What do you think of Wii Sports?

tayaf69

CAGiversary!
I just want to hear your impressions, because after watching the videos it seems like every one of the games could get old within a couple of hours. Here is my arguement...

Example: http://us.wii.com/exp08.jsp - This girl is bowling and every time she bowls with the wiimote she gets a strike or near stirke. It seems like you couldn't mess up...

Example 2: http://us.wii.com/set2_exp02.jsp - Wii Tennis - looks fun, but the gamers don't control the movement of the players. The players move by themselves and I'm assuming the only thing we are to do is swing the wiimote.

Example 3: http://us.wii.com/set2_exp01.jsp - Wii Baseball - exact same as the wii tennis. Gamers don't move the players but only control pitching and hitting. The dad in this clip hit a homerun on his third bat which may get rather redundant.

This may be me worring too much, but I was hoping there might be at least some minor depth to the games. Yes, I understand they are for the non-gamer to catch on, but what do you guys think?

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw a topic that is really similar to this. I was just wanting opinions on the controller functions and how we might actually be able to use the wii in the future.

Well, I'm reserving negative judgement until I play it an dcome to those conclusions myself (about it becoming tiresome). What I do know is that it's worth it to me to own if only for the initial experience; a seemingly great introduction to the technology, one that I'll at least have several days worth of fun with (or drastically more if the games don't become as tiring as you figure they might). So I'm excited about the game. Even if it does become kind of repetetive and boring relatively quickly (and perhaps it won't, I'm not sure), I know there will be a period of time in which I'm having a blast with it...and these days, that's really all I can ask for from a pack-in game, so I'm still as excited as ever to play it and I'm as satisfied as ever that Nintendo included it.

I think the point of Wii Sports is not that it's some kind of deep sports sim where you'll sit (or stand) there playing by yourself for hours on end. Rather, it's meant to give you a basic understanding of what the system is capable of and do the same for anyone you happen to show the system to. It will also function well as a party game.

For instance, I have no interest in going to a bowling alley and bowling by myself. But going with friends? Yeah, that's fun.

I would say that I don't have negative judgement as much as worries. It's awesome that Nintendo is including this with the Wii, but I am trying to figure out if it's worth shelling out extra money for three more wiimotes (I guess I will eventually though)so we can play this game. I don't want my friends to play it for an hour and wonder why we are all getting strikes. I can see that this is to introduce the Wii, but by watching the videos it makes me wonder how sensitive the Wiimote truly is

Could someone spin the wiimote as they bowl to get the full effect and power of the bowling game? Can the gamer perform different moves with the wiimote to mimic slices or lobs in the tennis game? Could such movements with the wiimote even be possible?

I already have my Wii preordered and paid in full and have preordered Zelda and Monkey Ball, but it still seems like a logical question when I want to know the capabilities of the Wiimote.

From what I've read, the way you "release" the bowling ball can add spin to it. And you can put topspin and slice on a shot in tennis. So there is some added depth from a control standpoint.

Keep in mind that those videos are 10-30 second clips from who knows how long. The dad could have been swinging the bat for ten minutes before he figured out how to hit a homerun. Not that I would imagine it would even be that difficult.

My guess is that the settings were on "easy" as opposed to "normal" for the exhibitions, since people wouldn't have time to learn the controls as well. Given the all-ages nature of the content, I would be VERY surprised if Nintendo did not design in different level settings....

Combine that with the idea that this is more akin to Super Monkey Ball than a pro-sports sim....the idea is to have some good natured competition with your friends.....I think Wii Sports will be a lot of fun.

Will it be a game you play for hours at a time? No....but then, I don't want that in all my games!

Wii Sports is actually one of my most anticipated titles....I love good ol' pick-up-and-play fun.

After almost a week of playing Clubhouse Games bowling and darts...I think simple games like this will fill short down times just fine.

I've always assumed it will be more of a tech demo/intro to the controller that will get old fast.

Maybe I'll be presently surprised, but I really don't care much. I'd have prefered the Wii for less than $250 without Wiisports personally as I'm buying it at launch for Zelda.

