What game do you love that most everyone else thinks is garbage?

Sonichigh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
150 (99%)
This site's article went over games that were hated by everyone but they enjoyed it regardless of what everyone felt about that game. My personal one would have to be Bart vs the Space Mutants. What were some of the other crap that you enjoyed?

renegade-ad.jpg

Dear lord...the depths of that list for me knows no bounds. Some highlights:
Speed Punks (PS1)
Dukes of Hazzard (PS1)
Rygar (PS2)
Maximum Chase (Xbox? I finally traded it in)
Bomberman Red/Black (GBA)
Reel Fishing (PS1)
PowerPlay 98 (PS1) -- the graphics are horrid but I CAN'T. STOP. PLAYING.
Any Given Dynasty Warriors Game
...and I'm sure dozens of others. About once a month I bring up some obscure game that I'm enjoying and have people say something like "dayum -- I think Gamespot gave that a 0.2, didn't they?"

The Dynasty Warriors games i played were great, they are good at what they are, which is mindless killing hordes of people using combos.

Xenosaga series. IMO, I found the first and third to be the best games last generation, by a long shot.

I could also add Star Ocean 3, since I really liked it too.

The first Zone of the Enders, since I really liked Leo Stenbuck.

Captain America and the Avengers for the Genesis. I played the absolute shit out of that game, even to the point that I was getting pretty much every point possible in the game. At the time, I called Data East and asked what the maximum point total attainable in the game was. The guy on the line said that no one had ever asked that. When I told him my score, he shouted it out across the office, and after a bit of discussion, he said that it was higher than anyone there had ever heard of.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Captain America and the Avengers for the Genesis. I played the absolute shit out of that game, even to the point that I was getting pretty much every point possible in the game. At the time, I called Data East and asked what the maximum point total attainable in the game was. The guy on the line said that no one had ever asked that. When I told him my score, he shouted it out across the office, and after a bit of discussion, he said that it was higher than anyone there had ever heard of.[/quote] That's awesome. I remember liking a game for Genesis with Captain America so it was probably that one.

I personally liked Wario's Woods. I had it in Animal Crossing and I played it quite a bit but I could never get past level 80 I think.

For some reason, people tend to hate SaGa Frontier. Unlimited SaGa, yes, that was not fun, but SaGa Frontier is one of my favorites by a long shot.

Pretty much anything Koei makes. I own every single Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors game. I love them, and hope Koei makes a million more.

Ninety-Nine Nights was another one. I thought it had a surprisingly good story.

Bulletwitch I found to be fun.

Chacrana mentioned Lament of Innocence which I also liked.

Tales of Legendia
Ar Tonelico
Generation of Chaos
Metal Gear Acid games
Metal Gear Solid 2's story
Many of the Gundam games

Oh yeah, and Fable. While it didn't have everything that was said at the beginning of its development, it was still a good game on its own. Just need to take it for what it is, and not for what it isn't.

It's why I can't trust reviews. They're always wrong when it comes to me.

Btw Moses, nice avatar ;)

Ape Escape. They've put out the same game with the same gadgets 3 times in a row, but I just can't stop catching those monkeys.

Does Conflict: Desert Storm count? With a friend, of course. I had a lot of great moments on that game, running from tanks and such.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Pretty much anything Koei makes. I own every single Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors game. I love them, and hope Koei makes a million more.

Ninety-Nine Nights was another one. I thought it had a surprisingly good story.

Bulletwitch I found to be fun.

Chacrana mentioned Lament of Innocence which I also liked.

Tales of Legendia
Ar Tonelico
Generation of Chaos
Metal Gear Acid games
Metal Gear Solid 2's story
Many of the Gundam games

Oh yeah, and Fable. While it didn't have everything that was said at the beginning of its development, it was still a good game on its own. Just need to take it for what it is, and not for what it isn't.

It's why I can't trust reviews. They're always wrong when it comes to me.

Btw Moses, nice avatar ;)[/quote]

As I was to say to you! Say, do you know where I can get a Kazumi avatar instead?

[quote name='Moses144']As I was to say to you! Say, do you know where I can get a Kazumi avatar instead?[/QUOTE]
No unfortunately. I just did a search for Gunbuster pics, and cropped mine.

