What do you do with your change$$$

[quote name='neocisco']Finding a use for change hardly makes one poor, just smart enough not to throw away money.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree. I save most my change as well, but do sometimes throw it in the tip jar or give it to a bum.

I just more get annoyed that some assume everyone here is either poor or a cheapass/tightwad in every walk of life.

Wanting to save cash on games doesn't make you poor or a tightwad. I do ok for myself and have no problem spending cash on things I really enjoy and feel are worth the money. Games at or near retail price just don't fit that bill for me anymore.

I keep it in a big metal tin on the top of a kitchen shelf. After 8-12 months, it has completely filled up and is quite difficult to move. I take it to Chevy Chase Bank (a local bank in MD) and dump it in their coinstar-esque machine. They don't charge any kind of fee, even if you're not a customer (though they will try to convince you to join).

[quote name='perdition(troy']cheapassgamer =/= poorassgamer[/QUOTE]Fine.

But to me, being cheap means not spending money I don't have to. I paid for two new games yesterday with an asset that you apparently throw away/consider beneath you.

[quote name='chakan']Fine.

But to me, being cheap means not spending money I don't have to. I paid for two new games yesterday with an asset that you apparently throw away/consider beneath you.[/QUOTE]

That is the definition of being cheap more or less.

But again being cheap with games doesn't mean someone is cheap in general. Most people have somethings that aren't worth spending much money on, and other things they don't mind shelling out for.

Some are just true cheap asses and are always miserly with their money.

Do you all usually use it for games or some other non essential way? Or do you just add it to the money you would spend on any given week? I like to think of it as a little bonus every 4 to 6 months. Usually end up spending it on a treat for my self e.g. games, music or dvds. Also i hate pennies, I usually end up throwing them at my little sister or brother.

Kids piggy bank. I always put my spare coins and bills in her bank weekly. Once the bank is full we cash it in and it goes into savings. Brat has a bigger savings account balance than I do.

I used to put it all in a container and take it to the bank whenever it'd get full (it was typically around $30-40 each time). However, ever since I started putting pretty much everything on my charge card, I rarely get change, so what little I do get usually winds up getting tossed, since it'd take forever to accumulate enough change to even get to $10 these days.

My back pocket has had the same amount of change in it for 4-5 months. Always 4 quarters, 2 nickels, 2 dimes, and 4 pennies for when the fucking gas pump likes to act up and not land on exactly $20.00. Nobody ever needs more than 4 pennies.

I usually put my change in an old-fashioned glass milk bottle. It's not very full. I use a debit card for everything.

[quote name='$hady'] I've been wanting to get one of those big ass jugs like for office water coolers to really save up some change!.[/QUOTE]

And spend it all on chiropractor bills when you try to carry that shit to a Coinstar? ;) Seriously, that would be heavy as fuck if you filled one up.

Most of it I keep for change for vending machines at work (Wal-Mart).

I usually save dimes and quarters in a bank; once I hit around $40 I'll either roll it or go to a Coinstar machine and exchange it out.

I keep it in the ashtray of my car. Once I get a hand full I'll buy something cheap I need like a toothbrush and pay it with all change. It's a lot easier to do this now that most stores have those self checkout lines. I don't use those Coinstar things because they charge a fee.

I would never throw away change because that is still money. This isn't monopoly money we're talking about here. What kind of cheapasses would wastle money like that?

put it in a jar in my desk.
at the end of the year, i'll coinstar it and it usually comes out to be around $50-$60.
i go on this snowboarding trip with my friends around then too so the $50-$60 pretty much pays for the lift ticket and etc.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']This. Change is for poor people.[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

I mainly do it so that homeless people can't get to it.

I first inspect my change for pre-1965 coins made of silver and anything else unusual such as a wartime nickel or buffalo nickel. I have never in my life found a quarter or dime minted prior to 1965, and rarely find wheatback cents minted prior to 1959.

After my inspection, I sort the quarters into a special piggy bank which I reserve for laundry and dump the non-quarters into a seperate bank. I always keep plenty of spare change in my car just in case I run into a toll way or need emergency money for gas or something. I make sure to have plenty of quarters in my car.

Whenever I get dollar coins (which I don't think I've ever gotten through circulation), I keep them with my quarters. I don't think I have encountered a Sacagewea or Presidential dollar coin through circulation yet. I only get these by special request.

