What are some Good NES/SNES games?

Makaveli_The_Don

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I just got a NES/SNES combo thingy.

And I was wondering what are some of the better games?

Besides for

Super Mario World
Mario All-Stars
Contra III
Zelda games

What else?

I've never owned a SNES, so I have no clue on whats good and whats not.

I had a NES back in the day, but once I got a Genesis I never played it no more.

The SNES Star Wars games spring to mind. They're a bit like Contra in that they're side scrolling run n' gun games but with different characters and some very impressive (for the time) graphics and sound. Plus they have flying and/or driving levels spread throughout incase you get sick of shooting stormtroopers. From what I remember, I liked Super Empire Strikes Back the most but they were all pretty fun.

Top of my head list:

NES
Contra
River City Ransom
Super Dodge Ball
Crystalis
The Battle of Olympus
The Guardian Legend
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
ExciteBike
Castlevania
Castlevania III (won't play on your combo console, though)
Mega Man 2
Ninja Gaiden
Ninaj Gaiden II
Ninja Gaiden III
Maniac Mansion

SNES
ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Super Turrican
Super Street Fighter II
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Super Tecmo Bowl
Lost Vikings
Out of this World
Flashback
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi

CV3 used some custom chips inside the cartridge for better sound and/or graphics. At the moment I can't remember the name of the chips. Anyhow, I guess the new SNES/NES clones can't run those chips. I think it affects Megaman 6 as well but I'd check out wikipedia or something to be sure.

One of my favorite NES games is Duck Hunt, a pixellated waterfowl murder simulator. :lol:

On the SNES side, I'd go the emulation route if I were you.

BJ

On my snes I've been playing some Pilotwings, Magic Sword and Ghoul Patrol. I would easily suggest picking up any of those for you collection.

On my nes, I haven't played much lately but I've always enjoyed dusty diamond's allstar softball.

Great SNES games not yet mentioned:

Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Lufia 1+2
Super R-Type
Gradius 3
Aero Fighters
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
Demon's Crest
E.V.O.
F-Zero
Soulblazer
Illusion of Gaia
King Arthur's World
Turtles IV
Tetris Attack

Lufia II : Rise of the Sinistrals
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Dragonball Z : Hyper Dimension
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
Super Mario RPG
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat II
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Super Bomberman
Super Punchout
WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game

[quote name='BJWanlund']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_3

Sorry for double-posting, but you can see why CV3 does not work on most Famiclones. Has anyone tried Akamajou Dracula 3 yet?

BJ[/QUOTE]

I think that would be the same story. From what I remember (and have seen/heard) the Japanese version of CV3 is even more advanced than the US version. They got some incredible music for an NES/Famicom game.

I don't generally encourage emulation but at least once everyone should track down the JP version of CV3 and find an emulator that can handle it, it's very impressive.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']How do you know CastleVania 3 will not play on the NES/SNES combo?

&

Why will it not play?[/quote]If the combo in question is the FC Twin, I know because I have one and I know Castlevania III won't play on it. Castlevania III has a special mapper chip that isn't supported by NOAC (NES On A Chip).

I just skimmed through this post really quick, but from what i can see i think all of you missed one of the best games for SNES and that would be Yoshi's Island!

There are TONS.

Out of all of them - not considering which ones hold a special place in my heart -
I'd try these three:
Smash TV NES (Dual Controllers!)
Contra 3 SNES
Super Metroid

My favorite NES game... my favorite non-Tetris game ever... is Startropics for the NES. It's fantastic.

747. Remember that number. It will be helpful after Chapter 4.

Hey! What's this NES/SNES system? Where can I get one?

My NES still works great, but my SNES doesn't work. I'd be great to connect one system and play both gen.

By the way, get Battletoads (NES). It's riculously difficult, but looks amazing for the NES, and still a lot of fun.

I got alot of SNES games in my TL if you wanna take a look. I have some great games like Rock n' Roll Racing, UN Squardan & Kirby Superstar. Also a few imports.

I'll also recomend Secret of Mana. While it'll cost you around $30 - $40 (depending on the condition) it's my all time favorite SNES game. No other game in the series has even come close to it's greatness.

If your not into SNES/NES games I suggest trying to look for devices that allow you to play roms and emulators instead of spending miles of cash to play something that is not your cup of tea.

Think of the SNES as a Papa PSX instead of the NES Jr. and think of any title that comes to mind when you think of N64/PSX and you will find what you are looking for.

I have to agree with the emulation suggestion. Since NES/SNES games can be very pricey, you should try before you buy. But be sure to buy them if you like 'em - nothing beats playing the real thing.

Anyway, some suggestions:

NES:
Mega Man 1-6, with particular attention to 2.
RBI Baseball 3. Seriously.
Batman and Batman: Return of the Joker
Kirby's Adventure

SNES:
Super Metroid. Best. Game. Ever.
Yoshi's Island. Best. Platformer. Ever.
Earthbound (and then buy it on VC when it is released so we can get Mother 3 localized)
Tetris Attack
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Star Fox
Top Gear
Umihara Kawase (Import)
Yoshi's Cookie
Super Mario RPG
Mechwarrior (the 1st person one, not the overhead one)
Donkey Kong Country 1-3, with particular attention to 2.
Animaniacs
Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
Alien 3
Axelay
Chrono Trigger
Batman & Robin
Mega Man X 1-3, Mega Man 7
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Jurassic Park 1 & 2 (completely different games, #1 was a hybrid overhead action/FPS, #2 was a sidescroller a la Contra)
Final Fantasy III
Judge Dread. Seriously.
Mario Paint. You'd have to find the SNES mouse, though.
Mickey Mania. See David Jaffe's work before he became a famous(ly annoying) developer.
Super Bomberman 1-5 (the last few were JP-only)
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-out
Uniracers
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

Ok there are still a few games I wanna get but heres what I have gotten so far:

NES:

Mario/Duck Hunt
Kirby's Adventure
Adventure Island
CastleVania
CastleVania II
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II
The Simpsons: Bart vs Space Mutants

SNES:

Super GameBoy
Donkey Kong Country
DKC2
DKC3
Legend of Mystical Ninja
Joe & Mac
Contra III
EarthWorm Jim 2
Mega Man X
Super Bomberman 2
World Cup USA 94
Super Mario All Stars
The Magical Quest - Mickey Mouse
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Breath of Fire II
Super Metroid
Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage
Great Circus Mystery
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Illusions of Gaia
BattleToads
Final Fantasy: MQ
Zelda: Link to the Past
Super CastleVania 4

Also But Have not came in the mail yet....

Harvest Moon
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore

Even though I have a lot of games and it will last me awhile at the rate I play.

I'm still looking for more games.

If you got NES-SNES games in your tradelist- Hit Me Up with a link.

bread's done
Back