King's Bounty - Genesis tactical game
Picross series
Space Griffon - PSone first-person mech RPG
Eternal Blue 2 - PS2 deep-sea salvage game
Gallop Racer 2003
Blood Will Tell may make the list, too - PS2 action w/great anime story

Red Steel - I still doubt that most critics of RS have spent enough time with it. It would probably be fair to say that many of them have never played it at all. It isn't a great FPS, but isn't bad either and makes great use of the Wii remote. I have no trouble with the controls, actually considering them to be one of the strong points of the game. I think expectations were raised too high for this one.

Castlevania LOI - I thought this was better than the N64 Castlevanias, though I didn't have much of a problem with them either...

Castlevania 64/LOD - Decent games, worth playing if you are/were a fan of Castlevania. I played through these a couple years ago, not expecting much, and enjoyed them. As it was given more time for development, LOD is the better of the two.

Dynowarz - I never knew anyone else that liked this game much, but I remember having a lot of fun with it as a kid. It's a platformer/shooter for the NES. Half your time is spent on the surface of a planet in a dinosaur-mech suit, fighting other mechs. There are also portions where you leave the mech and go out on foot.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XB,GC,PS2,PC) and Perfect Dark Zero (360). I've seen both on multiple lists of absolute worst games and while not amazing, both games are very fun.

[quote name='TC']Voodoo Vince[/quote]

Sorry, but that game was dope no matter how you cut it. It just didn't have enough of a marketing push to sell as many copies as it rightfully should have. The demo hooked me and I went out and bought it shortly after.

My choice? Monster Hunter Freedom. Just not a 'US' style game I guess but I love it.

Adventures of Dino Riki [NES]

Why this of all things? It's not because it's a necessarily good game to most, it's just that it could have been a decent game if some aspects of it were really tightened up. It's nothing more than your standard vertical SHMUP with some nasty jumping elements in there that are thrown off greatly by poor controls, but it was an interesting concept overall.

Then again, the game was plagued by stupid design functions. As much as I like Dino Riki and, say, King's Knight on the NES I'm pretty glad that a lot of SHMUP designers (save for R-Type, which I love anyway) moved far, far away from the "if you didn't memorize this moment you're going to die" situations. There's nothing worse about playing when you notice that unless you're on the other side of the screen, prepped to jump, and have a particularly powerful weapon on hand you're just going to die.

And I also throw in some love for Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, Rygar (PS2), Shikigami no Shiro 1 and 2 (PS2, Mobile Light Force 2 and Castle Shikigami 2 respectively), and...yeah, let's toss Star Ocean 3 in there.

The Gallop Racer series, I can play those forever.

Romance Of The 3 Kingdoms - The only one I never owned was #4 because I could never find it.

Lethal Enforcers - cheesy as all hell but a fun lightgun game non the less

Tech Romancer - One of the most under-rated games of all-time

King of the Monsters.......though that was never really hated

Soul Blade - I still wish for a day for whats his name with the 3 piece nunchuku to make an appearence in a new Soul Caliber game even though he died in this game

Lost Vikings - Not really hated but not really played either which is a crying shame as it holds up quite well for its age

Blackthorn - really can't pin the reason why I love this game but I played the shit out of it.

Last Blade - Not really hated but its been considered as Samurai Showdown's bastard step-child but I prefere it to SS for its defense based play.

The Spot games for the SNES. Really fun platformers

The Last Battle - what can I say, I'm a huge fan of Fist Of The Northstar and it was a fun sidescroller (dug it more than Altered Beast)

[quote name='eldergamer']I remember playing renegade on the NES. Loved it.[/QUOTE]

Hell Yeah! The other post with the box art makes me want to jumpkick motorcycle punks. That, and punching the giant lady make this game a classic.

Evil Zone and Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi. Also, any pre-RE4 RE seems to be hated wround here for some reason..

Rally Cross and Rally Cross 2: I still consider them to be my favorite off-road racers ever. I wish Sony would get off their tails and allow us to download PS1 games directly without using a PS3. (And yes I am aware that I could homebrew it, I am just too dumb/lazy to do so.)

