What are your fondest video game memories?

FallMoon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Tell me your fondest video game memories. That's basically it, pretty simple.

Since everyone else is telling theirs, I'll say some of mine.

I was born in 1992, so these are fairly recent years for you older people.

1. I remember in 1995, when my dad showed me and my two older brothers (born in 90, and 91) our first video game, Super Mario World. We all took turns for hours playing over the levels, and losing. It was really fun.

2. I remember going to Sears and seeing Super Mario RPG in a glass case. I really wanted that, and my brother wanted Ms. Pacman. So, we both got our way. I got home, and beat Bowser, and was really proud of myself.

3. Playing Yoshi's Island late at night and with my cousin, who babysat me at the time.

4. Getting my Nintendo 64 on Christmas with Starfox 64 and Super Mario 64.

5. My dad bought me Ocarina of time, and Goldeneye for himself in November of 1998. I'd never heard of Zelda before that, but was still amazed by the gameplay and art style. The next day, we played Goldeneye on Multiplayer. Probably the best multiplayer ever.

6. Getting Pokemon for Christmas of 98 or 99 and showing my brothers the new pokemon I'd caught.

I could answer this question in a thousand ways... let me pick one.

Something that comes to mind would be playing Ultima V... having my map on the wall and just thinking, "oh... my.... god...how expansive is this world??". Waking up in Iolo's hut and taking my first steps into a huge world. Honestly I never felt any sense of scale like that until leaving the horde training area in World of Warcraft and was standing at my first crossroad.

But back to Ultima V: Learning the runic language and deciphering tombstones. Following Lord British's doomed search party in the Underworld with his journal on my lap, trying to figure out what, exactly happened. Yelling the name of the first Shadowlord out loud and watching him materialize in the center of Bucaneer's Den and watching all of the townspeople lose it. Learning the password to the Resistance and then, finally being executed by Lord Blackthorne.

Never did beat the game.

Honorable mention: Pretty much anything Sierra. I was talking with my friend about the Perils of Rosella (Kings Quest IV) just yesterday.

Speaking of Ultima...

One of my memories was also Ultima related. I had a Norwegan foreign exchange student living with me when I was about 17. I saved up my hard earned cash, and purchased Ultima IV. I was really enjoying the game. The exchange student (who I despised) was also playing the game on a different save file. He had managed to make it farther in the game than me, and was getting close to finishing it. One day while he was out and about, I loaded his game, and Skull of Mondain'd his ass. Pretty much an asshole thing to do, as it is an item that had adverse affects if used upon yourself. It pretty much crippled him for the rest of the game. Was a terrible thing of me to do, and I regret it now, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Probably my best memory was spending an entire week working through The Legend of Zelda. My parents had just separated, and my mom wanted to make it easier on me, so she let me play it all week to my hearts content. I stopped every few hours to eat, sleep, etc... Good times.

Great thread. Really too many to pick from.

One was playing the sword fighting from Monkey Island for the first time. A similar one, with another Lucas Arts game is the first time I heard full voice acting in Loom.

A more general one is waking up the day after Christmas and spending all day playing whatever RPG I got that year. FF III stands out the most in my mind. The first time I unleashed a Blitz Technique with Sabin was a great day.

Ok I'm old....

1. Playing Hardball on the C64! Greatest baseball game still.

2. Tecmo Bowl tournaments in college. Nothing like get shitfaced with 50 other guys while playing Tecmo.

RC

One of my most memorable game moments:

My parents had one of those pop-up campers you towed around. One summer, I set this up in the back yard (my folks have a farm in Kentucky...big back yard), packed up my 13 inch TV and my NES, unrolled two long extension power cords, and moved out of the house and away from my annoying little brothers for the entire summer.

Wow, what a summer of NES awesomeNES. First time I played thru Final Fantasy I, Mega Man (1-3) Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda, Double Dragon, and a bunch of other great games that made the NES such an awesome system. From that summer on, I was forever a video game addict.

