What are the most critical things to backup ?

I am upgrading to Windows 7 and want to know what the most critical stuff is that I need to back up. I cant backup my whole hard drive because my external hard drive isnt big enough. I am coming form XP to Windows 7 .

Thanks

Backup anything you can't reinstall and can't bear to lose. Personal files such as Word documents, pics, saved game files, music files, and home movies would obviously take priority. Also, don't forget that you can store some of your stuff "in the cloud" rather than on physical media.

^ Pretty much what he stated.

Family/Friend Pictures, Family Videos, Important Documents (which you would be wise to back up by emailing them to yourself if they are small enough), Game Save Files and Personal Projects.

You should use an free online service like Megaupload or the like to store stuff that you can not fit on your HD. Password protect your items if they are not for anyone else's eyes.

You need two levels of backup. You day to day data and your Disaster Recovery Set.

The latter is what you use when you whole hard takes a dive and you lose everything. Your system may have come with recovery discs for the OS and bundled stuff but this falls short of letting you quickly rebuild the computer with all of your apps installed and everything arranged to your preference.

Since a DRS doesn't need to be created very often, you can use a set of burned DVDs rather than a hard drive to store it.

bread's done
Back