What big name company is likely to Bankrupt Next?

[quote name='Kapwanil']Love that site, although some of their write-ups could use some massive overhauls. I believe I read a review of Century III Mall around Pittsburgh a long time ago, and even then it was written a few years prior. It was an accurate read but it just got so much worse it needs a follow-up and pictures to really establish how bad off it is/was.

I've never been to a mall so dark, dank, and depressing. It was ~awesome~, even though it was all about the atmosphere and not about shopping. ;)[/quote]

I also routinely go to www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com alot and they have some pictures of places I never even knew existed, like a giant old hotel/resort complex less than 2 miles from Monticello Racetrack in Monticello, NY which was part of a series of resorts popular back in the early part of the century called the Borscht Belt up in NY state.

There's quite a few abandoned places around, though I would never have the courage to go treading into them to snap some of the pictures on that site.

As for which chain may go next, I don't really know, but I know that Kmart, Toys R'Us and Radio Shack have had issues over the past 3-5 years and they are probably the ones to watch.

[quote name='SuperJedi']

Now, I see that stores like Office Depot, OfficeMax are still in business, kinda shock me more. I don't think their prices is better, or deal is better than what Circuit City had. I haven't stepped into a door of OfficeMax, Office Depot in like a year.

WHAT is it about that make a company Bankrupt? Is it about prices? Or, is it really more about customer service?[/QUOTE]

circuit city expanded too much by buying radioshack and making more stores. So neither

I'll weigh in with a couple of my thoughts on this.

I would honestly have to say that Hollywood Video might be going soon. They just closed a few stores around town and their Game Crazy store has barely anyone left in them anymore. Only local kids who can't get to a Gamestop....yet. besides that, they don't have the online rentals that BBV has so that's going against them.

Krispy Kreme I would say has expanded too much and too fast so probably expect to see some dissapear soon but I don't think they'll go bankrupt anytime soon. Too many people love those doughnuts.

Rite Aid. - might fold due to debt and with Walmart and Walgreens giving them a run for their money

Office Depot and Office Max and Staples - Like others have said, they do ALOT of B2B deals so they don't have any real worries about that.

Borders / Barnes & Noble - people will always like to have a hard copy of a book that they can get easily. returns are simple, recommendations are always needed and they don't really have any other competition except with each other. They both can also get the hard to find books that people can't find or don't want to search for.

Sirius - seriously....I don't see that many people, other than truckers, paying so much for just radio...

Sears/Kmart - sears is good on the tools and Kmart on general stuff but I think Walmart will pretty much Pwn them soon...probably expect to see a craftsman section in Walmart within the next couple of years if Kmart folds which seems pretty likely. They didn't even really have a decent Black Friday last year. besides, didn't Kmart close a lot of stores a few years ago?

Six Flags - this one is up in the air....would have to wait til summer to see what happens...

Sbarro - if mall traffic doesn't pick up soon they'll definitely fold...love the Zitti butthe quality at some places and especially the prices these days make me cringe.

FYE - ......Richard Simmons has a better chance at giving Jessica Alba anal than this place surviving

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at Office Depot and most of our customers are school faculty/teachers. Some days all our registers are backed up because of processing purchase orders. Other than that it is mostly business customers or randoms wanting to look at furniture.

[quote name='Kapwanil']Love that site, although some of their write-ups could use some massive overhauls. I believe I read a review of Century III Mall around Pittsburgh a long time ago, and even then it was written a few years prior. It was an accurate read but it just got so much worse it needs a follow-up and pictures to really establish how bad off it is/was.

I've never been to a mall so dark, dank, and depressing. It was ~awesome~, even though it was all about the atmosphere and not about shopping. ;)[/quote]

Is it south of pittsburgh? I use to live by Ross Park Mall but went down that way alot to visit an ex :)

I'm putting my money down on Kmart being the next big retailer to flub. All the stores in my area seem to be struggling so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under by the end of next year.

Ames was crap around here, everything in the store was priced higher than every other store in the area, I was in the market for a GBC at the time and they had it priced on sale for 10$ off, but with the sale it was still the same price as other retail stores. Their games were always more expensive than everywhere else, and so was everything else in their store. It reminds me of how kmart is now, except that kmart actually has decent prices when things are on clearance. Kmart is usually a dollar or more expensive on general items compared to other stores in my area.

