What FF is FFIX most like?

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Out of FF1, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10 (the basic US releases), which one is FF9 most like in terms of gameplay (e.g. linearity, battle mechanics, leveling up, magic use, etc)? I don't care about the graphics or sound.

I'd say it's more like 8, only not as good. IMO 9 was one of the worst FF games released. 5 and 9 are the only two FF games I've started and then completely lost interest in.

I think it'd be closer to FF4 or 6 than FF8. I thought 9 was alright, I definitely enjoyed it more than FF7 and FF8, both of which I detested.

FFIX was meant for fans of the classic FF games... Generally, people who hate it, started with FF VII or VIII.

It's basically a 32-bit incarnation of a lost 16-bit Final Fantasy game... with the flair of VII and VIII.

I am currently playing through FFIX and am loving it. The game has a story that's easy to follow, the characters are well crafted, and the graphics are top notch.

Usually when I play an RPG, I play it like crazy for the first few days and then need to take a break from it. Many times, when I try to get back into the game a couple of weeks later, I can't remember where I'm supposed to be going or why -- the storys in many RPG are just way to convoluted. This one is much better.

The characters are all fleshed out well. The diaolgue is written much better than FFVII (Never played VIII). They look great to boot.

I really like how characters learn abilities by equipping stuff long enough to "learn" the new ability. From then on, you can use that ability for the rest of the game (as long as you have enough free ability points). It's not as confusing / in-depth / time consuming as some other systems.

I also like how they throw in a lot of short fmv clips. They look awesome and it helps keep the story interesting. The graphics, imo, are some of the best I've seen on the ps1.

The last Final Fantasy I played through to the end was Final Fantasy II on the SNES (was that 5?) And I've completed it a couple of times. Final Fantasy IX is keeping me just as interesed as that one did.

IX is definitely most like VI or IV, except, IMO better (although I never played IV). It's my personal favorite.

And a note- I started with FF7 and I still liked it.

I thought FFIX was good, not up to FF6 standards (but what is out of the FFs?) and was a nice throwback to the older FF's, yet still containing the 3d feel of the recent FFs. The only two FF's (outside of FF3j) I haven't completed are FFX and FFVIII and I guess FFX-2 if u wanna count that.

FF6 was best, 7 was ok, 8 was horrible...haven't played a FF since someone craped in a jewel case and sold it as FF8.

[quote name='PsyClerk']I'd say it's more like 8, only not as good. IMO 9 was one of the worst FF games released. 5 and 9 are the only two FF games I've started and then completely lost interest in.[/quote]

Man. No way, FF IX is nothing like VIII - someone mentioned IV and I completely agree. VIII's a great title with a super splendid soundtrack.

FF IX, I find, is similar to FF IV in general "feel". They're also alike in the fact that I don't like either in comparison to the others.

Awesome. I started with FF1 (only RPG I had played before that was Dragon Warrior 1) and I really liked 6 and 4. I was trying to play them in order until I got to 8, which i hated. So I just decided to skip straight to X and I am playing that now. I will definitely go back for IX later then. Thanks guys.

I'd say either IV or VI but I hardly liked IX because the final boss didn't make any sense and the "evil villain" wasn't that great.

FFIX felt more like the classic FF of course. I played FFIX and reminded me so much of old school FF and loved it. I began playing FFVII...it's somewhere gathering dust. I don't know, I just don't see the big deal. It just didn't catch my interest.

bread's done
Back