawed, otherwise the ps3 would have been thriving on ebay for more than a week last year.

remember all the scalpers scrambling to return them to stores? without people willing to buy 100% of the available supply, resellers cannot turn a profit.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Ya, we're lazy, all 9000 sold/day on Ebay is because of lazy people who just didn't like to stand outside at 4am to get an item which WOULD OTHERWISE BE IN STOCK if it weren't for scalpers.

just
for
Wii

9,000/day on eBay.

Get fucked.[/QUOTE]

94675uAcy_w.jpg

-G

Just because you waited inline does not give you the right to deprive some kid of a Xmas gift for retail cost.

you belong with the rest of the scum who can't make a decent living and have to revert to scalping things. Heck, make it you and your father belong with them.

just
for
Wii

9,000/day on eBay.

Get fucked.[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot and probably about 13 years old, amirite? You're assuming that scalpers are the problem, but you have nothing to back it up, other than your own worthless, perspective-less opinion. People like you should be banned from the internet completely.

I have no problem with reselling during the holidays. If you start your auction (for whatever the item is) at .99 and it skyrockets to 500$ even though the product in the auction retails at $250 then the bidders are the ones doing the bidding and its obviously worth that much to them. If people are willing to pay 500$ for an item that retails for 250$ then more power to the resellers, its the buyers that bring this on themselves.

Honestly its partially the parents fault, in some cases they just want a Wii for their kids for Christmas for bragging rights, as in my kid is better than your kid because mine got a Wii and yours didn't. This type of entitlement is what drives sales up, parents make a much bigger deal out of it than what it is. I have actually seen this happen among my cousins friends with the Wii, their parents come to my cousins parents and like to imply that they are inferior because they don't have a Wii. Most kids can be easily distracted into another gift choice or can be told no without much hassle, especially if the neighbor's kid has a Wii that they can play, you know the Wii is best played in groups anyways!

It doesn't matter what the item is, whether its a game system, toy or just a hot product altogether, if its worth significantly more on ebay than what retail stores are charging for it, then its gonna be scalped, its just the way the market works. I watched a Hannah Montana lunchbag that was sold at walmart for $5-6 go for about 60 or 70$ during back to school season, its not just the Wii thats being scalped. If you wanted a Wii for Christmas should have bought one in the summer and hid it for your kids until then, be prepared people. Customers in the USA expect to go into a store on Christmas eve and expect every gift their kid wants to be in stock, ready on the shelves for buying, thats not the way it works people!

Want a Wii at cost? Don't blame the people putting them on auction: they didn't tell people what they had to pay. It's the end consumer driving up the cost.

It's not always about supply and demand, it's about convienence. Most people don't want to wait in line or get to a store five hours early just to get a Wii. Once THESE people stop buying, then you'll start seeing more in-store.

If I walk into a store in the middle of the day and see a Wii, you can be damned sure I'm going to buy it.

CAG is an orchard of sour grapes.

My only advice for increasing your auction total is to end it on a sunday night around 9 PM or 10 PM since most people are not busy and they just went to Target or Best Buy (because they saw the ads) and came home empty handed.

Also include a nice picture and a receipt whenever possible.

[quote name='willardhaven']CAG is an orchard of sour grapes.

My only advice for increasing your auction total is to end it on a sunday night around 9 PM or 10 PM since most people are not busy and they just went to Target or Best Buy (because they saw the ads) and came home empty handed.

Also include a nice picture and a receipt whenever possible.[/quote]
Hehe the sour grapes comment is GOLD. I love it.

I also agree with the Sunday ending time if you can swing it. I'm on the west coast so usually like it to finish around 4-5pm PST (7-8pm EST). I think that covers the period when the most people across the country are likely to be online. Any later and the east coast starts going to bed. Earlier and the west coast is still watching football.

[quote name='Ziv']Or you could just quit being a douche an let someone who really wants a Wii buy one. People have a hard enough time finding one without people like you trying to make a quick buck. [/QUOTE]

Maybe if those people would get up at 4am and wait in line outside in the cold for 3 hours they would have one instead of complaining about not having one.

[quote name='Apossum']You're an idiot and probably about 13 years old, amirite? You're assuming that scalpers are the problem, but you have nothing to back it up, other than your own worthless, perspective-less opinion. People like you should be banned from the internet completely.[/quote]

Surely, I'm 13...+20.

regardless, you're arguing with a 13 year old- grats dude: you win the intarwebs.

Further- check out eBay Wii console listings on any given day. I mean, ebay isn't a secret organization with hidden numbers. Anyone can check it out.

What's half of 18,000? You can also sort by "ending soonest", and other things which might help you get some solid numbers.

Have fun proving me wrong.

