What do I need to make my tv display in HD and for the best price?

JSK414

CAGiversary!
Ok so I just got the Olevia 26inch LCD HDTV and am loving it. It does not have a hd tuner however, and I am a HDRetard. I will not be getting a tuner from my cable company because I just have basic cable and not digital. What do I need to buy (at the best price) to get shows that say "presented in HD where available" such as most fox shows... All NFL broadcasts... etc... to actually be displayed in hd? Sorry if this is a simple question but I am dumb... but I am also requesting the best deal on said item. Thank you all.

I don't really know too much about HDTV, but it might help some people to know what cable provider you currently have and also the other cable providers in your area, to help you get the best deal.

We only get Comcast or DirectTV in Pittsburgh, I think. I know you'll definately get Comcast from Philly.

Yeh thats about our only choice... Soon verizon will offer cable too... But thats not what I am asking I am just asking what I need to purchase to receive over the air HD broadcasts... and the cheapest price to get this item. Thanks for the response.

To my last post... I want over the air hd broadcasts but while I am using basica cable. I guess what I am trying to figure out is how to get HD through the coaxial cable for things mainly like football NFL games.

[quote name='JSK414']To my last post... I want over the air hd broadcasts but while I am using basica cable. I guess what I am trying to figure out is how to get HD through the coaxial cable for things mainly like football NFL games.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can't. If you're going through coaxil...you're gonna get some shiity picture. Its gonna be even shittier on a LCD screen vs. a FlatTube.

There is over the air HD channels...but they will not look like HD due to the fact that you are using Coaxil and not even AV cables. Does youre TV support HDMI? If so, get an upconverting DVD players...DVDs look GOOD!

If it's only HD Ready and has no tuner at all built in, then you will still need to buy an HD tuner, even to get over-the-air HD signals. Unfortunately they are still pretty pricey, but usually you can find a decent one that's been refurbished for around $200 or under.

So to watch NFL games in HD which they are presented in I will have to get a tuner? Is that just for over the air? I don't get good pickup at my location for broadcasts so I have basic cable.

Yeah you will need an HDTV tuner. I got this one from Computergeeks:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LST-3510A-R&cpc=SCH

Its a HD tuner / DVD player and it will upscale DVDs over DVI connection. It works great, but it does not come with an antenna so you will also have to buy that (20-40 bucks).

I have also heard that if you buy an activated VOOM receiver it will also work as an HDTV tuner. VOOM was subscription HDTV service that is no longer in business, but the receivers can still got over the air HDTV broadcasts. You can find them for $60-100 bucks on ebay.

I think I have the same tv as you and it does not support HDMI, (is yours the LT26HVX?).

[quote name='JSK414']So to watch NFL games in HD which they are presented in I will have to get a tuner? Is that just for over the air? I don't get good pickup at my location for broadcasts so I have basic cable.[/QUOTE]

To get Over the Air HDTV broadcasts you WILL need a Tuner. Either a Built in Tuner ( Which you dont have ), A HD Tuner from your cable company ( Which you don't want to get ), or buy a seperate HD Tuner which will run ya around $200.00-$300.00. Once you have any of those 3 then all you'll need is an external antenna to recieve HDTV Local Over the Air Broadcasts.

I bought an hdtv tuner this past weekend. It was on clearance at walmart and made by US Digital. After hooking it up (with a 45db gain antenna) I was able to get 1! channel. Even then it was very spotty and broke up quite often. One channel broadcasts in this area. You may want to take that in to consideration as well.

Your best bet is to get the box from your cable company and get hd through them. I returned my box and antenna.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I bought an hdtv tuner this past weekend. It was on clearance at walmart and made by US Digital. After hooking it up (with a 45db gain antenna) I was able to get 1! channel. Even then it was very spotty and broke up quite often. One channel broadcasts in this area. You may want to take that in to consideration as well.

Your best bet is to get the box from your cable company and get hd through them. I returned my box and antenna.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 channels around here lol.

[quote name='encendido5']http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006FXR9/sr=8-1/qid=1152631019/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1985816-6287862?ie=UTF8

there's the antenna, but as some have said, you're going to need a tuner. I looked this stuff up when I was trying to do the same, but gave up once I found out I would only have a couple of HD channels to watch.[/quote]

You can also check your local stores. I was able to get a 45db powered antenna at walmart for $24.97 made by phillips. They had about 10 different ones in stock.

Thanlks everyone, especially ofacto because we have the same tv the experience helps. So I can still leave my coaxial cable in and get basic cable, in addition to the antenna and hdtuner and that will make fox hd but something like comedy central will not. What I am tying to say will the tv know to use the antenna and hd tuner for channels that broadcast it (i.e.fox) and know to use my coaxial basic comcast cable for basic cable channels (i.e. comedy central) Thanks for everything.

Also ofacto, or anyone else that can answer this. How come widescreen movies still cut off like 1/3 of my widescreen tv in black. Isn't the point of widescreen tvs to make widescreen dvds fill the entire screen without having to zoom and loose viewing area? Any help is appreciated.

[quote name='JSK414']Also ofacto, or anyone else that can answer this. How come widescreen movies still cut off like 1/3 of my widescreen tv in black. Isn't the point of widescreen tvs to make widescreen dvds fill the entire screen without having to zoom and loose viewing area? Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

A widescreen tv is 16:9 (about 1.8:1) ratio, but many movies are shot in 2.35:1, so when you watch them on your tv there is still some letterboxing. Many tvs have a zoom function that will fill the screen, but this will distort the picture some. The distortion is not as bad as when stretching 4:3 standard def stuff though.

I heard that if you get a HDTV Tuner that supports QAM you can connect to your cable TV coax cable and get any unscrambled HDTV channels they are broadcasting (usually just locals). I don't have cable so I can't test it out.

bread's done
Back