I'm literally more excited about Wii Sports than Zelda.

Or at least excited in a different way. A buddy is coming over for Thanksgiving and he, my Wife, and I are gonna Wii Sports it up! :)

Yeah, I pretty much always thought of Wii Sports in the vain of Solitaire when it was first released on PCs, a way to get the random person accustomed to the new interface. But I am looking forward to it, should be a good way to have some mindless fun.

As far as throwing strikes on Bowling goes, I didn't throw a single one. The guy I played against threw a few, but not consistently. I'm sure once you figure it out, you can do it every time... but isn't that true in real bowling? And every other bowling game ever made?

Kind of like Mario after it was beaten I still had friends come over and do time challenges once in a while for the NES. So similar (when you look at mastering 5 games) but its a tech demo to get people to play.

You can beat WarioWare pretty quickly by itself but in a group its still fun to play.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']It's a worthless tech demo. I'll be selling my copy for whatever I can get for it, even if it's just a single red cent.[/quote]
You won't even get that. At least not until they stop packaging it with the system. Maybe you should wait to play it before you start trying to sell it. :)

[quote name='BrerDan']My guess is that the settings were on "easy" as opposed to "normal" for the exhibitions, since people wouldn't have time to learn the controls as well. Given the all-ages nature of the content, I would be VERY surprised if Nintendo did not design in different level settings....
[/QUOTE]

Nintendo dosen't design different difficulty level settings, they just make everything obnoxiously easy.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']It's a worthless tech demo. I'll be selling my copy for whatever I can get for it, even if it's just a single red cent.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Nice to see you thought that one through there, Champ. :roll:

I should preface this by pointing out I was able to play Wii Sports at a Fusion Tour stop.

To the OP, you are correct, it isnt a terribly complex sim, even though you can put spin or directional control on shots.

However, it was a load of fun and easy enough for my game playing, but by no means expert, girlfriend to whip me at bowling and tennis because the motions were easy enough for her to pickup and play as well since she already understands the mechanics of those sports. Only one button is ever used, the B trigger, so its not a difficult scheme to learn. In fact, I would be against calling it a tech demo, because if it is, its one of the more glorified demos I have ever seen. A lot of polish has gone into the Miis and transparency to make it look so simple.

Bottom line, easy and fun enough to pick up and play with your friends or family. Perfect to show off the Wii and rope in some new gamers.

Nintendo dosen't design different difficulty level settings, they just make everything obnoxiously easy.
Uhhh...that's quite a blanket statement to make there. You are telling me that no Nintendo sports games have had difficulty settings? Because that's total bullshit.

[quote name='Roufuss']Nintendo dosen't design different difficulty level settings, they just make everything obnoxiously easy.[/quote]
Yup, Like F-zero X & GX. SUPER easy!

In regards to the bowling, one website was reporting the same thing about the Wii Bowling--it was too easy to get strikes. That website also reported that the Nintendo representatives that were on hand took note of it and were planning on doing something about it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Nintendo dosen't design different difficulty level settings, they just make everything obnoxiously easy.[/quote]

Just like the levels in Mario Sunshine where Mario didn't have his waterpack. Oh, wait...those levels were insanely difficult.

[quote name='Plinko']Just like the levels in Mario Sunshine where Mario didn't have his waterpack. Oh, wait...those levels were insanely difficult.[/QUOTE]

Nope, still pretty easy, at least to me.

[quote name='Roufuss']F-Zero GX wasn't developed by Nintendo, slugger.[/quote] True enough, but a lot other games in Nintendo's brands aren't either, easy and difficult alike.

The only Nintendo game I can think off of the top of my head Nintendo-developed or otherwise that was surprisingly easy was Zelda: Wind Waker. Most everything else I've played of there has had a decent degree of difficulty. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. as well.

But, then again, maybe we have different definitions of "Easy" and "Hard." I've become much more inclined to enjoy a game that isn't just holding you by the hand as you go but isn't blindingly difficult either.

That being said, I don't think that Wii Sports is going to have a challenge level of epic proportions. ;)

[quote name='daroga']True enough, but a lot other games in Nintendo's brands aren't either, easy and difficult alike.