Yes, scalpers are a major problem, and I think I've covered the bases: They hold the supply hostage by purchasing as many available consoles as possible. By limiting supply, making it exclusive, you also inadvertantly create a deman for an item. This has been proven historically from everything from alcohol, to gasoline, to TV's, even popular fiction novels of all things.

Anything else?

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Maybe if those people would get up at 4am and wait in line outside in the cold for 3 hours they would have one instead of complaining about not having one.[/quote]

...or they shouldn't/wouldn't have to if ~9000 consoles a day were in stores in the U.S.

Just a, you know, "thought".

and make sure you report your earnings to the IRS. you were nice enough to post your ebay ID up here so we can do it for you if you want.

Joey and Jojo... I really don't think it's in good taste to call people names and start flamewars within your first few weeks on CAG.

I usually enjoy a good argument, but come on, you guys just joined, have some class.

Wiis were plentiful for most of the fall, up until at least October, there really is no excuse not to have one by now (if you want one). The money excuse is insane, if you just this month earned enough to buy a Wii, rethink your purchase.

This has nothing to do with the OP, but I am tired of people being harassed for buying an extra Wii to eat the cost of their own. Buying 10 Wiis at once is something to get mad about, but stores do not allow that.

[quote name='willardhaven']Joey and Jojo... I really don't think it's in good taste to call people names and start flamewars within your first few weeks on CAG.

I usually enjoy a good argument, but come on, you guys just joined, have some class.

Wiis were plentiful for most of the fall, up until at least October, there really is no excuse not to have one by now (if you want one). The money excuse is insane, if you just this month earned enough to buy a Wii, rethink your purchase.

This has nothing to do with the OP, but I am tired of people being harassed for buying an extra Wii to eat the cost of their own. Buying 10 Wiis at once is something to get mad about, but stores do not allow that.[/quote]

I won't go calling names. That is understandable. Point of the matter is that he forwardly came up here and said he and his father bought wiis for resale. That is the whole point. Fine, credit giving for being honest, but he says he got them to make a profit. you know what, let someone buy them that actually wants them, not so they can make a profit. We all work to pay bills and buy what we want. Don't take the easy road...because in the end it will catch up with you. And yes, the IRS does have the right to count your income from ebay sales...so add that $200 or so that you made as income.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Surely, I'm 13...+20.

regardless, you're arguing with a 13 year old- grats dude: you win the intarwebs.

Further- check out eBay Wii console listings on any given day. I mean, ebay isn't a secret organization with hidden numbers. Anyone can check it out.

What's half of 18,000? You can also sort by "ending soonest", and other things which might help you get some solid numbers.

Yes, scalpers are a major problem, and I think I've covered the bases: They hold the supply hostage by purchasing as many available consoles as possible. By limiting supply, making it exclusive, you also inadvertantly create a deman for an item. This has been proven historically from everything from alcohol, to gasoline, to TV's, even popular fiction novels of all things.

Anything else?[/QUOTE]

Look, you may be 33 (oh lookie, I can addz), but you clearly don't have much experience with a mixed capitalistic economy. How can you blame someone in this country for trying to make money? It's what we do. Some people even make jobs of buying and reselling on eBay. When I go to a store and see someone walking out with ten of the one item I wanted to buy, sure, I get pissed. But the only reason they are doing it is because there's money to be made. AKA, people are willing to buy things that they perceive to be a deal, or rare.

The Wii isn't rare, people. As evidenced by your impressive counting abilities on eBay. Other people are absolutely right: they were nearly everywhere between June and October. I went one morning to TRU when they had it listed in the ad, and I was the only person there. Later that day, when I had to return something, the stack of Wiis was still there. There has been plenty of opportunity to buy a Wii for 99% of America up to this point.

If you're a parent doing their best to get their child the ONE thing they want this Christmas (or Hannukah), then more power to you. You'll be the guy standing in line at 4AM, or paying $500 on eBay. I'll give you credit when you're trying to make someone happy, but hopefully not spoiling them. I know I'll be at some Godforsaken store on a Black Friday in a couple of years buying the hottest new doll that my girls want. And that's ok. I understand that in order to reward my children for their good deeds and behavior, sometimes the Red Santa has to rely less on the elves and more on knowing when the Brown Santa arrives in his truck to TRU.

If you want it at retail, but you don't want to do the legwork, then that's just too damn bad right now. There's profit to be made, and people are going to try and make it. Once the profit goes away, then you can be lazy and get stuff cheap again.

Those prices on eBay are going for about $200 gross profit. You can choose to pay this convienence fee, or you can do the legwork yourself until demand drops. It's a choice. You aren't forced or entitled to anything. Click a couple buttons on a computer or stand in line. It's not as if this is a new concept.