Since the camper had 2 bunks, my buddy that lived down the street stayed over alot that summer and the two of us nerded out on the NES. One memory that we always reminince about to this day was the time he brought over a new game he had just gotten, Blades of Steel, and his new controler, the NES Max. He had played this game solo for several days before coming over, and thought he was gonna pwn me with his mad skillz and his turbo-inhanced controller. After the second period when I was ahead by several goals, he started cursing his controller, and slammed it against the table, shattering the poor Max into several hundred pieces that flew all over the camper.

Ahh, that was a great summer.

Mine would be playing Ys Book I&II on the Turbo Grafx-16 CD. That was THE most fun I've ever had with a RPG. Loved the remake on the PS2, but the PC Engine version is the best hands down IMO.

Here's another random one. I remember watching my friend load up this new game called The Bard's Tale (i think it might have been the second one). Now, just as how arcades used to always have better graphics that the ports, there was this distinct golden era when PC's, Amiga's and, arguably, Apples had this edge over consoles and, in some regard, even the arcades.

Particularly in role playing games. There was nothing like this on console or arcade. And these graphics were animated.

bards_tale_2_screen1.jpg

I remember his brother Tri, who was quite an artist, had a stack about fifty sheets deep of hand drawn graph paper maps. I'm not sure if I'd want to do that today, but there was something cool about the dedication and artistry about the whole thing. Something about having some of the game (as I mentioned in my above post) in your lap while the rest is on screen.

Figuring out that you needed to collect the Wanted posters before you could face the level bosses in Gunsmoke, and then beating the game - NES, Beating Shredder in the original TMNT -NES

And beating (surviving the onslaughts) of Ninja Gaidens I & II -Also NES

Sonic The Hedgenog 1,2,3.

These games bring the most memories to me. I got Sonic 2 with the Genesis as a gift the same year it came out I believe and that blew my mind back then because I never thought I would actually get one. I got Sonic 3 as a birthday present from my aunt and Sonic 1 from a friend who just didn't want it back in the day. I played those games with my siblings, friends, and even parents all the time. I miss those days.

Completing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 with 100% completion, experiencing games like GTA3 and DOA2 for the first time, finding out secrets in GTA3, Vice City, and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, winning in my first online match of Halo 2, and on that subject, being addicted to an online game for the first time (Diablo II back in 2000).

My fondest memories are getting my fuck ing ass kicked by Death in the original Castlevania and by Super Macho Man in Punch Out. It took me almost 18 years to beat those guys.

I remember seeing Phantasy Star II for the first time in a small computer store (ones that overcharge for most any item they sell) in NYC on St. Patricks Day. Some of the resident computer techs were playing it on monitors (a novel idea to me, considering I was using a 286 at the time), and they were fighting monsters on Dezo in the first dungeon when you land on the planet. My brother and I had to beg my somewhat drunken father (he plays in the NYC Police Irish Warpipe Band-- kilts and all) for the, now dont quote me, $80 for the game, which came with a gigantic hint book which I still have today..

I have many fond memories of my SMS, especially games such as Alex Kidd in the Miracle World, and Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Only my friends had NES, but I played that as much as I could as well.

I played many games of Quake and Action Quake, a mod of Quake 2, over the T1 at my college...That was good times.

WCW Revenge led to many classes skipped, with blunts and beers consumed. RBI Baseball is a classic still played by my friends today.

I have a few:

---The day I got Ocarina of Time. Jesus, it was the day after Christmas, and my parents were having a party with all our relatives. My brothers and I were literally in awe at just about everything. We argued over who got to open the next treasure chest, even if it was just a small key. I remember trying to steal the controller from them before the first boss room. That night, I remember sneaking down around 1 am to play. I think I played until 4 am when I passed out on the couch with the controller in my hand. Needless to say, in the morning I was busted by the parents.

---Goldeneye all-nighters. Those were some of the most fun nights I've ever had with friends.

