What do you believe in?

Filler2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Id like it if you guys would talk about your religious opinion. After checking the TOS, it appears religion can be discussed, but flaming another persons belief is out of the question, as its dickish and against the TOS.

Ill start: Greek Orthodox Christianity

EDIT: Darth Puma makes a good point - Atheism is a lack of belief system, but I still think a lack of a belief system should be tossed in (as its the same thing as saying "I dont have a belief system" which would also sound appropriate

[quote name='DarthPuma']Atheism isn't a belief system.[/QUOTE]

What I was thinking. It seems weird to say you believe in not believing in something.

ive been in alt of diff churches over the years and had friends of many faiths. in the end id say i swing towards the chrstian faith but technically im not one since i know theres steps i need to take and havent but will someday. i just try to treat people the way id want to be treated thats the best anyone can hope for. speaking of religion you should check out the movie "The Man From Earth" it'll make you think.

I think you should make a distinction between being an atheist and being an agnostic. I don't personally believe God exists, but I can't prove it.

Also, by popular demand:

pastafarian.jpg

[quote name='Scorch']Religion and political beliefs are best kept to yourself.[/QUOTE]

Hell no! (Pun intended.) Those are the 2 things THAT should be discussed here in the USA and I hear nonsense like that. Democracy thrives with vibrant discussion when people put their ideas and beliefs on the table to be dissected and scrutinized. If that makes you uncomfortable, then you need to examine why you believe it what you believe. We have become a bunch of cry baby pussies. In other countries, you see far more discussion of these topics and people don't make these taboo. Americans have been made to be too sensitive and deceived into not discussing what most affects our society. Then we cannot discuss why religion forces itself into wherever it is allowed by what is supposed to be a secular gov't.

[quote name='bvharris']I think you should make a distinction between being an atheist and being an agnostic. I don't personally believe God exists, but I can't prove it.
[/QUOTE]

An Atheist can't either. What do you consider the biggest difference between atheism and agnosticism?

[quote name='rabbitt']An Atheist can't either. What do consider the biggest difference between atheism and agnosticism?[/QUOTE]

This is probably generalizing it a bit, but in my mind agnosticism posits that the truth is ultimately unknowable. Whereas atheism asserts that God does not in fact exist, whether it can be proven or not. Like I said, that is an over-simplification, but you get the idea.

Pastafarian/Cult of Cthulhu. It depends in what way the world is ending in 2012, if it's by zombies, Pastafarian. Cultists turning into fish-people murdering all life as he rises from Rl'yeh, Cult of Cthulhu.

Atheism is a refutation of all religion based on lack of evidence. It does not say that it is impossible for god to exist, but rather that the chances of a god existing are so minute that one would have to be credulous to believe otherwise.

There is this attitude that the atheist is as guilty as the theist or deist of claiming to "know" without sufficient evidence. Bill Maher attempts to dispel this in his film Religulous by taking the stance of overall uncertainty and guarded suspicion.

Yes, while it is ultimately unprovable either way, all signs point to the lack of existence of a god or gods. Agnosticism seems to take the position of the likelihood of god existing to be a coin toss, 50/50. An atheist thinks that the odds are far less in favor of god.

I should also point out that a believer or person of faith also asserts that the truth is ultimately unknowable via conventional means (science) and therefor one must have "faith." This makes it impossible to argue against or disprove, and so impossible to prove. Just one of the many ways the religious make religion an untouchable subject to debate.

I grew up catholic, got a mind of my own, and I am not Athiest.
They almost had me, too, had I not seen my Christmas presents hidden in my parents room one year... :whistle2:k

[quote name='rabbitt']Atheism is a refutation of all religion based on lack of evidence. It does not say that it is impossible for god to exist, but rather that the chances of a god existing are so minute that one would have to be credulous to believe otherwise.

There is this attitude that the atheist is as guilty as the theist or deist of claiming to "know" without sufficient evidence. Bill Maher attempts to dispel this in his film Religulous by taking the stance of overall uncertainty and guarded suspicion.

Yes, while it is ultimately unprovable either way, all signs point to the lack of existence of a god or gods. Agnosticism seems to take the position of the likelihood of god existing to be a coin toss, 50/50. An atheist thinks that the odds are far less in favor of god.

I should also point out that a believer or person of faith also asserts that the truth is ultimately unknowable via conventional means (science) and therefor one must have "faith." This makes it impossible to argue against or disprove, and so impossible to prove. Just one of the many ways the religious make religion an untouchable subject to debate.[/QUOTE]

Well said rabbitt.

I believe in me. For I am the mightiest being in creation, and therefore it doesn't make sense to believe in anything else.

