What do you use your PSP for?

[quote name='depascal22']
Any word on which Final Fantasies will be available for download? I'd get the DS/GBA versions but my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law are bogarting the DS so it'd be nice if they were available for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

Since the downloads are Playstation 1 games, it won't be the same as the DS / GBA FF's.

[quote name='Rags']I'm not sure why everybody likes Valkyrie Profile so much. I picked up the PSP version(never played the PS version) and thought it was terriblely dull. Just could not get into it. I liked the battle system kinda, but the rest of the game was boring.[/quote]

Ironically enough, I've been feeling the exact same way... and it's getting less and less enjoyable every time I get a new party member I know I'll have no time to properly level up... which is odd, because, aside from Astonishia Story, I've been able to find a stable form of enjoyment in every other PSP RPG released.

I'll keep going at VP though, maybe I'm missing the point of it.

As for the analog nub though, I've been having no problems with it. It felt weird at first with GTA, but within minutes I preferred it over the d-pad.

I'm not a fan either. I bought the original, and rented the remake. Got further in the remake (put in about 17 hours), but I just couldn't take it after a while. Monotonous and has too many annoyances for me.

[quote name='TLR']Ironically enough, I've been feeling the exact same way... and it's getting less and less enjoyable every time I get a new party member I know I'll have no time to properly level up... which is odd, because, aside from Astonishia Story, I've been able to find a stable form of enjoyment in every other PSP RPG released.

I'll keep going at VP though, maybe I'm missing the point of it.

As for the analog nub though, I've been having no problems with it. It felt weird at first with GTA, but within minutes I preferred it over the d-pad.[/QUOTE]

Some games pull it off pretty good, but I have found other games to be more easily controlled with the D-Pad(Tekken for one).

I use mine just for internet browsing. I think its a great piece of tech but the games and umds are just too expensive. I'm mostly keeping mine in the hope that God of War will be ported to it and for the remote play connectivity with the PS3.

[quote name='PanzerNinja']I use mine just for internet browsing. I think its a great piece of tech but the games and umds are just too expensive. I'm mostly keeping mine in the hope that God of War will be ported to it and for the remote play connectivity with the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about the Internet browsing. That is a cool add on. I was in the hospital for 3 days this summer, and used my PSP for stuff I needed to do on the Internet.
PLUS, using the internet to be able to get stuff from other people(Like Mega Man:powered Up does) is a great thing. I just hope they don't make unfinished games and rely on patches like some things lead too.

Side Note- I was looking around at incoming PSP games and noticed Thrillville. It's a Theme Park simulator. Has anybody played this, and if so is it anything like the RollerTycoon game for PS2?

[quote name='Roufuss']Since the downloads are Playstation 1 games, it won't be the same as the DS / GBA FF's.[/quote]

The PS1 still had Origins, Anthology, and Chronicles though. It won't be the same as the DS/GBA FFs but I'd still be able to play some version of them.

Obviously the Playstation versions are higher resolution...plus at least with Origins it's going to have much better music than the GBA version.

I hadn't considered this prior to this thread, but this might be a great way to get those games if you don't have them already...unless Sony's DRM ends up stinking. (Looks like Nintendo's is draconian so I can't use the VC :whistle2:( ).

The PSP has a bunch of good to great titles on it, it's just that a lot of those titles are similar to PS2 releases. If you're the type of person who plays games for half an hour before you go to bed (like me), you'll like it and it works well for you. Otherwise it seems like the PSP treads a lot of the same ground.

Anywho, besides games, the PSP gets used mostly for reading books off of Project Gutenberg. I just got a 2 GB stick so there might be some more music getting played on my PSP these days.

I *WANT* to have games similar to the big systems for the most part. The exception is I love 2D, and I want 2D games too (except that I want them on the big systems too...in other words, there's very little difference in the types of games I want for a "big" versus mobile system).