The only Nintendo game I can think off of the top of my head Nintendo-developed or otherwise that was surprisingly easy was Zelda: Wind Waker. Most everything else I've played of there has had a decent degree of difficulty. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. as well.

But, then again, maybe we have different definitions of "Easy" and "Hard." I've become much more inclined to enjoy a game that isn't just holding you by the hand as you go but isn't blindingly difficult either.

That being said, I don't think that Wii Sports is going to have a challenge level of epic proportions. ;)[/QUOTE]

This is what I can think of off the top of my head:

Starfox Command
New Super Mario Bros
Super Princess Peach
LoZ: Wind Waker
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Advance Wars isn't really that challenging for me either
I didn't find Sunshine difficult at all... the only challenging parts were the non backpack levels which I wish there were more of

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I didn't play Chibi Robo but I'd be surprised if that game was challenging. Fire Emblem is challenging if I go through it without trying to lose anyone.

Lately, and this is a better I've seen emerging since the DS, Nintendo seems to believe that "games the family enjoys" are games that are dumbed down in difficulty. I'm worried that Nintendo made Wii games will be alot easier than other games solely because they want everyone to play, and Grandma is going to get upset if the game is challenging.

I would LOVE for Nintendo add in difficulty levels to games like Zelda (like every other game on the face of the planet), but for the most part, they don't. It's really hard for me to get excited about almost any Nintendo developed game because I know I will breeze through it no problem.

If they had a normal and a hard mode for Zelda I would be inclined to get a Wii pretty close to launch, but I know as it stands now I'll breeze through Zelda in no time at all.

Yes, I felt Wind Waker was too easy. NSMB wasn't easy, except for the fct that they gave you HUNDREDS of lives...had lives been scarce, like the original SMB, it would have been just fine.

Anyway, back on subject...I'm excited about Wii Sports because I'll get to play it with my parents and my friends. I'm excited about Zelda for personal reasons, but I'm looking forward to Wii Sports strictly for the interaction with other people, and I doubt I'll play it very often when I'm alone.

[quote name='Roufuss']This is what I can think of off the top of my head:

Starfox Command
New Super Mario Bros
Super Princess Peach
LoZ: Wind Waker
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Advance Wars isn't really that challenging for me either
I didn't find Sunshine difficult at all... the only challenging parts were the non backpack levels which I wish there were more of

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I didn't play Chibi Robo but I'd be surprised if that game was challenging. Fire Emblem is challenging if I go through it without trying to lose anyone.

Lately, and this is a better I've seen emerging since the DS, Nintendo seems to believe that "games the family enjoys" are games that are dumbed down in difficulty. I'm worried that Nintendo made Wii games will be alot easier than other games solely because they want everyone to play, and Grandma is going to get upset if the game is challenging.

I would LOVE for Nintendo add in difficulty levels to games like Zelda (like every other game on the face of the planet), but for the most part, they don't. It's really hard for me to get excited about almost any Nintendo developed game because I know I will breeze through it no problem.

If they had a normal and a hard mode for Zelda I would be inclined to get a Wii pretty close to launch, but I know as it stands now I'll breeze through Zelda in no time at all.[/QUOTE]

Well, let's define terms here. A lot of the games on your list are easy assuming you're just trying to get to the closing credits. But the real meat of many of those games was going back and unlocking all of the hidden material. For instance, any idiot could finish one of the storylines of StarFox Command in an hour or two. But if you went back and took alternate paths, you unlocked a much deeper story, more missions, more characters, more ships, more planets, and wide variety of endings. Similarly, the real challenge in NSMB was obtaining all the coins.

Beyond that, you seem to be more talented than the average gamer. Case in point: I don't know how you can call any of the Advance Wars games easy, as the ones I've played get pretty damn difficult about halfway through.

I thought NSMB was ridiculous at some points, though I did like it because it was sorta oldschool. And you put Advance Wars on there? What the crap! Maybe I just suck, but all three are super difficult for me.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 would be other good examples of difficult first party games.