---1 CCing Ikaruga. It was my first shmup, and it took literally 20+ hours of practice. Most of the time was fun, but repeating the third stage over and over again in practice mode was just annoying. I don't even think I felt happy after that though, I think I just felt a sense of relief and I took a shit right after beating it.

---Grand Theft Auto 3 all-nighters. Wow, when this game came out six years ago, I think it encompassed my social life for at least eight weekends in a row. A friend and I would get together every Saturday night and just switch off every few missions. And we were both fine with that, it was a game that was just as fun to watch as it is to play.

I remember the days of playing jurassic Park on Genesis and getting o frustrated because I could never beat the raft level. There was this one part in particular where you had to ride this waterfall down after passing the T-Rex, and every time I got passed the T-Rex I would end up crashing the raft. I eventually gave up.

Also the days of going to my friends to play Goldeneye. I abolutely loved playing multiplayer with proximity mines. Man that game was good.

My friend and I played Super Mario Kart almost every day. We would play the first track of the Mushroom Circuit, 1 vs 1. We played to 20 wins. We had that track so optimized that even the slightest mistake would lose the race.

My freind and I played Arnold Palmer Golf for hours on the Genesis.

Arkanoid with the special controller on NES was a zen like deal.

Super Mario World on SNES was incredible.

Monster Manor on the 3DO for hours in the dark. That music!

Magician Lord on the NEO GEO was piss hard.

Playing with Mario's face and then spending 30 minutes outside the castle in Mario 64.

finally, re-living the Mario series on the GBA.

Oh, and hours on Kuru Kuru Kururin on GBA, awesome.

I earliest memory was when I was 4 or 5 years old in Wichita, Kansas. I remember playing Batman on the NES in my room while my older sister got ready for school. I was too young to be in school, so I got to play games all day. I had a badysitter who had a massive collection of NES games. Good times. My family moved out of the town a few months before the great Wichita tornado of 1991.

I remember the Sega Channel! The damn thing worked half the time but man it was awesome. I remember getting up early at the beginning of each month to see the new games switch over. I had it all summer long, I believe it only lasted that long. Thats where I discovered Shinning Force for the first time. I discovered many more games that to this day I don't know the name of and would like to play again.

Another good one was when I was a freshmen in high school and I recieved Ocarina of Time for X-mas. I lost my first girlfriend due to not calling her because of Zelda. Years later, I would do it again.

4 player Goldeneye in my old dorm room. That game will never be topped when it comes to multiplayer. Halo LAN parties were fun but there's nothing like the grand daddy of them all.

My other great memories were from the Atari. I could play Defender all night long when my mom would go out and leave me with the "babysitter".

Getting a super nintendo and FFII for christmas when i was 10 or 11 and playing all day and all night until school started back up.

Playing Half-Life and Unreal Torunament with may fraternity brothers in our house for hours on end. We all just back together for Mardi Gras and we all remembered having a blast, course they all remembered me taunting them by playing 'Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" every time i won a round.

Learning how to use our first computer when i was 9 or 10 so that i could play Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance, and Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Playing the Legend of Zelda with my little brother so much one summer that we could beat the enite game in less than two or three hours and we were only 7 and 8.

1) Going through Brinstar in Super Metroid
2) Playing through the initial parts of Chrono Trigger (that's as far as I could get as a kid when I rented it.)

SNES = win.

Getting Zelda: Majora's Mask for Christmas. My birthday is January 9th, so I got an Expansion Pak as an early birthday gift so I could play it. I remember playing through the game (my first Zelda) completely wide-eyed and taken aback. It was the most emotional experience I've had with a video game, ever. Damn I miss those days.

Spring of '95, my 8th grade physics class had a field trip to Six Flags Great Adventure. At the end of the day all our groups rendezvoused at one of the arcades there, and lo and behold, there was a BIG SCREEN version of the freshly-released Mortal Kombat 3. I joined in against some dude and proceeded to go on a 5-match winning streak, with my whole class cheering me on. I don't think I've ever felt more awesome playing a fighting game. :D

Spring '93 - I had never been pumped up for the release of any game like I was for Lemmings 2 on the Amiga. One day, when my school bus turned the corner and I saw a UPS delivery truck next to my house, my head nearly exploded. Somehow I just knew it would be my order of Lemmings 2, and I was correct! My first night playing that game was just this dreamlike, wondrous haze... oh man, it was beautiful.

