What dreamcast games should I get?

jimbodan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
Since I was able to pick up a cheap Dreamcast I now need games to play! I checked the other best Dreamcast games topic and it didn't help much since I have no idea what genre some of those games are and a lot are sports games or games that later got ported.

What I would like are some game recomendations for Dreamcast, that are NOT traditional sports games (baseball, football, basketball, ect..) and NOT fighters. I also don't have much interest in games that got ported to next-gen systems unless they are a great deal cheaper for Dreamcast. I guess basically I'm looking for good Dreamcast exclusives.

EDIT: I guess I wouldn't mind it if people recomended good games that got ported.

[quote name='javeryh']Soul Caliber
Jet Grind Radio
Power Stone
House of the Dead 2[/quote]

Well Soul Caliber is a fighter (and pretty similar to Soul Caliber II obviously), and Jet Grind Radio is basically the same as Jet Set Radio Future.

yeah but even though the OP said no fighters or ports, everyone should own Soul Caliber and you could also say that HotD2 is on xbox with HotD3... lots of the great DC games have already been ported or been given sequels..

And he wanted a list of DC games to get that aren't fighters and aren't ported.......

This is also why I haven't bought a DC, every game I'd want to play has been ported to the current systems.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']And he wanted a list of DC games to get that aren't fighters and aren't ported.......

This is also why I haven't bought a DC, every game I'd want to play has been ported to the current systems.[/quote]

That's why I originally got rid of my Dreamcast awhile back. But for 10$ I figured I can find some stuff I'll like. Also back when I had my Dreamcast I didn't follow games all that closely, so I'm sure lots of stuff passed by me.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Survival Horror)
Carrier (Survival Horror)
Chu Chu Rocket (Puzzle)
D2 (Survival Horror)
Floigan Brothers (Platform)
Grandia II (RPG)
Illbleed (Survival Horror)
Jet Grind Radio (Better than the XBOX Version)
Mr. Driller (puzzle)
Record of Lodoss War (RPG)
Seaman (???)
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Rally 2 (Fishing)
Shenmue (Sorta like an RPG)
Super Magnetic Neo (Platform)
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Hack and Slash)
The Ring: Terror's Realm (Survival Horror)
Typing of the Dead (Gun game that uses a keyboard instead of a lightgun)

Rayman 2 - Much better than Rayman2 n64, arguably better than Rayman 3

Zero Gunner 2 - overhead shooter that allows you to rotate your craft around a fixed point

Unreal Tournemnet - The DC version of UT is the one I play most.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Survival Horror)
Carrier (Survival Horror)
Chu Chu Rocket (Puzzle)
D2 (Survival Horror)
Floigan Brothers (Platform)
Grandia II (RPG)
Illbleed (Survival Horror)
Jet Grind Radio (Better than the XBOX Version)
Mr. Driller (puzzle)
Record of Lodoss War (RPG)
Seaman (???)
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Rally 2 (Fishing)
Shenmue (Sorta like an RPG)
Super Magnetic Neo (Platform)
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Hack and Slash)
The Ring: Terror's Realm (Survival Horror)
Typing of the Dead (Gun game that uses a keyboard instead of a lightgun)

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage my favorite DC Game!

Cannon Spike
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Armada
Starlancer
House of the Dead 2
Record of Lodoss War
Mars Matrix
Gunbird 2
Spiderman
Spawn
Carrier

phantasy star online ver.2 (this plus code breaker = free online crack)
shenmue (blah blah blah most detailed game ever blah blah blah)
jet set radio (awesome defined?)
power stone (i prefer the first... but either of them work. less of a fighting game and more of a party game)
chu chu rocket (puzzle game on speed)
ferrari F355 (think gran turismo is the "ultimate driving simulator"? yea... well, that's a lie)
seaman (dual purpose screensaver and creepshow)

Chu Chu Rocket
Shenmue
Ooga Booga
Bangai-O
Mars Matrix
Virtua Tennis 2K2
Sword of the Berserk

[quote name='xspeedracerx']chu-chu rocket is way better on dc. IMO[/quote]

heh, I think the opposite is true - there are way more puzzles on the GBA version. I'm not sure about multiplayer though...

No Fighters! But then you miss some top quality DC exclusives...anyhow here's some more:

Samba De Amigo
Virtua Tennis
Ooga Booga
Ferrari F335 Challenge
Armada
Metropolis Street Racer
Virtual On: OT
Bangai-O
Maken X
Worms Armageddon
Gundam Side Story
Silver
Bang Gunship Elite
Confidential Misson
Starlancer
Outrigger
Trickstyle
Blue Stinger
Gunbird 2
AeroWings
EGG
Zombie Revenge
Red Dog
D2
Omikron
Time Stalkers
Giga Wing
Hidden and Dangerous
I-Spy: OE

There's probably some more too I'm sure

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']No Fighters! But then you miss some top quality DC exclusives...anyhow here's some more:

There's probably some more too I'm sure[/quote]

I just don't like fighters, I dunno why, but I think it's the all that crappy combo junk that seems to have taken over almost all fighters these days. I think the only fighter for DC I'll be getting is Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and maybe powerstone 1 and 2. Anyways, thanks for the recomendations!