Personally. I hate hard games. I play so infrequently any more (damn work and Ph D studies) that I just don't have much time for gaming, and thus very little patience for hard games where I get frustrated and sick of dying and doing the same levels over and over. And this is compounded not having time to "practice" since I play so infrequently.

So I like games like Wind Waker, Okami, etc. that provide pretty long and entertaining gaming experiences but are't challenging and frustrating.

I like to play games to unwind and relax, I challenge myself more than enough with my research work and studies during the day and evenings. When I have time to play a game, I just want to relax.

So most of Nintendo's games are right up my alley, and a big reason why it is DS and Wii only for me this gen after having all 3 consoles last generation.

NSMB was an interesting beast, folks that recall how the original SMB games were thought it was too easy. Folks who never played the early Mario games could be in for a shock.

Wii Sports seems like the kind of thing you'll play for a few days and then never touch again. However, it might be fun for people who aren't use to playing games, the 40+ year old crowd featuring parents and grandparents.

Golf is the only one I'd be worried about as it didn't work so well at E3. I heard that it wasn't at the Wii event in New York either, so I wasn't surprised by that. Everything else I've heard and seen worked well and should be very fun.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I thought NSMB was ridiculous at some points, though I did like it because it was sorta oldschool. And you put Advance Wars on there? What the crap! Maybe I just suck, but all three are super difficult for me.[/quote]
Yeah, I agree with you. I found some parts of NSMB pretty difficult, and Advance Wars is impossible for me (though I still enjoy playing it.)

Ahem, this woman knows how to handle the Wangmote pretty damn well: http://us.wii.com/exp01.jsp :lol:

I think Wii Tennis was very good. Like it could be competitive. It translates your swing very well, so if you're really good, you can control the placement of the ball. My backhands in real tennis tend to have a sharp crosscourt angle, and it did it in game.

Timing your moves to your own characters movements is one thing. Its a different thing, and maybe arguably harder, to time your movements to an autonomous character.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, I agree with you. I found some parts of NSMB pretty difficult, and Advance Wars is impossible for me (though I still enjoy playing it.)

Ahem, this woman knows how to handle the Wangmote pretty damn well: http://us.wii.com/exp01.jsp :lol:[/QUOTE]

1. I've beaten the Advance Wars games, but they were by no means easy.

2. Do you think she'll sleep with me?

So wait...if you don't move your character in Wii Sports, how do you beat someone? I mean, if the computer moves you in the right position every time, then it's basically an endurance match, isn't it?

Nintendo has made both easy games and difficult games in the past, just like every other company out there. Drastically different difficulty levels in the same games will be a key to success for Nintendo this round. I think Wii is a guaranteed success already, the great first party games, better third party support, and the new controls will mean some success. I think Nintendo has a chance to win this round, if they can make games that everyone can enjoy. For example, make a Tennis game where the player has the choice to control the player or let the computer do it. So the new gamers will still have fun, but the hardcore gamer can play the most complex and complete version of Tennis ever made.

Boxing, to me, felt a little out of control, like I was just randomly punching and not actually affecting the action.

Then again, I had no idea what I was doing, stood at an odd angle, and was holding the nunchuck for the first time ever... and got whooped by an eight-year-old.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Boxing, to me, felt a little out of control, like I was just randomly punching and not actually affecting the action.
and got whooped by an eight-year-old.[/QUOTE]

Did the height of tjhe 8 year old effect the height of your oponent in game? That would be some seriously cool/uncool stuff if it did. Depending on the situation or game.

A shorter person in real life having a shorter Mii person in game?!?

His character wasn't shorter. We didn't have any choice as far as customizing our Mii's. They were just there, some generic black dude and white dude. Maybe his height did actually affect his punching though. We'll have to wait and see.

boxing does look fun. I hope you have the ability to actually block or duck and not just punch. Z-Saber, were all of the general movements actually available to you?

you can bob left/right, backward and I believe forward. The punch always seems goes to a position that is in front of you, so you can control what kind of punch you do, but not where it goes. So if they are dodging and not blocking, you'd really have to dodge that direction and then punch.

bread's done
Back