What fighting game do you prefer/devote yourself too?

all becoz they're crossovers does not make CvS and MvC alike.

you don't put Tekken and Virtua Fighter in the same category coz they're both 3d fist brawlers...

MvC2 is based on the old Xmen children of the atom engine. Then it evolved into a game of aeriel combos. Now MvC2 bases its strategy on assists, and how said assists open up opportunities to eff up your opponent

CvS is basically street fighter with KOF team rules. The only similarities it has to MvC2 is the game is completely unbalanced. Therefore, whereas MvC2 is based on its variety of assists, CvS2 is based on grooves. Sakura will own on A-groove, but without that she's not too useful at all.

Further in CvS2 u play one character at a time, thus you need to be great at all characters and choose each one in such a way that you can fly solo with them. In MvC, Psylocke makes a great assist to Magneto, but if u can take down Mags then your Psylocke can only fight defensively

CvS aint very high speed either. You don't see turtling very often in MvC as opposed to CvS (again, becoz MvC uses assists)

[quote name='The Crotch']So don't bother with all of Melee's extraneous stuff. Turn off invisibility, don't play the F-Zero level, and ignore slow-motion mode. The core game is virtually unchanged.

Also, is it possible that I am the only person who actually enjoyed the Clay Fighter games?[/QUOTE]

:lol: I think one of the problems also is the speed. I enjoyed the game in slow mode way more. after putting time into Melle and the 64 version, the 64 version's speed is toned down from the Melee one... Melee is just too twitchy.

and am I the only one that like the One Must Fall games?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I disagree. Both play high speed and cover some of the same basic aesthetics as well as gameplay with some spicer uppers... it's just one plays more fun than the other.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sarausagi']They're both crossovers, they both share several of the same mechanics, plus the play style carries over pretty well. I can play CVS Capcom the same way as MVC2 Capcom

But they are completely different, however, there are people who play only the crossover games: for a long time ALL I played was CVS and MVC. I didn't stop until Soul Calibur 3 stole about 200 hours of my life. Then I stopped playing that and went back to Virtua and KOF [oh, and SFA Anthology][/QUOTE]

I don't mean to be getting on your case so much lately Rolento, but you guys are seriously so wrong. Jekki basically told it how it is, so I'm not going to say the same thing, but he's 100% correct.

And Rolento, although I still think you're absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% wrong about Melee, your argument isn't half bad.

[quote name='jimfoley16']I don't mean to be getting on your case so much lately Rolento, but you guys are seriously so wrong. Jekki basically told it how it is, so I'm not going to say the same thing, but he's 100% correct.

And Rolento, although I still think you're absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% wrong about Melee, your argument isn't half bad.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I'm not trying to convince you since it'll end up me looking like someone that makes no sense (90% true) and that everyone will want to sleep with you when it's over... it's statistically proven.

Really, it boils down to if you play it for kicks or for competition... competitively you'll want to throw it down in SSBM since the larger poplace plays newer titles and that means larger source of hardcore players. As with the older stuff... not as much people have or will play it due to age, thus limiting the fun factor due to less chance of playing a human... but that's only a small fraction of it all... just be happy you got a sequal that you enjoyed and not something that I enjoy ;)

Soul Caliber 1 on Dreamcast was the last fighter i really put a lot of time into as far as unlocking everything and what not. Still one of my favorite games.

[quote name='JEKKI']all becoz they're crossovers does not make CvS and MvC alike.

you don't put Tekken and Virtua Fighter in the same category coz they're both 3d fist brawlers...

MvC2 is based on the old Xmen children of the atom engine. Then it evolved into a game of aeriel combos. Now MvC2 bases its strategy on assists, and how said assists open up opportunities to eff up your opponent

CvS is basically street fighter with KOF team rules. The only similarities it has to MvC2 is the game is completely unbalanced. Therefore, whereas MvC2 is based on its variety of assists, CvS2 is based on grooves. Sakura will own on A-groove, but without that she's not too useful at all.

