What are your favorite Shmups?

fatdragondzc

CAGiversary!
Recently I've been getting into shmups and was wondering what you guys would recommend. I wanna pick a few more up and I don't really care if I have to import them. So far I've played Raiden IV, Triggerheart and some Ikuraga and looking forward to pick up Deathsmiles.

first off, what is deathsmiles, and add 1942 to the list... the revamped version on XBL arcade is pretty decent.

Un Squadron is awesome.

Dont forget:

R-Type 1, 2 and Final
Raiden Fighters Aces
Futari
Gradius V
Giga Wing
Shoot1UP (xbox live indie game)
UN Squadron

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... well I do really like Cave games, and I'm digging Espgaluda II right now. I haven't played it enough yet to call it a favorite of mine though. If I had to choose something, it'd probably be Battle Garegga or Soukyugurentai. Gotta love Raizing.

Mushihimesama Futari is my favorite. Really digging ESPGaluda 2 on the iPhone. Shmuppin' on the bus this morning = win. Triggerheart Excelica is so-so. Ikaruga is classic, but I'm a little sick of sucking at it for years! On mame, Guwange, ProGear, Mars Matrix, and the Giga Wing games rule.

played most of the PS2 shmups: mushihime 1, Ibara, Dodonpachi Daioujou...they were pretty fun, but I think cave's games are much better this gen.

^ Yep, love Lords of Thunder. Manliest shump next to Cho Aniki. Plus an awesome soundtrack.

Also I'll mention In The Hunt. You can get this one fairly cheap.

bread's done
Back