Christmas Eves at my cousins house were always awesome, because my cousin had a SNES. This was long before I would ever have an SNES of my own, so every time I got to play one as a kid, it was precious. Us little cousins would play Super Mario World for hours on end. Later on it was Mario Kart alternating with SMW.

Hmm, weird, I didn't even mean to, but I went backwards through time with those. Oh well, there's tons more but I should probably get back to work. ;)

Wow...lots of memories. Well recently playing 4 player Golden Eye and Super Smash Brothers with the guys in the fraternity. But in high school, 8 years ago it was beating Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time as a gnome thief/mage, and beating Diablo in Diablo 2 for the first time.

The biggest memory of all, buying my first console, a DC (i know im behind), cracking that bad boy opening at marveling at the graphics that smoked N64 and Ps1, and staying up all night playing MvsC2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, and many more. Aww the memories.

One of my great memories is being the first in line at my Babbages and getting a Dreamcast at launch. Getting home, I popped in Soul Calibur 2 and my jaw hit the floor. I finally had true arcade graphics at home. More memories to be posted..................

[quote name='Chacrana']2) Playing through the initial parts of Chrono Trigger (that's as far as I could get as a kid when I rented it.)[/quote]Back in the days when me and my dad rented nearly every SNES game Blockbuster had, I only rented one game multiple times. The honor belongs to Chrono Trigger. Unlike you, I actually got quite close to beating it on competely different playthroughs, but I never actually beat it until I downloaded the game years later

Ah yes, I remember when SNES emulation was in its early development stages. The domes in the future were unplayable without turning off the fog layer due to playing in 256 color, pushing L and R (corresponding to Page Up and Page Down, if I remember right) was impossible for that one puzzle due to keyboard limitations, etc. Sad to say the first time I ever beat was on an emulator, and not even one that ran great, but at least I did enjoy it. And I still do.

Chrono Trigger is one of a few games (and by far the longest of those few) that I pick up and beat on a yearly basis.

Oh, and I nearly forgot a defining moment for me. Mega Man X. I borrowed it from a friend after he raved about it. Gosh, I think I was in second or third grade at the time. Anyway, I practically stole the game from him. The big moment though is when
you face Vile at the first Sigma level and Zero jumps out of the little cage thingy and self-destructs on the Ride armor
. I would say that's why I chose to call myself Z-Saber so many years later.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Back in the days when me and my dad rented nearly every SNES game Blockbuster had, I only rented one game multiple times. The honor belongs to Chrono Trigger. Unlike you, I actually got quite close to beating it on competely different playthroughs, but I never actually beat it until I downloaded the game years later

Ah yes, I remember when SNES emulation was in its early development stages. The domes in the future were unplayable without turning off the fog layer due to playing in 256 color, pushing L and R (corresponding to Page Up and Page Down, if I remember right) was impossible for that one puzzle due to keyboard limitations, etc. Sad to say the first time I ever beat was on an emulator, and not even one that ran great, but at least I did enjoy it. And I still do.

Chrono Trigger is one of a few games (and by far the longest of those few) that I pick up and beat on a yearly basis.

Oh, and I nearly forgot a defining moment for me. Mega Man X. I borrowed it from a friend after he raved about it. Gosh, I think I was in second or third grade at the time. Anyway, I practically stole the game from him. The big moment though is when
you face Vile at the first Sigma level and Zero jumps out of the little cage thingy and self-destructs on the Ride armor
. I would say that's why I chose to call myself Z-Saber so many years later.[/QUOTE]

I always ended up with a different copy of Chrono Trigger when I rented it. And I also didn't finish that game until I played it on an emulator. Though I played it later on in SNES emus' development when the fog issue wasn't an issue anymore.

