What are your top PS2 games

shoelace1976

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hey Cagers

I just got Rogue Galaxy and for me that is an amazing PS2 RPG. I missed the PS2 boat and trying to catch up on some RPG.

What are your favorite RPG for the PS2 guys?

List your top 5?

5) Suikoden III
4) Shadow Hearts from the new world
3) Shadow hearts
2) Rogue Galaxy
1) Shadow Hearts Covenant

My vote is for Persona 3, it is a little different but I think it is my favorite RPG on PS2.

Top 5:

1. Persona 3
2. Final Fantasy XII (I like FF games)
3. Final Fantasy X
4. ?
5. ?

Haven't really played much others....I had such a backlog of PS1 RPGs that I never got that many on PS2....still have Growlancer and Valkyrie Profile 2 sealed....

PS-> Stay away from Orphen....one of the worst...

I play a lot of SRPGs in addition to action and turn-based ones, so I've included them in my faves:

1. Dragon Quest VIII (hands-down)
2. Disgaea
3. Front Mission 4
4. Kingdom Hearts
5. Final Fantasy X-2

I have a sizeable backlog of PS2 RPGs myself, including Persona 3, Rogue Galaxy, Wild ARMs 5, Samurai Legend Musashi, etc.

Seconding Front Mission 4 because it's often overlooked. Best battles in any SRPG I've played. Plus the game is like $5 now.

I'm racist against Dragon Quest VIII because of the way they kiddied-up the localization and generally threw out the monster/item/spell consistency they'd built up over the last 20 years or so. Pick up a copy of DQ7 for PS1 instead.

In no order.

Valkyrie Profile Silmeria (This and Grandia 3 for best battle experience)

Shadow Hearts: Covenant (Great story,characters, and atmosphere)

Persona 3 (Collecting and fusing personae becomes an addiction)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (Great strategy/RPG/dungeon crawl hybrid)

Culdcept (Not really an RPG but it offers immense replay value. Play with a friend or 2 or 3, best multiplayer game on the PS2)

No rpgs for this guy here.

Lets see Resident Evil, Shadow of the Colossus, DMC3, Twisted Metal Black, and Burnout Domination

Persona 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Katamari Damacy

Honorable mentions: Devil May Cry 3, Ico, Rogue Galaxy, DragonQuest VIII

Non-exclusives that deserve to be on the list: Lego Star Wars I & II, Resident Evil 4, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

EDIT: Sorry, the above post got me listing things that aren't necesarilly RPGs.

RPGs:
Persona 3
DragonQuest VIII
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Final Fantasy XII

FF12
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (Parts 2 & 3)
King of Fighters 2000 & 2001
Star Ocean (2?): Til the end of time
Metal Gear Solid 3

A lot of you guys mentioned Persona 3. IS this game really that good? I read about it and was like, meh..." But now that so many people here feel its great I think I am gonna have to try and pick it up.

I actually just started Persona 3 earlier tonight and I'm digging it so far. The writing is kind of heavy-handed but the concept and style of the game are well handled.

Okage: Shadow King
Orphen
Summoner
Evergrace II
Eternal Ring

Localized:
- Persona 3
- Suikoden V
- Shadow Hearts Covenant (Though I think you should play the prequel to this first)
- Tales of the Abyss
- La Pucelle (Sorry Disgaea fans)

Imports:
- Tales of Destiny 2
- Summon Night 4
- Tales of Rebirth
- Front Mission 5
- Growlanser IV

It's CAGs, not CAGers....

[quote name='shoelace1976']A lot of you guys mentioned Persona 3. IS this game really that good? I read about it and was like, meh..." But now that so many people here feel its great I think I am gonna have to try and pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Persona 3 is really that good. It's in my top 5 for sure.

suikoden III - epsecially if you have played 1&2. if you read the manga all the more. it wasn't till I read the manga that I truly realized how rich of a story the first 3 games were. if you some how have 100-150 hours play all three fully do so and take another 10 hours to read the manga.

Disgaea - great battles, versatility and a halarious story unlike any other. Played through 6 times. (I rarely play through games more than once (not enough time))

Xenosaga 1 - great all around, XII good for story but not as good of a game, XIII hopeing to get too soon.

shadow of the colusus - well done sotry game play. You feel like you acomplished something at the end of this game.

Kingdom Hearts 1 - great, KHII good but not as much as the first.

star ocean 3 - great story mind trippy kind of way.

front mission 4 - love the game play story all of it. So wish they had translated FM5. sigh.

[quote name='floormat']suikoden III - epsecially if you have played 1&2. if you read the manga all the more. it wasn't till I read the manga that I truly realized how rich of a story the first 3 games were. if you some how have 100-150 hours play all three fully do so and take another 10 hours to read the manga.
[/quote]

How long do I and II take to play? Only played III so far...

[quote name='Agrippan']How long do I and II take to play? Only played III so far...[/QUOTE]

they all take around 35-50 hours each depending on speed. getting all 108 characters in each game carries over to the next giving even more depth.

bread's done
Back