What Do You Guys Think of This Laptop?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I can get this for a really good price (750-800 or so), and was wondering what some other CAGs thought. Personally, this laptop offers everything I'm after. 17"; check, blu-ray player; check, plenty of ram and what seems like a pretty good processor; check....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

They're out of it online, but stores still carry it, or at least can order one for you.

Also, I don't care to hear about how people don't like this company for so and so reason. I've owned HP, worked on them, fixed them, and I know they're solid computers.

What do you guys think about the specs on this laptop? I believe the processor is pretty solid. I think I've seen a laptop with pretty much the exact same specs, but that has a 1024 MB 8600M graphics card.

OutofStock.jpg

Nope, doesn't seem to look like a computer... :whistle2:k

[quote name='freakyzeeky']
OutofStock.jpg

Nope, doesn't seem to look like a computer... :whistle2:k[/quote]Damn, I wonder where the drive is, That's a sweet Hewlett Pallet...

it comes with 64-bit vista. Be careful since most software do not work with 64-bit vista. You can downgrade it to 32-bit vista anytime, but you won't be able to benefit all 4GB of RAM (32-bit vista can only handle up to 3GB of RAM). Everything else looks good, especially the 512MB dedicated memory for the vid card. You're gonna need this sucker to play games.

I found the specs from slickdeals, but I can get the computer for cheaper:

Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10GHz)
3MB L2 cache
800MHz front side bus
4GB DDR2 SDRAM (both slots occupied)

Drives:
320GB (5,400RPM) SATA hard drive
Blu-Ray ROM with DVD±RW drive Double Layer (in one optical drive)

Graphics & Video:
17.0" WXGA+ BrightView widescreen display; 1440 x 900 native resolution
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GS graphics

Communications:
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN WLAN
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
56K modem

Audio:
Built-in Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard:
101-key compatible keyboard
Touch Pad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad
Two Quick Launch buttons
HP Mobile Remote Control

Personalization:
HP IMPRINT finish offers a smooth, high-gloss coating with a unique, inlaid design which provides greater durability than a traditional paint process
QuickPlay brings your notebook PC to life with the push of a button, without standard boot up, to listen to music or watch DVDs
Integrated microphone and webcam

Expandability:
ExpressCard/54 Slot
5-in-1 integrated digital media reader accepts Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro or xD Picture Card

Ports:
Four USB 2.0 ports
One IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 4-pin
One HDMI
VGA (15-pin)
TV-Out (S-video)
RJ-11 (modem)
RJ-45 (LAN)
Two headphone outs
Microphone in
Notebook Expansion Port 3
Consumer IR

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (64-bit)

Additional Software:
Microsoft Works
Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2008 (60 days complimentary live updates)

Power Supply:
8-cell Lithium Ion Battery
90W AC adapter

Additional Information:
Approximate Weight: 7.7 lbs.
Dimensions: 15.16” W x 11.65" D x 1.57" H

Warranty and Support:
2-year limited hardware warranty
2-year free hardware technical support
Free 1-year software support with product registration (from date of purchase)

Online price
$1,399.99
*Less
-$150.00
YOUR COST
$1,249.99

I am looking for a laptop these days since space in my new house is limited. $800 is right about what I want to spend, and if I could bag something like that, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

If you can get it for around $1000, be a nice desktop replacement, though I would perfer 32-bit instead of the 64.

I thought most programs had, or were in the final stages/process, of updating their software to work on 64 bit? I thought 64 bit was the future.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Vista? automatic FAIL.[/quote]

inexperienced or just afraid of Vista, or just an all around Microsoft hater? There's nothing wrong with Vista.

Personally, I'd prefer something with a 9000-series Core2 for the 6 MB of L2 cache, and the 5400 RPM HDD is kind of a kick in the pants, but overall, it's not bad, if you can really get it for ~$750.