[quote name='rabbitt']An Atheist can't either. What do you consider the biggest difference between atheism and agnosticism?[/QUOTE]

If a person considers himself/herself agnostic, as I do, most often they do not mean that god does not exist, but that there is no way of knowing 100% one way or the other.

This is how I feel, I will never know if god does or does not exist so why should I spend part of my life worrying about it?

However, an Atheist usually says that a god does not exist and gives no chance of there being one.

Every atheist I've ever met would change their mind given verifiable proof of a god existing.

Funny how untouchable religion is, but if Christians found a shred of evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ, it'd be a completely different game and they'd be all over that.

I don't think god exists, but show me otherwise and I'd change my mind. I wouldn't worship him, though. In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of how, if at all, I'd change my lifestyle, since I feel that I am an overall good and well-behaving human being without believing in an all-seeing tyrant.

I would change my mind if there was evidence. I just feel that Religion is made up to make people feel good. To look forward to something. It's like you're all good all year for Santa so you can get gifts :)
Or when you leave your stank teeth under the pillow for the tooth fairy.

It's just something to "live for", I guess. I hate what religion does to people, though.

[quote name='rabbitt']Every atheist I've ever met would change their mind given verifiable proof of a god existing.

Funny how untouchable religion is, but if Christians found a shred of evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ, it'd be a completely different game and they'd be all over that.[/QUOTE]

You think any religious person wouldn't change their opinion if they were given "verifiable proof" that God didn't exist? Your point is asinine because there will never be any proof either way.

"Funny how untouchable religion is..." yadda yadda yadda... I'm sick of this double standard myth. Frankly it's bullshit. Go just about anywhere online and a lot of what you see is Athiest condescension towards religious individuals. It's a two way street.

I would consider myself to be more of a Progressive Christian. Even though I believe God exists, I don't claim to know that He in fact does.

[quote name='Icen']You think any religious person wouldn't change their opinion if they were given "verifiable proof" that God didn't exist? Your point is asinine because there will never be any proof either way.
[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been to a southern baptist church?

[quote name='dustdust']I would consider myself to be more of a Progressive Christian. Even though I believe God exists, I don't claim to know that He in fact does.[/QUOTE]

Do you believe in the divinity of Christ? just believing in a god doesn't make you a Christian.

[quote name='lilboo']I would change my mind if there was evidence. I just feel that Religion is made up to make people feel good. To look forward to something. It's like you're all good all year for Santa so you can get gifts :)
Or when you leave your stank teeth under the pillow for the tooth fairy.

It's just something to "live for", I guess. I hate what religion does to people, though.[/QUOTE]

communist. youre one of those opiate of the masses people huh? all joking aside i can see why people dont believe for me its easy too since ive seen and experienced things in my life that go beyond the norm. but its hard to balance science with religion but faith will carry you through anything.

[quote name='Icen']You think any religious person wouldn't change their opinion if they were given "verifiable proof" that God didn't exist? Your point is asinine because there will never be any proof either way.

"Funny how untouchable religion is..." yadda yadda yadda... I'm sick of this double standard myth. Frankly it's bullshit. Go just about anywhere online and a lot of what you see is Athiest condescension towards religious individuals. It's a two way street.[/QUOTE]

You didn't read all of my posts so, to me, it's clear that you're not looking for an adult conversation. Your first narrow-minded post, combined with your "yadda yadda yadda..." tells me that you don't care to even converse in a civil manner. You may as well not respond to what I'm about to say unless your previous words were satire of the typical religious person.

I said that there is not proof and that there never will be proof on either side of the argument. The incredibly low likelihood of god existing, combined with the overwhelming number of "believers" in America tells me that the religious would still refute evidence or find ways to avert their eyes should it ever come to it.

That said, this is something that no religious person should ever have to worry about facing because your ancestors were fatheaded enough to throw out a preemptive "can't prove god exists, so you can't say the opposite."

Your assertion that the internet is filled with godless bastards is baseless, though I am surprised (and simultaneously relieved) that this many CAGs consider themselves atheists.

Conversely, real life is filled with religious intolerance of every shade. The fatuous, credulous charlatans of every religion are more than happy to pretend that they know what god is thinking, and, indeed, with whom you should share your genitals (and, if you're a male, that the foreskin should be removed).
Here's immorality for you: having a delusion of a great being and making him into a fabricated story from which one can claim to be blessed by so that when at war, he is on our side. From this, we justify racism, slavery, "ethnic" cleansing, a thousand wars, genital mutilation, child abuse, homophobia, xenophobia, and sexual repression, just to name a few. Consider the chance of god not existing, and then who is it that becomes the child abuser, the homophobic, the slave owner, without god to take responsibility?

You misunderstand religious criticism as condescension. It's about damn time we took religion from its man-made pedestal and started inspecting it with a skeptical mind.