Hollywood video would probably be my first choice, as they have closed up pretty much every store in my area.

After that would probably be FYE (because they are so overpriced). I don't even bother anymore since our mall location never has any of the sales in effect that are posted here.

Kmart and Sears just announced 20 store closings, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under soon. Of course, I don't think anyone would want them to go under because for many of us this is our last source of cheap clearance games. Part of me WANTS to see Sears and Kmart go under just because its such a horribly mismanaged company however I don't think the US needs another major chain to go under especially right now, and we certainly don't need the workers of Kmart and Sears to be out of jobs. Competition is good for the consumer after all!

Despite what everyone says I don't think blockbuster is in danger, they seem to have some pretty good prices on used games, at least here. The prices are much better than at Gamestop. Their used games come in original cases with manuals, at least at the store I go to. Their stores seem to be relatively busy, and they certainly have more customers than Sears and Kmart at any given time.

K-Mart (it boggles me how they still exist in this area, with Wal-Mart and Target in just about every area)
Radio Shack (probably just a reduction of locations - every town in this area has one!)
Blockbuster
Hollywood Video
Bed Bath & Beyond (anything you want here they probably have at Target anyways)
Kohl's (close some stores)
PacSun (reduce stores)
Hot Topic (reduce stores)
Aeropostale
Dick's Sporting Goods (expensive, and too many of them)
FYE (reduction in stores, probably close non-mall locations)
Rite Aid (Walgreens and CVS built like crazy in this area, not sure about other places)
Home Depot/Lowe's (reduction in stores)

People listed some great reasons why Radioshack is still around.

Its small and low start up cost they require franchise owners have A+ credit.

Block Buster and Kmart are great examples of businesses that will go out.

The businesses that are thriving right now are Gamestop,TJ Maxx and the type of stores that offer deals.

I think starbucks if they don't figure out how to adjust their prices are going out as well.

[quote name='ferant316']I wish, as I used to be a manager there and it sucked, but not gonna happen: http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/03/06/some_retail_sales_encouraging/[/quote]

Their clothes are super-fug for the most part. Plus the fact they have "clearance sales" on items that are supposedly $75+ "normally" but they are always "on sale" or "clearanced". I don't get it. I'd rather go to American Eagle and get something that's better quality for the same (or less, sometimes) price.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']only starbucks competition i can think of is dunkin donuts, which in reality is probably cheaper......[/QUOTE]

Peet

Rite Aid is definitely a goner. For businesses like those, pharmacy is 60-80% of their profit. Since they acquired Eckerd they have been losing pharmacists like crazy, and if they don't have them they can't have the pharmacy open. Customers go elsewhere when it is closed and never come back. I'd say they are completely crippled at this point, and they are also selling off stores they own and leasing them back just to get cash to stay afloat.

Sirius should be done too, who the hell pays for satellite radio? Even if some people on here do, most don't I bet. I think the ease of using mp3 players on a car stereo has pretty much crippled the need for pay radio.

I would think Kmart would be in trouble again, they are so damn slow when I go there in the mid afternoon. I dont want them to close down, I love the clearance games. How the hell were they in bankruptcy a couple years ago and then bought Sears? That's a mystery to me as well.

Aerpostale is a crap whole cheap clothes that fall apart right away.

I bought a pair of khaki shorts the belt loops broke off within a few days and I bought a sweatshirt from there the zipper broke off within a month.

Terrible quality

[quote name='ryanbph']Don't be surprised if best buy closes its doors in the next year or 2. They are in a similiar position to Circuit City was about 2 years back. If the horrible economic situation continues thru 2010, then best buy might not make it.[/QUOTE]

you can say the same aobut toys r us, considering they have been talking about selling off for the last 4 years

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']only starbucks competition i can think of is dunkin donuts, which in reality is probably cheaper......[/quote]

LOL Probably cheaper? I've only been in ONE Starbucks in my entire life, but let me say that to pay THAT much for a cup of fuckin' crap coffee, it better be made with gold lined filters.

