What are some stores you remember as a kid that no longer exist or might as well?

HumanSnatcher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
One that I remember is Zares. I remember I bought my NES MAX pad there as a kid. That and begging my parents for quarters to play the Double Dragon arcade game.

Another one that is just barely breathing is Roses. Theres only two left in my area; and they seem to make Kmart look like a classy ghetto Walmart...

Toys R Us- This place is almost empty every time I go in
KB Toys- Closed awhile ago...pretty sad, but what can you expect when they charge more than any other store...

Those two remind me of two other places: Childrens Palace and the Toy Castle. I remember I bought the original TMNT board game at Childrens Palace back in like 89. Now that exact spot is a CompUSA and has been since about 91 or so

Woolworth (A kmart clone - mentioned in the George Clooney movie O' Brother where art thou?)
Lawsons - A 7/11 clone

Dude I remember Montgomery Wards. They were kinda cool. I remember my siblings used to call them Monkey Wards lol

I don't remember Woolworths. I do remember Goody's. Only one I know of now is located about an hour from me in Elizabeth City, NC

The OLD Toys R Us
What do I mean by this? Back when most TRU stores didn't have this completely asstacular "waste floor space" setup that takes longer to walk around and longer to find things. How about when TRU had stock of plenty of almost all of the great toys available as well as plenty of great exclusives? Whatever happened to the TRU that had plenty of excellent RC vehicles, an entire wall of unique board games, and a video game section that, while being a pain in the ass to find actual stock in the special pick-up area up front, wat literally two or three aisles of nothing but gaming goodness with excellent kiosks that demoed some of the best games currently on the market? Oh, yeah, it died. I'm still upset ALONE by the severe lack of awesome Lego sets nowadays in there. That's just blasphemy.

Captron
As far as I know only a local kiosk video game store, back before kiosks became THE thing in most Simon malls and beyond. Why were they important? They carried the games that EB and TRU just didn't have back then, and they had more game stations where you can try at least a dozen different titles than any other store that has come since. Try 12 different hot NES games of their time with a lineup that changes every day? Play the Genesis and the SNES a week before their launches AND with several of the launch titles? Now that was sexy.

Planet Comics
Smithhaven Mall was its only location but damn, it was amazing. Plenty of comics, some indie comics as well, a handful of manga and anime (back before it was ever NEAR a boom in the US), tons of video games and even a handful of imports in the way of systems, games, and accessories. Considering this was the mid-90's, it was sickening. There was nothing like playing an import Saturn right when it came out. Too bad it ended up being acquired by GameStop and turned into absolute shit. Ever since it has lost ~everything~ that made it unique. It's nothing more than, sadly, a run-down GS now with some extra CCGs behind the counter. An absolute waste.

A&S
Thank you, Federated, for fucking over a good department store.

Sterns

L.S. Ayres

Macy*s
Thank you, Federated, for REALLY fucking over a good department store. Hmmm...I think I sense a pattern. How many department stores does Federated have to buy before people start worrying about a possible monopoly? There are still a handful left but I thought someone might at least turn their heads when they wanted to, you know, buy the whole Robertson May chain and all of those affiliated stores (Lord and Taylor, etc.).

[quote name='Kapwanil']The OLD Toys R Us
What do I mean by this? Back when most TRU stores didn't have this completely asstacular "waste floor space" setup that takes longer to walk around and longer to find things. How about when TRU had stock of plenty of almost all of the great toys available as well as plenty of great exclusives? Whatever happened to the TRU that had plenty of excellent RC vehicles, an entire wall of unique board games, and a video game section that, while being a pain in the ass to find actual stock in the special pick-up area up front, wat literally two or three aisles of nothing but gaming goodness with excellent kiosks that demoed some of the best games currently on the market? Oh, yeah, it died. I'm still upset ALONE by the severe lack of awesome Lego sets nowadays in there. That's just blasphemy.[/quote]

Dude, you've no idea how much I miss the old TRU layout!

Do we really want the old tru layout, or do we just miss it because we grew up with it? I really miss the ticket system, but I think it's more nostalgia than anything.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Do we really want the old tru layout, or do we just miss it because we grew up with it? I really miss the ticket system, but I think it's more nostalgia than anything.[/quote]

I think its a little of both. I still remember when all the systems were behind glass cases. That and my parents paid 400 bucks for my Saturn there when it came out.

