What do you consider the greatest and most underrated game on the GCN?

Tales of Symphonia. First RPG in a long time I played through multiple times.

Baten Kaitos was underapreciated I think, but I'd say TofS was better.

I know TofS was on PS2 in Japan, but it was not in US, so it counts.

For me it's definitely Baten Kaitos. Great battle system, good characters, tough bosses (Giacomo, Ayme and Folon fight, anyone?), a couple controller-dropping plot twists, and 60-80 hours of quality gameplay...a very nice surprise for a console that didn't really embrace RPG's.

I also second Eternal Darkness. Really unique game, and the first one to ever cause me to question my sanity. Good stuff.

By the way, if remakes are possible to throw in>

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid were both awesome in my eyes.

I think that you are the first person to agree with me that Baten Kaitos was a great RPG.

[quote name='MidnightRain']For me it's definitely Baten Kaitos. Great battle system, good characters, tough bosses (Giacomo, Ayme and Folon fight, anyone?), a couple controller-dropping plot twists, and 60-80 hours of quality gameplay...a very nice surprise for a console that didn't really embrace RPG's.

I also second Eternal Darkness. Really unique game, and the first one to ever cause me to question my sanity. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I think that you are the first person to agree with me that Baten Kaitos was a great RPG.

Same here. This game really is underappreciated. Have you played Origins yet?

[quote name='Rags']
I think that you are the first person to agree with me that Baten Kaitos was a great RPG.[/quote]

[quote name='MidnightRain']Same here. This game really is underappreciated. Have you played Origins yet?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, I was going to pick it up a couple weeks ago but I heard bad things about it. I'll still get it when the price drops though to get my input. If you've played it, is it pretty good?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The battle system is different and I honestly couldn't decide whether I loved or hated it until I was about 12 hours into the game. I was finally used to it at that point (by used to it I mean no longer wishing that the battle system was the same as the first game) and it just got better from there.

At first I really didn't like having each character draw from the same deck, but then I started to enjoy the challenge of building decks that would work for all of them.

A lot of the characters from the first game make appearances (Gibari, Almarde, Giacomo, Geldoblame) and it was neat to see more of the backstory of the first game through that.

Generally I think it's a worthy sequel and if you can get past the changes to the battle system, you'll really enjoy it. Definitely worth picking up.

[quote name='Rags']Not yet, I was going to pick it up a couple weeks ago but I heard bad things about it. I'll still get it when the price drops though to get my input. If you've played it, is it pretty good?[/quote]

[quote name='MidnightRain']I enjoyed it quite a bit. The battle system is different and I honestly couldn't decide whether I loved or hated it until I was about 12 hours into the game. I was finally used to it at that point (by used to it I mean no longer wishing that the battle system was the same as the first game) and it just got better from there.

At first I really didn't like having each character draw from the same deck, but then I started to enjoy the challenge of building decks that would work for all of them.

A lot of the characters from the first game make appearances (Gibari, Almarde, Giacomo, Geldoblame) and it was neat to see more of the backstory of the first game through that.

Generally I think it's a worthy sequel and if you can get past the changes to the battle system, you'll really enjoy it. Definitely worth picking up.[/QUOTE]

Takes place before BK1 in story right?

Yes. It's set twenty years prior to the events of Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

[quote name='Rags']Takes place before BK1 in story right?[/quote]

Eternal Darkness gets my vote, the sanity effect was just well insane o_O besides i thought i was tripping when i would suddenly turn into a zombie, slog through a door and DIE

[quote name='MidnightRain']For me it's definitely Baten Kaitos. Great battle system, good characters, tough bosses (Giacomo, Ayme and Folon fight, anyone?), a couple controller-dropping plot twists, and 60-80 hours of quality gameplay...a very nice surprise for a console that didn't really embrace RPG's.

I also second Eternal Darkness. Really unique game, and the first one to ever cause me to question my sanity. Good stuff.[/quote]

I fuckin hated those fights. Especially Folon..that SOB. But Baten Kaitos? Excellent game.

I definitely concur with all of those saying Baten Kaitos and Eternal Darkness, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned either of the Lost Kingdoms. They weren't as good as BK or ED, but still good in their own right.

Eternal darkness got my vote.. the funny thing was when I first get the game from gamestop.com I didn't know what the hell insanity effect was, and when my character almost die in the beginning the disc stop spinning and causes the game to freeze. I send back for another copy (paid shipping) and told them the reason that the disc was bad...haha... I totally get pawnage... on that game. Hope they'll make a sequal for that game.. ;)

Gotcha Force, easily. Kirby's Air Ride deserves a mention too, just for City Mode multi-player.

As for mutli-platform, I'd probably say Killer 7. I gotta say, if it wasn't for Capcom I would have thought a lot less of the GC.

Well the greatest, most underrated game for me was probably Luigis Mansion...it blew me away and I beat it 10 times at least.

