what do you order in a chinese restaurant?

Darwin23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm tired of ordering the same chinese food all the time. walnut shrimp, combination fried rice and beef chop suey. any new suggestions?

Beef Chow Fun is one of my favorites, along with chicken with strings beans in garlic sauce.

Honestly, I generally go with "I'll have the same" and always order second when in a Chinese restaurant. General Tsao's Chicken is about the only thing that I know exactly what it is (and I'm not even sure what parts of the chicken it is).

I love beef with bitter melon. Your average Americanized Chinese restaurant probably won't have it though.

I also like the dish with the really wide flat rice noodles and beef and black bean sauce. Not crunchy noodles, though. I can't remember what it's called. Maybe someone knows.

Good Dim Sum is awesome, if you can find a place near you that has it. I usually get a whole bunch of stuff -- not even sure what everything is called. Lots of potstickers and shrimp wrapped in rice noodle, that kind of stuff. Oh, and congee (rice noodle soup) is good, too.

I always order sweet and sour pork with pork fried rice and egg foo yung so I guess im no help. Unless its chinese buffet, in that case ill try almost one of everything.

Pork Fried Rice
Chicken Fingers
Boneless Spareribs
Pork Lo Mein
Crab Rangoon
Peking Ravioli
Moo Shi (or Moo Shu)
General Gao's Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken or Beef

[quote name='shipwreck']Honestly, I generally go with "I'll have the same" and always order second when in a Chinese restaurant. General Tsao's Chicken is about the only thing that I know exactly what it is (and I'm not even sure what parts of the chicken it is).[/QUOTE]
My favorite and only order.

But that's mostly as I dislike most vegetables, and that's the easiest route, while tasting great.

I usually go to buffets or places where you get 3 or so types of Chinese food, but if you're stuck choosing one, General Tsao's chicken, particularly with broccoli and jabanero peppers, is the shit.

cat.jpg

I'm stupid and should stop posting.

Hell, I even made a stupid post above this one, decided that it wasn't stupid enough, and made this much stupider post.

Tofu with Brown Sauce (sometimes called Braised Tofu) is a good dish to eat w/ white rice. You guys can also try Peking Duck, Sauteed Shrimps with Vegetables, Seafood with Vermicelli in Clay Pot (most clay pot dishes are good because they're not dry and eat good w/ white rice), and Curry Chicken over Rice.

You can always look over people's shoulders and ask for what it is and order it. I'm Chinese and even I do that since I can't remember what all the dishes are called.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'm stupid and should stop posting.

Hell, I even made a stupid post above this one, decided that it wasn't stupid enough, and made this much stupider post.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Beware of Chinese food places next to Veterinarian offices! ;)

General Tso's Chicken
Orange Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Fried Rice
Egg Roll
Egg Drop Soup
Broccoli Beef
Pot Stickers w/ ginger dipping sauce
Cleopatra Chicken

I don't order all of this at once. I just love Chinese food. You can find me eating any one of them.

If the restaurant is Cantonese...

I second the beef chow fun (the dry version without gravy).

Other choices are: Singapore "mei fun" or rice vermicelli. It is like a chow mein with thin rice noodles flavored with yellow curry. Also "Yin-Yang" fried rice, in which half of the order is chicken with a sweet-sour sauce over rice, the other half is shrimp in a creamy white sauce over rice.

Various types of meat over pan-fried noodles is also good.

If you like noodles in soup, that's another option, from wonton to various types of meat with soup base ranging from mild to spicy.

Some restaurants will have two menus - one for the westerners (aka "gwai lo" or "sei yun" menu) and another menu, more authentic version for Chinese. Ask for the chinese menu if you are feeling adventurous.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Sesame Chicken, Orange Chicken, Strange Flavored Beef/Pork[/QUOTE]
i'll second that

beef with broccoli and chow mein are good as well.

on a similar note, i highly recommend thai food in general. i had swimming rama with chicken and a thai iced tea yesterday...like eating dessert for dinner. pad thai, dishes with any combination of curry sauce, coconut milk sauce, or basil.

and one more side note...sushi and tempura. damn, this thread is making me hungry.

There's a place near here with killer Seasame Chicken and Mongolian Chicken, my two favorite foods from anywhere. For anyone in the Seattle area, it's Black Pearl.