Wow.. I'll just rifle em off as I think of them:

Zayre
Richway (pre-Target)
Captron
Lionel Playworld (the only real major competitor to TRU back in the 80's)

Just asked a friend and he reminded me of Ames, Hills, HQ, and Ben Franklins (only one I know of left is in Nags Head)

My partner just said he remembers Harmoney Hut, which was a record store

Also, does anyone remember Best Product?

bradlees, lechmere and caldors.

I remember buying a cdi on clearance at lechmere. It was either missing parts or broken (can't remember). I returned it but never did get another one.

Funcoland
Think of Gamestop/EB Games before they got big. Plus, they had these tremendously awesome fliers that listed every single video game on the market, it's price and the trade-in price. That alone makes Funcoland a thousand times better than anything today.

And the trade-in prices were pretty reasonable. I remember my brother and I trading in a couple used systems and games and being able to buy an all new system with a bunch of peripherals and a few games and not having to pay anything out of pocket.

Sadly, Gamestop bought them out and have made them all crap.

Babbages
Babbages was bought out by EB a few years ago, and I remember it being pretty good. Not as good as Funcoland, but better than what we have in EB and Gamestop today.

JR's Video
When I was a kid, we rented movies and games like they were drugs. We were actually the number one renters at JR's Video. They were one of the first stores around to go to the 5 Movies, 5 Days, 5 Dollars deals. Also, the owner of the store would actually ask me and my brother what kinds of games were good and would sell well (We were like 7 to 9 years old) and we'd tell him the games that we liked to play. Sure enough, he'd have all the games we told him about a few weeks later. That was such a kickass movie store.

And the trade-in prices were pretty reasonable. I remember my brother and I trading in a couple used systems and games and being able to buy an all new system with a bunch of peripherals and a few games and not having to pay anything out of pocket.

I remember the clerks at funcoland in the burlington, ma store telling me never to trade to them since the prices sucked. I remember one guy in particular who was always there and often held newly traded in games for me that he thought I'd like. He also sold me the last copy of mario rpg they had when it was released, even though it was a preorder for someone else.

I don't really recall JR Video. But I remember renting games for my NES like a crack fiend when I was a kid at Phar-Mor. Though my parents would only let me rent them on the weekends. But damn if I didn't play them to death. Come to think of it, I remember 2 of the 3 of the very first games I ever rented, which were the Adventures of Lolo 1 and Top Gun. Can't remember the other one.

I remeber getting a catalog from Funcoland where I ordered several Saturn games from. I loved getting that catalog in the mail, then all of a sudden I got nothing. Years later I find out that shitastic gamestop bought them out.

Funcoland was da shiznit. They opened a store near me like a year before it became GS. Only thing I use GS for now is a somewhat reference on what a game sells used for which isn't saying much...

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Funcoland
Think of Gamestop/EB Games before they got big. Plus, they had these tremendously awesome fliers that listed every single video game on the market, it's price and the trade-in price. That alone makes Funcoland a thousand times better than anything today. [/QUOTE]

God I miss Funcoland I miss that damned flyer.
I loved that place I got my Dreamcast a few months before sega announced the end. I could go to Funcoland in the mall for 2 years after DC death and get brand new DC games. As where other places stopped carrying DC games 3 months after its death.

I think though for me I miss Children's palace the most it was in walking distance of my house. I had great memories of that place. I got my NES, and many games from their. We didn't have a lot of money when I was little. If I bought a handheld LCD game and got tired of it my mom would open it and cut a wire inside of it. I would then get to exchange it for another one. But yea when your young and have no money in the ghetto their is no right and wrong.

Finally, someone other than me that remembers Childrens Palace! And I agree with what you said about living in or near the ghetto. Only thing keeping the area I live in from becoming straight up ghetto is that its the historic district (which isn't saying that damn much) of my city...

[quote name='Graystone']God I miss Funcoland I miss that damned flyer.
I loved that place I got my Dreamcast a few months before sega announced the end. I could go to Funcoland in the mall for 2 years after DC death and get brand new DC games. As where other places stopped carrying DC games 3 months after its death.