I keep my half cents, large cents, Indian Head cents, two cent pieces, three cent pieces, shield nickels, Barber coins, twenty cent piece, bust coins, seated liberty coins, standing liberty quarters, mercury dimes, silver dollars, and gold coins (double eagles, eagles, half eagles, quarter eagles, civil war gold dollars) in the bank's safety deposit box. Some of those are hard to come by and I prefer to keep them in a safe place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercury dimes? I've never heard of those before. I'll like to know how many people those things killed before we switched to a safer metal. And I've never received a gold dollar coin just from normal circulation either.

Ok I just read the (surprisingly long) Wiki article about the dime. I guess it wasn't made partly of mercury afterall. I've seen dimes with a wreath design before but didn't think anything of it. I probably just exchanged it for $.10 worth of goods and services.

I've gotten the dollar coins from vending machines in parking garages etc. that give them for change rather than spitting bills back out.

I don't like them as I don't like carrying change around, they won't work in most parking meters etc. So they tend to end up in a jar to go to a coin machine or to a tip jar or homeless person.

This thread motivated me to take my change to the supermarket and change it. $41.10 in Amazon credit and thats without quarters. Of course I jammed the machine because 2 pennies were stuck together. The lady that came to fix it was surprised to see me pick Amazon. She said she never sees people pick gift cards.

[quote name='cletus']Mercury dimes? I've never heard of those before. I'll like to know how many people those things killed before we switched to a safer metal. And I've never received a gold dollar coin just from normal circulation either.

Ok I just read the (surprisingly long) Wiki article about the dime. I guess it wasn't made partly of mercury afterall. I've seen dimes with a wreath design before but didn't think anything of it. I probably just exchanged it for $.10 worth of goods and services.[/QUOTE]

Good job for doing some research. Old coins really do have an interesting history. Regarding the dime you spent with a wreath, those are known as 'Barber Dimes', or the case of even older dimes, they are known as 'Seated Liberty' dimes. From 1892 to 1916 the mint made Barber dimes and seated liberty dimes prior to 1892.

Most Barber dimes are worth about a dollar in average circulated (worn-down) condition, but can be worth much more if in brand-new condition. I have a Barber dime worth $325 because it is in really nice condition with no signs of wear. It has the same wreath you described.

If you ever find one again, be sure to save it.

I save it for a month in some small Tootsie Roll banks, and then take it to Coinstar and use it for an Amazon gift code that basically acts as my DVD budget for the next month.

[quote name='steve_k']I first inspect my change for pre-1965 coins made of silver and anything else unusual such as a wartime nickel or buffalo nickel. I have never in my life found a quarter or dime minted prior to 1965, and rarely find wheatback cents minted prior to 1959.

After my inspection, I sort the quarters into a special piggy bank which I reserve for laundry and dump the non-quarters into a seperate bank. I always keep plenty of spare change in my car just in case I run into a toll way or need emergency money for gas or something. I make sure to have plenty of quarters in my car.

Whenever I get dollar coins (which I don't think I've ever gotten through circulation), I keep them with my quarters. I don't think I have encountered a Sacagewea or Presidential dollar coin through circulation yet. I only get these by special request.

I keep my half cents, large cents, Indian Head cents, two cent pieces, three cent pieces, shield nickels, Barber coins, twenty cent piece, bust coins, seated liberty coins, standing liberty quarters, mercury dimes, silver dollars, and gold coins (double eagles, eagles, half eagles, quarter eagles, civil war gold dollars) in the bank's safety deposit box. Some of those are hard to come by and I prefer to keep them in a safe place.[/QUOTE]

Just found a 1964 Quarter. I'm checking now, thanks to you.

I've saved all my pennies for years and years now.... the only problem is they weigh a little bit more than 200lbs. It's also a water jug without any handles so it is pretty hard for me to move. I'm also afraid to move it because if its falls and breaks, breaks something else, etc.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Get the Amazon gift certificate, then they don't take anything. I save my change in a jar specifically so when I find a good deal at Amazon, I take the change to the Coinstar and get the certificate. I usually have enough to get the free shipping, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, turn my change into Amazon money. Amazon is a great place to blow money since it's usually cheaper then B&M. I often collect my change till I have about $100 then use the amazon credit to take a dent out of a big purchase.

I put it in this huge plastic 20oz bottle shaped thing. I actually counted it a couple weeks ago and had about $200 in change.