Further in CvS2 u play one character at a time, thus you need to be great at all characters and choose each one in such a way that you can fly solo with them. In MvC, Psylocke makes a great assist to Magneto, but if u can take down Mags then your Psylocke can only fight defensively

CvS aint very high speed either. You don't see turtling very often in MvC as opposed to CvS (again, becoz MvC uses assists)[/QUOTE]

Well Said! I tried playing MvC2 and it was awful for me. i couldnt keep up with the speed of the game and the fact that it gets so crazy i lose track of my character and i end up getting owned by three cable supers in a row...while in CvS its more traditional and its the normal pace fof SF/KOF games. The two games are completley different but i do understand why saurasagi..put them in the same category.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Well Said! I tried playing MvC2 and it was awful for me. i couldnt keep up with the speed of the game and the fact that it gets so crazy i lose track of my character and i end up getting owned by three cable supers in a row...while in CvS its more traditional and its the normal pace fof SF/KOF games. The two games are completley different but i do understand why saurasagi..put them in the same category.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's my other reason too, the fact the poll only has 10 options max

I think it depends on who you are playing though...whenever I get a chance to actually play in arcades, I go out of my way to avoid certain type of player..you know? That type that always picks some sort of character like Cable..or Sentinel...or Magneto..or Storm..not because he likes them or enjoys playing with them..but because..they're "high tier"

And he spams you with the same projectile/assist/air combo the entire time...sometimes not even looking at the screen...and if you're using a character that's low tier or mid tier you'll probably get killed unless you're this ungodly MVC2 robot...so you have to put another [or two in my case] quarters [okay, well tokens] in and pick the same type of characters and play the exact same game as him only better, and then you beat him and you're left with the most boring single player game ever because you can't even play with the characters you like

I think I definitely had a lot more interesting fights "before the Internet"...before youtube videos showing you exactly how to do a certain strategy, before huge money sponsored tournanments and huge websites to go with them...now you either play newbies and beat them all too easily, or you play net kids who could careless for variety or experimentation.

[quote name='sarausagi']Well, there's my other reason too, the fact the poll only has 10 options max

I think it depends on who you are playing though...whenever I get a chance to actually play in arcades, I go out of my way to avoid certain type of player..you know? That type that always picks some sort of character like Cable..or Sentinel...or Magneto..or Storm..not because he likes them or enjoys playing with them..but because..they're "high tier"

And he spams you with the same projectile/assist/air combo the entire time...sometimes not even looking at the screen...and if you're using a character that's low tier or mid tier you'll probably get killed unless you're this ungodly MVC2 robot...so you have to put another [or two in my case] quarters [okay, well tokens] in and pick the same type of characters and play the exact same game as him only better, and then you beat him and you're left with the most boring single player game ever because you can't even play with the characters you like

I think I definitely had a lot more interesting fights "before the Internet"...before youtube videos showing you exactly how to do a certain strategy, before huge money sponsored tournanments and huge websites to go with them...now you either play newbies and beat them all too easily, or you play net kids who could careless for variety or experimentation.[/QUOTE]

I think the net made the game much better. Mostly though, I think people learn from other players. I never learned Sentinel until this summer when I got bored of Cable, Blackheart and Iron Man and wanted to mix things up. I never would have been able to get as good as I am with Sentinel without watching a couple play along the way. Most of the stuff I do is shit I came up with, but certainly the QCF+KK Super Move spammage is learned.

I think to complain about people learning how to do stuff on the internet is kind of a cop-out, because you could do the same thing. Plus, you should be able to beat them anyway, because arcade experience is exponentially more valuable then watching videos on the internet. I wouldn't be as good as I am at half the games I play if I didn't get to play down at University Pinball back in the day.

[quote name='jimfoley16']I think the net made the game much better. Mostly though, I think people learn from other players. I never learned Sentinel until this summer when I got bored of Cable, Blackheart and Iron Man and wanted to mix things up. I never would have been able to get as good as I am with Sentinel without watching a couple play along the way. Most of the stuff I do is shit I came up with, but certainly the QCF+KK Super Move spammage is learned.

I think to complain about people learning how to do stuff on the internet is kind of a cop-out, because you could do the same thing. Plus, you should be able to beat them anyway, because arcade experience is exponentially more valuable then watching videos on the internet. I wouldn't be as good as I am at half the games I play if I didn't get to play down at University Pinball back in the day.[/QUOTE]

I guess what I am really trying to say is, before online communities and tournaments became a common thing, people were a lot more willing to experiment and try different things: you'd see more characters in play, different strategies. However, every MVC2 game I can remember in an arcade in the past year, is usually the same mix of characters. If I want to win, I have to go high tier [so I end up using Storm, Cyclops, Spiderman, Magneto, etc] , but in a way that takes the fun out for me, because I'd rather lose a fight and actually, you know, pick characters I really enjoy playing, and actually get to fight!