I think though for me I miss Children's palace the most it was in walking distance of my house. I had great memories of that place. I got my NES, and many games from their. We didn't have a lot of money when I was little. If I bought a handheld LCD game and got tired of it my mom would open it and cut a wire inside of it. I would then get to exchange it for another one. But yea when your young and have no money in the ghetto their is no right and wrong.[/QUOTE]

I remember my parents would have me and my brother circle games that we wanted for Christmas off the Funcoland flier. God, that was one of the most exciting times of the year.

Also, while moving, I found my original Funcoland Dreamcast receipt dated sometime mid-October 1999. I bought the Dreamcast, Zombie Revenge, a VMU and an extra controller. I wonder if Gamestop will refund me my $200 since my Dreamcast broke.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Do we really want the old tru layout, or do we just miss it because we grew up with it? I really miss the ticket system, but I think it's more nostalgia than anything.[/quote]

A little from Column A and a little from Column B. On one hand, the layout was far better than the ones I've visited as of late. The way in which they rearranged the stores leave entire areas of floorspace devoid of anything or, even worse, all of the cleaning supplies and broken down boxes. It makes it look completely run-down when it's anything but. Also, most of their aisles tend to make it difficult to actually get to products or have any foot traffic, which seems a bit odd.

But I won't miss the ticket system, for the most part. When it worked, it really worked. There were even times where TRU would go out of the way, do rain checks, place holds on items...you know, great quality service in spite of a system that was a bit "out there". But, of course, for all of those times where service was excellent there were times where clerks would glance at a wall, say there were no more tickets, and wouldn't bother to check if a game was in. But you take the good with the bad.

The first place I thought of when I read this topic was Children's Palace. They had a Panda Bear for a mascot, I think. I remember going there to buy Super Mario Bros. 3 on the day it came out with my mom when I was like 10. We had to take a number and wait for them to call our number out. We bought my copy, left, then went back in to buy one for my neighbor.

I don't remember much about the place except buying Super Mario Bros 3. there, but now I think it's either a CompUSA or a Bed, Bath and Beyond. I can't remember, the shopping center was huge and I know both of those stores are in it now.

And Funcoland was in that shopping center eventually too. I bought a loooooooot of games there, lol. Mostly SNES and NES games when I was in junior high.

Yeah we had a babbages up to a year or two ago and I wouldn't swear its not still there. I remember the old TG&Y I had many a GI Joe bought there for me when I was a wee kid.

Great topic. I get really nostalgic with ones like this.

BEST
BEST was a poor man's department store. It was along the lines of Target/K-Mart/Wal-mart but wasn't quite as big. I loved this place. They had all of their toy inventory in this HUGE wharehouse. It was such an exciting experience going in that place. I have some very vague memories of drooling over the video gmaes they had on display. I remember seeing a lot of unique things at this store that I hadn't seen anywhere else.

KB Toys
The prices at this place sucked but it was always a fun place to go to. I remember bright, vived colors. I remember outrageous prices on games. Very cool store.

A handful of rental stores from my childhood town
There weren't chains, but there were probably 4 different rentral stores I visited at least once a month as a kid. All of them are gone now. They've been replaced by Blockbuster and Hollywood video.

Any time I think about these stores it makes me want to go back in time. I just wonder what it would be like to go back and re-visit the town of my outh... it would be insane seeing all of these old stores agian.

Kiddie City - I used to get all my Star Wars figures there. Rival with Toys R Us.

Clover - Bought my original NES there. Department store.

EBGames.com - The Morning update...:cry:

Consumers - Was a catalog store. You had to fill out an order slip, and bring it to the back, at which time a picker would get them for you. I bought TONS of NES games on the cheap! They had everything from gym equipment to cooking utensils.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']A Sears that sold toys.

Zaires

Ames[/quote]

Remember the Sears Christmas Catalog?!? I remember my parents getting it in like August. It was over 1000 pages, and about 400 of them were toys set up in different arrays. The video games totaled in the 100's. I drooled over it for months...only to be disappointed come Christmas. Damn you, Santa!!!

Dead Chains:

Montgomery Ward - My mom bought my first Nintendo there, which made me a gamer to this day. I also remember buying gym shorts there for high school and some other school clothes.