Always remember the market guides the resellers, not the other way around.

this is getting out of hand. all the guy wanted was some advice, not a therapy session. wait, im gonna get flamed for this arent it? seems like every post in this thread gets flamed.

if people wants to buy things for profit, let them be. its their choice. but like with every business, theres mistakes to be made. hey, were only human. you spend money, to make money.

alot of people do this on cag and they do this by buying shitloads of games, and not just 1 or 2, sometimes 4 or 5. heck im guilty of a thing or two.

so say you do yard saleing.. you see a ton of games for cheap.. so what do you do? you buy them all. doesn't that qualify as hoarding? but yet nobody ever stops you from doing it.. yes, i understand that yard saler only does it for the weekends and most likely there wont be anyone that will pick it up, maybe except you. same thing goes to games that are $3 or $5 each. you see a couple or more, you buy them all. i know most people do since hey they were cheap. sell 1 and you made even more money that you spent to buy the copies. a perfect example of this is Okami from CC's recent markdown. look for it new on ebay and youll see alot of people selling it. some even sell it with the sticker still intact from CC.

and about the whole "give it to someone that will use the wii" bs. if they want to play with one, then they should line up for one. you cant blame society from taking advantage of the shortages. they've been doing this with toys every year. demand = money. but in this case for the Wii, is it really a shortage or more of a controlled inventory?

ya know, if i was in the market for a wii, and if the mom and pop store up the street from me didnt have it in stock, then i would totally pay the $300 or whatever is the going rate on ebay. For one thing, if i buy one at retail, there is about $20 of tax, so $270 if i buy it in store, and why on earth would i wake up an hour early in the cold, if i make $12 an hour, and i am spending 4 hours in line, or even 2 hours, it is worth it to bite the bullet and pay the $300 on ebay.

Just my 2 cents. I really dont understand why people are waiting in line for a few hours early to get a wii to sell on ebay. you would make more money working at mcdonalds and at least you would be indoors. but hey, buy all means keep going.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Surely, I'm 13...+20.

Anything else?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

please. you'll have to do all the math before I listen to your argument. As of right now, you've got "raving lunatic" status on lock. Find out how many wiis are being sold on ebay and craigslist a month and find out how many Nintendo ships to the U.S. before you get any delusions about scalpers stealing all the Wiis. Rather, a majority of Wiis.

You don't even take into account that Ebay is an auction site. Do I have to define the word "auction" for you? Hint: it does not involve the "scalper" setting the price and it also doesn't involve the scalper going to the bidder's house, sticking a gun in his mouth, and telling him to pay X amount.

Other concepts to look up:
--Holiday shopping season
--Supply
--Demand
--Capitalism
--Hype

Having done that, I hope you can see how scalpers aren't a problem as much as they are a product/symptom of a capitalist society. They act in the same way all the businesses you buy things from act. Yes, that does excuse them, unless you like double standards.

The real problem here is nintendo....they should be selling their items at market demand, not what their retail price is. This would clean up the high resell market and put more items on shelves for people who really want it, as well as put more profit in their hands.

I agree that Nintendo should raise the price, but if they did that, they risk turning off a HUGE number of people, and making themselves look like a bad company only in it for the profit. Imagine the backlash if nintendo suddenly raised the price across the board to 350$ for a Wii to match the demand on ebay. A company cannot just raise prices for the holiday season, if they do that it will affect their sales!

They really should have set the price higher when the Wii first released however if they did that, then they also risked having no one buy their console and another failure console. Remember they didn't know what demand would be like when they first started selling the console, and everywone was laughing at it. Its a no-win situation.

Nintendo just doesn't understand that in America, Americans ONLY buy video games for christmas, very few games and consoles are sold throughout the year otherwise, at least in the part of the USA that I live in. Nintendo should know that they need to ship huge amounts of Wii's to America for this reason. I shop for games during the holiday season and the retailers have been telling me that oh, we don't sell many video games throughout the year, but now, OMG we are selling all our games!

I also feel video games are more popular than ever with everyone and the customers are cleaning out video game departments in stores and leaving the toy dept's mostly full, other than electronic toys of course. Go to a store on christmas eve and try to find game x in stock, you won't, and you will likely find empty shelves.

[quote name='joey0480']Just because you waited inline does not give you the right to deprive some kid of a Xmas gift for retail cost.

you belong with the rest of the scum who can't make a decent living and have to revert to scalping things. Heck, make it you and your father belong with them.[/QUOTE]

Is this even for real? Deprive some kid....what, the only think little snot-nosed Johnny can have is a Wii, or his Chwismass is wuined. Give me a fucking break.

These were all over the place in October and November. If your precious little baby had to have one, then daddy waddy needed to wake up and buy it way back then.

Many people make a fine living, but are smart enough or clever enough to understand how to turn a hobby into a nice little extra money.

bread's done
Back