Just realize what you're getting yourself into with the 17" screen -- that's not going to be something you'll want to carry around, to work or class or what have you. If you're getting it as a desktop replacement, that's fine; but in that case, why not just get a desktop?

Also, I want to point out that it apparently has a 56K modem, but no Bluetooth. Talk about living in the past.

I was about to say you were getting ripped off, until I noticed the BD drive. I'd get it, if you want and/or need a BD drive.

EDIT: Whoa...I missed the part about you paying $800 for it. If you don't buy it, I will come to your house and beat you.

[quote name='siderealshift']Personally, I'd prefer something with a 9000-series Core2 for the 6 MB of L2 cache, and the 5400 RPM HDD is kind of a kick in the pants, but overall, it's not bad, if you can really get it for ~$750.

Just realize what you're getting yourself into with the 17" screen -- that's not going to be something you'll want to carry around, to work or class or what have you. If you're getting it as a desktop replacement, that's fine; but in that case, why not just get a desktop?

Also, I want to point out that it apparently has a 56K modem, but no Bluetooth. Talk about living in the past.[/quote]

Cool, thanks! I don't mind the HDD, and I didn't think the 9000s were in laptops yet?

Anyway, I thought about the 17" and what you had to say, but I used to lug around 17" laptops when they had floppys in them, and those things were heavy, so I doubt I'll mind this one much.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I was about to say you were getting ripped off, until I noticed the BD drive. I'd get it, if you want and/or need a BD drive.

EDIT: Whoa...I missed the part about you paying $800 for it. If you don't buy it, I will come to your house and beat you.[/quote]

I second that, lol... good deal with a BD drive in that price range.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']inexperienced or just afraid of Vista, or just an all around Microsoft hater? There's nothing wrong with Vista.[/quote]

I'd rather get a high powered machine to do tasks like CAD/3d Rendering not just to run an OS thanks.

If you can get that laptop for the price range you mentioned, that would be a great deal.

I've been running 64-bit Vista for about 2 months now on my desktop. I have not run into any program incompatibility at all. I've even found drivers for all the hardware I've installed. I tested 64-bit Vista on a notebook that I have that doesn't officially support 64-bit operating systems, and it surprisingly worked. I was able to get the drivers for everything on it as well. I wish Microsoft would do away with this 32/64 bit nonsense, and just go with 64-bit as the sole option. 64-bit is the future.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Cool, thanks! I don't mind the HDD, and I didn't think the 9000s were in laptops yet?[/quote]You might only be able to get them in custom builds, because I'm sure they're very expensive right now. I haven't done a price/spec comparison, but depending on how outrageous the 9000s are, the 8000s might make more sense, in terms of value. Still, I don't understand why Intel gave the 8000s only 3 MB of L2 cache, when the higher-end 7000s had 4 MB.

If you really want to take advantage of all that hardware (and especially if you plan on running PC games or other demanding applications), you might consider upgrading to a 7200 RPM HDD at some point. It's probably the one single upgrade that will actually make a noticeable speed difference.

[quote name='tamno1']it comes with 64-bit vista. Be careful since most software do not work with 64-bit vista. You can downgrade it to 32-bit vista anytime, but you won't be able to benefit all 4GB of RAM (32-bit vista can only handle up to 3GB of RAM). Everything else looks good, especially the 512MB dedicated memory for the vid card. You're gonna need this sucker to play games.[/quote]

Your wrong, 32-bit apps can run on the 64-bit OS, because Vista emulates the 32bit enviroment for 32bit apps

The only issue with 64-bit Vista is that:
a) 64-bit apps take up larger amount of memory because the ptrs are now 64 bits wide instead of 32 bit
b) You'll need to find 64-bit drivers, but since its a laptop you shouldn't have a problem

[quote name='siderealshift']You might only be able to get them in custom builds, because I'm sure they're very expensive right now. I haven't done a price/spec comparison, but depending on how outrageous the 9000s are, the 8000s might make more sense, in terms of value. Still, I don't understand why Intel gave the 8000s only 3 MB of L2 cache, when the higher-end 7000s had 4 MB.