But I think Foamy The Squirrel summed it up best(warning: coarse language, including F bombs, not work friendly):

http://www.illwillpress.com/sml.html

If you like that toon, they sell volumes of them at Hot Topic. Of course, you could be a cheapass like me and just watch them all at illwillpress' site.

[quote name='addicted2games']I would think Kmart would be in trouble again, they are so damn slow when I go there in the mid afternoon. I dont want them to close down, I love the clearance games. How the hell were they in bankruptcy a couple years ago and then bought Sears? That's a mystery to me as well.[/QUOTE]

They are slow here at night, so I can't imagine what its like during the afternoon! Every time I go in there at night there are maybe 5-6 customers in the store, if that. I have been in there when there were only about 3 customers. I think the only time they get business is on weekends. The only thing keeping them alive here are all the Canadians that shop there thinking they are getting a good deal. They do get some retired people shopping there during the afternoon but not many others. Also everything is marked up 1$ or more from the Target and Walmart prices in the same area. Walmart and target are literately around the corner from Kmart here, so I don't even understand how they manage to exist.

Sears is the same way, but with slightly more customers because they are in a mall, a dying mall nonetheless. People still shop at Sears for appliances because its pretty much the only appliance store locally (even though we all know they suck for appliances), that and for tools and children's clothes (especially plus-sized children's clothes). Anything else sits there unsold for eons.

I can't wait to see Kmart Bankrupt. I find that they NEVER have any good sales I wanted! Just a Waste of Space

The place is a joke compared to Target/Best Buy/Circuit City (So long!)/Wal-mart in about every way!

Nothing is cheap to me!

Plus they NEVER have things in!

Like this week's NCAA Poster when you buy coke, and Kelly Clarkson Poster. I went to see what they look like, and they DON'T have them!!!

p.s: Kelly Clarkson CD everywhere else $10, at Kmart $14

[quote name='assasin4hire']I wish Gamestop would die off...[/quote]

As much as I hate Gamestop, their occasional USED game deals was really good!

Some trading deals were sometimes alright, too.

Like trade ANY two games in, for a new $49.99-$59.99 game and pay just $20 more.

If you got old sport titles or oldass titles 1-2 years old. That's good!

But, how often do this happen? I think maybe ONLY 1-2 times a year.

[quote name='SuperJedi']I can't wait to see Kmart Bankrupt. I find that they NEVER have any good sales I wanted! Just a Waste of Space

The place is a joke compared to Target/Best Buy/Circuit City (So long!)/Wal-mart in about every way!

Nothing is cheap to me!

Plus they NEVER have things in!

Like this week's NCAA Poster when you buy coke, and Kelly Clarkson Poster. I went to see what they look like, and they DON'T have them!!!

p.s: Kelly Clarkson CD everywhere else $10, at Kmart $14[/quote]

The only problem I have with Kmart going under is they'll take Sears with them and I've found FAR MORE clearance games at both of THOSE chains than I have at any of the other ones you listed and especially for a MUCH lower price than those other chains as well. Hell, Wal*Mart doesn't even know what that word means, since their idea of clearance is .20 off retail.

So, suffice to say, I want to see Sears/Kmart around for a LOOOONG time to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only problem I have with Kmart going under is they'll take Sears with them and I've found FAR MORE clearance games at both of THOSE chains than I have at any of the other ones you listed and especially for a MUCH lower price than those other chains as well. Hell, Wal*Mart doesn't even know what that word means, since their idea of clearance is .20 off retail.

So, suffice to say, I want to see Sears/Kmart around for a LOOOONG time to come.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here, I want to see them around just for the clearance games, whatever else they sell I really don't care. I also don't want the chain to go down because then that means less competition which will ultimately lead to higher prices for consumers on everything especially if you have an area with just 2 stores like Kmart and Target. That and Kmart's double coupon promotion where I walked out of the store with a 30$ bag of stuff for 8$.

Walmart's clearance is a complete joke, and suffice to say if they became the only game in town in your area you wouldn't even be seeing clearance at all at their stores and you can bet 100% you will see price increases on just about everything.

I rarely get any clearance games from Kmart or Sears. The only store where I was able to get clearance games regularly was CC.

[quote name='SuperJedi']Blockbuster?

I think Hollywood Video will go first, before Blockbuster.