I had the PC version of Mega Man X... it was kinda weird playing the game on the X Collection that came out last year, because there were no mechs in the PC version. I saw that and was like "what the fuck1!?!??! they didn't have these till X2!!!" It was a strange moment.

[quote name='Chacrana']I always ended up with a different copy of Chrono Trigger when I rented it.[/quote]I can't remember if my store had multiple copies of it or not, but regardless, I didn't re-rent it consecutively. There were, at the very least, weeks between rentals, but more likely months.

Interesting that many of the memories are while playing games with one or more friends. Many of my fondest memories are gaming with friends.

First gaming memory - Selling our Sears Pong system in a yard sale because we'd just bought an Atari 2600.

Getting Zelda on launch and staying up all night with a friend to beat it.

The many, many hours spent with same friend playing Ultima VI.

Many more hours and dollars spent in arcades with the same friend beating games like Gauntlet, Smash Tv, TMNT, and the Simpsons.

Playing countless hours of the Unreal Tourney online with friends.

Latest fond gaming memory - last night beating Hooley in the final Tank Battle in Dragon Quest Heros: Rocket Slime

Getting a Nintendo for Christmas 1987 and staying up all night to play Super Mario Bros.

Spending the night at my friend's house every weekend and playing Nintendo. My parents would rent me a game for any wrestling tournament I won as a kid, and tournaments were always on Saturdays. Needless to say, it drove me to a 32-2 season one year and a state title. Not to mention so many games I'd never played before.

My dad bringing home a used SNES in 1993 that he bought from a co-worker for $70 that came with Super Mario World, Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2: Turbo. That was a steal, and it was the last time I can remember getting to game with my dad. Before that, we'd beaten Zelda together. With the SNES, we would get into 1v1 Mario Kart battles.

Playing Return to Zork with a friend and getting equally frustrated trying to assemble the Flying Disc of Froboz. To this day, I haven't beaten the game, nor can I find it.

Staying home with an ear infection and playing Metal Gear Solid for two days straight. As my sig says, I cried fighting Rex with no rations. Really. I did.

My girlfriend buying me a Dreamcast when she was in high school, working some measly part-time job. Not only was it the most kick-ass present anyone had ever got me, but I knew how many hours she had to work to do that for me, even though she wasn't into video games. That, my friends, is love.

Playing FFVII and getting hooked on the series for life. That game change the face of the RPG forever.

Buying the first system I ever bought with my own money - the Nintendo 64 - and then never playing it much because games were absurdly expensive and because I had a Playstation, and soon thereafter, a Dreamcast.

Being the only kid on my street to be gaming on an Amiga, while everyone just had Nintendo, then being the only kid on my street with a TurboGrafx 16. I spent so much time playing Bonk and Dungeon Explorer.

Goldeneye get-togethers with my group of friends. There were typically about 7 or 8 of us at one time, and we'd have to alternate play-throughs even with four-player split-screen. In order to stay on, you had to win. It should come as no surprise, then, that we got very, very good at the game. These bouts of Goldeneye paved the way for group sessions of WCW/NWO Revenge. Later, we would discover Halo, and Halo 2 meant we'd never have to leave our houses. Which meant the end of the get-togethers.

The infamous Toy R Us sale of 2004 ... 99-cent games!

And the newest: Waking up at 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday, dragging my girlfriend out of bed, and driving to Wichita to stand in line outside Target to get a Wii. It ended up that there were a dozen consoles and just a handful of us there when it opened. But it's an experience we can look back on together every time we play our Wii.

Atari Bowling w/ my parents

Being one of the first in line to get Super Mario 3 (NES) at my local TRU

Playing Godzilla (NES), after coming home to see that our house was robbed

Endless hours of Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2 (SNES) with my cousin

Getting a SNES w/ Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2

Every trip to an arcade I've ever made. Heated fighting game matches

Playing X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, SF 3: Third Strike and Super Puzzle Fighter, at a local liquor store everyday after school....my entire Freshman year of high school

Most recently...placing 3rd overall in Capcom Vs. SNK 2 at a local tournament.