Grabbed by the Ghoulies: I thought it had a good Banjo-Kazooie feel to it. I never finished it, but I did get like 10 hours into it I think...

RD

Excellent point of view on this one, and I agree wholeheartedly. It's a better game than it gets credit for.

[quote name='onikage']Red Steel - I still doubt that most critics of RS have spent enough time with it. It would probably be fair to say that many of them have never played it at all. It isn't a great FPS, but isn't bad either and makes great use of the Wii remote. I have no trouble with the controls, actually considering them to be one of the strong points of the game. I think expectations were raised too high for this one.[/QUOTE]

One example that always springs to mind is Elemental Gimmick Gear. It seems like only Gamespot and I liked the game. I thought it was an incredible old school action RPG.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Chaos Legion (ps2) - incredible action game that, judging from most reviews I read, reviewers never figured out how to play properly

Maken X (dc) - one of my favorite DC games. First-person sword fighting where you posses multiple characters. Very fun - characters designed by the guy who does the Shin Megami Tensei characters, for some added "cool" points. ;)

Black (ps2/xbox) - dunno why everyone seemed to hate this one. Very fun FPS with a lot of "flash".

Genji (ps2) - The original Genji got nothing but flak from people, and I felt it was better than the Onimusha games (and I *love* the Onimusha's).

Vanishing Point (dc/others) - DC racer (well, it was on other systems as well I believe, but it's a DC game to me) with a very steep learning curve. Had some very original concepts that I would have liked to have seen expanded on, but that will never happen now. :whistle2:(

Evil Dead: Hail to the King(DC)- I know this got bad reviews, but for some reason I thought it was pretty fun.

Blue Stinger(DC)

Shenmue(DC)

Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter(Xbox)- yeah, I know it's a Halo rip-off. But when you played the heck out the Halo games, it's nice to have something that is pretty close to it.

Wing Commander 3 & 4(PS1)- I don't know if these got bad reviews, but I know the acting was crappy. But for some reason I still like these two to this day.

Secret of Evermore. It was an awesome take on the Action RPG formula, had a cool setting, a great musical score, and some decent writing.

People hated it mainly because IT WAZUNT JAPANESE ^_^

I love Bomberman 64 multiplayer. I hold it in higher regard than the 2-d Bombermans, and I have yet to find a better party game for my group of friends.

I also love most racing games on the N64 more than anyone else. Particularly World Driver Championship, and then Cruisin' World.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Blackthorn - really can't pin the reason why I love this game but I played the shit out of it.[/QUOTE]
People hated Blackthorne? I loved that game... it was Prince of Persia made by Blizzard... with a gun.

[quote name='argyle']Chaos Legion (ps2) - incredible action game that, judging from most reviews I read, reviewers never figured out how to play properly

Black (ps2/xbox) - dunno why everyone seemed to hate this one. Very fun FPS with a lot of "flash".[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tangytangerine']Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter(Xbox)- yeah, I know it's a Halo rip-off. But when you played the heck out the Halo games, it's nice to have something that is pretty close to it.[/QUOTE]

I liked all these, as well.

Chaos Legion I gave an 8.5 back in the day at GI: http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200306/R03.0808.1434.02654.htm

Black I liked enough to play all the way through. Tons of interactivity and a real focus on the guns. Also one of the best FPS for PS2. Gave it a 4 out of 5: http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamereview?cid=1951034566

Also gave Mace Griffin an 8: http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200307/R03.0717.1140.20369.htm
Not sure where all the hate came from. I thought it was a fine FPS. Those cult guys with the LCD faces were clever, and I'm a huge Rollins fan. Was no Halo, but not too far off, in my opinion.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Evil Dead: Hail to the King(DC)- I know this got bad reviews, but for some reason I thought it was pretty fun.

[/quote]

Heey, I really liked this game too. Did it really get such bad reviews?

Siren.

I loved it, and spent the better part of two months making my way through it (because I'm an unrepentant weenie at survival horror games, despite loving them immensely).

It wasn't razed by critics, but it sure wasn't adored, either.

Mortal Kombat 4 - not sure if anyone really hated it but I don't remember it getting any hype

Fighting Vipers - What happened to this series?

bread's done
Back