What does 'mint condition' mean anymore?

Bune

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4743268197&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

title: "CD - Green [CD & DVD-A] - R.E.M. - Mint"

description:
You are bidding on a CD - Green [CD & DVD-A] - R.E.M. - Mint

cd & dvd is in mint condition -

Please note that you will receive the cd and dvd disc only - no artwork included...

cd & dvd are in mint condition - factory originals -

they will ship in a new jewel case -

I emailed the seller and this is their response:
In a message dated 6/30/2005 6:33:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

DISC ONLY IS NOT MINT.

yes the disc itself is in mint condition - please read.

Thank You,
Lucy
so what does 'mint' mean to you? to me, it would mean that either the item was still shrink-wrapped or maybe that they opened it but it's not scratched or dinged or anything, like if I bought it myself. 'mint' does not mean, to me at least, that the discs are in great shape but the packaging is missing. (How do you lose the packaging, anyway?)

You've got to remember that this is eBay. eBay sellers, for the most part, are idiots.

I'd take mint to mean something that's still in its original packaging and sealed, if applicable. Anything else doesn't match the definition of the word (which is usually "new" or "flawless"), so it shouldn't be described as such.

These days on eBay, it seems like at best, people consider "mint" to mean "complete," and that's when they're being comparitively honest.

Mint means what it sounds like: Complete, without a dent or scratch on it.

i dont think MINT means complete. I look for the words COMPLETE if its going to come complete.

i worry about some of these cheap music auctions that says dont come with stuff. I wonder if they are just burning these to blank cds. I mean i seen some go for like a penny with buck or two shipping and they said they are Good shape. I mean

they are selling them for 2 bucks say shipping and ebay fees will take almost all of that so they are like selling Real music cds for like 50 cents or less. Makes you wonder

I thought mint was just to describe the condition of items, like disc could be mint, but manual heavily used. Though, in the OP's example, I think they're trying to be deceptive, like on Half.com where you have to choose a condition to describe the item as whole. (For example, when people put under the "Like New" section disc only items.)

I take mint to mean it looks brand new, but without the wrapping.

Mint is only an indication of condition, it has nothing to do with how complete an item is. Something can definitely be mint without being complete, that's why you should always make sure to ask about both.

What are you bitchin' about? The seller's not mis-leading anyone:
CD = mint
DVD = mint
booklets = missing

He described the condition of his item, which is what a good seller SHOULD do. You're whining about a problem that doesn't exist. He's not mis-leading the buyer.

BTW, I save my cds/dvds, but not the package. I throw the package in the trash, and the disc inside a caselogic notebook. Saves space.

troy

who's bitchin'? I didn't say it was misleading, I just said my definition of mint differs greatly from theirs and asked for other definitions of the word 'mint'.

Mint - "in perfect condition, as if new and unused." But nowadays, people used the word to describe something in playable condition. When a game is listed as "mint" in ebay, it usually comes with scratches on the disk and some folds on the instruction manual.

[quote name='Bune']who's bitchin'? I didn't say it was misleading, I just said my definition of mint differs greatly from theirs and asked for other definitions of the word 'mint'.[/QUOTE]

DISC ONLY IS NOT MINT.
Sounds like bitchin' to me. Plus you were YELLING at the seller. Shame.

troy

Mint has lost its meaning anymore. Just ask yourself this question: Would you feel ripped if you bought a "Mint condition" Spiderman Issue #1 and got one with fingerprints on the edges and a curling spine? The word "mint" itself means as if it came from the manufacturer. It doesn't mean excellent condition, it doesn't mean "gently used".

I notice this more and more with eBay. I love the definition of "new" that lots of sellers seem to use these days. For example, I was looking at a "Brand New" Halo Edition Xbox that had only been used a few months and was missing the Halo controller. Nice.

109.gif

these are in mint condition....muwhahahh!

lol^^^

to me, mint means the game is complete and in good condition (the manual has no creases and the game only shows some light scratches from normal gameplay).

everybody has their own definition though hehe. if anybody does a trade with me, ask me for the exact conditions of my games and i'll explain the physical aspects as thoroughly as possible :D

Every seller I've worked with on ebay I will murder. And yes, this is a written threat.

Some asshole is probably out there spraying mint-scented Oust on all of the products that he lets his dog inspect with its teeth.

Reality's Fringe said:
Mint has lost its meaning anymore. Just ask yourself this question: Would you feel ripped if you bought a "Mint condition" Spiderman Issue #1 and got one with fingerprints on the edges and a curling spine? The word "mint" itself means as if it came from the manufacturer. It doesn't mean excellent condition, it doesn't mean "gently used".

But if it had been used, and I was unable to tell it, then it would be mint. Mint means that there is no difference between it and the original item. I can buy a used disc that is perfectly flawless but has been used. That makes it mint, as opposed to being new which seems to be what you describe.

According to the dictionary, mint means "as if new". Not new, not complete, but "as if new". If he describes the discs as being mint, and not the whole item as being mint, then the seller was 100% correct.

mint means the item is in excellent condition, for a long time nes and snes carts have been sold as mint even though the box and manual was missing. So long as they state in the auction discription that it isn't complete I don't really have a problem with it.