[quote name='Rags']

Side Note- I was looking around at incoming PSP games and noticed Thrillville. It's a Theme Park simulator. Has anybody played this, and if so is it anything like the RollerTycoon game for PS2?[/QUOTE]
I tried thrillville and I think its a great game. never tried RCT2 but this is fun so far lots of mini games. Replay value is high in my opinon. still figuring it out but worth a look

Mostly I use my PSP for hitting people. It can give a good solid clout and they never expect it. At least, the ones that don't know me are surprised. You can get right up close to someone with a PSP clutched in your hand and they'll just stand there. Not like when I carried around a large rock or a 2x4.

[quote name='erika1209']furyk how can i put ebooks on my psp? Where can i download audiobooks i can put on my PSP?[/QUOTE]

Audio books on CD (check your local library) can be simply ripped to MP3 or other supported format with any number of media player apps. Use a very low bitrate, say 64K, since the quality has very little effect on spoken word material. I've had books recorded at as low as 32K that still sounded decent with the well known voice of the narrator recognizable. Keeping the bitrate low mkes for much smaller files.

Ebooks are a different problem. The PSP doesn't offer any convenient way to load a HTML file stored on the Memory Stick, which would be the only practical way to display large amounts of text without a homebrew app.

There are many places online where HTML books can be accessed. Baen, a major publisher of Science Fictin and Fantasy, has an extensive free library at www.baen.com/library/

So long as you have a live internet connection you can load the books into the browser a chapter at a time. Make sure the 'fit to screen' setting is selected.

I use it first and foremost for gamng. When I'm at work, I listen to music during work hours and go gaming at lunchtime. On trips, I use it for games, music and movies. I do browse the internet and check my webmail on it. I have about 600-700 photos on it, along with vidclips. Also, when they deide to release Chotto Shot in the US, I'll snap photos with it. I love my PSP and everything about it.

:bouncy:
YNF

man, I just spent the last few hours doing psp shit.

I been trying out that firmware 2.71 SE-C,

as well as reading about the new devhook .50

(which is still beta, and people are reporting many bugs)

after my 2.71 SE-C trip, I went back to 1.5 with devhook .46.

anyway,

here are some great homebrew games some ppl might be interested in!

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/board,73.0.html

I recommend: arc angel, trig wars, and r-gear

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Mainly for gaming, music secondary, and barely the video player.

I can easily say people overly trash the PSP for no reason. It's a portable system with a very strong library (probably the strongest of all sony's systems ATM) of good titles.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing after FF7 and hopefully KH sequel on psp i would say it is better than any sony console and currently i have more games on my psp than any other system.

right now, mostly used for listening to music and as a thumbdrive for files/school.

just recently picked up medal of honor, so been playin that a little as well.

other options: watching vids ive converted w/ pspvideo9, or downloaded rss videos (ie, xplay, cinematech, but mostly the feed)

theres also plenty of demos available. ridge racer 2 demo was the one i played most recently, and there will be a christmas loco roco demo coming out soon too. (demos can be saved to memory stick).

theres also the homebrew path, ie eloader or xloader through the photo option. i used to read manga through this option too.

then theres flash path, more legit, but also still pretty cool. in firmwares 2.7 and up, flash files can be used to be viewed in the psp's internet browser. the ones i use now were part of that "xtel portal" pack, which actually contained some useful flash files like stopwatch or unit converters.

the internet browser itself, i usually use it if no nearby comp was around and i wanted to check on somethin real quick. some sites like psp.connect.com can also lend toward some downloadable vids with new content updated weekly.

rss too, as already mentioned, can now do video downloads along with audio podcasts (firmware 2.80). the ones i frequent most happen to be the g4 and gametrailer ones.

plus there are other nice features like sleep and hold. the psp's a really nice piece of hardware, imo.

I've been using my psp for music but anytime i put my psp in my pocket or bag i accidently push a button is there a solution for this?

[quote name='erika1209']I've been using my psp for music but anytime i put my psp in my pocket or bag i accidently push a button is there a solution for this?[/quote]

you can lock the system by pushing the reset button down

bread's done
Back