No prob, and def. give Powerstone a shot. I've known many people who don't like fighters, but enjoyed Powerstone. It's a lot like Super Smash Bros in that regard I suppose.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']No prob, and def. give Powerstone a shot. I've known many people who don't like fighters, but enjoyed Powerstone. It's a lot like Super Smash Bros in that regard I suppose.[/quote]

I noticed you recomended Samba De Amigo, is that game any fun at all without the maracas? Or do you pretty much need them?

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']No prob, and def. give Powerstone a shot. I've known many people who don't like fighters, but enjoyed Powerstone. It's a lot like Super Smash Bros in that regard I suppose.[/quote]

I noticed you recomended Samba De Amigo, is that game any fun at all without the maracas? Or do you pretty much need them?[/quote]

I dunno cuz I never tried it without the maracas and I since sold the bundle, but it would seem IMO without the maracas you'd lose about 90% of the fun probably.

Sorry but you need Virtua Tennis, I hate sport games and for some reason it's addicting.

Does anyone have any good places to buy Dreamcast games beside EB and Gamestop? Niether one had extra controls or Seaman. Seaman I need.

[quote name='David85']Sorry but you need Virtua Tennis, I hate sport games and for some reason it's addicting.

Does anyone have any good places to buy Dreamcast games beside EB and Gamestop? Niether one had extra controls or Seaman. Seaman I need.[/quote]

Give Toys R Us a shot, they have some DC inventory lying around usually. And yes, Virtua Tennis is a must even if you dont like tennis or sports in general you'll be hooked on the multiplayer especially and want to try and beat your friends at every turn.

Gamecrazy is a store that has a large selection of used DC games, plus they're not so expensive. I know a while ago they had this get an extra 20% off of red sticker DC games and I picked up about 10 for 1.99 to 4.99 each.

A couple of titles that I haven't seen are

Space Channel 5 (funky Parappa the Rapper style game, plus it is sort of an obscure/weird title)
Though you are not into fighters, you must get Virtua Fighter 3tb. that's is one of the funnest fighters I have played and it doesn't have much combo stuff like you previously said. It is more of a real fighter, sort of a trueer translation of what Street Fighter could be if done right.

MThe two Toys R Us around me suck. One they redid and ran out of room in the video game section, it's way too small, and the other one is called TRU but it's really just Babies R Us.

You know now that I made that list and lok over it when it isn't 4 in the morning, I see that I actually listed a couple of games that indeed had been ported to a current generation system in one form or another.

My personal all time DC favorite were...

House of the dead 2 (must get)
Blue Stinger (great survival horror type-of-game)

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE : Speed Devils best racer ever.....

Samba de Amigo is not the same without the maracas. My Dreamcast died a couple of months ago but I was able to get one from EB for $10 yesterday.

Leavin out fighters kinda cuts my list down, but here goes:
Fur Fighters
Sonic Advance 1 and 2
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Dino Crisis
Grandia II
Reisdent Evil 1-CV
Skies of Arcadia
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
Bandaio (For the love of god, find and play this import, it is sooo fun and original)
Berserk
DOA 2
Floigan Brothers (unique, and had cool online aspects, but I'm pretty sure those are long gone, so I don't know if it would be worth it anymore)
Gigawings 2
Guilty Gear X
Gunbird 2
House of the Dead 2
Half Life (yes, it DOES exist, just gotta look in the right places *wink wink*)
Hundred Swords (Japanese, but kinda like a dumbed down Advanced Wars meets Warcraft, amusing)
Hydro Thunder
Mars Matrix
Mr Driller
Powerstone 1 and 2 (I know you said no fighting games, but I consider these more as fun party games, like Smash Bros.)
Rayman 2
Ready 2 Rumble Round 2
Red Dog
REZ
Samba de Amigo (that reminds me, I gotta find new marracas)
SF Rush 2049
Secret of Lodoss War (If you like Diablo, PLAY this game)
Shadowman (DC version is supperior to others)
Ikaruga
Psyvariar 2
Zero Gunner
Boarder Down
Sonic Shuffle (Not all that great, but an amusing alternative to Mario Party at parties)
Space Channel 5 1 and 2 (EB has the PS2 version for 15 bucks, but I list it here cuz I played it on DC)
Super Magnetic Neo (Original ideas in a platform game, GASP)
Toy Commander
Vampire Chronicles (fighting, but I figured its one most people don't know about. It's a japanese collection of all the Darkstalkers games, which I love. REALLLY hard to find, but fun)
Vigilante 8 2nd offense (again, DC version is supperior. Someone really needs to make another sequel to this series, better than Twisted Metal IMHO)
Virtua Tennis 2

well, there they are. Basically I just wrote in my collection, minus sports and fighting. If you want a list of Fighting, however, I would happily ablige, cuz that's the sole reason I even bought a DC, and had a Saturn before it. I also realize many have been ported, but I included them for your knowlege that you may be able to find them cheaper on the DC. Cheers!

Obscure games:
Typing of the Dead
Bangai-O
Project Justice (amazing fighter...)
Mars Matrix

I highly recommend Bangai-O. 44 levels of beautiful 2d shooting, and a final boss that will quite literally kill you if your not careful. You know those stories of Korean kids killing themselves with malnutrition after playing video games too much? Bangai-O's final boss can do that to you. Damn IMPOSSIBLE. And no faqs...

So you have to counteract his waves of rockets with your own. Stay farther away, and then attack. Then run from his berserker mode. Then repeat. You need Shaolin patience and ninja reflexes to beat him...

bread's done
Back