I be really shocked if Blockbuster goes first, before Hollywood Video.

I think blockbuster will go first. There are barely any blockbuster's left in my area. There use to be dozens of them.

I really hope K-Mart doesn't go anywhere. Their clearance stuff is a lot better priced than Wal-Mart on pretty much everything. The K-Mart in my old area did great business, they even had a piece in the paper when the bankruptcy was announced a few years ago on how it was one of the few stores to continue making a profit. Then again, they moved in right as the Jamesway moved out and Jamesway was making a profit up til closing as well. The new one doesn't do as much business, but it's still been steadily afloat, they just tend to only have about five or six employees in the entire store. (Heck, last time I stopped in which was a Tuesday or Wednesday around 5 or 6 pm, they were just ringing people up at customer service)

The Blockbuster in my old area continues to do a lot of rentals. I don't think I've ever stopped in and seen less than 5-6 people in the store and that included all weird hours of the day.

Not sure about Hollywood Video, but around here the West Coast Videos seem to do well. Then again, in the area I'm from there's no Blockbusters in competing distances.

As mentioned, I'm surprised Dick's is still open. It's the ultimate "look and go elsewhere" place.

Bon-Ton seems to be going down, which is a shame as they run some killer 90% off sales. I've picked up South Pole shorts for $5, Chaps jeans for $7 and T-Shirts for $2 or $3.

Bon Ton's clothes has gone downhill incredibly. They seem like they stock nothing but cookie cutter brands, when before they actually had great deals on brand name clothing.

Also I would like to mention Six Flags, they have been in trouble for a while but now it seems like they are heading for bankruptcy very quickly, they are likely to file by summer or during summer. I know its not retail but since this thread is about large companies going bankrupt:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/03/13/six-flags-at-half-mast/

[quote name='SaraAB']Bon Ton's clothes has gone downhill incredibly. They seem like they stock nothing but cookie cutter brands, when before they actually had great deals on brand name clothing.[/quote]

Yeah, my sister complains about this a good bit.

Luckily I'm a dude, so screen printed t-shirts and jeans never go out of fashion for me. The most I really have to avoid is the rack of "grinded up" khakis and jeans with holes in the knees they apparently think sell. I'm also lucky I'm a 29 waist and a small/medium shirt size, as they're stock usually lasts longer.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah, my sister complains about this a good bit.

Luckily I'm a dude, so screen printed t-shirts and jeans never go out of fashion for me. The most I really have to avoid is the rack of "grinded up" khakis and jeans with holes in the knees they apparently think sell. I'm also lucky I'm a 29 waist and a small/medium shirt size, as they're stock usually lasts longer.[/QUOTE]

I stick to men's T-shirts due to the fact that I am extremely hard to fit. I can pick up a women's shirt in the largest size the store carries (usually 3x or something like that) put it on and STILL the arms will be too short for me while the shirt in the body is obviously much too large. I have very long arms. Yet when I buy men's shirts an XL t-shirt fits every time, except for the plain ones which tend to run larger and then an XL becomes too big. Mens screen-printed shirts also work well for women and they never go out of style, I have tons of video game shirts and some are over 10 years old and they are still in great condition.

Due to the fact that no one is buying clothes in this area because everyone is so poor I keep running into huge racks of $6-10 womens jeans, I have so many pairs of jeans right now that its probably a 3-4 year supply, I really don't need to buy anymore.

I used to buy womens Izod jeans from Bon Ton, I paid about 12$ per pair but they would last for years. Well when they were 12$ a pair I bought about 4 pairs in my size in different Bon-Ton stores. I only have one pair left now and I wish I could get some more because I like the jeans, not that I can't pick out other jeans that I like because there are so many cheap pairs of jeans available here but I really like the Izod ones, they are just perfect. But Bon-Ton doesn't carry them anymore, instead they have a house brand of jeans which sucks and is expensive.

The sad thing about Bon Ton is now there really isn't anyplace to get quality (decent) womens clothes for work around here anymore, you have to buy Kmart, Walmart, Target or Sears or travel further out to get to the better stores, and even then Macy's still sucks worse than ever, needless to say all of my mom's clothes and my clothes have started to come from yard sales and thrift stores, especially when I have a thrift near me that charges 3$ a bag for clothing each weekend and they have better stuff than the retail stores do.

