What ever happened to Platformers?

BlueScrote

CAGiversary!
So I recently finished playing through Jak 3 (great game by the way), and starting Ratchet and Clank: UYA, and I started wondering whatever happened to the (3d) platformer genre.

The only series in recent memory that are flagship platformer titles are the Jak & Daxter Series, Ratchet and Clank series, and of course the Mario series.

Nothing groundbreaking has really been announced since Super Mario Galaxy, which is kind of disappointing, since Platformers are my favorite genre to play, as I grew up on the likes of Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World.

Am I missing any games/series that I should play from this generation/last generation regarding platformers?

Ideas?

Check the wii maybe?

2D?
Warioland Shake
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Just two I can think of off the top of my head. Search teh download services for them, i.e. Wiiware, PSN store, etc.

Metal Arms glitch in the system is a great game from last gen as well and vastly overlooked.

I have played Psychonauts, one of the few games I bought when it actually came out because I feared if I waited I wouldn't be able to find it.

I will have to look into Metal Arms, although from what I remember from the reviews its more a 3rd person shooter. I will also look into Wario Land shake (I loved the wario land games for game boy) and Muramasa: Demon Blade hasn't been released yet, at least according to wikipedia

What ever happened to Platformers?

The success of GTA forced a lot of games to move in the sandbox direction.

My avatar and sig might give it away, but I'm a big fan of the Sly Cooper series. Definitely my favorite series of the last generation. Especially great if you're a fan of heist films like the Ocean's trilogy, where everything you do is setup for the big heist at the end.

I also played The original Sly Cooper game and really enjoyed it. I played through about half of Sly 2 and it really didn't click with me. I feel like it didnt have the same direction and spirit as the original.

Move to 3D hurt that genre greatly IMO. It's the one genre that didn't make the jump very well IMO. Games like Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, Ratchet and Clank, etc. were very good, but they don't hold a candle to the great 2D platformers IMO.

The decline of platformers are mainly due to increase popularity of video game. That also introduce a new line of mainstream gamers that want more action packed game. That doesn't mean the platform genre have die at all. They're still alive! Most of platformers move to Nintendo Ds.

You still got your
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Megaman 9
The Simpsons Game
Spiderman
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Sonic
Megaman Zx
Castlevania Series
Contra 4
Nights Journey Into Dreams(count as platformer, a few stages have some platform aspects)
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
Yoshi Ds
Super Princess Peach
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Some of those I don't consider platformers. Bionic Commando, Mega Man 9, Contra 4 are side scrolling shooters with platform elements. Castlevania is a side scrolling action-adventure series, especially the newer ones that play like Metroid.

Platformers equal stuff like Mario that's mostly running, around, jumping gaps etc. and dealing with the occasional enemy (who you're just avoiding or jumping on for the most part).

Your thinking of classic platformers. You get to run around, jump on platform and such. These games are modern platformers with shooting/action aspects. It like saying God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or Dynasty Warriors not a beat em up. But in fact, they are the modern beat em up. Basicly, the genre itself have evolve and take other gameplay elements.

Then it needs a new label. I'd call DMC et al. action games rather than beat 'em ups. Games evolve and new genre's are born that need new labels IMO.

Genre labels are useless if they're too broad and non-descriptive IMO.

i want a new double dragon or battletoads (or dare i dream, battletoads vs double dragon?) that's given the same care that bionic commando got

Klonoa is getting a supposedly-3D Wiimake.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170280
Klonoa Gets Wii Remake
The PlayStation original is revived in full 3D. Er, 2.5D.
By Kevin Gifford, 10/01/2008
Can you believe that the original Klonoa: Door to Phantomile came out nearly 11 years ago in Japan? Are we really getting that old, all of us? Sure, the game's a remarkable classic -- a mixture of 2D platforming, cute 3D fantasy-toned graphics, and a general "aww" factor that puts you at the risk of gingivitis -- but surely it can't be old enough to get remade, right?

Wrong! Namco Bandai Games announced this week in Japan that the original Klonoa is getting a full-on Wii remake, taking the original and giving it a hefty graphical enhancement. The black-and-white flying cat thingy is debuting on the Wii December 4 in Japan at the relatively cheap price of 4800 yen; no details on a US version have been shared yet.

The Wii-make will be the same game as before -- you control Klonoa as he uses his magic ring to beat up enemies and hop around on platforms and also experience the saddest story to ever hit the platform genre (serious). You can play the game with just the Wiimote pad and two buttons, holding the thing horizontally, though the Classic Controller will presumably be an option as well.

Seriously, though, when did we get so old?

I loved Klonoa 2 on Playstation 2, I'll be watching this.
klonoa1_2.jpg

Battletoads was such a great series, minus the crazy hard driving parts. Would be a great series to have online co-op on it.

[quote name='fatbeer']mainstream gamers that want more action packed game.[/quote]
This is an interesting concept. The move to 3D and going mainstream morphed platformers into 3rd person shooters and action games. Why just jump around when you can jump and shoot, or jump and do a 10 hit combo.

If you liked the Jak series, you should check out the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series. They're essentially a budget clone of the Jak games but have some pretty good gameplay. Available on all three past generation platforms.