If you really want to take advantage of all that hardware (and especially if you plan on running PC games or other demanding applications), you might consider upgrading to a 7200 RPM HDD at some point. It's probably the one single upgrade that will actually make a noticeable speed difference.[/quote]

I think I've seen the 9000s on a couple of Dell builds I was working on their website, but not really in any standard or really anywhere else. For the price I'm getting this laptop, plus the fact it comes with Blu-Ray (not many have it), I think it makes sense, though you're right on the cache. Hmmm...I thought about upgrading the HDD to 7200, but do you really think it'll affect that much? I've only seen slight speed differences in my 5400 to my 7200 computer. I really only plan playing WoW on this machine anyway...and maybe some older RTSes (I don't even know if some work on Vista, i.e Starcraft/Warcraft 3, etc.) or the new Starcraft 2. WoW should be able to run on this system, right? I've been able to get it to play, though with framedrops and glitches, on an older XP setup with an older gforce card (can't remember the make at the moment). Also, have they mentioned what specs Starcraft 2 will be?

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'd rather get a high powered machine to do tasks like CAD/3d Rendering not just to run an OS thanks.[/quote]

I've gotten CAD to run on Linux machines, not to mention that there are plenty of CAD that can run on Windows fine. Not too sure about 3D rendering, but I've seen Maya setup on XP machines and it did just fine.

One other quick question, I remember writing off the differences between Vista Premium and Ultimate as being unsubstantial, so I don't remember them, but does anyone know what they are? Since then, I have been able to win a free copy of Vista Ultimate at a raffle out here. I'll probably end up putting it on, but I was just wondering.

I think for 750 - 800 this is great and you should jump on it. Those specs should last you several years (but of course sooner rather than later another Crysis will come out that you can't play, but this always happens w/ any pc)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']One other quick question, I remember writing off the differences between Vista Premium and Ultimate as being unsubstantial, so I don't remember them, but does anyone know what they are? Since then, I have been able to win a free copy of Vista Ultimate at a raffle out here. I'll probably end up putting it on, but I was just wondering.[/quote]

I have Home Premium on one system and Ultimate on another and the only real difference is Ultimate has a couple more games, complete pc backup and restore opposed to system restore (I dont know the difference), bitlocker and windows fax.

Sell your copy of ultimate and buy videogames.

OP says: This computer has everything I want, is a brand I trust, and I can get it for about half price.

So wtf is the question?

Useless thread much?

Edit: I would never ever get it because of this:

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Approximate Weight: 7.7 lbs. [/QUOTE]

Although that's mostly due to the size (17"), ew.

This rig will most def run WoW. I have a similar laptop, but the specs on mine aren't as good as that one. My laptop runs WoW very smoothly, except sometimes I get random latency problems...

[quote name='bigtymer']I have Home Premium on one system and Ultimate on another and the only real difference is Ultimate has a couple more games, complete pc backup and restore opposed to system restore (I dont know the difference), bitlocker and windows fax.

Sell your copy of ultimate and buy videogames.[/quote]

Thanks for telling what the difference was again. I guess if that's the case, I might sell it.

[quote name='Koggit']OP says: This computer has everything I want, is a brand I trust, and I can get it for about half price.

So wtf is the question?

Useless thread much?

Edit: I would never ever get it because of this:

Although that's mostly due to the size (17"), ew.[/quote]

I guess I was just after some others opinions on the computer before I hunked down the cash on it. Still, I'm pretty glad with the thread and the overall impressions it gave me. Also, I prefer a bigger screen for this laptop. I'm going to be using it for work/school and it's actually the smallest weight for this size of a laptop. I saw some that were 8+ pounds.....now that is a bit much. I'd just keep a small laptop like I've seen some friends do (mind you this is a very old one, but with a wireless card they added), in the kitchen for when they're cooking and need recipes or just around the house.

bread's done
Back