What are your favorite party board games?

apples 2 apples is pretty fun, as well as scategories and taboo. One that hasn't been said yet is loaded questions.

Monopoly, Risk, Settlers of Catan, chess, anything involving the acquisition of land & deriving income/benefits from it

Risk, Monopoly and Chess come to mind. Moving onto less board but more card, Taboo and Scatagories. Also, didnt see this mentioned before but also a big fan of BANG!, same basis as Mafia if anyone's played that, but with a Western theme, etc.

Diplomacy if you have enough dedicated people to play it. In high school, my friends and I used to play Risk and Axis and Allies.

Settlers of Catan is also a lot of fun.

I recently got Apples to Apples based purely on your recommendations and ended up really liking it. Its really fun with a large group of people.

I found out that the game is much more fun when you have the last card doesn't count rule. It ends up being much more spontaneous and the game much faster.

the best party games are Apples to Apples, Battle of the Sexes, Taboo, Cranium, Partini, and any other game that emphasizes big teams and teamwork.

[quote name='nevposey']I recently got Apples to Apples based purely on your recommendations and ended up really liking it. Its really fun with a large group of people.

I found out that the game is much more fun when you have the last card doesn't count rule. It ends up being much more spontaneous and the game much faster.[/quote]

I was just going to come here to recommend Apples to Apples! It's not a board game per se, it's a card game but man is it fun!

My friends and I also make up our own rules depending on the group... (Majority votes win vs. judges, for instance).

It's a great game, I highly recommend it.

[quote name='nevposey']I recently got Apples to Apples based purely on your recommendations and ended up really liking it. Its really fun with a large group of people.

I found out that the game is much more fun when you have the last card doesn't count rule. It ends up being much more spontaneous and the game much faster.[/QUOTE]
I played the last card doesn't count way once, but we ended up scrapping that soon. The game got less fun because people were more worried about getting a card, any card, down as soon as possible just so they won't be excluded from the round, instead of putting down a worthwhile card.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']

Honorable mention:

Fireball island -- "3-D adventure board game" -- not a lot of strategy but it's fun when the volcano "launches" and takes out several players in one fell swoop.
MB_Fireball-Island_4708_game_web.jpg
[/quote]
This is one of the best games from my childhood. I had totally forgotten about it until now. Thanks!

Depends on who you are playing with...

If your group is normal people.
Apples to Apples

If you got a bit more adult crowd.
Pimp The Backhanding (yes it is a card game and yes it is awesome because you get to be a royal dick to people and if you know you can't win you can still be a royal dick to people which makes it fun).

If you got a bunch of nerds.
Pick up a set of Dungeoneer it is a RPG card game and it is amazing.

we recently got...

loaded questions. its fun, everyone answers a question then someone has to guess who answered what.

hit or miss. which is like scattergories with dice. also fun, but not as much as loaded questions.

seinfeld scene it. its a scene it game thats all seinfeld, me my gf and my good buddy are hard core fans, we played with another friend that isnt. i won, my gf and buddy werent far behind. and my friend thats a casual seinfeld fan moved 1 space the entire game, and it wasnt from a correct answer.

another friend of mine got twilight imperium 3rd edition for christmas. the game kicks ass, its like civilization the board game, pretty fun stuff.

ti.jpg

[quote name='GuyWithGun']I played the last card doesn't count way once, but we ended up scrapping that soon. The game got less fun because people were more worried about getting a card, any card, down as soon as possible just so they won't be excluded from the round, instead of putting down a worthwhile card.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it ends up being a pretty big twist on the game because the cards are much less thought out. I guess its not for everyone.

[quote name='Law_Professor']I was just going to come here to recommend Apples to Apples! It's not a board game per se, it's a card game but man is it fun!

My friends and I also make up our own rules depending on the group... (Majority votes win vs. judges, for instance).

It's a great game, I highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed the different variations. The majority votes one is pretty interesting, I should try it sometimes.

I've recently got addicted to Blokus. I haven't bought my own set yet but you can play it free online. Multiplayer too. Fun stuff.

My wife and I host games nights during the summer. Usually we have between 8 - 16 people and usually try to find games to get everyone or two big groups involved. Below is a list of games we found to be favorities.

We usually start with spoons as a great warm up. We usually split into two groups and get two games of spoons going with the top four from each group play in the final. Great ice breaker.

Apples to Apples is a great party game. Another great one from Out of the Box games is Snorta.
pic214952_t.jpg

Up to 8 players (we have stretched it to 10 without any problems) making animal sounds at each other. Read the review to see why.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11231

If you have a big group (13-18) of people , it's difficult to find a game everyone can play together. I found Werewolves of Miller's Hollow to be an engaging game. Either you love it or hate it, but a great way to bring everyone together.
pic73086_t.jpg

Read the review....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25821

[quote name='Nineswords']
If you have a big group (13-18) of people , it's difficult to find a game everyone can play together. I found Werewolves of Miller's Hollow to be an engaging game. Either you love it or hate it, but a great way to bring everyone together.
pic73086_t.jpg

Read the review....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25821[/QUOTE]

This is just like Mafia, except it has more roles. You don't even need to buy the game to play. You can just get a deck of cards and use that instead.

[quote name='Over easy']This is just like Mafia, except it has more roles. You don't even need to buy the game to play. You can just get a deck of cards and use that instead.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have heard it's similar to Mafia.

One thing that sucks about unplugged gaming is that it requires you to have real-life friends, which I'm not around enough sadly. :(

The few times I've played them they have been really fun though.

[quote name='DestroVega']Apples to Apples is great. Last card doesn't count rule? fill me in..[/QUOTE]
Basically, when you have more than 4 or 5 people the last person to put a card down can't play that round and has to pick his card back up.

[quote name='i_bent_my_wookie']This is one of the best games from my childhood. I had totally forgotten about it until now. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I loved Fireball Island. I wish I never got rid of it. Every time I find one it is so expensive.

Great multi-player party games around here are Pictureka, Scrabble, Three Man Chess, Lego Board Games, Clue, Risk.

Also, why doesn't CAG have a tabletop, TCG, RPG forum.

I'd love to post some steals I got from thrift shops. Stratego (1977) in near mint for $2.

My group plays Apples to Apples, Munchkin, and Settlers of Catan fairly often. I'm partial to Jenga, but I forget to bring it over with me. My fiance adores Risk and Stratego, but he's so competitive about it no one will play with him (including me- it starts fights when I do.) We did a Mafia variant with playing cards a couple times, with 1 killer and narrator having to spin a good story out of the whole thing. That kind of fizzled out since it works best with a larger group. Although, we still talk about the round where my fiance was in charge and made the setting Auschwitz. It was very, VERY wrong. It was also hilarious.

Anyone ever heard of the game "Bang!"? Kind of a Mafia-esque card game with spaghetti Western roots. Unbelievably fun, although it really only works with 5-7 people.

bread's done
Back