[quote name='epobirs']If you liked the Jak series, you should check out the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series. They're essentially a budget clone of the Jak games but have some pretty good gameplay. Available on all three past generation platforms.[/QUOTE]

If your going there, then i Ninja was not too bad, and neither was the mummy game... I forget what its called right now, buyt the mummy went through all sorts of torture during the game, fire, etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Some of those I don't consider platformers. Bionic Commando, Mega Man 9, Contra 4 are side scrolling shooters with platform elements. Castlevania is a side scrolling action-adventure series, especially the newer ones that play like Metroid.

Platformers equal stuff like Mario that's mostly running, around, jumping gaps etc. and dealing with the occasional enemy (who you're just avoiding or jumping on for the most part).[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on who you ask. I think the original Megaman series was always considered platformers, even though using weapons was one of the main aspects. Same for the original Bionic Commando. Modern-day, almost everyone points to Ratchet and Clank as one of (if not the) best platforming series, though it has even more focus on weapons.

I guess you could call them platform-shooters or something.

[quote name='Snake2715']If your going there, then i Ninja was not too bad, and neither was the mummy game... I forget what its called right now, buyt the mummy went through all sorts of torture during the game, fire, etc.[/QUOTE]

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. I did enjoy finishing that game, though the first 2-3 hours were not too great. Most people probably didn't bother to struggle through them. Also the controls weren't super-tight like R&C, Sly, etc.

[quote name='Snake2715']If your going there, then i Ninja was not too bad, and neither was the mummy game... I forget what its called right now, buyt the mummy went through all sorts of torture during the game, fire, etc.[/QUOTE]I too enjoyed i-Ninja. I didn't care for that Mario 64-ish mechanic where you are forced to go back and replay old levels in order to move forward, but other than that it was some quality run 'n jump gameplay with a neat aesthetic to it.

The Sly series were definitely the best in terms of platformers of last generation.

Well Nintendo is bringing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat to the Wii, which was easily one of the best (and most overlooked) platformers of the last generation. Anyone who didn't check it out for the Gamecube should pick it up for the Wii.
Hopefully EAD Tokyo is working on a sequel (along with Mario Galaxy 2).

As far as I'm concerned, Ratchet and Clank are NOT platformers at ALL. They're action games, or even shooters. And personally I *HATE* Jak 2 and 3 (though I loved the first one).

The only 3D platformers in recent years I've thought have been any good are Super Mario Galaxy, Ape Escape 2, and Psychonauhts. Before that probably Jak 1, and the Rare N64 games. I prefer 2D platformers, and there are FAR too few of them, but that genre’s almost been better represented since the late 90’s, weirdly enough.

Reading this thread it's kind of weird-Megaman was never considered a platformer even though I've heard that in recent years. (Though I've heard a lot of weird revisionist genre names in recent years, like shooters being called "shoot 'em ups" or side scrolling fighters called "beat 'em ups" or other asinine things like that that they were NEVER called and anyone with a functional grasp of English would be embarrassed to call them.)

For some reason this whole subject really pisses me off even though it's essentially irrelevant :D

[quote name='Kaijufan']Well Nintendo is bringing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat to the Wii, which was easily one of the best (and most overlooked) platformers of the last generation. Anyone who didn't check it out for the Gamecube should pick it up for the Wii.
Hopefully EAD Tokyo is working on a sequel (along with Mario Galaxy 2).[/QUOTE]

Jungle Beat was awesome, but it was a 2D platformer (presumably we're talking about 3D ones here). That development team might be Nintendo's best thing going between that and Super Mario Galaxy. :(

[quote name='Backlash']Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. I did enjoy finishing that game, though the first 2-3 hours were not too great. Most people probably didn't bother to struggle through them. Also the controls weren't super-tight like R&C, Sly, etc.[/quote]

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is the game that I most wish would get a sequel, especially with the way it ended. It is probably one of my top three platformers of last gen. I still need to go back and play through the Spyro games, though.

You know, I thought of another last gen platformer I enjoyed... Pitfall: The Lost Expedition. Sure, it had some issues, but I had a lot of fun with it. I may have helped that one of my favorite voice actors provided the voice of Harry, but it was still fun.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The only 3D platformers in recent years I've thought have been any good are Super Mario Galaxy, Ape Escape 2, and Psychonauhts. Before that probably Jak 1, and the Rare N64 games. I prefer 2D platformers, and there are FAR too few of them, but that genre’s almost been better represented since the late 90’s, weirdly enough.[/quote]

You and I have pretty similar tastes. What did you think of the 'new wave' of platformers on XBLA? I'm talking about Braid, BC:Rearmed and Mega Man 9.

[quote name='cochesecochese'] I'm talking about Braid, BC:Rearmed and Mega Man 9.[/QUOTE]

Not for me, but I'll answer anyway as I'm also in agreement with wolfpup.

Braid--I'm liking it somewhat, but it's more of a puzzler and some of the puzzles are damn obtuse.

BC-Rearmed--more of a shooter and I never liked the original much either. Hate not being able to jump and having to use the arm for everything.