What I get differs from restuarant to restuarant though.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Tofu with Brown Sauce (sometimes called Braised Tofu) is a good dish to eat w/ white rice.[/QUOTE]

That's my standard order. A lot of places around here call it "Fried Bean Curd Homestyle" for no good reason. I like to ask them not to deep fry the tofu, but rather just stirfry it with the vegetables. Good stuff.

All these are good:
Garlic Prawns
Orange Chicken
Mandarin Chicken
Hot & Spicy Pork
General Tao's Chicken
Sweet & Sour Chicken/Pork
Garlic Chicken
Potstickers
Chow Mein
Fried Rice
Kung Pao Chicken
Mu Shu Chicken/Pork
Sesame Chicken

That's just of the top of my head, there are probably more good things I've tried.

Find a decent buffet near you and see what you like from that. Or gather some friends together and order a variety of dishes and share them.

If I am at someplace like Panda Express I order the orange chicken and kung pao chicken.

If I am at a hole in the wall Chinese place ordering stuff to go, I usually order a wonton soup and either chicken with broccoli or cashew nuts. (Both of which reheat well, multiple cheap meals!).

Sweet and sour chicken, General Tso's, and sesame chicken are all good, but (like orange chicken) they are deep fried and would probably not reheat well.

[quote name='Deadpool'] [quote name='The Shiznit']Kung Pao Chicken......:hot: :drool:[/QUOTE]^^ What he said![/QUOTE]

^^ What they both said...

I also like to get Moo Shu Pork.

I beg of all of you, don't eat Chinese buffets, there's way too many ways you can get sick.

Unless you like getting the shits.

I don't like chinese food. Every chinese place I go to the food is greasy. Even the highest rated place in my city has greasy, bad after taste, chinese food.

If I do eat chinese food. I get Orange chicken, sesame chicken, or General Tso's.

I usually go Hung su gai (breaded chicken, veggies, light brown sauce), crazy about cashew chicken. My kids are addicted to beef and broccoli. Orange chicken is good, as is sesame chicken, but I order a side of veggies with it. Garlic broccoli and noodles (spicy), and I can't live without the pot stickers.

I'll have a large order of pork fried rice, shrimp and broccoli, a order of steamed dumplings, fried wontons, and an egg roll. Don't forget the duck sauce, please.:D

[quote name='daria19']
If I am at someplace like Panda Express I order the orange chicken and kung pao chicken.
l.[/QUOTE]

Is Panda Express any good?

They just started opening them up all over the place here... curious to see if they would be any good. Oddly enough, they are all located next to brand new Chick Fil-A's.

We used to only have one Chick Fil-A in my city for the longest time, now we have 4 I think, 3 opened in the last year, along with two Panda Express's.

Beat me to it DMK. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Wayne's World. Other than Sum Yung Gai, I usually get sesame chicken or pepper steak.

At my restaurant I always get either sweet and sour pork or chicken, chop suey, pinneapple chicken, or twice cooked pork. With some chinese hot tea to drink and a side of BBQ pork and seed with hot mustard

Always the same:
General Tsao's Chicken with a side of an eggroll or 2. Maybe some shrimp/pork fried rice.

I just don't know what the rest of the stuff is. Actually, I'll be hitting up China town tomorrow for lunch with friends, so mebbe I'll try something new.

Coke w/ grenadine, Crab Rangoons, Tangerine Chicken w/ White Rice. This is what I ALWAYS get when I go to Gingerootz.

[quote name='Roufuss']Is Panda Express any good?

They just started opening them up all over the place here... curious to see if they would be any good. Oddly enough, they are all located next to brand new Chick Fil-A's.

We used to only have one Chick Fil-A in my city for the longest time, now we have 4 I think, 3 opened in the last year, along with two Panda Express's.[/QUOTE]

yes, get the two item combo when you go there and get two orders of orange chicken with fried rice. It is quite possibly the best fast food meal you can get for a shade under 6 bucks.

We used to only have one Chick Fil-A in my city for the longest time, now we have 4 I think, 3 opened in the last year, along with two Panda Express's.[/QUOTE]
Go there immediately. Their orange chicken is a frigin' godsend.