MVC2 is an interesting game, because characters that otherwise were extremely powerful became completely weak. I can play a decent Chun Li in MVC1 and SFA3, in MVC2 she is nearly worthless. Same goes for Wolverine, Ryu, Captain America. In fact, Cap has won me fights only because people are like "What the? Captain America? Dhalsim became high tier, and Akuma's mid tier. [which is so different from SFA2, where from what I remember, Akuma was one of the strongest characters...finding someone who actually used Dhalsim was...near impossible]

Of course, I could just quit whining, put an hour into the game daily, and actually try to come up with ways some of the lower tier characters can compete. They exist, and they're hard as hell to pull off, and while yearly I am some what better at playing, I still don't have the timing it takes. I'd love to be able to play Rogue or Captain at competitive level.

[quote name='sarausagi']I guess what I am really trying to say is, before online communities and tournaments became a common thing, people were a lot more willing to experiment and try different things: you'd see more characters in play, different strategies. However, every MVC2 game I can remember in an arcade in the past year, is usually the same mix of characters. If I want to win, I have to go high tier [so I end up using Storm, Cyclops, Spiderman, Magneto, etc] , but in a way that takes the fun out for me, because I'd rather lose a fight and actually, you know, pick characters I really enjoy playing, and actually get to fight!

MVC2 is an interesting game, because characters that otherwise were extremely powerful became completely weak. I can play a decent Chun Li in MVC1 and SFA3, in MVC2 she is nearly worthless. Same goes for Wolverine, Ryu, Captain America. In fact, Cap has won me fights only because people are like "What the? Captain America? Dhalsim became high tier, and Akuma's mid tier. [which is so different from SFA2, where from what I remember, Akuma was one of the strongest characters...finding someone who actually used Dhalsim was...near impossible]

Of course, I could just quit whining, put an hour into the game daily, and actually try to come up with ways some of the lower tier characters can compete. They exist, and they're hard as hell to pull off, and while yearly I am some what better at playing, I still don't have the timing it takes. I'd love to be able to play Rogue or Captain at competitive level.[/QUOTE]

Dhalsim and Spiderman definately =/= High Tier. You'd have a much better chance winning with Rogue then either of those two.

Regardless, I understand where you're coming from I guess. However, the low-tier characters are playable in non-tournament level play for sure. I've won lots of games with Captain America, Ken, Venom, Thanos, Megaman, Strider and a bunch of other guys.

I think that to enjoy the game you don't have to pick the high tiers, and since you're arguing against huge, glorified tournaments and everything, I'm assuming you're not much of a tournament player, so I think you just need to play against competition that is more at your level. I'm not trying to say you're not a good player or anything like that, but games are just more fun when you play with people that have roughly the same skill as you.

Are there any characters in particular that you'd like some strategy for? I have a pretty solid idea of what i'm doing with pretty much every character, so I could probably help you out. I'm not Justin Wong or Sanford by any stretch, but I know what I'm doing.

Also, I've gotten my Sentinel team absolutely smoked by Amingo before, so just stick with it and you can win with pretty much anyone.

[quote name='sarausagi']I guess what I am really trying to say is, before online communities and tournaments became a common thing, people were a lot more willing to experiment and try different things: you'd see more characters in play, different strategies. However, every MVC2 game I can remember in an arcade in the past year, is usually the same mix of characters. If I want to win, I have to go high tier [so I end up using Storm, Cyclops, Spiderman, Magneto, etc] , but in a way that takes the fun out for me, because I'd rather lose a fight and actually, you know, pick characters I really enjoy playing, and actually get to fight![/QUOTE]well if you're talking just in the context of MvC2,

the fault of seeing the same mix of dudes has nothing to do with the online and tournament fighting scenes. More so, I blame it on the aforementioned fact that the game is extremely unbalanced. In the context of "devoting" yourself to a game, it's only natural you want to be good at it.

But if it causes kids to pick all top tiers, I don't see why you as a player would find it a problem. That is, assuming you do not suck. If a dude chooses top tiers, it doesn't matter because in the end you lose to his skill and not his team. Even a game as unbalanced as MvC2 has an extreme amount of brokeness in it, every character can do an OTG combo and if you can hit a person with one super, crossovers will slice his life bar up like butter.

Furthermore, the top-tier pool is not even a problem in all the more balanced games like 3S, GGXX, Virtua Fighter, or Tekken. Tiers exist, we all know Ken Chun and Yun hold the crown. But that doesnt stop me from only using Alex, necro and Q. Nor does it stop the people who use Ryu, Ibuki, jugo, etc.

bread's done
Back