-Playing Super Mario World at the daycare of the gym my dad went to when I was a kid.

-Getting pwned by my cousin at Mortal Kombat 2 on SNES and having numerous fatalities performed against me. It wasn't pretty.

-Endless hours of Super Smash Bros and Goldeneye N64 with friends during junior high.

-Smash Bros Melee all nighters during high school that we still have every now and then.

-Finally beating the first level of Halo 2 Legendary on co-op after many many many attempts.

-Soul Calibur 2. Still the most amazing fighting game I've ever played and loved.

-Finally getting my own SNES last year with Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Super Mario All Stars all for 40 bucks.

-renting earthbound and then the very next day, went to Hills and bought it. Still have it to this day!!

-finding snes chrono trigger at fleamarket for $10
-searching every store in my area for pokemon red & blue
-getting zelda oot the day before launch
-getting game cube at launch
-playing earthbound zero on friend's modded xbox
-finding my wii on 1-18-07
-yesterday got megaman 2 complete and completed my final fantasy III by getting its instruction manual!!!

Past
-Beating Metroid with 12 seconds to spare and learning Samus was a woman.
-Spending endless hours playing Ultima 4

Recent
-Making a bootleg wrestling belt and fighting in No Mercy over and over for it. Still do it to this day.
-Ressurecting my NES with a new pin connector(TAKE THAT blinking death)

Probably 1992 when I finally beat Super Mario, though I also remember when Super Mario Kart came out, that was a family activity right there.

Playing Blades Of Steel with my cousin on NES. I remember always losing, but the only reason I played the game was for the fighting.

Most ridiculous, but still fun --
Hanging out with my younger brother -- dividing up the fighters in Super Street Fighter II (Genesis) and having our own tournaments, our own "belts" to fight for, and our own elaborate WWE-esque story arcs involving the characters. Who said video games can't breed creativity.

Me and my brother had NES when we were a few years old, I don't remember it at all.

We had Genesis and SNES. I was still very young for both, I barely remember anything of Genesis I only have one old memory of the Genesis which is that I almost peed my pants because me and my brother would play Mortal Kombat so long and I ran to the bathroom, weird memory. The same Genesis was moved to grandma's upstate house in NY when I was older and I have memories of playing the X-men games, Power Rangers the movie, Street Fighter Special championship Edition, etc.

The SNES is 99% of my really young gaming memories. I remember lots of co-op Contra 3 Alien Wars with the bro, Megaman (I don't recall which SNES iteration, as I still have all my SNES games but that and some others that I ignorantly sold to Funcoland years ago), I remember watching my brother play Super Mario RPG for hours but I was just not motivated enought to actually put effort into playing, I remember NBA Jam, of course Super Mario World, I remember renting Yoshi's Island.

Then the glorious N64 years. I remember getting N64 in the summer. Me and my brother get home from camp and my parents say they have a treasure hunt for us, I recall running around my house yelling out where to go next immediately after my brother said it (I remember not understanding any of the clues), eventually it led to under my parents bed. OMG I just remember N64 not being available anywhere. My parents went to some weird electronics mom and pop shop to get it. The first game I ever saw was Super Mario 64 and it blew my mind, 3d games just weren't a thought at the time. As games were never that important I just remember certain games not really getting them as I was still 5-8 years old. I remember playing Goldeneye to hell, Ken Griffey with all my friends to hell, Smash Bros to hell, and Gretzky and Mario Kart also. I remember getting Mario Party and me, my brother, and his friend all playing it for the first time and my mom watching us have a great time. Like I said I never put much effort into games so simple multiplayer games like Griffey, Mario Kart, etc. suited my needs but I almost remember my brother playing Ocarina of Time for hours upon hours.

Wow.

bread's done
Back