[quote name='zionoverfire']mint means the item is in excellent condition, for a long time nes and snes carts have been sold as mint even though the box and manual was missing. So long as they state in the auction discription that it isn't complete I don't really have a problem with it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. To me, mint refers to the item itself and not the package as a whole, unless stated. A SNES cartridge can be in "mint" condition because the label is intact and there are no markings on the case whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it is complete with box, manual, etc.

To me:
mint (in terms of video games on ebay) means complete & no visable scratches on the disc... mint (in terms of baseball cards or coins) means flawless, same as new

The selling is accurately depicting the item...by part.

If you were to tell me a CD/DVD/Game is mint condition, I'd expect there not to be so much as a smudge on the disk, for the inserts to be in and not creased, bent, etc, and for the case to still be in the same condition as it was when it was first opened.

In this case the person is honest, though. If the disk is in perfect condition but the box/manual is missing, I think they did a decent job of relaying that to you.

Mint condition in definition means its in the same condition it was in when it came from the "mint" or factory. I'm pretty sure it originated from coin collecting, where a mint condition coin was one that had no finger prints and very little scratches, the same way it was when it came from the "mint". Over the years it has migrated to everyday use and because of its vague definition people manipulate it to try to make more money or make something look better. You could say a cd is in mint condition without packaging or packaging could be in mint condition without a cd, either way people just use it to make what they're selling look better and you can never trust just "mint condition" on multi-part items.

MINT can mean any of the following used:
A) No scratches, cover/manual in perfect condition
B) some scratches but looks pretty good, complete
C) Obviously resurfaced disc with "no scratches" (but read errors due to poor resurfacing job)

A) of course is the correct answer.

Mint for a USED game means it has no or a very few light scratches. It does not mean sealed . People expect used things to be like new. they forget that the game has been played.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Mint for a USED game means it has no or a very few light scratches. It does not mean sealed . People expect used things to be like new. they forget that the game has been played.[/QUOTE]
If the game looks used, then it's not mint. Used games can be like new if you take excellent care of it. If an item is described as mint, I would expect it to look like new, regardless of whether or not it was actually used.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Mint for a USED game means it has no or a very few light scratches. It does not mean sealed . People expect used things to be like new. they forget that the game has been played.[/QUOTE]

Any scratches no matter how small drops the item into the "Very Good" or "Good" category depending on their size, not "Mint" or "Like New".

some of you are still assuming I didn't see the notice that the auction is for discs only. My email to them is in the quote, where I say "disc only is not mint". can you explain for me how saying "disc only" is the same as saying "OMG you're trying to rip peple off?" my only remark is that 'mint' != 'discs only'.

YOU YELLED AT THE SELLER BY TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

Now instead of trying to pretend you did nothing wrong, just admit you shouldn't have yelled at the seller, and everyone will be happy.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']YOU YELLED AT THE SELLER BY TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

Now instead of trying to pretend you did nothing wrong, just admit you shouldn't have yelled at the seller, and everyone will be happy.[/QUOTE]
This isn't going to turn into another one of those things where you don't calm down until someone apologizes, is it?

[quote name='Bune']some of you are still assuming I didn't see the notice that the auction is for discs only. My email to them is in the quote, where I say "disc only is not mint". can you explain for me how saying "disc only" is the same as saying "OMG you're trying to rip peple off?" my only remark is that 'mint' != 'discs only'.[/QUOTE]

Our only comment is that you are a moron. It clearly said discs only, it clearly said the discs were in mint condition, it did not state that the whole item was in mint condition. You extrapolated information that wasn't there, came here expecting a pat on the back, you didn't get one, get over it.

[quote name='Bune']some of you are still assuming I didn't see the notice that the auction is for discs only. My email to them is in the quote, where I say "disc only is not mint". can you explain for me how saying "disc only" is the same as saying "OMG you're trying to rip peple off?" my only remark is that 'mint' != 'discs only'.[/QUOTE]

you typed what you said in caps and that represents yelling. plus, the seller honestly put down that only the discs were included and that they were in mint condition, and everybody's point was that he/she wasn't trying to deceive anybody. for you to "yell" at an honest seller on ebay seems like you're being a brat or being extremely picky with words. with all the dishonesty on ebay these days, you'd think somebody who put down this much information for you in their auction would be appreciated instead of chastised.

I know what the auction was for. I quoted said auction in my original post. I never said I thought it was for anything other than the discs themselves. what I am saying is that to me 'mint' does not equal 'discs only'. I did not that they were being deceptive or anything of the sort. I can read what the auction says.
[quote name='Tromack']Our only comment is that you are a moron. It clearly said discs only, it clearly said the discs were in mint condition, it did not state that the whole item was in mint condition. You extrapolated information that wasn't there, came here expecting a pat on the back, you didn't get one, get over it.[/QUOTE]if you care to read my original post, hell, THE TITLE OF THE THREAD, you'll see that I did not come here for any such thing - I am just asking what peoples idea of mint is because mine differed so greatly from the person with the auction.

Yes, I yelled at them. I apologize to you for your having to see that.

bread's done
Back