[quote name='SaraAB']I stick to men's T-shirts due to the fact that I am extremely hard to fit. I can pick up a women's shirt in the largest size the store carries (usually 3x or something like that) put it on and STILL the arms will be too short for me while the shirt in the body is obviously much too large. I have very long arms. Yet when I buy men's shirts an XL t-shirt fits every time, except for the plain ones which tend to run larger and then an XL becomes too big. Mens screen-printed shirts also work well for women and they never go out of style, I have tons of video game shirts and some are over 10 years old and they are still in great condition.

Due to the fact that no one is buying clothes in this area because everyone is so poor I keep running into huge racks of $6-10 womens jeans, I have so many pairs of jeans right now that its probably a 3-4 year supply, I really don't need to buy anymore.

I used to buy womens Izod jeans from Bon Ton, I paid about 12$ per pair but they would last for years. Well when they were 12$ a pair I bought about 4 pairs in my size in different Bon-Ton stores. I only have one pair left now and I wish I could get some more because I like the jeans, not that I can't pick out other jeans that I like because there are so many cheap pairs of jeans available here but I really like the Izod ones, they are just perfect. But Bon-Ton doesn't carry them anymore, instead they have a house brand of jeans which sucks and is expensive.

The sad thing about Bon Ton is now there really isn't anyplace to get quality (decent) womens clothes for work around here anymore, you have to buy Kmart, Walmart, Target or Sears or travel further out to get to the better stores, and even then Macy's still sucks worse than ever, needless to say all of my mom's clothes and my clothes have started to come from yard sales and thrift stores, especially when I have a thrift near me that charges 3$ a bag for clothing each weekend and they have better stuff than the retail stores do.[/quote]

Yeah. I buy most of my jeans at thrift stores as most guys hit 29x30 or 29x32 for about six months to a year before outgrowing them, so I get name brand ones (Levi's, South Pole, Tommy, etc.) for next to nothing.

Oh and does anyone know if Value City is still around? I'm pretty sure they're fairly regional, but the one around here closed. They had a great clothing section too and woul run some good 90% off sales. I snagged a pair of $50 designer jeans with dragons on the butt pockets for $1.50 that are probably the best fitting pair of jeans I own, since I retired my first pair of Goodwill South Pole jeans.

[quote name='pyoobez']

Oh and does anyone know if Value City is still around? I'm pretty sure they're fairly regional, but the one around here closed. They had a great clothing section too and woul run some good 90% off sales. I snagged a pair of $50 designer jeans with dragons on the butt pockets for $1.50 that are probably the best fitting pair of jeans I own, since I retired my first pair of Goodwill South Pole jeans.[/quote]

I think Value City went out of business as a whole a little while back. I haven't been down to Hazleton in forever, but someone told me that they closed up about a year ago or so. It's a shame really, since they reminded me ALOT of Ames/Hills with their prices and merchandise. The only thing that sucked was that they didn't have a spectacular electronics section, which is the main thing I look at in many stores anymore, since I'm finding more and more clothes that I'm finally able to fit in again in my closet.

I'm getting alot of exercise as of late, so even my normal jeans(I usually wear the kind from the King Size catalog)are fitting loose anymore.

[quote name='pyoobez']
As mentioned, I'm surprised Dick's is still open. It's the ultimate "look and go elsewhere" place.[/QUOTE]

I work there and its amazing how people will come in and drop $200-300+ on one purchase. I've seen people spend hundreds on Under Armor stuff alone. They won't be closing anytime soon.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think Value City went out of business as a whole a little while back. I haven't been down to Hazleton in forever, but someone told me that they closed up about a year ago or so. It's a shame really, since they reminded me ALOT of Ames/Hills with their prices and merchandise. The only thing that sucked was that they didn't have a spectacular electronics section, which is the main thing I look at in many stores anymore, since I'm finding more and more clothes that I'm finally able to fit in again in my closet.

