What do you usually call your parents?

[quote name='xmrblondex']no shit that's my parents names![/quote]

i lied. My parents have ethnic names.

Fo' realsies though, i call them Mom and Dad like everyone else

[quote name='becuzimbrown']i lied. My parents have ethnic names.

Fo' realsies though, i call them Mom and Dad like everyone else[/QUOTE]

ha! that's a creepy guess though!

Mom = Mom
Dad = Giles (his name)

When I was very, very young, I vaguely remember calling my mom by her name, but that did not last very long at all.

EDIT: And what's the status of your Urban Dead character, Budge? We're trying to retake a God damn suburb from the zombies, and I haven't heard a peep outta you for a while.

Mom = Mom, madre, ma'am, boss, ma

Dad = Dad, padre, pops, big guy, or tough guy (he is a black belt, yet so am I)

And I do this even after getting called Jeff (my brother) EVERY TIME. Funny thing is, I don't even look nor act like him, ugh.

[quote name='Moxio']How can you guys call your parents by their first name? It just seems so disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Just Mom and Dad over here. Saying mommy and daddy after you are 5-6 years old sounds ridiculous.

Mom and Dad. I think I called my parents Mommy and Daddy when I was really, really small.. I grew out of that pretty fast. My parents are somewhat southern, so they think it's weird that I don't call them some kind of southern variation.

mom is mom;
dad is dad, old man, mr. muscles, denny, denise, or dennis (his name).
When family friends are around I call my parents by their first names though.

If I need to call for my mom (for some reason), I'll just call her mom.

If she asks me a question, it's yes ma'am or no ma'am. We're dealing with an old school batshit insane Irish mom by the way.

I don't have a father!!

*runs away screaming crying, grows hair that stylishly cover only one eye*

my mother = mom
my genetic male predecessor formerly married to my mother = sperm donor (since that's about the only worthwhile contribution he's ever given me in my life)

My father has always been (and probably will always be) "Dad".

My mother is almost always "Mom", but if the situation calls for it, she jokingly becomes "Deb Deb". And if I am asking her for something, I'll sometimes switch over to my Charles Bronson/Sarcastic Man voice and say something like...

bronson.png

..."Hey Ma, how 'bout some cookies?", replacing "cookies" with the item of interest.

For reference: I am 21, both my parents are in their 50s, and while I no longer live with them, I see them quite frequently.

And I must say:
[quote name='Rocko']And you're a cultured fellow to boot, walking to the mall in a suit to pick up that ProActiv.[/quote]I don't get the context/reference/joke/whatever, but as a stand-alone sentence, this nearly made me choke on my orange juice. The mental image, just.... Bravo.

And I must say this, too:
I think it's funny that this thread unexpectedly turned into an informal poll:

Do you come from a broken home?

O Yes.
O No.

mom is still "mommy" to me like 99% of the time, seriously
and dad...i call him "dude" (seriously)..when my parents were still together and my dad and i would watch ninja turtles ( i was like...3 i think) , i'd love the words "dude' and "cowabunga"...and i also developed an amazing love for pizza..anywho, so, dad thought it'd be fun if i called him "dude" instead ( or i started it) and he let it stay, so it sticks, and i like it :)!...its really hard for me NOT to call him that cause it feels weird...
he also tried to get me to call my mom "dude-ette" luckily, that didnt stick

[quote name='Moxio']How can you guys call your parents by their first name? It just seems so disrespectful.[/quote]

I agree.

I'm 23 years old, don't live with them, but still call them "mom" and "dad". I never understood the whole "well, now that I'm an adult, I can call them by their first names" idea. To me, it just seems so very disrespectful.

I call them mom and dad. When I am talking to someone about them I use Mother and Father.

My 3 year old went through a phase when she called me by my first name. My uncles gave me a lot of shit for letting that happen. I never figured out why it was a big deal. Now both of the kids (2 and 3) call me Daddy. I hope it moves to Dad in a few years before I have to start making fun of them for calling me Daddy.

bread's done
Back