[quote name='Z-Saber']F-Zero GX. No one ever mentions that.[/QUOTE]

I second this. Great, great game but nobody really cared about it.

All of you that said Eternal Darkness are WRONG.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/cube/eternaldarkness

Universal Acclaim Underrated. It's number #8 out of all the gamecube games. Everyone loved it.

The correct answer to this question is ranked #223: Lost Kingdoms. This game is insanely underrated because most people said "What? A CARD GAME? IT SUCKS!" without giving it a shot. Technically it is a card game, but I've yet to hear one compelling reason why its fundamentally different than say a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Instead of equipping weapons and magic, you equip cards that HAVE THE SAME FUNCTION AS WEAPONS OR MAGIC. The graphics and story are functional if not spectacular, and the soundtrack is definately on my guilty pleasure list. People dog it for not being stylish or flashy, but I think the awesome of this game is that its simple and easy to enjoy. There is indeed beauty in simplicity. Enjoy the game for what it is, not what it isn't.

Dave

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I might be the only one, but I really liked Metal Arms: A glitch in the system, for an exclusive I would say Cubivore[/QUOTE]

It's not just you. I ducked in here just to mention Metal Arms, which was a surprisingly balls to the wall shooter: even more so than most of the Ratchet games. It was multiplatform, but the Cube version was probably the best of the three. I know it beat the socks off the PS2 version, but I honestly don't remember if the Xbox version had online for the -- again, surprising dope -- multiplayer.

Killer7

People are split on this game, but I personally enjoyed it. The music and cutscenes are cool, and the story is quite twisted. It's not perfect, but it's definitely worth a play through!

Other than that, like everyone else said, Eternal Darkness.

Luigi's Mansion for an exclusive and Worms 3D for Multiplatform.

I agree with Dave though, Eternal Darkness is a very popular pick for best survival horror game (with RE4) for the GCN. I don't think you can call that underrated. Perhaps underapreicated considering sales...

Pac Man Vs. gets my vote!

No one has really heard of the game and when I pull it out at parties, everyone loves it. Lots of strategy with this game too! The only downfall is that you have to play with 4 players. The AI is pretty stupid. It came bundled with R: Racing Evolution, Pac-Man World 2, and I Ninja. It may be hard to find now, not really sure, but I haven't seen it @ gamestores for a while.

When I first got my GameCube, one great game that many people have forgotten about is XG3 (Extreme-G 3). I can not believe how beautiful the visuals are and the speed of the game. It was a blast to play and totally blew XG2 (Extreme-G 2, n64) out of the water. Totally worth a buy if you can find it!

Some games that got some good review scores on GameCube that many people haven't heard about are Dr. Muto, Aggressive Inline, Disney Sports Soccer, and Scaler

Mario Kart: Double Dash.... Highly underrated.Behind that I'd say Beyond Good and Evil, Day of Reckoning 2, NBA Street 2, and Def Jam: Fight for NY.

Eternal Darkness get's another vote from me, but let's not forget about Metal Gear Solid the Twin Snakes.

Eternal Darkness of course, but here's a few more that people may have passed up:

-Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee (4 player Godzilla fighting! so fun!)
-Zelda 4 Swords Adventures (a 4-player Zelda game with SNES/GBA type graphics!)
-Pac Man Vs (so many drunken nights of college were spent on this game!)
-Pac Man World Rally (fairly recent and REALLY FUN Mario Kart clone)
-Sonic Gems Collection (Sonic R, Sonic CD, and the Sonic Fighting game!)
-Chibi Robo (the most relaxing game EVER)
-Geist (very unique FPS where you play as a ghost and posses objects, people, and animals)
-Starfox Assault (true Starfox sequel with INCREDIBLY fun multiplayer)

[quote name='advancedgamer468']Wow noone else seems to remember how Double Dash was so underrated (7.9 on IGN.... come on... 7.9!)[/quote]Eh, that's about right. Double Dash tried some new stuff, but overall was a steap backwards from 64. DS got it right again, though. :)

[quote name='Gameboy415']Eternal Darkness of course, but here's a few more that people may have passed up:

-Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee (4 player Godzilla fighting! so fun!)
-Zelda 4 Swords Adventures (a 4-player Zelda game with SNES/GBA type graphics!)
-Pac Man Vs (so many drunken nights of college were spent on this game!)
-Pac Man World Rally (fairly recent and REALLY FUN Mario Kart clone)
-Sonic Gems Collection (Sonic R, Sonic CD, and the Sonic Fighting game!)
-Chibi Robo (the most relaxing game EVER)
-Geist (very unique FPS where you play as a ghost and posses objects, people, and animals)
-Starfox Assault (true Starfox sequel with INCREDIBLY fun multiplayer)[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I gotta get Sonic Gems Collection.

bread's done
Back