I'm getting alot of exercise as of late, so even my normal jeans(I usually wear the kind from the King Size catalog)are fitting loose anymore.[/quote]

Yeah. The Value City here lasted until few months ago. I know there were bigger stores in Harrisburg, etc. My mom got me a swank Ninja Turtles full bed sheet set for $5 after all the rebates. But yeah, the electronics was hit or miss. My dad got a TV for my gram there once that was really nice, she only got rid of it because of her eyes when she wanted a bigger one. I also picked out my sister an Apex DVD player a few years back that was amazing (it seemed to skip over everything, even the FBI warnings)

I picked up a few video games there from time to time like Fight Night for $5.

I do miss Ames though, but I never had one in the area where I grew up. So the ones I had been to were all pretty much ones that were closing.

Ah well, there's always Ollie's, although on my last trip they had no video games in stock. I still buy all my power cords there, though, and the occassional cheap DVD.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah. The Value City here lasted until few months ago. I know there were bigger stores in Harrisburg, etc. My mom got me a swank Ninja Turtles full bed sheet set for $5 after all the rebates. But yeah, the electronics was hit or miss. My dad got a TV for my gram there once that was really nice, she only got rid of it because of her eyes when she wanted a bigger one. I also picked out my sister an Apex DVD player a few years back that was amazing (it seemed to skip over everything, even the FBI warnings)

I picked up a few video games there from time to time like Fight Night for $5.

I do miss Ames though, but I never had one in the area where I grew up. So the ones I had been to were all pretty much ones that were closing.

Ah well, there's always Ollie's, although on my last trip they had no video games in stock. I still buy all my power cords there, though, and the occassional cheap DVD.[/quote]

You know what's weird, is that I somehow haven't dragged the family down the new Goodwill store down in Hazleton area as of yet. It's been there almost two years now, I think, and I have yet to get there myself.

Mind you, they're probably putting anything worthy of being auctioned up on the ShopGoodwill site, so it'd be a wasted trip.

There's not one single Goodwill up around here(Scranton/Wilkes-Barre anymore), though we did get in a Volunteers Of America one a while back.

Value City went belly-up a few months ago and closed all their stores (I think it was announced the same day Linens & Things announced they were going out of business), but interestingly enough Value City Furniture is still around. Must be a separate entity.

[quote name='namtrahj']Value City went belly-up a few months ago and closed all their stores (I think it was announced the same day Linens & Things announced they were going out of business), but interestingly enough Value City Furniture is still around. Must be a separate entity.[/quote]

Ah, that makes sense. I remeber hearing about Value City afterwards, so it must've been the Furniture. I know when they cleared out, they even took the lettering down from their sign.

VCF sounds sorta cool, although the Value City here was right next to a furniture store.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Is it south of pittsburgh? I use to live by Ross Park Mall but went down that way alot to visit an ex :)[/quote]

I think. I never bothered to check out where Century III Mall was located at the time, although I know that the first bus I had to take took me out to Homestead. After that I had to wait a while for the transfer. I must admit, between Homestead and Century III Mall it was an afternoon and early evening of dead stores, sullen faces, and an overall depressing vibe!

Ah, Value City Furniture...used to hear ads for them all the time back in Indiana.

[quote name='pyoobez']Ah, that makes sense. I remeber hearing about Value City afterwards, so it must've been the Furniture. I know when they cleared out, they even took the lettering down from their sign.

VCF sounds sorta cool, although the Value City here was right next to a furniture store.[/quote]

Further confirmation that Value City closed up as a chain a short while ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_City

Dell isn't too far behind in this race if if they keep making business decisions like this one in our current economy.

One of the most expensive ad campaigns ever?

Launching a $2,000 system when under $500 netbooks are the big thing (fuck, I got my fullsize laptop for under $500 on black friday - except for the idea of a gaming system, I couldn't imagine spending more than $600!)

Proud to receive it as an anniversary gift? wtf!?

Most things I saw at Value City Furniture were the same items I saw at Big Lots for less... Never had either chain down here

The only time I've ever been to Value City Furniture was last fall when I was in the market for a TV stand and they were not cheap at all. I'd imagine they might have been less expensive than Ethan Allen or Ikea or other big names but it definitely wasn't the high discount stuff I was expecting. It seemed like a typical furniture showroom to me. Big Lots was definitely cheaper but had a dramatically smaller selection.

bread's done
Back