[quote name='chakan']Just found a 1964 Quarter. I'm checking now, thanks to you.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the edge of your 1964 quarter. Notice how it is a silver color? Now compare it to the edge of a regular quarter. Notice how it is half a silver color and half a copper color?

Your 1964 quarter (or any quarter or dime minted 1964 or earlier) is made of 90% silver and 10% copper and is worth a few dollars. If you want to sell it, find a bullion exchange shop or coin shop, but be careful as these guys are notorious for ripping people off. Know what you have and you should be fine.

Lucky you!

[quote name='steve_k']I first inspect my change for pre-1965 coins made of silver and anything else unusual such as a wartime nickel or buffalo nickel. I have never in my life found a quarter or dime minted prior to 1965, and rarely find wheatback cents minted prior to 1959.[/QUOTE]

There's several reasons for that... the most notable being the cashiers are probably pulling all the good change out before you get it. I always carry a dollar on me just in case some cool coin comes through when I'm low on my usual 25-50 cents of change. I've personally picked up several silver dimes and quarters (the dimes are way easier to come by), a buffalo nickel, a hundred-yen coin,and more wheatback pennies than you can shake a stick at- I don't even save them anymore. The best one was a penny that looked like it was run over by train a few times... but something about seemed off, so I set it aside closer inscpection when the line slowed down. Turned out to be an indian head penny, minted 1893. That was an awesome find... I know it's in crap condition, but somehow I'm sure it's worth more than the penny it took to buy it out of my till.

The store I work at is a small, low-volume specialty store... my mom used to cashier at the highest volume Safeway in our state. She'd bring home silver coins, Buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, Eishenhower dollars, Susan B. Anthony dollars- the one-time finds included a Peace dollar, Barber quarter, Benjamin Franklin half dollar, and 2 silver certifcate dollar bills.

And for reference, you probably aren't going to get too many president dollars without actively seeking them out, they aren't minting very many. I even sucked it up and pre-paid for the Franklin Mint program, just because I didn't think I'd get them all otherwise.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']There's several reasons for that... the most notable being the cashiers are probably pulling all the good change out before you get it. I always carry a dollar on me just in case some cool coin comes through when I'm low on my usual 25-50 cents of change. I've personally picked up several silver dimes and quarters (the dimes are way easier to come by), a buffalo nickel, a hundred-yen coin,and more wheatback pennies than you can shake a stick at- I don't even save them anymore. The best one was a penny that looked like it was run over by train a few times... but something about seemed off, so I set it aside closer inscpection when the line slowed down. Turned out to be an indian head penny, minted 1893. That was an awesome find... I know it's in crap condition, but somehow I'm sure it's worth more than the penny it took to buy it out of my till.

The store I work at is a small, low-volume specialty store... my mom used to cashier at the highest volume Safeway in our state. She'd bring home silver coins, Buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, Eishenhower dollars, Susan B. Anthony dollars- the one-time finds included a Peace dollar, Barber quarter, Benjamin Franklin half dollar, and 2 silver certifcate dollar bills.

And for reference, you probably aren't going to get too many president dollars without actively seeking them out, they aren't minting very many. I even sucked it up and pre-paid for the Franklin Mint program, just because I didn't think I'd get them all otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I live in a large town (Houston) where there are plenty of coin collectors, and to get anything good I have to go to coin shows were premiums are charged for old coins. I don't think it is necessarily the cashiers who are hoarding all the good coins, but rather everyone else. There are some people who will even special order $1000 in half dollars from banks, sort through them, and pull all the half dollars with any silver content. The best I've ever been able find on my own are wheatback cents from the 1950's or pre-WW2 nickels from the early 1940's (no silver). I've heard it's possible to find some pretty neat coins from mom-and-pop stores in small rural towns in the middle of nowhere because these places cater to old retired people who want to live in a peaceful town. These old people often come across old hoards of coins they think nothing of and spend them.

I throw all my loose change into a large Radio Shack "Enercell" battery tin bank (about 12" high, 4" diameter... it's supposed to look like a battery). It takes me forever to fill it up, about a year or so. When it's full I take it and count the coins at a Coinstar and get an Amazon gift code.

[quote name='its phillip']do coinstars take pennies as well? i've got maybe $80 or so worth of change i wouldnt mind turning into an amazon gift card.[/QUOTE]
Yes! Coinstars take pennies.

bread's done
Back