Mega Man- this is a shooter series IMO, and I was never a fan. I also have no interest in playing 8 bit styled games today.

I'm really dying for some straight up, 2D platformers on XBLA. Not shooter-platformer combos, or puzzlers, but a straight up platformer in the mold of Mario or Sonic.

what happened is that all the third parties raped it! nintendo created a successful platformer [super mario 1,2,3,....]. when other companies see that it's successful, they try to emulate it [look at ps1, how many platformers?!]. they create series after series of the same franchise. look at ps2, how many jak and dexter and rachet and clank games were released on the same console? with all those releases, were there anything new added to the games [look at super mario 1,2,3 as a guide] and i'm not referring to like having new additional weapons.

pet simulation is currently being raped too. you got nintendo that made nintendogs and people were wowed by it. then you have ubisoft with all their animal frenzy games. it's not only for ds either, it's also for wii.

basically these companies don't really know what to do. all they do is wait and see who takes the first step. when that person has good sales, then everyone jumps in. why do you think there are so many fps in 360 and soon ps3?! i just can't believe that people who own these systems still crave these type of games. but i do know that people are getting bored, cod 5. people didn't like the ww2 setting because there are so many ww2 fps games being released. so it is a matter of time until everyone else becomes bored of fear, bioshock and all those other fps games.

as a side note, i'm not referring to nintendo only. i only used nintendo as they are a great example.

[quote name='cochesecochese']You and I have pretty similar tastes. What did you think of the 'new wave' of platformers on XBLA? I'm talking about Braid, BC:Rearmed and Mega Man 9.[/QUOTE]

This is sort of embarrassing, but I haven't played any of them yet. I'm SOOOO far behind on my games (partially thanks to Toys R Us' trillions of sales earlier this year!)

I suspect that I'll start out liking Braid, but that it'll get way too hard for me relatively quickly and eventually piss me off, as the sort of "puzzle platformer" type games usually do. Maybe I'm not smart enough :lol:

And I suspect I'll love Megaman 9 and Bionic Commando. (I don't really think of either series as platformers though) I played through the whole original Megaman series again on the PS2 a year or two back, and was surprised by how well they held up, and actually how there was more going on there than I remembered. Back in the day it eventually got to be like..."another one?!?" 6 and 7 were probably my favorites (and the two I hadn't played before).

I'm somewhat iffy on Megaman 9 only because it's done by the people who did those Megaman Zero or whatever GBA/DS games. Those were WAAAAAAY too hard for me, so 9 might be as well. (I also wish 9 and Bionic Commando had gotten retail releases!)

I'm a huge fan of the original Bionic Commando-I still think it's one of the best, most interesting games anyone's made.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not for me, but I'll answer anyway as I'm also in agreement with wolfpup.

Braid--I'm liking it somewhat, but it's more of a puzzler and some of the puzzles are damn obtuse.

BC-Rearmed--more of a shooter and I never liked the original much either. Hate not being able to jump and having to use the arm for everything.

Mega Man- this is a shooter series IMO, and I was never a fan. I also have no interest in playing 8 bit styled games today.

I'm really dying for some straight up, 2D platformers on XBLA. Not shooter-platformer combos, or puzzlers, but a straight up platformer in the mold of Mario or Sonic.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']what happened is that all the third parties raped it! nintendo created a successful platformer [super mario 1,2,3,....]. when other companies see that it's successful, they try to emulate it [look at ps1, how many platformers?!]. they create series after series of the same franchise. look at ps2, how many jak and dexter and rachet and clank games were released on the same console? with all those releases, were there anything new added to the games [look at super mario 1,2,3 as a guide] and i'm not referring to like having new additional weapons.[/quote]

I don't really agree. Plenty of companies have made great platformers over the years-some that are better IMO than the Super Mario Bros. series ever was (well, really few, but like Tomba! 2 and a handful of other games).

And even those Playstation 2 games you mentioned-they got great reviews, so someone likes them (though R&C isn't a platform series, and I've never liked any of those since Jak 1, but apparently they're really well made if you like them).

Personally, I consider Mega Man 9 a platformer because I die more often from falling on spikes and into pits than I do from bullets and enemies. Bionic Commando is a bit more shooter intensive, but the entire game revolves around traversing the environment with your arm.

Contra, on the other hand, is more about dodging the 5 bazillion bullets heading straight for you. There are no difficult jumps or navigation points to be progressed, and if there are, it's the result of some fat dude with a rocket launcher standing in your way.

The definition of a platformer to me is any game where the environment is the primary challenge to be overcome.

Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, and Braid want to talk to you. Also, Little Big Planet is about as platformy as you can get.

I'm kind of skeptical about it (and kind of put off by the PS3 right now, though not as much as the Wii). I really don't feel like having to make my own content, even though I acknowledge the whole idea of it may be pretty revolutionary. Frankly I'm not very creative (at least in the typical sense) and I just want to sit down and enjoy something great made by a professional, whether it's a game, show, movie, book, whatever. (I don't give a rat's ass about Youtube for that reason either. I don't normally swear, but what the heck, 3 hours sleep for multiple days in a row, and there ya go :D )

bread's done
Back