If you're not sure where to go after this, it's usually this point in the argument that the religious person asks the atheist where they get their morals from.

That whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger.

I had to complete the quote. To answer seriously, I believe my mind exists. That's all that can be proven, everything else is just assumed.

I've had a bible-thumping, God-fearing homophobe condemn me to hell for not believing in the whole "Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior" story. He told me straight out that I'd be going to Hell because I didn't admit to myself that Jesus died for me, and that he'd pray for me in hopes that if and when I had children, that I'd teach them of the words of Jesus Christ instead of teaching them common fucking sense (mainly centered around my support of same sex marriage, he couldn't understand how I could teach my children that homosexuality was okay).

'Course, he didn't like it one bit when I asked him to save me a seat in Hell since he was an old, hateful man and would likely die long before I would, probably of a heart attack after getting all bent out of shape over something.

Religion seems to cause a lot more problems than it solves. That's likely a narrow minded viewpoint, but it seems I do just fine without trying to live my life according to the teachings of some book written thousands of years ago.

[quote name='rabbitt']You didn't read all of my posts so, to me, it's clear that you're not looking for an adult conversation. Your first narrow-minded post, combined with your "yadda yadda yadda..." tells me that you don't care to even converse in a civil manner. You may as well not respond to what I'm about to say unless your previous words were satire of the typical religious person.

I said that there is not proof and that there never will be proof on either side of the argument. The incredibly low likelihood of god existing, combined with the overwhelming number of "believers" in America tells me that the religious would still refute evidence or find ways to avert their eyes should it ever come to it.

That said, this is something that no religious person should ever have to worry about facing because your ancestors were fatheaded enough to throw out a preemptive "can't prove god exists, so you can't say the opposite."

Your assertion that the internet is filled with godless bastards is baseless, though I am surprised (and simultaneously relieved) that this many CAGs consider themselves atheists.

Conversely, real life is filled with religious intolerance of every shade. The fatuous, credulous charlatans of every religion are more than happy to pretend that they know what god is thinking, and, indeed, with whom you should share your genitals (and, if you're a male, that the foreskin should be removed).
Here's immorality for you: having a delusion of a great being and making him into a fabricated story from which one can claim to be blessed by so that when at war, he is on our side. From this, we justify racism, slavery, "ethnic" cleansing, a thousand wars, genital mutilation, child abuse, homophobia, xenophobia, and sexual repression, just to name a few. Consider the chance of god not existing, and then who is it that becomes the child abuser, the homophobic, the slave owner, without god to take responsibility?

You misunderstand religious criticism as condescension. It's about damn time we took religion from its man-made pedestal and started inspecting it with a skeptical mind.

If you're not sure where to go after this, it's usually this point in the argument that the religious person asks the atheist where they get their morals from.[/QUOTE]

I don't read your posts since you bring nothing really original to the table. If I wanted decent skepticism I'd go read Sagan's "Demon Haunted World" or go listen to James Randi give a talk.

My assertion isn't baseless and dates back to Usenet days.

You entire post is saturated with condescension:
"Fatuous, credulous charlatans"
"It's about this time the religious person... blah blah blah"
"Your ancestors were fatheaded enough"

Yes "my ancestors" did this and that. You ever heard of "our?" I'm pretty sure our ancestors were the same.

"Genital mutilation"
Give me a break please. I suppose getting ears pierced for aesthetic purposes is sensory mutilation.

"The incredibly low likelihood of god existing, combined with the overwhelming number of "believers" in America tells me that the religious would still refute evidence or find ways to avert their eyes should it ever come to it. "
I can speculate too. Europeans never really did accept the heliocentric view of the world did they? They still try and find ways to refute it.

Your view of religion is at best jaded and at worst flat out incorrect. What it shows is you have little maturity when it comes to a discussion on religion and thus resort to the usual
"omgz crusades"
"u cut off ur peen"
"homophobes!!!"
Except you like to jazz it up with some bombastic language.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need to jazz anything up because I don't have to. All that needs to be done is to look into the past to get a glimpse of the horrors that have been committed in the name of religion.

While you're at it, tell the girls in the Middle East that genital mutilation is a joke.

And, Oh My God, I'm using valid examples to demonstrate the terrors of religion. It's "the usual" because it keeps happening.

meitha: Well, I made another choice for everything else - see? And since you suggested so crudely, I dont really feel I need to respect your opinions and change anything...so oh well

I don't know if it's atheism, but I believe in trying to be nice and help out... I don't need a church or some magical fellow in the sky for that.

Where's the box for Satanism?

I'm not really sure which affiliation I'd claim, I've read into several and respect the teachings but not always the methods.

To me it's all the same told in different words. Basically be a decent person, but I'm not afraid I'll go to hell, I'll just die.

reject faith.