Newberry's - Diecast cars were my favorite toys as a kid, and they always had cool Majorette models other stores didn't have, and they were a good source for Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars too.

Dead Malls:

Eastport Plaza - Someday I'll have to write something on Eastport Plaza for deadmalls.com, as I've lived pretty close to it since 1993 and have quite a bit to share about the mall's last years and it's conversion to a strip center. The small one-level mall had four anchors (local sporting goods chain G.I. Joe's, Mervyn's, J.C. Penney, and Newberry's), but when the decision was made to demolish the mall in the late 90's (it was demolished in 1997 or 1998, I can't remember), G.I. Joe's was the only anchor left, and competition from Clackamas Town Center, Lloyd Center, and Mall 205 had just about killed it (Mall 205 almost got killed along with it, but that's another story). Today, the strip center has a Wal-Mart, Albertsons, a 16 screen Century Theatres complex, and GameStop, among others. It was sad to see the mall go, but the writing was on the wall.

Fast food chains that left Portland:

Hot N' Now - Midwestern fast food chain that Pepsi bought in the 90's and expanded nationally. Restraunts were built all over Portland, and with 39 cent burgers, fries, and sodas, Hot N' Now was usually the place my parents would buy dinner at if they couldn't cook for some reason. Shortly after expansion, Pepsi sold the chain, and according to Wikipedia, Hot N' Now surprisingly still exists with a few restraunts in Michigan and Wisconsin. In Portland, most former Hot N' Now locations are either drive-thru coffee shops or title loan offices.

Arctic Circle: Another fast food chain. My mom worked there in the early 80's, including while she was pregnant with me, and they held a surprise baby shower for her. We ate there a lot when I was a little and I remember that they had really good burgers and vanilla shakes. They left Portland years ago, but according to their locations list, there's still one open not too far from me in Salem, and if that's accurate, I'll have to make a trip there whenever something calls me to Salem.

Places Already Mentioned in the thread:

Children's Palace
BEST
Funcoland
Babbage's
Woolworth

Places not mentioned yet:

Egghead Software was a great PC software shop that had a nice selection of games. They made big news for getting hacked and compromising millions of customer's credit card numbers. They were bought out by Amazon shortly thereafter.

Hills - discount department store. I remember they had a snack bar and we always got some popcorn and pop there.

McCrory - lots of odds and ends for cheap. Mostly bought nickel and dime candies there.

Gold Circle or "Gold C" - yet another discount department store. A little more upscale than Hills or Kmart.

Software, Etc. - where I placed my first pre-order (Sonic 2 w/ free shirt. Similar to Gamestop and eventually swallowed by them.

Video Game Exchange - first store I remember that bought and sold used games. They had a decent selection of Saturn games among other things and were generally priced cheaply. Run by the same company as Music-Go-Round, Disc-Go-Round, Computer Renaissance, and a couple other used merchandise stores. No clue what happened to any of them.

(Kegley's) Family Video - Local video rental store that had the best selection of any in the area during the 16-bt days and up into the Playstation Era. Located in the same building as a carpet store and a tanning salon that the same guy owned and operated. Totally unrelated to the new Family Video chain.

Media Play - Only around a year or so here. Prices were outrageous and selection was okay. Outclassed in every way by the nearby Best Buy and Circuit City.

Dayton Shareware/Software / Replay Media - Started out as Dayton Shareware selling shareware games, probably downloaded from a BBS. Moved onto software of all sorts then changed to Replay Media when they went from selling just used software to games, music, movies, and other media. Decent prices and a great place to pick up older games. Apparently the guy who used to run the store now runs an ebay shop called BoardGameWarehouse. He probably ebayed all his old inventory.

There was also a software shop in town where we used to buy a lot of stuff for our Commodore 64. I can't remeber the name of it for the life of me. Abby's Software maybe?

Does anyone remember when Best Buy used to have a huge display over the games section that showed what people were playing on the kiosks? It was around 1994 when the opened their first store here. That totally wowed me every time we went in there.

