What do I need to do to make my laptop a windows media center

JSK414

CAGiversary!
As the title says... I am wondering how to make my Laptop a Windows Media Center computer. I bought a OEM of windows media center... But I think just plopping that on wont give me the experience of a media center. The laptop I am talking about is a eMachines M6811... Its great but it has windows home edition on it right now.

The real question is how does my laptop differ from the media laptops and what would I need to buy to make it 100% compatible with windows media center... Could I buy this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...=ULT31664&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1141L

This would give me PVR and remote functionality and I know thats a important aspect of windows media center...

Any help on this subject would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

[quote name='JSK414']As the title says... I am wondering how to make my Laptop a Windows Media Center computer. I bought a OEM of windows media center... But I think just plopping that on wont give me the experience of a media center. The laptop I am talking about is a eMachines M6811... Its great but it has windows home edition on it right now.

The real question is how does my laptop differ from the media laptops and what would I need to buy to make it 100% compatible with windows media center... Could I buy this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1071020&sku=ULT31664&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1141L

This would give me PVR and remote functionality and I know thats a important aspect of windows media center...

Any help on this subject would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.[/quote]

The link you posted is to RAM. And that RAM is not even compatible with laptops.

First of, what are you trying to do specifically? What aspect of Windows Media Center Edition do you really want?

Also, if you can run XP you can run MCE.

lol... I posted the wrong link... I meant to post a PVR thing... not the ram... I want all the goodies of MCE... Especially the xbox360 experience :D

I really don't understand exactly what you want. dtarasev already told you you can run Windows Media Center on any machine that can run XP Home. What else do you need? It's just another version of Windows, it's like asking what you can do to make your experiance more like XP Pro or something.

I know the question is worded strangly it was like 1:30 in the morning when asked. I just want to know is there anything needed to make my laptop a MCE machine that is fully compatible with all the MCE to xbox360 features. Not sure if that helps any... But thanks.

Any PC that can run XP will pretty much run MCE. MCE just lets you do more IF your computer has the media capabilities (like to use a PVR). And I don't think a laptop would be best suited as a MC computer... MC computers usually have some rather capable hardware specifically designed for MCE and that's usually not found in mid/low end laptops (or even some high end ones).

Turning your laptop into a MCE machine is a bad idea. First off, laptops suffer from generally lower system specs and hard drive space, both of which are very important to running some of the features of MCE. Second, I imagine it would be hard/expensive to find a laptop-compatible TV tuner card and to have it installed.

My laptop is running a amd 64 3500+ with about 1.2gb ram a raedon 9600 pro mobility and some oither nice specs for a laptop... also I saw a PVR for laptops that go right into the laptop exspansion slot (no installation necessary) at tigerdirect for about $45 AR, on special ends tomorrow. Thats why I was asking about this.

bread's done
Back