What did you think of these games?

muppetlove

CAG Veteran
I'm not sure which games I want to play next for the PS2. What did you think of these?

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean till the end of time

[quote name='muppetlove']I'm not sure which games I want to play next for the PS2. What did you think of these?

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean till the end of time[/quote]

ICO- Great Game.
Rouge Galaxy- Decent Game
Never Plyed LoD, but I heard its awful.
BG:DA- Decent
FF9- Really Good. Second Best PS1 FF.
SoTC- FanfuckingTastic.
SO3-.......... thats all I can say.

[quote name='muppetlove']I'm not sure which games I want to play next for the PS2. What did you think of these?

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus

ico and shadow of the colossus are both awesome ( and the only 2 games of your list ive played). ico doesnt have the replyability that shadow of the colossus do but theyre both worth owning and playing. ico to me is what zelda boss battles should aspire to .

ive wanted to play FF9 for a while now but i never got around to it and dont know if id have the patience for it now.

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are generally considered to be videogame classics, so you can't really go wrong there!

I can vouch for Ico and SotC.. though I don't really play RPGs so I can't comment on the rest of your list

Ico - Fun game with extraordinary art design.

Shadow of the Colossus - Even better in both regards. It's one of those games that will raise your standards for gaming, it's that good.

As for the others? I don't care about RPGs anymore, so can't say...

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time is really great. I don't care what anyone says, it's one of the 5 best games last gen. The characters are just so lovable, battle system was super fun, story was good (with some sad moments), soundtrack was great, and graphics were good at the time. The game is very long too.

I'll just put on my flame suit and say that I didn't enjoy SotC (although 99% of other CAGs cream their pants over this game...)

I'd personally go w/ ICO

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Star Ocean: Till The End of Time is really great. I don't care what anyone says, it's one of the 5 best games last gen. The characters are just so lovable, battle system was super fun, story was good (with some sad moments), soundtrack was great, and graphics were good at the time. The game is very long too.[/quote]

Seconded.

I also loved ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Dark Alliance is fun if you've got a buddy to play with.

I was very disappointed with FFIX, Legend of Dragoon, and Rogue Galaxy. As much as I wanted to like them, I couldn't connect with the characters or stories.

ICO = fantastic, buy now
Legend of Dragoon = didn't keep my interest
Final Fantasy IX = loved it, not my fave FF, but darn good
Shadow of the Colossus = not as good as Ico, IMO, but still worth playing

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean till the end of time[/QUOTE]

ICO = best PS2 game.
Rogue Galaxy = never played.
Dual Hearts = never played.
Legend of Dragoon = I'll admit that I played this after such masterpieces as Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story, but still, the game felt like the perfect example of pretty graphics with no substance.
BG Dark Alliance = pretty fun hack and slash.
FFX = fail, the death of classic FF and the birth of whiney bitch FFs.
SotC = really good but honestly, it was nowhere near as amazing as ICO.
Star Ocean TtEoT = BORING.

I'd say play ICO and then SotC... then it's pretty much a coin toss.

All great except Dual Hearts and FFIX which I've never played.

As far as what to play next, if you're looking for a longer game go with Rogue Galaxy, it's awesome. If a shorter one go for Shadow of The Colossus.

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean till the end of time[/QUOTE]

Can only comment on a few I've played.

Rouge Galaxy - Miserable. Great art direction, but story is complete crap.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Well done hack and slash. Recommended.
Final Fantasy IX - Second best FF on PS1. It's reminiscent of older FFs.
Shadow of the Colossus - Masterpiece.
Star Ocean till the end of time - The twist killed this game for me, otherwise it's decent.

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus

I HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY OF THESE! O_O

ICO
Rouge Galaxy
Dual Hearts
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean till the end of time

I'd play Ico first, but here's my order.
1. Ico - Relatively quick but incredibly awesome
2. FFIX - Best FF since VI. Long game though.
3. Dark Alliance - Awesome hack 'n slash. I didn't play I, but I played II & the Norrath Series. Doubt it's much different.
4. Star Ocean - Star Oceans Star Ocean. Awesome game.
5. Rogue Galaxy - Never played but heard good things.
6. SotC - Like Ico IMO, but not as good.
7. Legend of the Dragoon - Despite a lot of people ripping on this game, it's mechanically it's one of the best "j"RPGs ever. Thing is, it's a wRPG and the bad thing about it is the plot. The battle systems amazing, one of the best battle systems ever (Similar to Shadow Hearts / Magical Starsign). The game is one of the longest you'll ever play. I think it's a little longer than P3:FES even. I easily had 160 hours of gameplay on it. But be prepared, the plot isn't that good, and the charm of jRPGs with Japanese culture isn't there. It's trying to be a jRPG but just cant do it. Nonetheless, it's a beautiful game and one of my favorites -- minus the plot.

Never played Dual Hearts. Can't say anything about it.

I don't have strong opinions about most of those games but I will say this about Final Fantasy IX: It is the most pedestrian, least interesting game in the whole series. It is JRPG-by-numbers, but without the charm and flair of a Dragon Quest game. While some might call other games in the series failures (II, VIII, or X-2, for instance), at least they are fascinating failures that took chances with the series' conventions. I really don't know what people see in IX.

bread's done
Back