[quote name='Graystone']I think though for me I miss Children's palace the most it was in walking distance of my house. I had great memories of that place. I got my NES, and many games from their. We didn't have a lot of money when I was little. If I bought a handheld LCD game and got tired of it my mom would open it and cut a wire inside of it. I would then get to exchange it for another one. But yea when your young and have no money in the ghetto their is no right and wrong.[/QUOTE]
Was that the one by the Dayton Mall? That's the only one I ever remember going to.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Just asked a friend and he reminded me of Ames, Hills, HQ, and Ben Franklins (only one I know of left is in Nags Head)

My partner just said he remembers Harmoney Hut, which was a record store

Also, does anyone remember Best Product?[/QUOTE]
Wow, I didn't know Ben Franklin's used to be a chain. Good store for tourists like me (was just there last week for a new hoodie! :D), but I wouldn't see going there for anything if I lived by it.

[quote name='Number83']Remember the Sears Christmas Catalog?!? I remember my parents getting it in like August. It was over 1000 pages, and about 400 of them were toys set up in different arrays. The video games totaled in the 100's. I drooled over it for months...only to be disappointed come Christmas. Damn you, Santa!!![/QUOTE]
Oh man... I used to create my 10-page Christmas list from the Sears catalog. Pure awesome.

Pamida.

I've only ever seen two. One in the town where I grew up that closed about 15 years ago. The last I saw was on a trip to Ohio and it looks deserted.

Cool thread.

I remember:

Playing my Atari 2600 on my TG&Y tv.

My 1st car catching on fire in the Hot 'N Now drive thru while getting some 39 cent burgers when I was 16.

and I find it kind of ironic that the Children's Palace(which was next door to Service Merchandise) that I always begged my parents to take me to as a kid is now a Best Buy.

Wow... this thread brings back the memories. Our big treat every weekend was to rent a nintendo game from now-defunct video places around here. Those were the good old days... two day NES rentals for $4 a pop. Makes me laugh when people bitch about not getting a week long rental nowadays.

[quote name='radjago']Hills - discount department store. I remember they had a snack bar and we always got some popcorn and pop there[/QUOTE]

We had a Hills here too... YEARS ago... I fondly remember the toy section in the back corner and the smell of popcorn when entering and leaving. They used to have those long, thin bags for popcorn. There was a store around here that was kinda close to that called Hart's. Imagine Hills but not as brightly lit and no concession stand in the front.

[quote name='Kayden']Pamida.

I've only ever seen two. One in the town where I grew up that closed about 15 years ago. The last I saw was on a trip to Ohio and it looks deserted.[/QUOTE]

I saw one in Loogootee, IN when I was selling insurance. I never went into it though. What is it?

[quote name='Kayden']Pamida.

I've only ever seen two. One in the town where I grew up that closed about 15 years ago. The last I saw was on a trip to Ohio and it looks deserted.[/quote]

Pamida's were nearly dead for a long time but have been coming back, especially since ShopKo bought em. They basically occupy towns that aren't quite big enough to warrant a Wal-Mart.

Ben Franklins are still around aplenty, in this area at least.

Does anyone still have an Aladdin's Castle around?

A few more:

Service Merchandise - like Best Products, Service Merchandise was a catalog store: I think they still have a web site but their stores are all closed

Showbiz Pizza - kind of like Chuckie Cheese but they served beer: we went there all the time in college to play videogames and drink

Also, there are a few restaurant chains I remember that are gone now: Bill Knapp's, Rax, Sambo's (I think their name killed them!), Farrell's Ice Cream, and Chi Chi's

[quote name='Machine']A few more:

Service Merchandise - like Best Products, Service Merchandise was a catalog store: I think they still have a web site but their stores are all closed

Showbiz Pizza - kind of like Chuckie Cheese but they served beer: we went there all the time in college to play videogames and drink

Also, there are a few restaurant chains I remember that are gone now: Bill Knapp's, Rax, Sambo's (I think their name killed them!), Farrell's Ice Cream, and Chi Chi's[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, I remember Service Merchandise... never went there, but they had a store right over by Westland Mall.

[quote name='klwillis45']Pamida's were nearly dead for a long time but have been coming back, especially since ShopKo bought em. They basically occupy towns that aren't quite big enough to warrant a Wal-Mart.

Ben Franklins are still around aplenty, in this area at least.

