What does "whitebox" mean?

on Amazon someone said "I believe it basically means that it comes with just the product in a plain box (normally because it wasnt for retail sale). Depending on the company it may not include the extra pamphlets, instructions, etc...just the product itself."

Whitebox are typically OEM. It's usually the same stuff in a non-retail package. I've bought whitebox hard drives and have never had a problem. I see no reason to pay extra for packaging if you can avoid it.

Yeah, white box is usally OEM. Like if you baught a PC and it came with speakers. The speakers it comes with are usually in a white box.

White box saves money since they usually don't package stuff like software, and install manuals. It's also cheaper because it's harder to sell something in a pure white box then in a normal Retail box that has a picture of the item on it.

If you can save a few bucks getting a white box from a seller you trust I say go for it.

Whitebox are for vendors to add to their product as an accessory.
I work for a company that sells computers. There are certain items like speakers, keyboards, and mice, that we can be purchase in a whitebox to pack in with our systems.
Usually they don't include extra manuals, or driver discs, or that sort of things. They expect the equipment vendor to do the setup or driver installs and such.
If you know what you want...just buy the whitebox...but make sure it has a warranty that meets your needs.

ahhh ic.

but what about the driver?

I haven't purchased a speaker set in more than 10 years. so would the driver be crucial? or is windows vista capable of automatically finding a driver for these speakers?

Yeah, when I said driver...I was thinking about our whitebox keyboards and mice. We get cases of 50 from one of the big vendors, but we have to download the drivers because they don't include a disc.

[quote name='Milkyman']dont worry about software drivers, these are speakers not soundcards![/QUOTE]

Exactly, plus even it was a soundcard, you don't really need the disc version, you can always download the most recent drivers online. You would probably have to download the latest drivers even if a disc was included.

bread's done
Back