What do you guys think? Something wrong with this picture???

benfiltness

CAG Veteran
Like New 60GB PS3.

Everything included, cables and controller...

No Box, No Reciept, "Purchased a month ago!" (It was VERY hard to find one of these a month ago)...

$350

Something sounded strange to me, besides the owner.

BEN

It is on Craigslist... stolen came to mind...

Also, is there anything I can check it with?? Have a "Hot" item does nothing for me, in fact it's very dumb, which is why I'm thinking twice...

Also, to add to the dilemma...

Here is the listing..
PS3 Comes with no games 2 really good demos are on it.

PS3 comes with wireless SIXAXIS controller with a USB charger. comes with power cables and video cables. No scratches no dents.

Xbox 360 does not need to come with any games. just hd cables and power supply.
xbox 360 i recommend the hdmi port.

xbox 360 be either Pro or Elite does not matter. pro must have HDMI port.
xbox 360 does not need to come with games.

email me.

When I asked why he was selling it, he said "to pay bills!"

You're dealing with a high value technological item on Craigslist...you're asking for trouble. :)

I'd say pass, it's not worth taking the risk on something that expensive.

~HotShotX

I wouldn't buy it... because the owner [who it got stolen from] could have had it registered, and time you try to go online with it, thats when its lost property found, and you can't get a refund... 350 is a lot of money to gamble with... when for 150 dollars more, you can have a guarantee, a receipt, and piece of mind.

I'd say what the hell and buy it. If it's stolen, don't give him your name and if he gets busted the cops will never find you. Atleast, that's what I'd do for a cheap PS3.

[quote name='Thomas96']I wouldn't buy it... because the owner [who it got stolen from] could have had it registered, and time you try to go online with it, thats when its lost property found, and you can't get a refund... 350 is a lot of money to gamble with... when for 150 dollars more, you can have a guarantee, a receipt, and piece of mind.[/QUOTE]There's no way to get caught if you delete the account first, even then I doubt they can track you. I'm fairly confident they can't tell the system's serial number by signing onto the network, and even then, does everybody really register their system?

And would the cops really go to the trouble to ask Sony to look for a stolen system over their network? They probably aren't even aware it's possible.

And come on, you guys have never had to pay bills before?

Technically, any computer, game system, or anything that goes online can be tracked by it's MAC address. I doubt Sony or anyone else would be willing to look into it for some kid's stolen PS3.

And police aren't all CSI agents that spends weeks on every crime that they come across. That said, no one will come after you if you use a stolen PS3 online.

on the topic of "tracing the stolen ps3 online". The chanes of that happening are so astronomical. Some CAG posted earlier this about their ps3 getting stolen and calling Sony to get it checked online and shit like they and was basically just told boo hoo all around by the police and sony as far "tracing" it online.

[quote name='reiji']Technically, any computer, game system, or anything that goes online can be tracked by it's MAC address. I doubt Sony or anyone else would be willing to look into it for some kid's stolen PS3.[/quote]
Only if the software on the unit uses the MAC address as some unique identifier, ie, when registering, or embeds it INSIDE data packets. And if you're going to use some sort of unique identifier, why not the serial number? That's what people register, so it's much easier to do a single-stage lookup on that rather than a two-stage (matching the MAC with the serial, then the serial with the owner).

From a network perspective, the origin MAC address is gone the moment the packet hits the router.

If you want a PS3 I'd say go for it. The excuse for getting rid of it is good enough, and if you have to pick it up bring a buddy. That's if you're afraid of getting raped, that is.

bread's done
Back