Does anyone still have an Aladdin's Castle around?[/quote]

Theres a BF up by my mom's in her 40 person town. :lol:

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']
I saw one in Loogootee, IN when I was selling insurance. I never went into it though. What is it?[/quote]

Think WalMart.

Anyone remember Pharmore? It was like a walmart with a video store in it. As a kid growing up, it was heaven. You were able to mix and match 6 (yes fucking 6 things) games and movies for 3 or 4 dollars total. On top of that you got the games for 5 days. There was nothing better for me and my friends growing up then going to pharmore on a friday night and renting 6 NES games.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Those two remind me of two other places: Childrens Palace and the Toy Castle. I remember I bought the original TMNT board game at Childrens Palace back in like 89. Now that exact spot is a CompUSA and has been since about 91 or so[/QUOTE]

Mine is a Comp USA to. Childrens Palace flat out ruled..

I have yet to read the whole thrad but I remember Best and Whitmark.

[quote name='Graystone']
I think though for me I miss Children's palace the most it was in walking distance of my house. I had great memories of that place. I got my NES, and many games from their. We didn't have a lot of money when I was little. If I bought a handheld LCD game and got tired of it my mom would open it and cut a wire inside of it. I would then get to exchange it for another one. But yea when your young and have no money in the ghetto their is no right and wrong.[/QUOTE]

No damn way?!? My mom used to buy us shaving cream and toilet paper for halloween but I always had to come up with those type of ideas on my own..

I guess being somewhat poor growing up you get creative.

Crazy Eddie's: Anyone that grew up in the NYC area in the late 80's or even earlier would remember this electronice store, especially it's slogan:

"Our prices are inSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

I used to love those commercials....

Incredible Universe. A huge electronics store, that basically had a ton of systems demo'd, including a home version of Mad Dog McGree!

Needless to say...it didn't last very long. Maybe a year or two at best.

[quote name='Kapwanil']The OLD Toys R Us
What do I mean by this? Back when most TRU stores didn't have this completely asstacular "waste floor space" setup that takes longer to walk around and longer to find things. How about when TRU had stock of plenty of almost all of the great toys available as well as plenty of great exclusives? Whatever happened to the TRU that had plenty of excellent RC vehicles, an entire wall of unique board games, and a video game section that, while being a pain in the ass to find actual stock in the special pick-up area up front, wat literally two or three aisles of nothing but gaming goodness with excellent kiosks that demoed some of the best games currently on the market? Oh, yeah, it died. I'm still upset ALONE by the severe lack of awesome Lego sets nowadays in there. That's just blasphemy.
[/QUOTE]

One of these stores does still exsist. Its in Fargo, ND. While the demo kiosks I can't vouch for, the rest of the store is still the old layout. Ticket system and everything.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']DHot N' Now - Midwestern fast food chain that Pepsi bought in the 90's and expanded nationally. Restraunts were built all over Portland, and with 39 cent burgers, fries, and sodas, Hot N' Now was usually the place my parents would buy dinner at if they couldn't cook for some reason. Shortly after expansion, Pepsi sold the chain, and according to Wikipedia, Hot N' Now surprisingly still exists with a few restraunts in Michigan and Wisconsin. In Portland, most former Hot N' Now locations are either drive-thru coffee shops or title loan offices.

Arctic Circle: Another fast food chain. My mom worked there in the early 80's, including while she was pregnant with me, and they held a surprise baby shower for her. We ate there a lot when I was a little and I remember that they had really good burgers and vanilla shakes. They left Portland years ago, but according to their locations list, there's still one open not too far from me in Salem, and if that's accurate, I'll have to make a trip there whenever something calls me to Salem.[/QUOTE]

I remember Hot n' Now! Although my main memory is my mom jumping out of the car to pull a leaf of a tree to use as a stencil for an ivy pattern wall qulit she was working on.

I went to an Artic Circle once, a couple years ago. My parents insisted on stopping for nostaliga's sake (They went a lot as kids.)

As for stores I miss... when I was in Kindergarten, we lived in Oak Harbor. We went back a few years ago and learned every single store in town has closed down/became something else. (The sewage plant next to the beach was still operating, tho.)

bread's done
Back