[quote name='Graystone']I don't like chinese food. why you ask cause every chinese place around me all of the food greasy. Even that place that was rated best in the city has greasy bad after taste chinese food.

If I do eat chinese food. I get Orange chicken, sesame chicken or General Tso's.[/QUOTE]
you talk really. Wierd why you ask? by putting Random phrases and, punctuation and also. If you would forget to type words. sometimes>

It's funny how you all tend to mention the same few dishes. You guys should try to branch out more everytime, try something new. There's usually over a hundred different kinds of dishes in a typical Chinese restaurant. If the restaurant is good, then most of the dishes should be pretty good too regardless of what the ingredients are. Orange chicken, seasame chicken, sweet and sour chicken, Kung Pao chicken, broccoli with beef are all American-tailored dishes. I never order those at a Chinese restaurant. Try Peking ducks next time, you'll like it.

They have pretty good food, but it's too expensive for my taste.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']It's funny how you all tend to mention the same few dishes. You guys should try to branch out more everytime, try something new. There's usually over a hundred different kinds of dishes in a typical Chinese restaurant. If the restaurant is good, then most of the dishes should be pretty good too regardless of what the ingredients are. Orange chicken, seasame chicken, sweet and sour chicken, Kung Pao chicken, broccoli with beef are all American-tailored dishes. I never order those at a Chinese restaurant. Try Peking ducks next time, you'll like it.[/QUOTE]

peking duck with hoison sauce is one of my favs

[quote name='dafoomie']Pork Fried Rice
Chicken Fingers
Boneless Spareribs
Pork Lo Mein
Crab Rangoon
Peking Ravioli
Moo Shi (or Moo Shu)
General Gao's Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken or Beef[/QUOTE]

You know, for my 4 years living in Boston (school) I was never for the life of me able to figure out why in Mass: Dumplings = Peking Ravioli. Never seen that anywhere else I'v'e been.

Although I totally miss Chau Chow's Salt n Pepper squid and sizzling beef. That stuff was amazing.

I also can't find many places with Crab Rangoons around here.

Also if you're at a Shanghainese place try out the Soup Buns, or Juicy Buns, which are basically dumplings with soup inside. They're great.

However not everyone makes them well/correctly and sometimes they put like no soup in there or it gets all dry, so try to check it out before you go/try it.

Funniest part is watching all the people who don't know how to eat the soup buns eat them and basically spill soup all over the plate.

[quote name='Greetard']Go there immediately. Their orange chicken is a frigin' godsend.

you talk really. Wierd why you ask? by putting Random phrases and, punctuation and also. If you would forget to type words. sometimes>[/QUOTE]

Sorry, My brain doesn't always tell my fingers the right thing to type. I mess up a lot. I have been reading books on english composition, sentence structures, and punctuation. This is what I get for going to one of the worst public school systems in America. I'm 21 and can't even put together a sentence. What you quoted of me is really bad some of my worse stuff. I read it and said WTF. I was in a rush to leave when I typed that though. I have this problem were I think everyone knows what I'm trying to say.

I mess up when I'm not really paying attention, or in a rush to type. I thank you for being somewhat nice about it though. If you think that quote was bad then you should see my handwriting. :D

Ok I fixed it.

I hope this is better. Like I said I have this problem were I'm self taught in typing, and in a rush plus the fact that I think everyone knows what I'm thinking.

"I don't like chinese food. Every chinese place I go to the food is greasy. Even the highest rated place in my city has greasy, bad after taste, chinese food.

If I do eat chinese food. I get Orange chicken, sesame chicken, or General Tso's."

[quote name='SOSTrooper']It's funny how you all tend to mention the same few dishes. You guys should try to branch out more everytime, try something new. There's usually over a hundred different kinds of dishes in a typical Chinese restaurant. If the restaurant is good, then most of the dishes should be pretty good too regardless of what the ingredients are. Orange chicken, seasame chicken, sweet and sour chicken, Kung Pao chicken, broccoli with beef are all American-tailored dishes. I never order those at a Chinese restaurant. Try Peking ducks next time, you'll like it.[/QUOTE]
That's why I go for the buffet. I can have a little of everything. Not 100s of things...but still a lot of stuff. Chinese Buffets seem to be the only ones that suck a lot (short of a good salad bar).

bread's done
Back