REJECT FAITH.

please.

atheism is not the lack of a belief system. to be certain there is no god requires faith. atheism is most certainly a belief system, and it's only slightly more rational than theism. devout faith has no place anywhere, spiritual or otherwise, fuck faith, scourge of progress. reject it in all forms.

[quote name='Koggit']reject faith.

REJECT FAITH.

please.

atheism is not the lack of a belief system. to be certain there is no god requires faith. atheism is most certainly a belief system, and it's only slightly more rational than theism. devout faith has no place anywhere, spiritual or otherwise, fuck faith, scourge of progress. reject it in all forms.[/QUOTE]

So you expect us to take it on faith that faith is bad?

okay let's turn this into a two-step program for the slower members of our audience: (1) learn what faith is, (2) reject faith.

advanced readers may skip to step 2.

[quote name='Koggit']okay let's turn this into a two-step program for the slower members of our audience: (1) learn what faith is, (2) reject faith.

advanced readers may skip to step 2.[/QUOTE]

What about our lord and savior Raptor Jesus, who will save us from the uprising of zombies with his mighty talons? Are you saying reject him and succumb to our new zombie overlords who wish to... eat our tasty.... BRAINS!

[quote name='joeboosauce']Hell no! (Pun intended.) Those are the 2 things THAT should be discussed here in the USA and I hear nonsense like that. Democracy thrives with vibrant discussion when people put their ideas and beliefs on the table to be dissected and scrutinized. [/QUOTE]

The problem here is that you can't dissect or scrutinize religion without looking like an ass to the other person. If you start dissecting a religion you run into questions like: How do you say to someone that believes in god(s) that he/she/they may not exist? Or that their religion preaches tolerance and forgiveness but they're screaming at/killing/hating people because they think differently. What we should all do is listen and accept that the other person thinks differently.

Grew up watching a lot of Super Book but I took away the moral lessons more than "I must believe in Jesus or God or I'm barbaric/evil." Actually I think Jesus existed but I don't believe that he performed miracles or anything; maybe just a good role model. If people believe in a god then shouldn't they allow him to make the final judgement. In the mean time we're all made of flesh and blood so let's try to get along (obviously a world without war or violence is impossible).

I'll go with Taoism but it doesn't consider itself a religion.

Myself, I do think there is something out there. What, not really sure. Take the bible for instance. Can't say I deny any of the stories in there, but a few things don't sit well with me about it. First of all, the stories were written by normal people. How do we know there aren't exaggerations or mistold stories or whatever? But the big thing is, unless I'm mistaken, the first version of the bible is the king james edition. Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there very few people around who could actually translate the scriptures? If that is the case, how do we know King James didn't edit the bible to his liking?

The other thing about religion in general that bothers me is, if there is one true religion, why do we have so many religions? It seems everybody and their brother has a religion or cult or some crap nowadays.

[quote name='Koggit']okay let's turn this into a two-step program for the slower members of our audience: (1) learn what faith is, (2) reject faith.

advanced readers may skip to step 2.[/QUOTE]

I got a simple step program for you:

1) Learn to get a joke.

If that's too hard though, euthanasia may be a quicker program.

[quote name='jngx80'] Or that their religion preaches tolerance and forgiveness but they're screaming at/killing/hating people because they think differently. What we should all do is listen and accept that the other person thinks differently.[/QUOTE]

So we should listen and accept that killing people for having beliefs different than you is the proper and righteous thing to do? BRB, gonna go burn down some religious institutions.

No, I'm really not going to start being a pyromaniac, but hell according to this guy it's the right thing to do.

i know you jest but really i must comment the reason i chose (and love) this avatar is because it makes a somewhat subtle statement about faith -- though i really dont care much about spirituality or religion (when it's not impeding civil rights or starting wars). the avatar is related to religion only because religion is what most people readily identify with faith. the real problem isn't spiritual faith, but faith in every day life and technical/scientific truths. not talking about spirituality: we should all reject faith. faith in the theories of others, faith in the validity of the information given to us, etc, we humans would know much more if we admitted we know so little -- we need to be a race of skeptics, we would be much better off.

i dont mean to sound all preachy or anything... i know faith is human nature, we all have faith and to some extent it's unavoidable, but we should all acknowledge the irrationality and consciously attempt to avoid it.

[quote name='bvharris']I think you should make a distinction between being an atheist and being an agnostic. I don't personally believe God exists, but I can't prove it.

It's impossible to prove a negative. Are you also agnostic towards leprechauns and unicorns? To me, agnostic means you think it's equally probably there could or could not be a god. Atheism, to me, means you believe it's highly probably that there is no god. Not flaming, just adding to the discussion.

bread's done
Back