What do you think of Stella???

stocker08

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
What do you all think of Comedy Centrals new show "stella"? I actually think it is pretty funny but then its also very stupid at some parts. What you think?

agreed. The second episode, the election one, was funny. The campaign commercial.

Wants to fix the Roof......................
..........WANTS TO FIX THE ROOF???

[quote name='jmcc']It's exactly the kind of comedy I expect most Americans to like.[/QUOTE]

That post completly confused me...........you like it?

I've liked the members since their days on The State (along with some of the guys on Reno) and I've been pleasently surprised. I was worried it might be disappointing like Viva Variety. They've been doing the 3 man act on tour, though I never got a chance to see them live.

I've seen Stella's live stuff before and really enjoyed it. This new show... not so much. It's been a bit disappointing to me.

At least I still have Reno... :)

I just realized... your question in the poll makes no sense:

What you think? Yes or no... (confused)

This show makes me want to hunt down "The State" and "Viva Variety." If they had this on DVD, I'd blind buy it (never seen either show) just because I really enjoy the actors/actress.

[quote name='thatstoobad']the show is ok, i guess.

the stella shorts are awesome though. my friend owns the dvd. it doesn't seem as though the shorts are available for viewing now that tv show is going on, which is too bad.

seems as though the dvd goes for a good sum on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6411508791&category=617&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
i probably should have thrown down the $20 or so to buy it a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

I guess the cheap copies of this I've seen on eBay are bootlegs.

Did you happen to watch The State or Viva Variety? I'd love to get into those shows, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to obtain/see them.

[quote name='thatstoobad']the show is ok, i guess.

the stella shorts are awesome though. my friend owns the dvd. it doesn't seem as though the shorts are available for viewing now that tv show is going on, which is too bad.

seems as though the dvd goes for a good sum on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6411508791&category=617&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
i probably should have thrown down the $20 or so to buy it a few years ago.[/QUOTE]
damn, they have been doing this crap since 1998.

[quote name='DT778']damn, they have been doing this crap since 1998.[/QUOTE]

Their stuff before the TV show was actually pretty good. I enjoyed their old stuff, just not this TV show.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I guess the cheap copies of this I've seen on eBay are bootlegs.

Did you happen to watch The State or Viva Variety? I'd love to get into those shows, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to obtain/see them.[/QUOTE]
the state probably isn't going to be coming out for a long time, due to all the music they used in those episodes. obtaining the rights to release the songs on the dvd would be super hard and expensive, so i wouldn't hold my breath for an official dvd release. they could always alter the songs, i suppose, but the whole "maybe you should try pants" skit would lose a lot if they used a song other than "cannonball".

there used to be a website that had all the old state episodes for download, but i can't find it. they were very low quality, but it got the point across. it was statemedia.net, but i just tried to go to the website and it doesn't seem to be up. i'm certain you could find other ways to obtain the episodes from the internet.

although it seems a lot of people didn't like viva variety, i remember thinking it was pretty good. i haven't seen it in a very long time, though. i'm not expecting a dvd release of this one, either, just because i don't think it would do all that well. you might be able to find some episodes somewhere online, but they aren't as easily available as the state episodes are.

i found this on imdb, and it reminds me of how much better that the tv show the shorts are: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396880/quotes

[quote name='jmcc']It's exactly the kind of comedy I expect most Americans to like.[/QUOTE]

please tell me that was sarcasm.

(p.s. the show is genius)

This is the only show I watch religiously besides the WWE product. It's some of the funniest stuff I've seen since the Office.

P.S. What the hells with the poll answers?

[quote name='thatstoobad']the state probably isn't going to be coming out for a long time, due to all the music they used in those episodes. obtaining the rights to release the songs on the dvd would be super hard and expensive, so i wouldn't hold my breath for an official dvd release. they could always alter the songs, i suppose, but the whole "maybe you should try pants" skit would lose a lot if they used a song other than "cannonball".

there used to be a website that had all the old state episodes for download, but i can't find it. they were very low quality, but it got the point across. it was statemedia.net, but i just tried to go to the website and it doesn't seem to be up. i'm certain you could find other ways to obtain the episodes from the internet.

although it seems a lot of people didn't like viva variety, i remember thinking it was pretty good. i haven't seen it in a very long time, though. i'm not expecting a dvd release of this one, either, just because i don't think it would do all that well. you might be able to find some episodes somewhere online, but they aren't as easily available as the state episodes are.

i found this on imdb, and it reminds me of how much better that the tv show the shorts are: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396880/quotes[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like the DVD has been stuck forever, from what I've read. I'm glad that they are trying to keep things unaltered. I hate when people half-ass DVDs. I definitely agree that music can play a big part in movies/TV shows.

StateMedia.net was the website that you were referring to, I believe. I was all psyched to be able to finally see The State, and then I found out the website shut down.

Those quotes are great! That's the kind of stuff from them I would laugh at. Good stuff. :)

I am really on the fence right now. I have the urge to hunt down some... (I won't use the B word)... DVDs of The State & Viva Variety so I can see it for myself. I've heard nothing but great things about it, and I love the actors/actress that were/was on it (you can see, obviously from my avatar and sig). You wouldn't happen to know about/have any DVD sets of The State or Viva Variety, would you?

I apologize and understand if my talking about these... DVDs is against the rules. PM me if you have any information and this is against the rules to talk about on these boards.

Decided to go around the internet to look up some Stella stuff. Went to David Wain's site and looked at his video clips. Saw the music video for Cakelike. It looked and sounded pretty good.

Damn! Now I'll have to add Cakelike CDs to my hunt list. I guess it's my weakness for Kerri Kenney.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']please tell me that was sarcasm.

(p.s. the show is genius)[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm? How could you think that? Stella is a well written piece of non-claptrap that never once made me want to retch. It may just be the best comedy since Stacked.

For the most part I thought the show was stupid. Not nearly bad as Mind of Mencia though. MoM is the worst show ever, the only decent part is when he takes something from the headlines kinda like John Stewart does but I think I'll just watch The Daily Show.

[quote name='dastly75']For the most part I thought the show was stupid. Not nearly bad as Mind of Mencia though. MoM is the worst show ever, the only decent part is when he takes something from the headlines kinda like John Stewart does but I think I'll just watch The Daily Show.[/QUOTE]

Woo thank you! The first episode couldn't have made it any more clearer how sucky the show will be (even if it gets better later)...I think he's recycled the same post-9/11 stuff so it just sounds repetitive and more him bitching than a joke.

Mencia had always been just a so-so comic. He's now gotten to the point where he relies on having to insert the U.S. troops into his act for cheap pops.

[quote name='BLarR']P.S. What the hells with the poll answers?[/QUOTE]

You don't know what the answers are for,
yes you hate it
no it sucks
yes you love it
no it doesn't suck.

I like the show a lot I saw some of there stand-up and really enjoyed it. I think its the only "dumb comedy" I have ever liked.

i think the show is awesome as i have stated. All those who oppose shall be shot on sight.

yea, like Greystone said, yes means yes, and no means no. Who would have guessed?

[quote name='jmcc']Sarcasm? How could you think that? Stella is a well written piece of non-claptrap that never once made me want to retch. It may just be the best comedy since Stacked.[/QUOTE]

after using my dictionary to decode your post.........which has quite the double negitives, i didnt not find out that you did like this show???

...........and you think stacked is funny?

Well, my friend made me a copy of their rare OOP Shorts DVD. I'll watch it and see how good it is; hopefully it's as good as their live stuff. If it's good, I'll have to hunt down a real copy of the DVD...

bread's done
Back